Daily Commitment Thread for 2020 -- JUST FOR TODAY

Options

Replies

• mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options

LOVE this idea Terri! Thank you so much for getting it started again. I don't have a way to track my steps, so for me, I am going to do a "time" since our gym is closed

🐰Let’s get Hop! Hop! Hopping!🐰
    🐰Hit your Daily Step Goal🐰
    🐰Earn an Easter Bunny🐰

Terri: TerriRichardson112
    Daily Step Goal 7500
    Mar: 19

Joan: Joan6630
    Daily Goal: 45 minutes of planned exercise (walking, etc) a day
    March 19
  • mytime6630
    Options
    Name: Joan
    5'11"
    69 yrs old
    My weight history:
    SW Year 2017: 217
    SW Year 2018: 195.5
    SW Year 2019 : 206
    SW Year 2020: 182.6
    1st GW: 185.4 :) Met this goal
    2nd GW: 175 - and learn to maintain
    Ultimate goal: 165-170, and maintain
    Goals for 2020:
    These are the healthy habits I would like to do in 2020:
    1. Lose 15 pounds to get to my ultimate goal of 165, and then learn how to maintain it.
    2. To be better with planning my meals each week
    3. to get up in the morning, and have a rough idea of what I plan to eat the rest of the day.
    4. To stop mindless eating. To learn how to eat to live, not live to eat.
    5. To make drinking water a regular habit.. and drink 8+ glasses of water a day
    SW: Jan 3: 185.4
    SW Feb 1: 178 (-7.4 lbs)
    SW March: 183.6 (I was down to 176.6. Then, spent 2 weeks emotionally eating, just not caring. Time to get serious, and remember how I lost weight, but more importantly, remember how I can easily gain weight!.
    2020 - March
    March 8: 183.6
    Mar 10: 180.6
    March 15: 183.0 - my own fault .. 2 days of stress eating. Time to get serious
    March 17: 181

JFT, Wed
    1. log all food:)
    2. concentrate on water:)
    3. mindful eating:)

JFT, Thurs
    1. log all food
    2. Daily challenge - 45 min planned exercise
    3. concentrate on water
    4. mindful eating
    5. work on charity quilt

• clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    JFT Thursday
    1. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Balance work. Feed cats. Meds. Tea! Review plans.
    2. Update class websites. Reply to students.
    3. Grading: Narratives, classwork; unfinished book reports, research essays and poetry projects. *SIGH*
    4. Run - aim for 5 miles. Write a post on Lang8.
    5. Write and publish a blog post. Begin The God of Small Things. Color!
    6. Drink more water. No, more. Keep the pitcher in the fridge full. You're not actually hungry. Make some tea. Drink more water!
    7. Update Goodreads. Yoga with core/balance work. Email B. Email student. Message Z.
    8. Gratitude journal. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Meds. Floss, rinse, brush teeth.

Scale goals
    End of 2017: 174.6
    End of 2018: 189.2
    End of 2019: 196.4
    End of January: 194.6
    End of February: 196.2
    Today: 197.0

