WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    Barbara I heard about more tests coming out Friday and Monday from listening to VP Pence and his task force press conference.
    Annie in Delaware
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    Amber dry rice in a salt shaker, piece of white bread in the brown sugar..

Or an apple slice.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Amber- wheat bread works too. I put it in then switch it next use.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Just to let you know....because I made a commitment. I jogged /walked in place for 10 mins. Got 10,000 steps in and now fitbit is down.....
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I take forever to reuse I’ll have to switch it out every few weeks I bet. This one I bought in December 27th then forgot I had it now it’s March 5th. I’m terrible with it. Apples 🍎 too bad we finally finished off that 5lb bag last night. Still surprised the apples lasted so many months. Terra cotta discs for those even work? Saw them in my googling but never seen one before. At least my powder sugar keeps too bad I never need that one.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/372792073438

Found some cute ones the lady claims they work. Not sure if their good product or not tho.

Bread or apple might be easier tho.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    I just realized that I might see my ex at my daughter's graduation in May. Talk about diet motivation! I just hope she will accept a visit from me. So far she is ignoring my text about it. Which probably means she hasn't thought about it at all yet.
    Annie in Delaware
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,824 Member
    Options
    <3
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,116 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    KJ my husband loves black jelly beans! He is actually the one that started this with him having to stock up on the jelly beans since Easter is the time of year that the best brand is around. So he bought me the 5 bags last year! At first I used them as a treat every time I had extra calories left over then I think I got over them and only took them to the movies with me. They really liked Star Wars :p
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "
    Mary I stocked up on some snack sized favorites last Halloween. Joe just ate the last of the pb cups and I still have half a bag of mini-Look bars to dole out.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie

Great job on the candy bars! I think if I have my favorite treats around I don’t feel restricted and it takes less will power to resist! Especially since it has to be part of my calorie goal. Pip is actually the one I was inspired by about 4 years or more ago when she mentioned that she bags her snacks and counts the calories.

<3

Mary from Arizona/Minnesota
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Machka: Happy Birthday!!!! :bigsmile: Your flu situation sounds very challenging. I hope you are able to get through it without too much difficulty, and without getting sick. :flowerforyou:

Rori: It sounds like there are good days and not so good days. I hope things will get better as time goes along. :heart:

Mary: It is great seeing you post again! :bigsmile:

My doctor wants me to have a colonoscopy. I do not want to be anywhere near a hospital until after this corona virus problem is no longer a huge threat. I plan to talk it over with her via email. I already sent a message but am uncertain whether she's received it yet. Tomorrow I'll look into the status of my message.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Katla - Yes, I was thinking of you and your DH. <3
    My cruise hasn't been cancelled yet. We are still in 'wait and see' mode. We are playing 'chicken' with them to see who blinks first, because if they cancel I think they have to give us a refund. I would prefer this. We have a river cruise in Portugal booked for October, so an ocean cruise later in the year, as in their 'amend' conditions, is not as attractive to us as one next year.
    We have nearly 2 weeks to decide.

Kylia and Karen - Yes! Pigs cheeks are absolutely delicious. They have become a bit of a gourmet item over here since the tv chefs started using them. Incredibly tender when cooked a long time. I gave them 30 mins in the IP, opened it up, put some baby potatoes in and gave them another 15. So 45 mins pressure cooking. That translates to about 2 hrs 15 mins stove top or oven. My butcher round the corner has them in the freezer. :D
    Kylia, we have fish two, or three times a week. It is so easy and quick. I just bake it for a short while with different things on top, depending on my mood and what veg is around. Sea bass fillets I pan fry for a couple of minutes with a slick of oil, but they can be quickly baked as well. I use fish in soup, and sometimes a green curry. I could easily go without meat, but I love my fish. The secret is not to overcook it, especially salmon.

It's not raining! :o
    It's not blowing a gale either. B)
    Dare I hope to get a 5k in today? It's been 2 weeks since my last one. :'(
    Sparrows chirping outside my kitchen window. :bigsmile:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Macha Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: Happy Birthday!!!! :bigsmile: Your flu situation sounds very challenging. I hope you are able to get through it without too much difficulty, and without getting sick. :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Thank you!

I think you might be mixing me up with someone ... I don't have a "flu situation". :) Thank goodness. :)

Machka in Oz

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: invest 10 mins cleaning Dining Rm, carry over Guest Bth, called Carolyn D, veg prep.
    Bonus: ROKJ practice x 3
    Get to do: T’ai Chi, massage, invest 10 mins cleaning Master & Guest Bds, board meeting minutes, bake something for Joe, line dance, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine, follow up with Doug for iCloud for Win10. Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.

