Daily Commitment Thread for 2020 -- JUST FOR TODAY

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,322 Member
    Kuhl50 wrote: »
    Hi,

I’m new to the group and MFP. Been through multiple other programs, have gained and lost 20-50+ pounds several times over past 30 years...stress/emotional eating. You know the drill. So back on track for 2020, got to keep up with my family and prepare for a healthy retirement. Love the idea of JFT goals.

Welcome!!! You and I have a similar story and I’m also focused on getting healthy for retirement! I have about 5 years to go but I’m really looking forward to it!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Faebert wrote: »
    Hi all - belated happy new year friends!

I have been struggling a bit with recovery from the mastectomies. I ended up going to the emergency GP last weekend and getting prescribed antibiotics, then heading back to hospital 200 miles away on Monday to be checked by my team. Fingers crossed I’m on the mend but it’s been a stressful time. Am under strict instructions to rest right now so goals are minimal...

- Rest ✅
    - Hydrate ✅
    - Stay within calorie goal ✅
    - Protein and veggies ✅

I hope you have all had a wonderful start to the year. Looking forward to being able to rejoin you in making some fitness goals but for now I’m just concentrating on immediate recovery priorities.

I’m so sorry to hear it’s been a struggle. I know it was extremely stressful, physically and emotionally, when I went through it. I’ve been thinking of you, hoping it will be an uneventful recovery! Listen to to medical team and rest. You have the rest of your life to be active!

Sending gentle hugs, my friend! ♥️
  • PackerFanInGB
    Just for Wednesday, 1/1/2020:
    1. Eat Mindfully & journal every single bite >:)
    3. Drink 80+ oz of water :)
    4. 30 minutes activity :)
    5. Take measurements and update on MFP :smile: Done. All are up from last year.
    6. Calm app - one meditation :)
    7. Gratitude Journal before bed :)
    8. Daily reading in my new revised Simple Abundance book :)
    9. Prepare lunch for tomorrow, set out clothing for work, set up coffeemaker and alarm for early morning. :)
    10. Read "Breaking the Diet Cycle" downloaded from Half-Size Me ;)Started it but didn't get through it all.
    11. Listen to Half Size Me podcast :)
    12. Begin 2020's Bullet Journal >:)Ran out of time!

Today at work we had a new clinic go-live that my team and I supported. It was a busy day but went well so I'm feeling good about that. It's nice to get out of the office once in a while and work on site with providers.

Just For Thursday, 1/2/2020
    1. Eat Mindfully & journal every single bite
    3. Drink 80+ oz of water
    4. 30 minutes activity
    5. Calm app - one meditation
    6. Gratitude Journal before bed
    7. Daily reading in my new revised Simple Abundance book
    8. Prepare lunch for tomorrow, set out clothing for work, set up coffeemaker and alarm for early morning.
    9. Finish reading "Breaking the Diet Cycle" downloaded from Half-Size Me
    11. Begin reading from Genesis, Psalms, Proverbs and Matthew.
    12. Begin 2020's Bullet Journal

January's Habit: Log every single bite. Stop "tasting" without logging!

Word of the Year|2020: Succeed / Success
    In 2020, I will succeed in turning 12 old habits into 12 new healthy lifestyle changes.

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,172 Member
    Anyone heard from Bex our Bookmeister lately?

I have not! I think @bookmeister86 is on holiday but not sure about @Bex953172 !

Have not heard anything from @bookmeister86 - but I am thinking maybe she is on vacation. But @Bex .. where are you?/ I wrote @Bex a PM, but have not heard back. I just hope everything is OK!!
  • mytime6630
    So my goals JFT, January 1st:
    1. log all my food :)
    2. mindful eating .. think before I eat :/
    3. get out my gratitude journal, and write something in it before I go to bed tonite :/
    4. in the evening when I want to eat... brush my teeth and drink water. Distract myself with sewing, a walk, or calling or texting a friend. :'(

I'm not off to a very good start this year ... but that changes tomorrow!! I had leftover food left from New Year Eve (homemade lasagna, spinach/artichoke dip, etc), so my eating is way off. Then tonite ... I know I should NEVER go to the grocery store when I am hungry. Once again ... Ice Cream on sale 2 for $7.00, and I think I ate half a box tonite alone!!!

So tomorrow all that changes. Those bad habits want to come back so easily ... they are just waiting for when I am either tired or stressed.