Ongoing plans/ideas behind the cut
    1. Purchases: Look for an "ugly Christmas sweater" and a long-haired doll at thrift stores. Practice French braiding. Go to used bookstore and look for On Writing (Stephen King), Dying for a Paycheck (Robin Hardman), The Prince (tr. Tim Parks, Russell Price, or Robert Adams), The Secret Adversary (Christie).
    2. E2: What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Create vocabulary lists for each unit that come from the texts used: Animal Farm, Julius Caesar, Wes Moore, I Am Malala. Find a way to incorporate changing words from one part of speech to another. Students need to know how to review multiple sources and synthesize information in order to draw a conclusion. Need practice with the difference between transitions and overlapping (at end of paragraph - "another issue is Y" vs "there are other issues besides X"). Quit using "in conclusion" and "I believe" and other writing-about-my-writing phrases. Confusion between direct/indirect objects and prepositional phrases. Use the UDHR and the Declaration of Independence to study paraphrasing; use that to front-load Machiavelli and how to deal with challenging texts. Confusion between everyday / every day and similar constructions.
    3. E1: Need practice with quoting & paraphrasing sources, identifying claims that would need support, use of last names for reference, and capitalization practice (common/proper nouns, titles). Difficulty using possessive nouns in their own writing. Honors: practice subject/object pronouns (my friend and I / my friend and me). Poetry: Revise "Songs are Poetry" handouts.
    4. Curriculum Development: Writing mini-unit. Review scholarly research on 5PE. (I think I can have this as an intro to the research unit so that they also get exposure to how quotes are integrated and cited.) Parallel structure; use of emotional language, specific detail. Use "Write About a Pebble" lesson from Atwell. How long should each unit take? Do research on characteristics: curiosity, persistence, resilience, creativity, responsibility, optimism, courage, integrity, authenticity, leadership, self-awareness, humility, compassion - others? Include grammarly check on essays! Review assessments. What is the purpose for each unit? What should the controlling ideas be in a study of world literature? Review world lit options. Schedule assessments for Fall 2019; plan out return times. Write 1 reflection weekly; type one in Classroom by Weds. Copy-paste to discussion board for comments due Friday. PB usernames 6 digits, no 19 or 20s, no birthdates. Homework: Online journal Mon due Tue; Reflection Tue due Wed; C&P journal in class Wed; Comments Thu due Fri. Bonus if you are the first response; further bonus if you respond to comments on your post. Grammar practice Mon & Wed; quiz Fri.
    5. Professional Development: Write blog post weekly. Comment on 3 posts each week - Tu Th Sun? Check with PSC. Talk with Z about articles and/or conference proposals. NOTE: ATTENDED PRE FLEX DAY.
    6. Medical: Dentist Apr 30 8 AM but check on meetings and RS. Onco Apr ???. PCP Schedule for July. ObG schedule for October. PCP - allergy shots?
    7. Theater: 1984.
    8. House: Crawl space repairs. After that - siding? Or perhaps bathroom floor.
    9. Fun: Open beading on Thursdays. Coloring at library on Tuesday. Put jewelry away. Edney Hack Nights alt Weds. ASL? Spanish/Portuguese practice? Practice piano. ROL Secret Adversary. Buy new bikes and bike rack for car.
    10. Volunteering ideas: Theater. Library. Animal shelter. Community Kitchen. Emerge Georgia training.
    11. Family: Google Hangout.
    12. Other: Practice hair braiding with D. Check on appts for drs. Remind D to ask his dad about the table and check with home repair contractors. START BLOGGING AGAIN. 3 posts/week? Create test for MLA format. Create test for infographics and visual information. Therapy exercises: lunges, push-ups, ankle lifts, box jumps, plank. Remember that M does not like surprises! Check dates of classes and update semester plan. She Should Run vision statement. Update standards on board. When to change bulletin board?

WFTY: Progress. Fell off the bike yesterday. Did not need stitches or ER, fortunately. Didn't get a lot else done though.
  • cory17
    cory17 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Got more done today than yesterday & ate less. It helps if I plunge in and get started with something, anything. Got in for the reassure dh 3d mammogram. Passed by Walmart (empty shelves & cases but found cheap pizza for dh) and Sprouts (grapes on sale). Both places say there's lines waiting outside in am to snatch any tp & sanitizer etc. At Costco yesterday, staff say the lines to get in start by 5am & restock is gone within 45 min of store opening; & they ration the line going to that room. The lack of traffic on the freeways is beautiful though. I'm avoiding the telly - there's so much fear in the air & uncertainty and palpable panic. Just going to focus on the here & now.

Tomorrow JFT:
    No shopping
    Walk dog
    Set up regimen for meals
    Pot overgrowth of succulents
    10 in am 10 in pm authorizations (at least)

@Bex Here's good wishes that Ash recovers quickly, not covid, and a belated Happy Bday
  • mytime6630
    Options
    Bex953172 wrote: »
    We are all in isolation :/
    Ash possibly has it, either way, he's really sick right now. Probably going to ring the NHS111 service and see what they think we should do, just cause he has asthma.

It also annoying that he's OTT when he's ill. Where as I'm more suck it up and get on with it. Because you never know how sick he really is where as you can tell with me

If that makes sense. Either way, were stuck in.
    Although I need to drop car off for its MOT. We cleaned the whole thing inside and out though yesterday so I'll take some anti-bac wipes and wipes the steering wheel, door handle, gearstick, levers and keys before handing it over.

Oh my -- I hope that Ash does not have this virus, but more importantly, I hope he gets better quick. You all stay safe!!

This virus shows us all how small the world really is... and how connected we all are! But it sure does make us all realize how many things we take for granted. Just not being able to see friends is hard, and do all the things we do without thinking. Here in the states, most restaurants, movie theatres, malls, etc are ALL closed. I am fortunate in that I already work from home, and hubby and I have always been pretty much home bodies, but I feel so badly for young families. Kids home from school, no movie theatres to take them to, restaurants all closed... what a nightmare all this is! I am just so thankful for my hobbies right now!