Michele safe travels!
    Heather, I have some nephews who would consider me an "elderly relative"… ;)
    Kylia I guessed the Southern American vernacular would be “hog jowls”, but Karen in VA pointed me in the right direction. I’ve never seen them in the market, but they do look good cooked that way. Brava to you on your fish cooking experiment! Sorry but it’s a big NO from me on most fish, frogs, squirrel, seafood, and “nasty bits.” :sick:
    Pip as I child I enjoyed tongue sandwiches… until I figured out what they really were ;)
    Amber, seal the brick of brown sugar in a plastic bag with the recommended (Carol, Machka, Kylia) slice of bread or apple overnight.
    Rebecca that eye surgery sounds scary!
    Machka so glad your meds are kicking in and you feel better. Is your birthday Monday?
    Rori ((hugs)) is your DH able to verbalize what panicked him? ((hugs held an extra six seconds))
    Tracey, well Grandma, if you have too many earrings… ;)
    Mary and pip, you are so right about bagging the snacks! If I don’t pre-log AND pre-portion, it’s too easy to keep eating until all are gone.
    Janetr just heard there was a 4.0 quake 39 miles from OkC, did you feel it?

Have to renege on a promise :disappointed: to a new dancing friend to support her as she teaches an absolute beginner class in Gold Beach today. Joe has to go back to Crescent City to have his post-procedure eye pressure check and we haven’t left Shadow home unsupervised yet. Hope it rains so I won’t be tempted to weed but instead get to work on those overdue minutes.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: better than January.
    daily: steps=4559 vits=4 log=5 CI<CO=3 CI<250<CO=3 Tumble & Shadow 5=2 mfp=5 clean 10 mins=5 outside=2 up hill=0
    wkly: BB&B x3=2, rx=0 dance=1 pack walk=1
    mnthly: board mtg=0 grant= review 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=3 play=0 sew=0
  • Machka9
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka so glad your meds are kicking in and you feel better. Is your birthday Monday?

Monday and Tuesday :)

It's a timezone thing.

Machka in Oz

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    I decided to go out for my 5k while the weather was beautiful. So glad I did. B) It was magical! Lovely to see the seafront in its normal guise; sunny, clean, runners, walkers, dogs greeting each other, blue sky, blue sea. I managed it ok after my two week break. It's always a little dispiriting when the young people run past you at the rate of knots, but there were enough elderly runners around for us to feel like a community. We always give each other a knowing smile and a nod. :D

KJ - Dave Gilmore's house is coming on, though slowly. It now has windows and a red roof, though it's still a large building site. :#

When I first moved here I was a bit nervous about running along the promenade because of all the dogs. But they take absolutely no notice of we runners at all. Just used to us, I guess. They also seem quite chilled about each other. You rarely hear one bark. Thank goodness. :)

When I got back I got my yoga mat out and did my stretches and then my weights routine. I'm counting myself 400 calories for the whole lot, so I need to add a few more hundred this afternoon.

We never heard back about DH's second blood test, so I guess it must have been that hemolyzing thing Karen mentioned. I Googled it. Personally I think their communication practices could be improved. I would be giving them feedback, but DH seems ok with it. :*

Barbara - I think at 70 and in good health, we would survive! The over 80s seem to be more at risk and those with other health problems. Children don't seem to be catching it, or have it mildly.

Tonight is Polish sausage cooked with bacon, cabbage and sauerkraut. Yummo!

I have lost 2 pounds in 2 weeks, so being a bit more careful and leaving a bit more of a margin in CICO is paying off. Hooray! Onward and downward! :drinker:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Happy Birthday Machka, there are quite a few birthdays in March, mine is at the end of the month, (can't believe I'll be 64!) :o:o

I've had a few friend requests from men, I haven't accepted them, it takes me all my time to keep up here lol.

We are getting a self service type of drive in Corona Virus testing centre here in York, I think an elderly lady has died of the virus, but she had underlying health issues. Everything is going on as normal as far as I am aware.

It was frosty this morning, but the sun is now shining and it is warming up. I actually sat outside yesterday (for a few mins :) ) I was looking at my garden - lots of work needing doing, could even do with a new bench to sit on, mine is a bit damaged now, the wood is starting to rot in places. Don't really want to part with it though because my dear hubby made it for me, but I'm trying to hang on to memories, not things. So much to do in the garden, but it will have to wait until it's dryer, the grass is still a little waterlogged from all the rain. And it's not as if I haven't enough to do inside the house :) The dining room and my bedroom are on the "To Do" list. My bedroom is definitely in need of a refresh, hasn't been done in years.

