WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Rv Rita - Sounds like me after the donuts 🍩 hubby brought home.Being good today hopefully will lose that 1 last pound ..hope lol 😂

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
    Qqqqqq
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Strange day! First exercise on an empty belly, no coffee! I did ok, weight machine work was fine, but 15 min into my treadmill I was "ok I am done" . I had salmon on avocado toast, with some ramen soup (soup only) from my trek with eldest son yesterday to our ramen place.
    I had the pork ramen, have son the larger piece of pork, but I still had a smaller piece. Ok this might sound weird, but the pork piece had fat around it, but I bit into it, and ended up eating the whole piece, fat and all. I told the ramen chef that the fat part in the pork was like creamy butter. It just melted in my mouth. It was a strange experience to eat something my brain would normally cut away. I had planned my ramen trek, logged it and so I did gain 1 lb from the experience. No worries.
    Hugs ladies.💖
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    WA
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    B)
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    🤗
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka SMH at your department’s last minute “scheduling.” Can not fathom not knowing instructors, days and times of classes before signing up for those classes, much less not until a day or two before. :noway: Not even knowing in which courses their students are enrolled? How do they get away with it?

The way this university (or my department) works is ...

There are a few "professors"(?) who are responsible for a number of courses each. The courses might be Bachelor level or Masters level, and they could be located in Hobart, Launceston, China (Shanghai Ocean University or the Ocean University of China located in Qingdao, China) or the Malaysia University of Science and Technology.

The "professors" may lecture at one or more of those locations but because they can't be everywhere, lecturers are hired from wherever (businesses, other universities, etc) and are given the same well-used PowerPoint presentations which have been in circulation for years. The lecturers are hired based on need ... on how many students enrol. This year, enrolment closes February 23 and classes start February 24, so we may not have our official lecturer on the first day because there has been a surge of enrolment at the last minute.

And this is also why I don't know what day my first class is ... it's kind of like if they get, say, 300 students, they'll just hold the Thursday lecture, but if they get 600 students, they'll hold the lecture on Wednesday and Thursday and students will be divided in half and told which lecture is theirs ... at some point in advance, I hope.

Lectures make up half the course. The other half are the workshops/tutorials/labs. Most of these are run by grad students working toward their PhDs. Occasionally the "professor" might run one. Occasionally a lecturer might run one, but usually it is PhD students. And again, the number of workshops/tutorials/labs will depend on the number of students ... which they won't know till Feb 23. They try to keep the number of students in each of these workshops/tutorials/labs down to about 30. So if there are 300 students, they'll try to run 10 workshops/tutorials/labs. But if there are 600 students, there might be 20 workshops/tutorials/labs.

To me, it's a messy and confusing way to do things but whatever.

So ... given that some of our professors and lecturers could be in China right now ... and about half the student body in my department ... everything is up in the air.

Incidentally, I also work for the health department here, so we're being kept informed on the health aspect of things.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,831 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    28 flights of 20 steps today! A decent start to my February 500. :) Only another 472 to go!!

Machka in Oz

My calves!!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Flea - kindest you can do for a pet is what he’s doing hold them,lay with them,show absolute love. When I was 13yrs old working in the animal shelter used to do that to the ones I knew were dying or would be put to sleep in the morning. One good memory as they drift off.

Amber Tx
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Well we had snow last night. I had to get out early to warm the car up and scrape windows so I could go get my hair cut. My labradoodle, Nessa loves the snow. She runs around like a crazy dog in it.

I got a jigsaw puzzle for my birthday. DD and I like putting them together. Started on it yesterday afternoon and found it was missing lots of pieces, at least 24 from the frame alone. Packed it up and will take it back. Very disappointing.

Karen in VA - I lived in Sioux Falls for about 40 years until I retired then moved to WA in 2015 to be close to kids. Glad I did that since DH died last spring. DD and I live together on 10 acres here. Yes your picture looks like a SD winter except for the trees.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited February 2020
    Sue in WA: I’m delighted that you had enough snow for Nessa to play in. I can imagine her fun. We had light frost this morning—but it only affected the flower bed between the river and the lawn. The lawn right next to it had no frost. I’m still wondering why one side was frosty and the other not at all frosty. :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    M – glad to hear the surgery won’t cost you anything

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
    stats for the day:

using my summer bike while the other is in the shop
    snowing part of the trip

bike ride hm 2 gym- 8.25min, 139mhr, 11.2amph, 1.57mi= 73c
    apple watch- 63c
    ELIPTICAL- 30min, 10incl, 10resist 124ahr, 148mhr, 3720strides, 2.70mi= 237c
    apple watch- 244c
    bike ride gym 2 dome, rain n snowing- 6.22min, 139mhr, 13.9amph, 1.48mi= 68c
    apple watch- 62c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station, snowing- 16.05min, 146mhr, 11.3amph, 3.03mi= 174c
    apple watch- 120c
    walk sta 2 wrk,rain n snow- 9.26min, 3.7pace, 122mhr, .61mi= 67c
    apple watch- 63c
    walk wrk 2 sta- 8.18min, 99mhr, 3,6ap, .50mi= 16c
    apple watch- 55c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.23mi, 8.4amph, 158mhr, 2.57mi= 174c
    apple watch- 157c

total cal 848