WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,157 Member
    Options
    My mom past away on 2/19 she was 89, she had Dimentia and conjestive heart failure.
    I haven’t logged my calories since then. I’m trying to get back to it today with a heavy heart.

So sorry!

In Alzheimer’s - my Mom was diagnosed in 2016 although we certainly saw the signs much earlier. In 2012 we started seeing some thing but my Dad was sick with cancer and passed in December so we blamed a lot of her confusion on stress. When things didn’t improve early 2013 we blamed it on grief and learning to live alone for the first time in her life. My Mom never worked and was always taken care of by my Dad. She never handled finances, mechanical issues, handyman issues. Nothing, she didn’t even know she could use her bank card at a store only thought she could use it at a bank. My brother and I thought the learning curve and grief was really causing her issues. In the Fall of 2013 my eldest cousin (who is Moms age) told me that Mom was claiming she didn’t know people that she should know. We started the path towards finding out what was going on. It took until 2016 to get the actual diagnosis, they tried the meds that are supposed to slow it, but the side effects were terrible for her and we didn’t see it making a difference. She went into the nursing home in December 2017. My Mom will only be 74 in May. I miss the talks we used to have and I hate having to tell her that my girls are grown and married now over and over, so far she remembers me though and I’m very grateful for that.

Tracey in Edmonton

I'm sorry about your mother too.

My grandfather had dementia for the last 20 or so years of his life, and although I always knew my grandmother was an amazing woman, I have a new-found respect for her!

M in Oz
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: Nothing about your DH’s heath situation has been easy. I hope the evaluation process for him is tolerable. Can you request a different worker with more experience? :star:
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
    exermom wrote: »
    M – after you go to all these doctors, will the RTW Nazi be off your case?
    Michele in chilly FL

Yes, the RTW person is just a small cog in the wheel so during the evaluation process over the next couple months, she will likely have to take a back seat. That's one positive thing!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Regarding metric and imperial.

I learned imperial in Canada until the middle of Grade 4 when we switched to metric. Unfortunately we were in the middle of learning volume measures when the switch happened, and I was so confused I never did learn volume measures very well.

Canada is still sort of a mix of metric and imperial, but I've had to go completely metric when I moved to Australia!!

So when I say it's 20 degrees out there ... it's warm. :)

M in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    A quick hello. Getting chores and whatnot completed today.

The secret to slicing thin bread slices is using a good bread knife, turning the bread upside down, and start slicing from one side using a sawing motion. I can slice bread so thin using this method I can see through it.

I know some will ask......the bread knife is the long serrated one in a standard knife set. I used to use the wrong knifves for many years as I was teaching my young self to cook.

🍞

Hugs to all and prayers to those in need.
    SuziQ - SFL
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,352 Member
    Options
    Up to page 60. No time for comments, but reading frantically. 😂
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    karen va. Same twinkly eyes and beautiful smile, + life well lived!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :)Barbara, my husband loves to eat in restaurants. He knows it's bad for him because of the sodium so he tries to be moderate about it. If I had my way, I'd never go to a restaurant, but I go with him from time to time. Today he said, "Do you want to go out for Thai food?". and I said, "No". So we ate one of our usual at home meals. Our big meal is midday and we like to watch "Jeopardy" when we eat. The rest of our meals are "find it and fix it". We grocery shop together so we are both sure of having foods in the house that we like and can fix for ourselves. We never invite anyone over to eat with us.

:)SuziQ, thanks for the bread slicing directions. I'll try them on the next loaf.

:) I haven't flown anywhere in a long time but when I did, people would ask me if I were afraid of flying and I told them that I was very afraid that I'd get to the counter or the gate and they'd have no record of me and I wouldn't be able to get on the flight.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,688 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

walk w/yogi- 19.30min, 104mhr, .87mi= 29c
    Apple Watch- 93c
    my bike on trainer - 153mhr,135ahr, 13.2mi= 571c
    Apple Watch - 553c

total cal 664
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    NYKAREN Thanks for saying that. Seeing that photo rattled me a bit. Silly me, time marches on.

Evelyn I was the Karen who asked. Thank you for telling us about your mom & your friend. Expound anytime.

Karen in Virginia
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Tina – it sounds like your way of dieting is a lot like mine

Michele now in FL but only for 2 more weeks :(
  • Machka9
    Options
    Home again from our weekend away. :) This was just a quick dash up north for the pennyfarthing festival. It was supposed to be a good 3-4 day holiday between courses but when my exam deadline was extended, the holiday became a weekend.

That's OK, it was a nice weekend. :)

Now catching up on laundry, putting away my course material from the one I just finished, and I've got some cycling club stuff to do.

M in Oz