Well I'm trying to get into some sort of routine on a morning, and the time is telling me I need to get ready to go over to mums, I've managed most of my chores, just need to declutter a few things and I'm good to go.

Keep washing your hands ;):)

Love to all <3
    Viv UK
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    🦘🦔🐢🦖
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

It has been an extremely busy week. Another month end is almost completed. Finance closed very late this month and then started emailing us a few hours later asking for our numbers. I had to kindly remind them it takes the team at least a full day to compile. It’s interesting how it is so easy to pass off one’s lateness to another team. I have to periodically remind everyone I have very big shoulders and have no problem pushing back. LOL.

Everyone is basically in a tizzy over this system conversion. The most horrifying thing about it is it is not a full conversion. We, the subsidiary, we continue to work within our proprietary system while having to input everything in to the new system which doubles the work. Corporate was under the impression they would be able to white box it (basically using the software right out of the box) so when they gathered requirements they told us what the plan was and did not listen to how our system works. As they proceeded onward it was realized a little too late the plan was not going to work. So after three missed go-live dates we will finally go live on April 20th. Needless to say this is going to be very interesting (stressful) and I have been working tirelessly massaging everyone’s fears. I will say working over 10 years in the software industry made me very flexible. Change is going to happen regardless of how fearful we are so we might as well buckle up and enjoy the ride. I have appropriately planned a few days of vacation before and after the go-live. It’s not my first rodeo and I know what I need both mentally and physically.

Heather – I know you and DH have been looking forward to his BD cruise. I think you are adapting to the situation very well and will make the best decision when the time comes. I could not imagine being quarantined on a ship for 14 days especially without a balcony.

Rita – Sending positive thoughts to your daughter’s boyfriend. I cannot imagine seeing what he is seeing firsthand.

Beth – I love seeing your produce boxes. So colorful and vibrant.

Tracey – So glad your dental work is completed. The key now is to make sure you visit regularly. I have found that finding the right medical providers is the key to keeping us going. I have no problem “firing” the ones I do not feel have my best interests at heart. Like you I am tiring of the virus news. I still keep thinking there are almost 8 billion people in the world and if we really think about the numbers the chances of us catching it, especially if we practice good sense, is next to nothing.

Karen – Lilliana is adorable. What a quick recovery from her immunizations.

Tere – Sorry to hear about the skin issue!

Michelle – I hope you have a safe trip home.

Machka – Happy birthday weekend!!!! Wrote up the whole face mask thing prior to seeing your post. As you can see I agree with you.

Rori – I am so sorry about DH’s reaction to the latest visit to the Vets Club. You may just have to drive him there every day until it becomes a routine (regardless of him going in or not). Big hug to you. My constitution is very strong too and I feel our bodies need exposure to build immunities. I cannot tell you the last time I had the flu.

Katla – I do not blame you on not wanting to schedule the procedure until everything has calmed down.

Face Mask Commentary – They are not good for anyone who has not been properly trained and is used to wearing them. If we all step back and think about it for just a minute. We run around with a face mask on, we are not used to wearing one, we get a phone call and the person says they cannot hear us, we then pull down the face mask and let’s say we were are in the grocery store or walking out of a building, so we take our germy hand and pull the face mask down, what did we just do? We covered the face mask with the germs on our hands. Then, we pull the face mask back up, which is now germ covered and are breathing in condensed/restricted air filled with germs. I actually watched this in a store the other day and had to shake my head. So, if we see friends and family or maybe we are wearing ourselves we must be hypervigilant in the methods of proper use.

Hand Sanitizer – Totally out here in south Florida. I bought alcohol and a spray bottle for work where we had to create our own sanitation station. Note – I have everything I need at my desk, but there are a few around me who are not as sanitary as they should be so I had to put something together as a reminder.

They are now saying not to go anywhere where more than 10 people are gathered. Hm, can I not go to work until this thing passes – lol. Work, but the way, has not said a darn thing nor have they made any plans for the employees. Oh, lots of talk about a drop in sales because China is basically shut down and lots of high tech parts and equipment are built there. Honestly, I cannot wait until I am able to retire and get away from direct contact of corporate greed. Retirement is still a distance away but is so much closer every day!!!

I wish I had more time but really must log in to work. I am remote today so an earlier start time is possible since I get to skip all of the fuss and muss getting ready.

Big hugs to all and prayers to those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL