Replies

• IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support:
    Daily Inspiration for February 6, 2011
    Katie Jay, MSW

Find the answers inside you.

Let's face it, many of us had WLS because we were desperate to be healthy and productive. We wanted to chase our kids, grocery shop without the "go cart," or sit comfortably in a theatre seat.

Now that you are smaller, you have different needs. You feel restless, but you don't know what you want. Know that the solution resides inside of you. Your small inner voice knows what you need to do differently, knows what you are avoiding, knows what you desire. Life-transforming WLS recovery requires introspection. So, look inside. And, if you need therapy, get it. No excuses! If you have to get out of your comfort zone, do it. Start the journey within.

Action for the day: Today, resolve to know the inside of you as well as you know the outside. As you heal your body, resolve to heal your soul, in part, by understanding your inner self.

© 2009, Katie Jay. All rights reserved.
  • angelintx
    angelintx Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! Angelintx invited me over here.

I had the duodenal switch weight loss surgery in June 2010. (Go to www.DSFacts.com for more info.) So far, I've lost over 90% of my excess body weight.

I've had some problems after surgery, including an intolerance for artificial sweeteners (so no protein shakes for me), and vomiting (a lot). I'm in treatment for protein malnutrition right now: I'm on TPN for 4 weeks (3 weeks to go).

My main goal is to keep UP my protein intake and vitamin intake. I will have to be able to consume about 100-120 g of protein daily in order to stay nutritionally on track. Of course, most people drink 1/3 of that in protein shakes and don't have to eat so much, but lucky me, I have to eat it! It's hard work on a surgically-altered small tummy that's been tossin' itself on a regular for 7 months.

The good news is that I know I've found the puking culprit: malnutrition! My body has been starving for a long time. Now that it's getting nutrition regularly, I haven't had one incident of puking at all. My upper GI tests have all been normal, no leaks and no strictures. It's all in the food I eat.

The good news is that my weight is falling off fairly easily. I can't believe I wear a size 8. If I were a bit bolder in my style, I'd wear a size 6, but I'm not emotionally ready yet. :-)

I'm here to support y'all in any way I can. I love this site, it's the best one of its kind by far.
    Hey Nicole! Glad to see you made it! :) So glad to hear that you're not vomiting anymore and that you've figured out what was triggering it. A size 8 ... oh to be in your shoes! LOL!!! I'll be glad when I get to a size that begins with a 1! LOL
  • angelintx
    Options
    Amy,
    Just stay focused and you will get there!! I don't know if you watch the Biggest Loser but I loved the week the man wrote the weight he wanted to weigh that week at weigh in on his fore arm as a constant reminder. Do you have something you can where with a number on it as a constant reminder of your goal. They use to recommend this sort of stuff at weight watchers. the called it an Anchor.

I tried the anchor trick yesterday and was surprised how truly helpful it was. I wrote "270" (the weight I'm striving to get to this week) on my finger with a Sharpie marker, and every time I looked at it, I took a drink of my water. It was with me throughout the day and I was consistently aware of it. I think it really helped me stay on track and strive for 100% good choices throughout the day. Thanks for that suggestion, Mollie! I'm doing it again today. :flowerforyou:

Did anyone catch the program Heavy last night? I do enjoy the Biggest Loser, but I really like this program as well and it reminds me that hard work and perseverance is truly what gets you through to the other side of obesity. Once upon a time, I did a medical weight loss program where the instructor used the catch phrase "slime doesn't do PA (Physical Activity)." The point was, morbidly obese people usually have poor self esteem and will allow themselves to think they are "slime" when they make poor food choices or make excuses for not doing some type of activity and choose to be couch potatoes. The catch phrase is a reminder to oneself that even if you just do a little something extra (housework, take the stairs instead of the elevator, park your car further away so you have to walk a little more, etc.), you're making progress. The truth is, whenever I make any healthy choice, I'm not slime, I'm doing it!! :smile: Step by step ... not necessary day by day.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Amy,
    Just stay focused and you will get there!! I don't know if you watch the Biggest Loser but I loved the week the man wrote the weight he wanted to weigh that week at weigh in on his fore arm as a constant reminder. Do you have something you can where with a number on it as a constant reminder of your goal. They use to recommend this sort of stuff at weight watchers. the called it an Anchor.

I tried the anchor trick yesterday and was surprised how truly helpful it was. I wrote "270" (the weight I'm striving to get to this week) on my finger with a Sharpie marker, and every time I looked at it, I took a drink of my water. It was with me throughout the day and I was consistently aware of it. I think it really helped me stay on track and strive for 100% good choices throughout the day. Thanks for that suggestion, Mollie! I'm doing it again today. :flowerforyou:

Did anyone catch the program Heavy last night? I do enjoy the Biggest Loser, but I really like this program as well and it reminds me that hard work and perseverance is truly what gets you through to the other side of obesity. Once upon a time, I did a medical weight loss program where the instructor used the catch phrase "slime doesn't do PA (Physical Activity)." The point was, morbidly obese people usually have poor self esteem and will allow themselves to think they are "slime" when they make poor food choices or make excuses for not doing some type of activity and choose to be couch potatoes. The catch phrase is a reminder to oneself that even if you just do a little something extra (housework, take the stairs instead of the elevator, park your car further away so you have to walk a little more, etc.), you're making progress. The truth is, whenever I make any healthy choice, I'm not slime, I'm doing it!! :smile: Step by step ... not necessary day by day.

