WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies, still catching up. It is a lovely sunny day here which makes a nice change from all the rain. I wonder if spring is finally on its way.

Karen in VA The Ross sisters were very bendy :) even when young I was never that flexible.

Rita so sad about the tornado and the devastation it has caused. Glad your family are safe.

Beth glad your son is safe.

Been busy with the kitchen, almost finished now, but my helper (DS) has gone off to visit his Auntie and see his cousins this week. I was going to paint the tiles on Monday, but mum wanted me to help her with a few things. She's still in a lot of pain with her arthritis and sciatica. Called the doc again and he told her to up her Gabapentin tablets to 3 x 3 times a day. Poor thing she's taking so many tablets, mind you she keeps a good track of them all, I think I'd forget what I'd taken.

I've started taking Rhubarb complex tablets. It is supposed to help with bloating and many other things. I have noticed that it has helped the bloating and the regulating of bowel movements (sorry TMI) but not seen any improvement in my complextion or nails. Nor has it helped me lose weight, but I do feel less sluggish, so will keep taking them for now.

Well time is getting on, I'd better get over to mums, she's had some mail she want me to look at, something about a new tax code - her pension is getting taxed or something.

Love to all <3
    Viv UK
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.
    I have been scanning - not enough time to reply. But will soon.

Just a quick laugh for everyone. My favorite Easter candy is malted eggs. I have been trying to justify why I should partake and remembered malt is a very nutritious product. It has a ton of benefits from supporting gut health and being a sugar alternative. It is also known to boost moods.

I bought 5 bags last year. I still have 2 left. I bought 2 more to add to my collection! I eat a serving whenever I go to the movies or for a treat. I just always try to stay within my calorie goal.

<3

Mary from Arizona/Minnesota

Mary,
    I admire your self-control. If I had 5 bags in the house they would be gone in 5 weeks. :smile:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,205 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Viv - It's still raining down south. :s
    The guys came to clean our gutters today. They were all garbed up in head to toe waterproofs. :D Looked like something from a film! DH had spotted them in the street, cleaning some other house, so he spoke to them. They had a professional looking van and Checkatrade registering. The guy showed him his live video camera in his phone which shows them what they are doing. Our house is three stories high and has an extension and dormers, so lots of gutters with moss galore and a couple of plants growing out of them. :o There are also pigeon spikes, which made it all more difficult.
    Anyway, it was done in an hour and DH is going to pay in cash. :o I was a bit surprised that an outfit like theirs would fiddle the books, but it seems very prevalent. Our aerial man did the same.
    We have a broken clip very high up, which will require a professional, and a cracked gutter low down enough for DH to glue back together. Glad it's done.

As for holidays. I think I got it from my mother, but holidays have always been top priority for me, even if they are really inexpensive, like a friend's house swap, or an old caravan on a farm. My mother saved all year and planned them, and looked forward to them enormously. We first went camping in Europe in 1961, long before it was the normal thing. We took all our own food, so it cost very little! I've been the same. For years I felt I was only authentically me when I was on holiday. This was who I was. I planned it, saved for it, going without a lot of stuff like new clothes or furniture, learnt the language, anticipated it, and remembered it for ever. Opening myself up to new experiences and living a different life is hugely important to me. B) I can't think of anything more boring than just sitting on a beach. I want to embrace the different, challenge my old preconceptions, learn, learn, learn. I always immerse myself so much in the new, that it takes me ages to adjust once I come home. I'm still reliving it all days, weeks later often.
    I have found that even one night away can give that boost and a break from the norm.

I haven't cancelled the cruise yet. I guess I am hoping that the cruise company will take it upon themselves, or be advised by the government, to cancel the trips themselves. In that case we would get a refund. If they don't do that and we have to 'amend' the booking, we still have two weeks to do that. We would have to pick one of the same, or more, value before Jan 31st 2021. I am hoping they will cancel, of course, as I would prefer to book for next spring. Two weeks is a long time for this virus. I expect it to spread exponentially in the next two weeks.

Cooking pigs cheeks for dinner.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    🐹

