WLS support and inspirational information

Options

Replies

• Katz85340
    Katz85340 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I really didn't have issues with stalls - I do know that the closer to the goal I got the slower the weight loss went and I obviously have struggled with regain.

Constipation was an issue. I drank benifiber to make sure I had enough fiber when I really couldn't eat enough to get in the right amount of fiber. It was a daily thing and that seemed to help me stay regular. Then when I could eat more regular - oatmeal and fruits and veggies help me stay regular.

Fatigue - honestly the best thing was to exercise regularly - that sounds odd - I know but it is what helped me most. It energized me and helped. When I didn't (and I don't know) I feel more fatigued. When I'm exercising regularly at a pretty good level I have more energy the rest of the day.

Good luck!

Thank you for your input. I'll try the more fruit and fiber. That may be where I'm going wrong. The exercise thing I know is a problem.
  • Katz85340
    Options
    I get constipated when I don't drink enough water. I drink 64-80 oz. in the winter and 80-100 oz in the summer and that gets my pee to the right color and also keeps constipation at bay.

For fatigue, when I was early out, it was more of an issue. I figured I was still healing and not eating very much so I gave myself a break. Also, I have sleep issues and that was making me tired. I talk to my doctor about it and she gave me a prescription for a mild anti-depressant that has sleepiness as a side effect and told me to take it with melatonin. I resisted for a long time but finally I took it for 2 weeks and it really helped. I had to take it for another two weeks about 2 weeks later but now I almost never take it. I only take it if it takes me more than 45 min. to fall asleep. So maybe once a month.

What does the melatonin do?
  • angelintx
    angelintx Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else having trouble with plateauing, constipation and fatigue?

Yes indeed, all of the above. I've posted several places that I'm struggling with a plateau that I've been on essentially for the last 6-8 weeks, even though I have a ton more weight to lose.

I find that the more protein I get in, the harder my stool. When I was taking protein supplement drinks, I really suffered badly from constipation and got impacted twice (horrible!).

As far as fatigue, I'm battling anemia, hypothyroidism and sleep deprivation (not enough hours in the day to do everything that needs to be done). Also, during my last blood work (run in October), I was referred to a rheumatologist for what appears to be markers for Rheumatoid Arthritis which runs in my family or Lupus. Sadly, my insurance at my new job hasn't kicked in yet, so I can't go get it checked out until mid-February.
  • Happy_JoJo
    Happy_JoJo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Glad to have been "referred" to this board! I'm new to MFP but had my WLS in December of 2008.

I am here to loose my last 40 pounds and will gladly take and give all the support I can here!!!!
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options

It's a hormone that your body produces naturally when it gets dark. It's like a vampire in that it only comes out at night and it's believed that artificial light is enough light to keep it from being produced, at least in some people. So, by taking some right before bedtime, it's supposed to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. Apparently it works really well with jet lag and shift workers.
  • angelintx
    angelintx Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

Glad to have been "referred" to this board! I'm new to MFP but had my WLS in December of 2008.

I am here to loose my last 40 pounds and will gladly take and give all the support I can here!!!!

Welcome Joanne! Glad to see you made it! ;)
  • valj77
    valj77 Posts: 26
    Options
    i had 2 wls...had the band in 2008 and was revised to a sleeve in 2010. im down about 100 lbs. ive been on mfp for a bit but havent logged in regulary, but i have been trying to log my foods better. so here i am...lol
  • Katz85340
    Options

It's a hormone that your body produces naturally when it gets dark. It's like a vampire in that it only comes out at night and it's believed that artificial light is enough light to keep it from being produced, at least in some people. So, by taking some right before bedtime, it's supposed to help you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. Apparently it works really well with jet lag and shift workers.

Hmmmm... I'll check it out! Thanks!
  • frogmama
    Options
    I guess I have lots of that hormone because I fall fast asleep within minutes (maybe 2) of closing my eyes! LOL
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,370 Member
    Options
    Welcome Joann and Val!! You have come at a good time. It seems like this thread is finally alive. I knew if I just be patient that there we many of us out there on MFP who needed a place to vent and get support!!

Regarding items discussed.

I take Meletonin from time to time also. If I exercise regularly I usually fall right to sleep. Still every blue moon I will take some to get to sleep.

