Canning Club!

Options

Replies

• mobymarsh
    mobymarsh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    a marrow is like a large courgette it does not have any meat substance in it at all it is part of the squash family
  • mobymarsh
    Options
    MARROW CHUTNEY

3lb of marrow pealed and deseeded and chopped up into small chunks

2lb of onion peeled and chopped

3pints of malt vinegar

2oz powdered mustard

1/2oz powdered ginger

1/2oz tumerick

12 cloves

6 chillies

1lb sugar

corn flour

9 half pound jars with screw lids

put the vinegar in a large pan with the ginger, mustard, tumerick and sugar heat through until the sugar has desloved then bring to the boil.

put the cloves and chillies in a muslin bag because these will be removed when cooked and add to the pan.

then add the marrow and the onion to the pan and bring to the boil for 20mins stirring to prevent sticking when the veg are soft mix a little vinegar with the cornflour add to the mixture and stir until thick.

remove the lids to the jars and put the jars in the oven to sterilise for five mins gas mark 3.

then while mixture is still hot add to the jars screw the lids on and wait for them to seal

enjoy.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Aww no canning folks? I just picked up another 2 bushels of apples and the honey.

Next month they have citrus: oranges, grapefuits and tangerines... Any one have some favorite recipes involving any of those?
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Any of the canning people still around?

I have about a bushel of oranges to deal with. I was thinking about canning the bulk that we don't eat. Anyone can citrus? I've seen you should mix oranges with grapefruit for best flavor, but how bad is it if you don't add grapefruit?

Happy New Year btw!
  • mobymarsh
    Options
    not sure about canning citrus but i have seen it used in recipies on TV
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I have never canned citrus either.............would probably be good though, YUM!!

Orange marmalade would be awesome too!!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    yea! I get to be the citrus guinea pig! hehe I'll get back to you as to what happens with it.
  • mobymarsh
    Options
    i have made leon and orange curd
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Howdy canners!

Just a reminder for those of you who are planning on doing pressure canning to get your gauge tested by your local extension office.

And for those new to pressure canning - the purpose of checking the gauge is to ensure you are getting up to the proper pressure so you kill the bacteria. For example, my canner's gauge reads 1lb OVER what the pressure is inside. You want to especially make sure it doesn't read UNDER.

Happy Spring everyone! I'm planning to go pick strawberries and make some jam soon.

Hope everyone is well!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for strawberry season!!!

We have organic fields close to my house so I am going to make some strawberry jelly for my husband again this year and freeze some for me..........

And of course eat lots and lots of them fresh!!!

I also have a container garden going with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers so far..............

I really want to plant some watermelon. YUMM
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    I used to go strawberry picking out in the Fenton area when I was a kid. It's sooo much fun. Strawberries just started coming in here - only one farm I know of that has them so far. I'm thinking about doing other berries later in the season as well.

Oh berries are so heavenly!

Grokette, are you a raw eater?
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    getting very excited for the upcoming canning season!
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    We bought two flats (16qts) of local organic strawberries about a week ago... so I now have 16 half pints of jam, 2 loaves of strawberry bread, 9 muffins, and 15 bags of individual servings of frozen strawberries to eat later in the year.

I love it!

Oh, and I know this isn't "canning", but it is home food preservation related: I received a FoodSaver for Xmas. I'm in love. It's great. So for those of you into the food preservation, it's another device that is super simple to use and can help a lot to preserve the great products of summer.

One last thing, anyone know anything about preserving oats? We are getting a 50# bag of steel cut oats on the 6th and I'm not sure what to do to keep them "fresh" or how long they are good for.
  • mobymarsh
    Options
    the plums are now off the tree and either in the freezer or in one of the thirty jars of plum jam on my shelf, there is also elderberry jam and strawberry jam and rhubarb and ginger jam and tomato jam.

on the savoury side i have done piccalilli pickled onions beetroot tomato relish and tomorrow i will be starting the marrow pickle.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Oooh! You remembered this thread! I'm so happy!

I've been a bit slackerish with the canning this year. I just haven't had the same urge for effort - perhaps because it was so hot here this summer I didn't want to go to the farmers' market as often. hehe

I am planning an applesauce factory this fall, though.
  • letstrythisagain
    Options
    Glad to find this thread, i'd like to can some tomatoes/onions, I bought some used jars and need to get the lids. How long do i need to boil them?
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Glad to find this thread, i'd like to can some tomatoes/onions, I bought some used jars and need to get the lids. How long do i need to boil them?

It depends on your altitude and usually what size jars you are using. Pints take a few minutes less than quarts. It's generally around 15-20minutes once the water has reached a FULL boil, but you MUST check for your area and recipe.

University of Georgia has some info for canning. I know I had posted some links in this thread before that will tell you the safe way to process your jars. If you plan on doing more canning, it would be helpful to purchase the Ball book.

Also, make sure you use tested recipes to help ensure food safety.
  • cdevine10
    cdevine10 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Bump! I would love to read through this!
  • MamaKatel
    MamaKatel Posts: 180
    Options
    What a great thread! I am new to canning and hoping to get some good ideas, tips etc.
  • TropicalKitty
    Options
    Letstrythisagain - see if this link will help you:
    http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/publications/uga/uga_can_tom.pdf

And welcome new folks! I'm always excited to see new people wanting to join in! :)