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    Just stopping in to say hi.
    I like the step challenge how many should we be aiming for to get a bunny?
  • asthesoapturns
    asthesoapturns Posts: 313 Member
    Options

Log food <3
    Stay green <3
    Less snacking :s
    Legs day :s
    Drink. More. 50oz, at least. :s

Mom has symptoms that could be the beginning of the virus or a flare of her asthma and/or sarcoidosis. Realistically speaking, they are more likely to be her asthma than anything. Stress is a trigger. She is hugely stressed by my sister and her family still being on a cruise ship. How they will get from the port back home is very much a question to which we don't know the answer. She's been advised to self isolate and to monitor herself closely just to be safe. Me? My work has decided that I'll keep coming into work unless Mom develops concrete symptoms.

Log food
    Stay green
    Exercise in some format
    Drink
    Breathe. Keep breathing.

I hope everyone who is feeling ill feels well soon. Those who are still healthy I hope remain that way.
  • Kuhl50
    Kuhl50 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Daily habits: track, exercise, journal
    Wednesday Action Plan
    1. Wake 0540, pill, feed pets😀
    2. 0555 at computer for call😀
    3. 0615 second pill😀
    4. 0630 Make coffee, Put Apple in fridge and water bottle at desk😁
    5. Make breakfast—Kashi, yogurt and put at desk😀
    6. Back On computer, video ready at 0700😀
    7. Take Sudafed🤨—forgot, but also didn’t feel too congested
    8. Prepped salad for lunch + protein shake 😀
    9. Healthy choice for dinner 😀
    10. Prep salads for next 2 lunches 😀
    11. Upstairs by 9, journal, lights out 9:30👿

Another non-stop day. Working at home is harder than going to work! Or at least working at home during a crisis. Hope everyone is keeping their chin up, their food tracked, and taking care of mental health!

Daily habits: track, exercise, journal
    Thursday Action Plan
    1. Wake 0545, pill, walk +squats + dumbbell row, yoga, pill
    2. Put Apple in fridge and water bottle at desk
    3. On computer, video ready at 0755
    4. Take Sudafed
    5. Healthy breakfast at desk
    6. Prepped salad for lunch + chicken
    7. Upstairs by 9, journal, lights out 9:30
  • ZizzyBumble
    ZizzyBumble Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thursday March 19

Log
    Stay in the green
    Water
    5 fruit and veg
    Fitbit exercise goals

I’m in for the bunny challenge please. 🐇 I’ll use my normal Fitbit exercise goals 5 miles, 10000 steps and 30 mins activity.
  • Bex953172
    Bex953172 Posts: 4,073 Member
    Options
    If I can find an app that counts my steps then I might just join in the challenge!

Ash seems considerably better today? Still a bit off though.

I think the most frustrating thing is not knowing? Because as far as I'm aware they only test people at high risk to check for covid.

I'd hate for Ash to be that poorly and for me to have a cough for weeks and it's not covid. Not that I WANT it but if I've not had it already then I can still catch it lmao
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,098 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    We all feel off kilter. After all, our whole lives have suddenly changed. But we can still do this!

Our best chance is to try to keep everyone as healthy as possible so that we can beat this.
    Together in Adversity!
    jeschepp wrote: »
    Hello my
    community,
    Does anyone else feel like this week has lasted ten years? It seems like last week was SO long ago. Bad news/good news. Bad news is I am slacking on some health goals. I've been staying up late (sorry @beachwalker99, I need to get back on track!), not eating so well, and getting very little done. I know the news is impacting me. I'm trying to be kind to myself and take small steps where I can to get back on track. It's hard. Good news is my interview went SUPER well! The lead said I should have an offer this week. Any advice on negotiating an offer? I am thinking ask for 10% more? Let me know thoughts. Also work has been better. They are FINALLY rapid training us all in telehealth, and I got into a last-minute training yesterday. HOPING they soon set a limit of no in-person sessions or even better (if emergency legislature passes) send us home and let us do telehealth from home. *fingers crossed* Anyway, stay safe out there and thanks everyone for always being there.
    @TerriRichardson112 Shamrock me for yesterday (17) please, last day back on track!
    We finished shamrocks on Monday 😂
    @Bex953172 Happy Birthday! I think the rule is when there is a pandemic you get a redo in 6 months :)
    @kathsk53 I love your attitude, such a great mindset!
    @SERmom3 Your family is in my thoughts, I would be worried too. I am sure your husband will be ok.
    @bookmeister86 Let me know if you get stir crazy, I'd be happy to give you my number and do a call or video chat!
    @TerriRichardson112 I love the Easter goal! I will also be using fitness minutes. I'll be starting low because that's where I'm at! GOAL: 15 minutes/day
    Quote and add your name and goal to the last challenge post. Update as you go.
    Just for Today-Wednesday
    go to bed between 9-10 (previous night) ❌
    1/2 report ❌
    drink 80 oz water
    DO DISHES ❌
    Tidy up for 15 minutes ❌
    Meet daily recs for the 5 food groups ✅
    Stay in the green (1.2-1.4k calories) ✅
    Track food, exercise, water, daily goals, post on JFT ❌