I had constipationin the honeymoon period only. Now that I can tolerate just about anything as long as I eat fruits and veggies I am good. I took smooth groove tea and use fiber powder in milk, and hot soups.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    My sleep issues seem to be age related. We make less melatonin as we get older.
  • Happy_JoJo
    Options
    Good morning....

can anyone here answer me this from our experiences with wls. I hate hate hate how when I track my daily food if I don't hit my 1200 goal it tells me I am sending my body into starvation mode blah blah blah. Then I see people on other boards talking about DONT do it, (go under 1200). Anywho...since we've had wls....in the very beginning we were waaaaaay under 1200 maybe 400 or 500.. Sometimes it's a struggle to get the 1200 in now and I bet im not the only one saying that. if eating under 1200 really put the body into starvation mode, how is it then that bariatric surgery works?? just my musings for the day.... :flowerforyou:
  • jenX1174
    jenX1174 Posts: 154
    Options
    bump, so I can come back and read through later :)
  • Katz85340
    Options
    Good morning....

can anyone here answer me this from our experiences with wls. I hate hate hate how when I track my daily food if I don't hit my 1200 goal it tells me I am sending my body into starvation mode blah blah blah. Then I see people on other boards talking about DONT do it, (go under 1200). Anywho...since we've had wls....in the very beginning we were waaaaaay under 1200 maybe 400 or 500.. Sometimes it's a struggle to get the 1200 in now and I bet im not the only one saying that. if eating under 1200 really put the body into starvation mode, how is it then that bariatric surgery works?? just my musings for the day.... :flowerforyou:

I've been wondering that myself since I've been plateauing for a few weeks now. I upped my calories from 1200 to 1303 but still can barely make it to 1200, so not sure how that is helping. I'd love to hear how others have overcome this problem.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,370 Member
    Options
    Good morning....

Joanne,
    I would not try to get to 1200 calories, especially if you are less than 18 months post op and not at goal. I would stick to not eating if not hungry and sticking with 600 to 800 calories or whatever. You can't go by MFP because the site is not set up for WLS patients and people are not aware of it either. So my advice to you is to ignore the recommendations for now. The weight will come off if you continue to eat less than 800 calories. As you mention that is the whole beauty of the WLS is for you to lose the weight faster than the norm.

Continue to go by your doctors recommendations. Your surgeon's recommendations. We taked about starvation mode on this thread earlier in the week if you go back a few pages.
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Yeah, it bugged me a lot too. It was a pet peeve of mine and really pushed my buttons. But now I'm on maintenance so a lot of it rolls off my back since it doesn't apply to me in any way any more.

The reasons not to go under 1200 calories are many, some good and a lot dumb. But even the good ones don't really apply to us.

The main thing I point out when people say not to go under 1200 calories is that this advice is actually supposed to be "don't go under 1200 calories unless you are under a doctor's supervision" and we are under a doctor's supervision.

Oh and the reason why people sometimes eat more calories and break a stall? Water weight. Well, sometimes they were going to show the loss anyway and it's just a coincidence. :laugh: But, a lot of times what happens is that we start to eat less so our body takes calories from the glycogen stored in our muscles to make up the deficit. For every pound of glycogen, it take FOUR pounds of water to store it. So that's an easy 5-10 pound "loss" right there. (We can store 1-2 pounds of glycogen in our muscles.)

But, as we continue to eat at a deficit and the body realizes it's not a short term energy deficit (which is what glycogen is for), it puts the glycogen back and starts pulling from the fat stores instead. This shows on the scale as whatever we've lost that week in fat plus 4-8 pounds of extra water. Unless you've lost more fat than water, the scales will show no loss or even a gain!

Then when you get sick of the scale not showing a loss for a few weeks and eat more calories, your body thinks "famine's over! I can use glycogen for quick energy next time it's needed." And, you lose the 1-2 pounds of glycogen and 4-8 pounds of water again. Ohmigod, it works. If I eat MORE, I LOSE WEIGHT, right? :wink:

Well, as you can see, you haven't really lost fat. It's mostly water and, when you continue to eat that new higher amount which is still a deficit but not as much of one as before, your body (a) loses less fat than it would if you stayed at the lower amount and (b) puts the glycogen and water back which starts the whole process over again!

And this doesn't even take into account our monthly cycles and how they make us retain water and lose it on a regular basis and how that can hid real loses of fat from the scale.
  • frogmama
    Options
    Wow MacMadame, that whole glycogen/water thing seems pretty complicated to me. I'll just aim for 1200. I usually can get close but I do not eat additional exercise calories.
  • Happy_JoJo
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers/suggestions/advice on my question. I really appreciate it!! I am just about 18 months
    out now, and I am using MFP primarily to keep track of what I snack on and hold myself accountable.
    I can't wait to get back to the gym next week and burn off a storm on the elliptical...my FAVORITE!!!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!!!
  • TrudyLea
    Options
    I think the whole don't go under 1200 is UNLESS YOU ARE UNDER THE CARE OF A PHYSICIAN.

I also do believe that our bodies right after WLS are in somewhat of a starvation mode. That is why often time there is hair loss and other side effects that go along with the WLS. The thing is part of "starvation mode" is... well starvation and weight loss. The bottom line is ... when I weigh over 300 pounds I can starve for a year or two and as long as I am getting some nutrients (vitamins prescribed by doctor) and protein and water ... i won'd starve to death!

I think you just have to learn to ignore the little notes from MFP that say you need to eat more...I don't know if you have ever tracked what you eat on obesityhelp but they have a tracker too... you might try it. I doubt they have any such automatic reminders to eat more.