So goals for tomorrow,
    1. log all food
    2. concentrate on water
    3. sew 5 chemo hats
    4. take down outside christmas decorations
    5. mindful eating
    6. start gratitude journal
    7. write out the weeks menu so I know what I will be making each nite.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2020
    • 10.15am: Dance group⛄️
    • 2pm: Shakespeare Study⛄️
    • Laundry⛄️

What Shakespeare study are you doing?

We are just about to study Richard II. Last term we looked at Two Gentlemen of Verona. We look at the political/social aspects of Elizabethan times and how they are linked into Shakespeare's plays.

@Faebert Concentrating on getting well again is not a minimal goal. It's paramount. Once your wounds etc are healed, you can focus on getting back to full strength.
    @Kuhl50 stick with us. It can be done. It takes time and determination, and a permanent lifestyle reset, but you are worth that effort.
    @Snowflake1968 Maybe that's why he was off with you. He's probably been off colour for a while, and worried. They don't really let us know these things, do they. As for goals, luckily we get a new shot at them every single day. Hope you get a good night's sleep and wake up ready to rock and roll!!!

Was wondering about Bex and Bookmeister myself. I expect they are embroiled in RL and will hopefully be back soon.

@clicketykeys Well done on the 5.2 miles. And I think Christmas baggage is a seasonal thing which we can soon discard.

How about a New Year 5 lb Discard Challenge. I'll start it off.

2020 - Jan Discard 5lb Challenge
    Name: Terri
    SW: 152.1 (02 Jan)
    GW: 147.1

My word for the year: DEPTH
    I've been looking into the concept of a Depth Year.
    3t1u83b7a6jg.png
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Friday January 3

Log accurately
    Stay in the green
    5 fruit and veg
    Water
    Fitbit exercise goals
    Loose the recent 5kg gain (-0.5 so far) :)
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,238 Member

JFT Thursday
    - Work 8 hours :smiley:
    - Protein bar for breakfast :smiley:
    - Pack lunch and snack :smiley: Leftover soup beans & cornbread, celery & peanut butter
    - Get out of my office and work in the lab today. :neutral: Nah, but that's ok
    - Drink at least as much water as soda :smiley:
    - Send girls a grocery list for our first cooking lesson :smiley:
    - Cooking lesson :smiley: It was awesome!
    - Family Dinner :smiley: Always a pleasure
    - More Deuteronomy :smiley: Finished Deuteronomy (Finally) and finished Joshua
    - Log all and end up green :smiley: Hell Yeah!
    - Bed by 11:00 :smiley:
    - Choose to be happy :smiley:

With the exception of working in the lab rather than at my desk, I rocked yesterday! Cooking with the girls went really well. Okay, the 14yo was a bit snarky, but she was there and didn't actually complain. The meal turned out really well, though I forgot to slice the pineapple. Oh well that was more a dessert than a meal.

I FINALLY finished reading Deuteronomy and then breezed through Joshua. With exception of the few chapters about who got what land, it was rather an easy read. Interesting and not too repetitive. Now onto Judges. If I remember correctly this is a good book, easy to read with nuggets of gold.

I rode my Peloton today, but it was tough to get up. The problem is that I've been waking around 4:00 AM, which is too darn early. My alarm is set for 5:30 AM. If I go back tot sleep, I don't want to get up at 5:30. If I don't go back to sleep, I'm exhausted. Today I just kept bumping my time back to the very last minute which is 6:30. If I ride at 6:30, I can shower and only be 30 minutes late for work, but there is no makeup or hair happening.

Today is my Admin's last day, so I'm taking her out after work. We are going to our local greasy hamburger dive bar, so I'll have a beer or two and maybe some brew fries. I'll aim for green today, but settle for maintenance. The trick will be pre-logging and having a light lunch, maybe just a protein bar & celery. Yeah I can do that. Glad I rode this morning!

JFT FRIDAY!!!!!
    - Peloton :smiley: 30min
    - Breakfast protein bar :smiley:
    - Water > Soda
    - Work in Lab today, set up & validate New Method
    - Read in Judges
    - Light Lunch
    - Log EVERYTHING
    - Stay Green or at least under 1600
    - Be good at the bar
    - Bed by 11:00