Just for Today-Thursday
    Drink 80 oz water
    Wind down by 10
    Work on one priority task for 15 minutes
    Move your body 15 minutes-HOP TO IT!
    Meet daily recs for the 5 food groups
    Stay in the green (1.2-1.4k calories)
    Track food, exercise, water, daily goals, post on JFT
  • beachwalker99
    beachwalker99 Posts: 960 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @TerriRichardson112 - "Together in adversity!" is a great motto. Thanks for helping us support each other by setting up aother challenge. Here's my goal. It's a stretch, but I need to push myself to stay off the couch.

Gwen: Beachwalker99
    Daily Step Goal: 10,000

@Bex953172 - I'm sure it's so stressful to be ill and not know whether it's this virus. Glad to hear Ash is doing better. Hope he's soon back up to speed and that you stay well. And if you want to join the challenge, why don't you just use a certain number of minutes as your goal? If it helps us to get moving, I don't think it matters how we count our activity.

@jeschepp - Congratulations on a great interview! I'm so happy for you, and so glad that your job is moving to telehealth. That's a lot to celebrate. Hope you get a fantastic offer! I'm glad to hear that you're being kind to yourself. These are extraordinary times, so just getting through the day can seem like victory. I've been staying up too late as well, and my JFT goals often seem more like a wish list than a plan. But one day at a time, right? Hang in there; we'll both get the sleep thing figured out eventually.

@Snowflake1968 - Good to see you popping in! Hope all is well. We're setting our own goals (in steps or minutes) for bunnies. Hope you join us!

@clicketykeys - Hope you aren't too sore after your fall, but glad you didn't need a trip to the ER. Like you, I'm buried under a mountain of grading this week. Good luck with getting yours done!

@aubyshortcake - Yikes! I understand your stress over rabies. It freaks me out too. I think I've had a fear of it ever sice I read Old Yeller as a kid. I'm so glad you witnessed the encounter between your dogs and the raccoon and were able to get right on it.

@Kuhl50 - Great job hitting all those goals despite being so busy! Thanks for reminding us to take care of our mental health - always important, but especially so during stressful times.

@asthesoapturns - So many illnesses are triggered by stress, and trying to maintain calm when we're worrying about family is tough. Hope you and your mom can find some calm.

@mytime6630 - Thank you for reminding me that, while we take so much for granted, we also have much to be grateful for. We really are all connected, and we're all facing these tough times together. This week, I've found myself drawn to the stories of ordinary people reaching out in all kinds of ways to help others - a powerful reminder that we'll get through this too together.
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,479 Member
    Options
    Recap W 3/18
    1) Move hourly / stairs breaks / 5 somethings = Fitbit 8,036 steps, 250+ 13/14 & 35 floors :)
    2) Net calories green / 14c water = Net cals green 66 :smiley: sodium -88 :) sugar green :smiley: fiber & protein ok :) 15c water (including hot tea)
    3) Watch Lent service via video ~ so glad Pastors M & H are doing this! :smiley:
    4) Deal w/ Cognos Admin emails/labs :/ / now that I finally have operational Surveillance footage, start testing GA-ROP :)
    5) Apply for absentee ballot for April 7 :) / shop Sam's after work & see what I can get :| / maybe x-train otherwise rest day :) / other to-do's? :) balanced bank accts, scheduled bill payments, updated budget s/s
    6) Unplug 9 :( / floss :smiley: / retainers :smiley: / bed & no tv 10 :smiley:

JFT R 3/19 ~ first day of spring
    1) Trust God
    2) Move hourly / stairs breaks / 5 somethings
    3) Net calories green / 14c water
    4) Cognos Admin emails/labs / finish reformatting docs / test GA-ROP / 3:30 conference call (set up e-account prior)
    5) Evening: x-train / wash dishes / declutter 15 min. / other?
    6) Unplug 9 / floss / retainers / bed & no tv 10

My daily "bunny" goal is 10,000 steps even though that's a stretch on rest or x-training days.

Personally, I was overwhelmed, all right, annoyed, when multiple people were updating the (not always most recent) challenge post. IMHO I think it best if one person tracked and updated the bunnies. @TerriRichardson112 did a fabulous job keeping all the shamrocks organized!

2020 Goals
    1) Get weight below 160# (last time was 4/20/19)
    2) Plan meals most days & prelog meals/snacks whenever possible on MFP
    3) Post weekly weigh-in on JFT for accountability
    4) Take measurements & log on MFP monthly (I stopped as weight plateaued & went up) = 2.1.20 / 2.29.20
    5) Exercise 5-6x per week (minimum 4x) ~ mostly walking but include weights/circuit & other x-training
    6) Participate in race events ~ have planned 7 5Ks and 2 10Ks at minimum = Frenzy on the Fox 5K 49:36 ave. pace 15:29 / Seroogy's Valentine 5K 46:26.7 ave. pace 14:47
    7) Be considerate and loving to hubby and have fun together
    8) Make efforts to keep in touch with parents, siblings and friends (most live in other towns or states)
    9) Declutter home office, bedroom and basement = basement (boxes) Jan. / home office desk (some) & more basement boxes Feb. / basement boxes Mar.
    Word for 2020: Persist
  • beachwalker99
    beachwalker99 Posts: 960 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Morning all. It's a rainy day, so I'm hoping to get a lot done around the house.

Yesterday went pretty well, and I got a lot done before dinner. After dragging for a couple of days, I finally got out for a long, restorative walk in the park. There were a good number of people out on the paved paths, but the pup and I stuck to the woodland trails around the reservoir and along the stream and had them mostly to ourselves.

After dinner, my sister called me in tears, worrying especially about her younger daughter who is pregnant and has an 18-month-old going to daycare. She's sad that she can't see her grandson, since she's immune-compromised and avoiding contact with people who aren't self-isolating. We talked for a long time - well, mostly I let her talk and tried to offer a bit of support. I think one of the hardest things about this crisis is we can't all be together. My daughter is also struggling, trying to do her part and help her boys adjust to the changes, but suffering from the onslaught of bad news and the sense of isolation. Her husband is still going into work, and I'm concerned that if I spend time with her family, I won't be able to be there for my mom who lives alone. My dilemma is how to balance the needs of various family members for support and safety. I still haven't worked it out.

The good news is that my husband will be home this weekend, and we'll try to come up with a plan. I am so looking forward to that first hug! :)

Goals for Wednesday, March 18, 2020
    • Complete food log and maintain a calorie deficit - √
    • Walk outdoors 30+ min - √ - Got in a good long walk
    • Check in with family - √ - Spent about 4 hours on the phone or texting.
    • Online class - √ - Most of the students logged in and submitted work
    • Work on spring “to do” list - √ - Started pulling out my Spring wardrobe and trying things on, sometimes with comic results. Lots of NSVs to cheer me up.
    • Grading/Email/LMS updates – 25% - Still avoiding the grading, but got through email and the most pressing updates
    • Self-care activity – √ - I’m counting the two hours I spent In the park
    • Bed by midnight – X

JFT Goals for Thursday, March 19, 2020
    • Complete food log and maintain a calorie deficit
    • Bunnie challenge! 10,000 steps
    • Check in with family
    • Work on spring “to do” list
    • Grading/Email/LMS updates
    • Self-care activity
    • Bed by midnight
  • cschmitz110515
    cschmitz110515 Posts: 3,479 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Recap W 3/18

My daily "bunny" goal is 10,000 steps even though that's a stretch on rest or x-training days.

Personally, I was overwhelmed, all right, annoyed, when multiple people were updating the (not always most recent) challenge post. IMHO I think it best if one person tracked and updated the bunnies. @TerriRichardson112 did a fabulous job keeping all the shamrocks organized!

Word for 2020: Persist

Would it help if we each kept track of our bunnies on our own posts and just pulled together one post at the end with final scores? I think that Would reduce the number of long “quoted” Bunny posts and the potential for errors when not using the most recent post?

I love this idea. I tracked my own shamrocks (number, dates) for the shamrock challenge myself and compared to the combo post by @TerriRichardson112 .

Btw, how little I knew my Word for 2020 would test me!