I am glad that worked for you Angel. A thearpist had recommended something similar to me but I was not reminded of it until I saw the biggest loser team member doing that.

I put 338 on my screen saver at work. So when I leave my desk for a few minutes and come back 338 is scrolling by and only I know what it means because most people think I weigh in the 200's because of my height. My sister actually weigh's less than me and looks larger because she is much shorter than me. seeing my screen saver keeps me mindful that I am a lady on a mission this year.

I love Heavy and the Biggest loser also. I like Heavy better though just because it is more realistc and you are not isolated for as long. Both shows are very positive but I like the way they go to the thearpist weekly and I feel this is dealing more with the mental side of obesity. TBL is trying but Jillian and Bob are no thearpist for the super morbibly obese. The try but it can not be as beneficial as an hour of thearphy. I don't have cable and I am not at home on Tuesday nights so I watch both shows on line before the following week. Now that Heavy is on and shorter time too, I watch it 1st for sure.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    GROUP QUESTION:

I know this is so silly but I have to throw it out there for fun!

I totally love and get a kick out of the little button that states how much I would weigh if I eat like this for 5 weeks! :love:

Do any of you love this button like I do?:laugh:

Like this morning I hit it once I mapped out my food for today and I take out my exercise calories by using the add calories button (-972) and my little button said 328 something if I ate like this for 5 weeks and I have been on a high all day and I plan to make sure I stick with my plan today so my little button will have me in the 320's in 5 weeks! And this is the 1st time I have seen it say the 320's too, just another confirmation I am coming on down the road.

Is it just me? :ohwell: Please share, I know there is somebody else in this group who loves that nice little baby! :heart: I get so excited from this little thing.:smooched: It has made my day a better one!
  • angelintx
    Options
    GROUP QUESTION:

I know this is so silly but I have to throw it out there for fun!

I totally love and get a kick out of the little button that states how much I would weigh if I eat like this for 5 weeks! :love:

Do any of you love this button like I do?:laugh:

Like this morning I hit it once I mapped out my food for today and I take out my exercise calories by using the add calories button (-972) and my little button said 328 something if I ate like this for 5 weeks and I have been on a high all day and I plan to make sure I stick with my plan today so my little button will have me in the 320's in 5 weeks! And this is the 1st time I have seen it say the 320's too, just another confirmation I am coming on down the road.

Is it just me? :ohwell: Please share, I know there is somebody else in this group who loves that nice little baby! :heart: I get so excited from this little thing.:smooched: It has made my day a better one!

HEHEHE!! It tickles me to see you so excited, Mollie, but you're right!! I too love seeing that number pop up when I complete my food log. I over-estimated on something I ate yesterday and then found the actual nutritional information today and fix it -- it said I would weigh even less in 5 weeks! YAY!! That is probably one of the best features of MFP because it truly shows you what you can expect when you're making the good choices. :)
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I love Heavy! I feel like it is more realistic too but I would love to be able to do the month in the facility where they start out. Geez how lucky they are.

Mollie- I like the little button too it is so funny it told me Sunday that I was not eating enough I just wasn't hungry in the morning and so with lunch and dinner I only got like 900 cals in and it cautioned me like a good parent.:laugh:

Saw doc yesterday and wouldn't you know it my legs were swollen yesterday and I only had lost 5 pounds by his scale. Ugh got up this morning and it was back off again. This happens every time I have to weigh in. Maybe my legs swell out of weigh in anxiety:laugh:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Amy you know it may not be your legs. I always weigh 3 to 4 pounds more in the evenings. Like you said on other thread it will be better next time because you are weighing in the evening again and you have clothes on too. Even if I go to the doctors in the morning I weigh 1 or 2 pounds more because of clothes.

I agree on Heavy! I would never ever want to go on TBL but Heavy for sure because their workout are much more realistic and not all that crazy stuff they do on TBL. Both shows need to focus a little more on foods. A person uneducated about the whole process would think weight loss depends heavyily on exercise.

Angel,
    As you can tell it is one of my favorite features of MFP!! My favorite is the support from all of the threads and my friends!

Good night!
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I loved that button when I was losing, too. But only when it showed a big loss. :laugh:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Weight Loss Surgery Support:
    Daily Inspiration for February 7, 2011
    Katie Jay, MSW

Use exercise as a tool.