Have a great Friday Y'all!!!!
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,441 Member
    Recap 1/2 Th ~ Back to work after 12 days off and boy, was it hard to get out of bed this morning!
    1) Move hourly / stairs breaks / 5 somethings = Fitbit 9,449 steps, 250+ 12/14 (dinner w/ hubby) & 29 floors :)
    2) Change clothes & leave early for workplace mindfulness hike (bah ~ not enough snow for showshoes) = Mild weather & muddy/standing water in spots (in Dec.!!!), more "mindful" than hiking but great to be outdoors! App tracked 0.54 miles. :smiley:
    3) Prelog meals & snacks / not sure of supper plans since hubby not at work tonight / 14c water = Dinner out w/ hubby at locally owned Italian restaurant & had fabulous time. Server was working her first table EVER, and she did a good job... food was correct & delicious, only several screw-ups on the check, which we had to work through with her (in the end, got 3 separate checks, the final one being correct). Since we weren't in a hurry and the place wasn't packed, we chatted with her throughout the evening. I think she appreciated our laid back attitude, which is a goal of mine this year, to be extra-kind to those assisting/serving me. Anyway, I had 1 adult beverage & ate < half my entree, then guesstimated for food log. Net cals -215 (not so bad :neutral: ), sodium -230, sugar -21, fiber low :/ , protein low :( , 15c water
    4) Wish niece/goddaughter happy bday <3 / schedule annual physical & shingles vaccine :) / catch up work inbox since absence :neutral: mostly / PA-F draft L&C issued :) / PA-RM final request to Bob K (really??? my managers are so off-base sometimes >:) )
    5) Spend evening w/ hubby <3 / unplug 9:00 :/ 9:30 / FLOSS (let this go on vacation :s ) >:) so tired after back at work & out w/ hubby / retainers :smiley: / bed & tv off 10:20 :smiley:

JFT 1/3 F ~ Finally back to total reality: I'm at work & hubby works his shift tonight. Decided today is rest day.
    1) Meals (leftovers) & snacks prelogged / net calories zero / 14c water
    2) Move hourly / stairs breaks / 5 somethings
    3) Finish clearing inbox / usual weekly status reports / progress on assigned audits
    4) Evening: shoe shop (I hate this so maybe adding here I will do it... I really need replacements, plus there are sales) / Target (use cc to keep from closing) / Walgreens (coupon for cards) / balance bank accts / update budget s/s / other?
    5) Unplug 9:30 / FLOSS / retainers / bed & tv off 10:30
  • How do I join this group?
  • mytime6630
    edited January 2020
    Terri .. thanks for starting the challenge! I gained 7 pounds over the holidays, but I am hoping that weight comes off as fast as it went on. Very discouraging how quickly those pounds can come back. I'm so ready for this challenge!

2020 - January Discard 5lb Challenge
    Name: Joan
    SW: 185.4 (Jan 3)
    GW: 180.4
    CW: 185.4

So goals for today, Friday, Jan 3
    1. log all food
    2. concentrate on water
    3. sew 5 chemo hats
    4. Learn how to delay gratification --- drink water, sew, anything to distract myself from eating
    6. mindful eating
    7. start gratitude journal
    8. write out the weeks menu so I know what I will be making each nite.

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Good morning! Husband soup is pretty tasty. I'm a little achey after my core work yesterday, but I did it! I'm going to try to do that and the yoga for balance today. We're going to visit my parents for a late lunch. I might see if I can manage an inside run after lunch. And I want to clean off my desk, and make a necklace for a friend. Also I have my gloves sitting out and I don't really have a place for them. I need to find one. ETA: And I'm going to try to put the laundry away. There's not a lot, but hopefully if I put it away when there isn't a lot, it won't be as much of a chore! (Hopefully.)

So, the place I thought I could go for a run inside allows walking but not running. (It's a mall that has been converted into office space.) And it's raining and cold again today, so I won't be running. I'm going to try to do some yoga later. Found a spot for my gloves, got the necklace made, desk is mostly cleaned off. Finished putting laundry away this morning but now there's a new load going. *sigh* It never ends.

Blogging is a struggle. I'm determined to get the post I started yesterday finished and it would be nice to knock out another one before I head to the garden for my last shift as Mrs. Claus. I'm feeling unsettled and discouraged. I think I also need to check my semester overview.
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Thank you lovely ladies for the kind words. I’m feeling a bit better and finish the antibiotics today. Next consultant appointment is on 16th and I’m hoping things will be looking a lot better by then! I lost the post op bloat but then Christmas came so I’m sure I’ve gained a little. Still fitting my clothes but some are more snug! I’m aware I need to prioritise protein for recovery so just trying to stay mindful without restricting too far.

- Walk and shopping ✅
    - Baking with the kids ✅
    - Hydrate ✅
    - Stay within calorie goal ✅
    - Protein and veggies ✅

X
  • pridesabtch
    How do I join this group?

You just did. Welcome!
  • pridesabtch