WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    When I lived in the countryside, I was plagued by noise! Weed whackers, chain saws, builders extending already huge houses, dogs endlessly barking, tractors harvesting, ducks quacking, cockerels, quad bikes, unfriendly farmers, grass being mowed etc etc etc. Here we have peace and quiet and privacy. :D I have stayed in the countryside many times on holiday and had my peace and quiet ruined by dogs barking and agricultural noise like tree cutting. The town is much quieter! :pB) Just a few sparrows tweeting and the occasional bark of a fox.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I've found that dogs endlessly bark in the city but not so much in the country ... or at least in the country they might be a kilometre away, not 4 feet away barking at the top of their lungs ALL day long. We've got one right behind us that does that, then he sets off another one across the way who also has a very loud bark and the two of them just don't stop.

As far as agricultural noises (cows, birds, sheep, distant dogs occasionally giving a woof, mowing grass, plowing, irrigation systems, etc., etc.) :heart: ...........

I would much rather have all of that than the revving motorcycles and speeding cars with no mufflers trying to lay tracks of rubber all over the road in front of the house and several of the surrounding roads. Or the cars that come out after dark when it rains and try to skid sideways down the hill ... I've had to ring triple 0 on a couple of them when they've plowed into fences, trees, etc. Plus chainsaws cutting branches off trees lest they fall on someone walking through the nearby reserve. Plus those dogs. And the people ... in towns/cities there are people everywhere you look.

We go to a favourite place up north 2 or 3 times a year where we're surrounding by agricultural peacefulness and hardly a sound of a motor vehicle, dog, chainsaw or person. I relax there. :):):)

iwfmwkg8meue.png

Machka in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💛♥️
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara: I was amazed with the frost this morning. The mulch bed at the edge of the lawn had frost. The lawn right next to the mulch bed had no frost at all. :noway:

Sue in WA: Chair yoga is great for DH. I’ve gone with him a few times and enjoyed it. It sounds like you are enjoying it, too. :star:

Machka: Your agricultural retreat sounds lovely. :flowerforyou:

This has been a grocery shopping and stay close to home sort of day. Tomorrow the dog goes to the groomer and I have yoga. We also have an appointment with our financial advisor. This is a new person for us. The one before moved to a different company. We really trusted her and having someone else could be fine, and also could be disappointing. We’ll have to see what happens.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Machka9
    Options
    At the far end of the river it starts in Spain and there is a trip to Salamanca, a very picturesque old town with an ancient university. I have often heard about it as one if my friends went to the university.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

That's a long trip!! Spain to Hobart, Tasmania!!

Machka in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa Maybe a sport bra?
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Machka :D:D:D that is a long trip, indeed

Heather Do you fly from Gatwick? or is there a closer international airport?
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Margaret love your sub teaching moments, lucky students to have you! <3

Barbie that class sounds great, would love to find something like that.

Heather sometimes the best plans get made in a moment of inspiration (after a whole lot of research and soul searching) That trip sounds awesome! I've always wanted to try a river cruise. Right now my DH and I are trying to plan a cruise from NY to carribean as a gift to his mom. She is a world traveler but at 78 slowing down and not up for a whirlwind kind of trip (no more climbing for her!) She was clear about wanting to cruise (not our first choice) and I am being clear that we should find something just right for her! Our godson works for NCL so we were hoping for a discount :/ but may have to risk a last minute/stand by type of deal. I'm staying open to the idea, keeping MIL's interests up front is #1, what we want comes second!

NYKAREN

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Karen - I love those pics of you and Lilliana. How happy you look. Oh, I miss those baby days. <3 Bea is 4 next month! :o

Luci - Iris is really lovely. Doesn't time fly! :o<3

Terri - You are very talented. That mural is great. You can charge good money for that! :D

NYKAREN - A cruise from NY to the Caribbean sounds wonderful, picking the time of year, of course, and avoiding hurricane season. :o Our company, Saga, has a price promise whereby you don't miss out on late discounts. The price you pay is the lowest from then on, or they refund the difference. The biggest discounts are for early booking. That way the ship fills up early.
    Recently my Portsmouth friend had a holiday with another company cancelled because there weren't enough punters. Very disappointing. It was to Istanbul, and Ephesus and Troy. Coach tour.
    Of course, I am aware that this Coronavirus scare could scupper all our plans. No one wants a rampaging virus on a ship full of old people! One cruise ship, not Saga, is in quarantine right now.

I had influenza in 1968, Hong Kong virus. I had a mutated Asian flu in 1978. I am now an old lady. It was awful then and would be worse for us now.

Lisa - Would that river cruise be in the USA? Mississippi?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,825 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    wow do I feel better. gosh that one pill set me for a loop..Tom contacted me this morning his uncle is back at the ER he is the one who just had Heart surgery and isnt well to begin with.. he is vomiting and not well. so we are all praying.. that poor man, he is the last of the brothers and sisters my DFIL was the oldest and the 2 aunts passed within 2 weeks of each other
    So I am keeping poor Bill in my prayers..
    I have friends that have taken the Viking River cruises and just loved them..I am going on Carnival down to the Carribean in October..
    im also keeping fingers and toes crossed for the senior job.. I didn't send a cover letter with application and resume .
    American Cruise Lines do the river cruises in the US..
    yup I am getting real tired of this job, it is close to home ,but the Dr is just willy nilly and wants things his way and done right now..
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
    when I go to this gym this morning, I wanna find a place to lock it inside the gym. if I don't someone could just walk outside with it and the gym won't be responsible. the front desk person is there but not always at the front desk or paying attention. not going to workout at the gym probably for the reset of the week, busy at work, more $$ for the kitty, just going there to take a shower. gotta go
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    Options
    KJ - Do you have to dismantle it to move it on? :noway:
    My thought on booking the river cruise so late at night was "If not now, when?" We have been talking about it for ages. We are not getting any younger. :D It's all to easy to put things in a box in your head that is labelled ONE DAY. Fortunately, if it all goes horribly wrong we have only paid a reasonably small deposit. It is cheaper than the ship cruises, even with flights etc.

My big bucket list place to visit is Orkney. I really, really want to see the Bronze Age stuff there. DH is not so keen, so I might go next year on my own on a guided trip. My Portsmouth friend went last year and did the whole thing totally independently. Brava!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Climbed 27 flights of stairs (20 steps each plus landings).
    Walked 4.6 km to try to stretch out my calves.

My breathing felt marginally better going up those stairs today but my legs are tired. The first week of this sort of climbing is always the hardest.

I've spent the evening organising paper. I realised I had better get on top of some of it!! I've got so much stuff coming up.

Now I feel like I might be able to concentrate on writing my final exam ... which I urgently need to do this weekend. It is due on Feb 17 ... and I've now got everything ready to roll.

Next week, I've got a Cycling club AGM one evening. On another evening we're going to a movie called "How to Bee" because my husband is interested in getting a hive. I don't know if we've got enough room, but I thought we'd pursue the idea a little bit. We've got a Brain Injury peer group meeting and Pilates one right after the other early in the week. And there are a several other things I need to take care of.

Fortunately, this coming weekend is a long weekend. That snuck up on me! It's not like me to forget a long weekend!! So I don't have plans to go anywhere and that's probably a good thing. My current plans include: sleep, exam, and checking out some roads for potential cycling routes ... and maybe doing a bit of cycling on those roads.

Machka in Oz