Some people love to exercise. As WLS returns their bodies to a healthier, more able form, they embrace exercise with a renewed vigor. Other people do not love exercise, but know that it is considered an essential part of an effective WLS program.

If you are not fond of exercise, it's time to work on changing your mind about it. Exercise is your lifeline. It will make your weight loss and maintenance much, much easier. To make it more palatable, try something entertaining. You can put on music and dance, ride a bike, buy an exercise video that appeals to you, garden, listen to a book on tape while you walk, or find a friend to walk with. Exercise does not have to be torture.

Action for the day: Move your body today in some new way. Also, plan what exercise you'll do for the rest of the week and put it on your calendar. If you worry you may not exercise at a planned time, schedule something with a friend to motivate you.

© 2009, Katie Jay. All rights reserved.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I must share a small milestone for me! I am at 349 and that was my goal this week to get into the 340's. I have not been in the 340's in 2 years!!:bigsmile: It felt good to see that number on my scale!! As many of you know I have been struggling for months and in December I started getting more consistent. I have to say the accountablilty factor with the challenges I have joined is really working for me the last 2 months.

So needless to say I am pumped today! Can you tell? :laugh: One more pound and I will have lost 40 of 80 pounds I regained after having weight loss surgery in 2004. It has been a struggle getting this regained weight off but I am going to do it and I am doing it this year too!! My goal for the year is to get under 300 if I do nothing else this year.

Have a wondeful day today and Happy Hump Day!!:flowerforyou: And thanks for your support!!
  • MacMadame
    Options
    Congrats, Mollie!
  • AmyNVegas
    AmyNVegas Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    Mollie yay!!!! I remember the first time I weighed under 350 I cried I was so happy that was a tough one for me and I swear it was a mental thing I would get there and then gain but then I broke it and the mental issues too I think. Keep it up we can do this!!!!:drinker: :flowerforyou:

And for the weighing thing I always weigh in my clothes in the morning after I shower and get dressed. My scale is downstairs on the tile floor outside the downstairs bathroom so I am always dressed and I always wear the lightest thing I own when I have to weigh in at the doctors. :laugh:

I was down 2 more pounds so far this week woohoo! Twoderville here I come!:bigsmile:
  • MacMadame
    Options
    For me the big deal was when I was no longer MO but only obese. Yeah, I was EXCITED to be obese. I mentioned it everywhere. LOL
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Thanks MacMadame and Amy!!

Oh yeah, when I get out of morbibly obese will be a very joyous occasion too. Especially since my goal is on the low end of obese. I don't think I will ever get to onederland. But too early to think about those milestones for me.

Amy I know you told me but I forgot, how far are you from twoland?
  • angelintx
    Options
    Congratulations Mollie! You're work is stupendous and your consistency is clearly showing up in the results! Truly inspirational! What challenges are you participating in that is helping you achieve your success? I apologize if you've mentioned it before and I'm asking you to repeat yourself. :blushing:

I cannot wait until I can say I am no longer morbidly obese. I was thrilled that my Wii Fit told me my BMI was under 40 finally, but it still shows me at the highest possible end of obese. I'm eager to see that line move downward in the obese scale. LOL Every little bit of encouragement we can get, right!??? :wink:

Amy, twoland is within your grasp and I know you'll get there!!

MacMadame, your journey is an inspiration as well -- I cannot imagine myself at goal yet, but the transformation in your life has just been remarkable! I wonder what my life would be like at goal ... :flowerforyou:
  • Happy_JoJo
    Happy_JoJo Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hey guys.... I guess I'm just going to vent and get it out my system b/c I know you all will understand. It's 7pm where I live and I've eaten all my meals, and tracked my evening snacks...totals 1134....that's beore my 300 exercise calories... I don't think I can stuff anything else in my stomach tonight, and I feel like this alot ...how do you guys handle it??? any suggestions would be appreciated ty ty ...

:noway:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    For me the big deal was when I was no longer MO but only obese. Yeah, I was EXCITED to be obese. I mentioned it everywhere. LOL

I was excited to be obese too-- and thrilled to be overweight!:laugh:
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Mollie, you are doing terrific! Congratulations! We will be here cheering you on to your goal for this year.:smile:
  • angelintx
    Options
    Hey guys.... I guess I'm just going to vent and get it out my system b/c I know you all will understand. It's 7pm where I live and I've eaten all my meals, and tracked my evening snacks...totals 1134....that's beore my 300 exercise calories... I don't think I can stuff anything else in my stomach tonight, and I feel like this alot ...how do you guys handle it??? any suggestions would be appreciated ty ty ...

:noway:

Well, I'm probably not the best one to answer since I get hungry about every 2-3 hours, but can I just say I wish I had your problem? LOL!! Maybe try getting a few more calories in each of your meals throughout the day so you're closer to your goal by 7:00 p.m. -- sorry that is no help to you for last night!! :ohwell: I do not have any problem with intake other than avoiding intaking the wrong things. :blushing: