Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    More on Chicago and Illinois cases.

Currently, "COVID-19 patients are occupying 35% of the state’s intensive care beds and that 24% of ventilators are being used by such patients." That's with just under 6000 diagnosed cases in the state currently.

One current projection by Rush is that Illinois could have 19,000 diagnosed cases as of 4/9 (based on current rates of increase, although there's a lot of uncertainty, and there are a variety of different models), and that if they had continued going up as they were initially (with no stay at home order), the projection for 4/9 was more like 145,000 cases, and we'd be out of hospital beds and ventilators by now, of course.

Currently they are predicting the peak to hit IL around 4/16.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-coronavirus-forecasts-hospitals-rush-20200331-v5vcjb3kyvdtjme32of6tt2j64-story.html
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather.

My mom is an NP who does ongoing patient care at a hospital and they're not even letting *her* visit her patients with CV since she isn't part of their direct care for that situation. Everyone who is in that area of her hospital has to have a pressing need to be there.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

Howard County bars sales of nonessential items at essential businesses

https://www.kokomotribune.com/news/local_news/howard-county-bars-sales-of-nonessential-items-at-essential-businesses/article_6d0c2798-7074-11ea-9136-538d5d848958.html

Howard County has banned the sale of these items in local stores during its stay-at-home order:

Banned purchases
    Jewelry.
    Furniture.
    Home and lawn decor.
    Toys and games.
    Carpets.
    Rugs and flooring.
    Non-emergency appliances.
    Music.
    Books and magazines.
    Craft and art supplies.
    Paint.
    Entertainment electronics.

Staying entertained during a long quarantine seems to me to be pretty essential. Not everyone spends all day watching TV. Books, art supplies, music, etc. and even home repair or decorating seem to me to be a very valid way of enduring the long quarantine.

I'd assume books can be delivered. My local indie bookstore says: "We can now ship books directly from our distributor's warehouse to your front door. All you have to do is place your order through our website and select our regular USPS shipping option, then we'll take it from there! This will be the fastest way to get your books moving forward, and the best way to continue to support The Book Cellar.

Now more than ever, it is important to shop locally. As many of you have likely heard, Amazon confirmed that it’s significantly delaying US deliveries of all nonessential items during the coronavirus pandemic. According to product listings on its website, some of these shipments will be delayed by as much as a month. So don’t forget to look to your local shops and vendors! We’re here to help!"

A huge number of other local stores (like my local gardening store) have gone to online only.

I feel bad for all the local businesses, but I really do think it's best to have very limited in store options right now.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    COGypsy wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Howard County bars sales of nonessential items at essential businesses

https://www.kokomotribune.com/news/local_news/howard-county-bars-sales-of-nonessential-items-at-essential-businesses/article_6d0c2798-7074-11ea-9136-538d5d848958.html

Howard County has banned the sale of these items in local stores during its stay-at-home order:

Banned purchases
    Jewelry.
    Furniture.
    Home and lawn decor.
    Toys and games.
    Carpets.
    Rugs and flooring.
    Non-emergency appliances.
    Music.
    Books and magazines.
    Craft and art supplies.
    Paint.
    Entertainment electronics.

Staying entertained during a long quarantine seems to me to be pretty essential. Not everyone spends all day watching TV. Books, art supplies, music, etc. and even home repair or decorating seem to me to be a very valid way of enduring the long quarantine.

I'd assume books can be delivered. My local indie bookstore says: "We can now ship books directly from our distributor's warehouse to your front door. All you have to do is place your order through our website and select our regular USPS shipping option, then we'll take it from there! This will be the fastest way to get your books moving forward, and the best way to continue to support The Book Cellar.

Now more than ever, it is important to shop locally. As many of you have likely heard, Amazon confirmed that it’s significantly delaying US deliveries of all nonessential items during the coronavirus pandemic. According to product listings on its website, some of these shipments will be delayed by as much as a month. So don’t forget to look to your local shops and vendors! We’re here to help!"

A huge number of other local stores (like my local gardening store) have gone to online only.

I feel bad for all the local businesses, but I really do think it's best to have very limited in store options right now.

Shopping locally is more important than ever. I suspect that restaurants and breweries will be shut down completely in the next couple of weeks, which will be disastrous for many of them. I’m taking every advantage of online ordering and curbside pickup for as long as I can. I live in a very “neighborhood-y” neighborhood, so I know the owners and workers at a lot of our local shops. I’m lucky enough to have a job where I can work remotely, so I figure that as long as my neighbors are open, I’ll be supporting them.

I don't think restaurants will close own completely (I hope). Someone asked the governor here why she's allowing restaurants to be open for pickup and delivery and she said that closing them down completely would be a substantial disruption to the food supply chain, and basically if you think grocery stores are bare now, they'd be really bare.

I'm assuming from lack of funds they might close down. Here in NYC, take out and delivery doesn't even cover rent in some places.