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,539 Member
    Options
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Thursday!
    How funny that someone posted a pic of the malted milk (Robins eggs) candies! I was just looking at them at the store this past weekend. I didn't buy any, although I seriously was considering it. Those and black jelly beans are my favorite Easter candies. My younger sister and I would lick one of those Robin's eggs and then "paint" lipstick on our lips. A lovely 70s frosted lip! lol I still do this as an adult, because is there any other way to eat these?
    Barbie- I have been doing about 20 minutes of yoga each day and am thinking of switching that up to Tai-Chi, as well! I think Lanette has taken a Tai-Chi class or has been doing it on her own. ?? It looks so strong, focused and calming to me. I think I would like it. My DH falls into the "negative nancy" area when it comes to talking about our vacations. He always talks about the "bad". Weather, traffic, food, people...whereas I talk about the fun/good stuff. I don't really care what the weather is like when I travel, I am just happy that I am traveling somewhere. My days of lounging on a beach are long gone. I just don't have the patience for it. It looks nice when I see pics of other people doing it; but I always feel like I am missing something by just lying there, doing nothing. lol
    Heather- I wonder if your cruise ship company feels a little more "secure" in the knowledge that they don't have the amount of people on board as the bigger cruises. Maybe it cuts their chances down for having a passenger with any viruses? But, I am with you in waiting until the last possible minute to cancel. Why cancel before necessary?
    Karen VA- Aaaaah! Your two granddaughters! So sweet!
    Barbara-Happy belated birthday! (I think my brain said it a while ago and I forgot to write it!)
    Beth, Katiebug, Rita, Carol- So glad your loved ones, in the Nashville area, are fine! Special hug, Rita, to your daughter's husband/boyfriend. I can't even imagine having a job of "search/recovery" during events like this.
    Welcome new ladies!
    Kiddos arriving shortly; gotta fly! love and hugs to all who need or want them. ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday,
    I had typed a response, Sara came in, tablet moved, poof! Gone!
    The gist was I am comiiting to 10 minutes of dance today. I am tired of being tired! My food is good. Water is good. Just leaves health or exercise.....I can change exercise, so that is next. I am able bodied and thankful. I curled up in bed at 9 last night with a magazine. Barely stayed awake until then.

Sara to groomers this morning, work, and no plans this evening. Hoping to complete a few things at work today.

Thank you ladies for being inspiring, strong, sharing and caring!
    <3
    Kylia
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Watching a little tv ,took Danto work,went and took care of Homer and working 9:30-4 today...then going to the Elks tonight with Trudy and Susan for eggplant parm...
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Still pouring with rain........... :s

DH has to go out to get the gutter man's cash. :o He's gone in search of his waterproof pants upstairs.

When will it stop raining?

2ck4smuyn384.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Barbie- I totally agree with you about negative people who don't appreciate their "luck". I think back in my life when I tended to be like that.... so glad I changed my outlook and try to exercise my "gratitude muscle" as much as possible. Counting blessings.

Kelly - Barbara AHMOD is also a big fan of Tai Chi. The actual Tai Chi I was taught in class was a series of steps and arm positions and breathing. For my friends and I, it was confusing and not relaxing at all, lol. But I did pick up the belly breathing part. Now, my favorite YouTube instructor is Don Fiore. He has short videos which focus on the breathing and positions with repetitive arm movements and weight shifting which are calming and help my balance.

I've been meaning to mention - the photos of the grands you gals have been posting are great, thank you for posting them :)<3

Heading out to do some early shopping this morning before the stores get crowded, as usual. I don't think it will hurt to throw a small package of the chocolate covered malted milk Easter eggs into my shopping cart, will it? B)

Dogs need to be fed and won't let me ignore them any longer, lol.

Make it a safe and healthy day! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Looking for toddler food recipes for JR easy quick no weird shapes lol 😂 (JR turns down cookie cutter shapes to worm looking items).
    Anyone got any picky eaters like? Maybe I can tweak it even. We’re under a stay home advisory from the Mayor (Taylordebraa8007 too now y my Daughter same area of bases) so trying to make what we got work y stretch maybe get MrPicky to add another item to his picky short list.

Amber Tx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Ditto to what Lanette said: I've been meaning to mention - the photos of the grands you gals have been posting are great, thank you for posting them :)<3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Karen in VA: I love the photos of your grandchildren. :heart:

Barbie: If I was scheduled to go on a cruise I would also cancel at this particular time of health worries. Being in close proximity to too many strangers is currently worrisome. Air travel is the worst thing I can think of because of the recycled air on long flights. I think this is a scary time to be in an airport or jet. :noway:

Machka: Congrats on your rain! :star:

Oregon and Washington have had cases of Corona Virus and some deaths. Everyone in our community is stocking up on things like face masks—none were left in town yesterday afternoon. Vitamin C is in high demand at the local stores as is hand sanitizer.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    We heard some sad news last night that an airline has gone bust. It was the one close to us at Southampton that I used a lot. 95% of the airport flights were with Flybe, so the whole airport is currently defunct. Huge knock on impact on the supply chain and the town. I don't live there anymore, but I feel very sad about it. My difficult friend was booked to fly with them for our girls get together in May in Glasgow. She'll have to find another way to get there. Belfast, near Terri, is also affected, but there are other airlines flying there.
    Had a letter from Saga today, just reiterating what is on their website. Things are changing fast, so it's already out of date. ;)

Katla - Don't think vit C is going to be much use! Nor face masks, they say. :*;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: I don't think vitamin C is a cure for anything other than scurvy, but it is part of helping the body be at its best. We have all that we need. What IS in short/no supply around here are facemasks. Everyplace in town that carries them is sold out. :ohwell:
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,042 Member
    Options
    There are a lot more coronavirus tests going out this weekend so new cases are bound to be discovered next week. Not looking forward to that. I'm worried about my trip to Tuscon the end of the month. The last thing I want to do is bring this home to my parents. Nothing to do but worry and wash hands.