Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    e folks bring food for the family, but with the stay at home orders, I'm not sure if she'll be able to do that.

Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but the BBC has a basic welsch grammar document, downloadable for free:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/learnwelsh/pdf/welshgrammar_allrules.pdf

It won't teach you much vocabulary or how to speak it, but it'll teach you how it's build up :wink:

Reminds me that now would be the time to get back to Japanese. Although I still have quite the workload coming up for my studies. Worse than my work workload...[/quote]

I have been looking for something like that! Thank you!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Some good, and not so good news.

Scary statistic, gun/ammo sales up 41% in the US in March.

The US will no longer ship medical devices/supplies for fighting Covid 19 to other countries, while the need here is so great (duh).

China sends 1,000,000 medical masks to US.

• lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,750 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    [quote="AnnPT77;c-44879600"

I can't give you cites because my source was listening to NPR and BBC on radio, but I believe there's a new study out in just the last few days showing potentially-infecting particles from coughs/sneezes traveling much farther than previously thought (like twice as far), plus some fairly new information about the nature of virus shedding by people who are still asymptomatic. [/quote]

You are referring to this, I believe https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763852?appId=scweb
    and this https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/31/824155179/cdc-director-on-models-for-the-months-to-come-this-virus-is-going-to-be-with-us

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Adam Schlesinger, the guy who wrote all the music for “Crazy ex-girlfriend,” just died of Coronavirus at the age of 52.

I'd heard he was seriously ill with this. That's sad, as are all the deaths.

He's also from Fountains of Wayne, for those who know that band.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Hon, I can't trill my "rr's" after 36 years in Italy. They still understand me. I still have an "American" accent. Don't let that hold you back from learning a language. If people can understand you, you're doing great. It's difficult to speak like a native, unless you've learned the language as a child. One thing we've noticed here is that Slavic language speakers, such as Polish, Russian, etc, learn to speak Italian even as adults with no accent. My husband is constantly amazed.

I had Spanish in high school, but it was a video class and we never actually had conversation time or someone to listen to correct our pronunciations. Coming out of those classes, I could read Spanish fairly well, write in it ok, but still couldn't really speak it or follow a conversation in it. And now that its been over 20 years ago, I can't even do those things any more lol

What is it about the Russian language that allows them to learn other languages flawlessly? I know, that's just my perception, but it does seem to me that they can learn how to sound like a native in a lot of other languages. It's like Germans who can speak American English just like a native, though I can at least get how Germans learn to do that - both languages are from the same root language, at least - but Russian and the other Slavic languages split from the Romance languages a very, very long time ago and are radically different, so I'm amazed at their ability, too alongside your husband!

I think it's just really specific to the person. I know Russians and other Eastern Europeans who speak English with barely an accent and others who have a strong accent, and similarly Germans in both categories (think of someone like Henry Kissinger who came here at 15, but had something of an accent always). I'd hoped German would be easier for me accent-wise than French, but so far not.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I play the piano, but can't play by ear to save my life - I need the sheet music in front of me, so using YouTube doesn't work in this case. Not that I need more sheet music now, anyway :)

The technological jump may not work for everyone, but you can get sheet music for tablets.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    playing piano from a book is bad enough having to turn pages trying not to fumble in doing so, and at least in books you get 2 pages before you have to turn; there's no way I'd ever be able to play using a tablet and trying to swipe to turn pages. Besides which, I have enough trouble seeing the music on a 8x10 page; no way I want to try on a tablet screen, especially my 7" kindle screen.

I've used sheetmusic.com in the past and will again for individual pieces, but the problem I have is that it prints smaller than a typical book is and not as sharp and crisp, either, and it gives me a little more trouble. I'm nearsighted, so need that music nice and clear to be sure what to play.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    This is a great map of how much people are staying home, or not: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/02/us/coronavirus-social-distancing.html

I have a case in MS, and the map reflects what we are hearing so far from the court (like not shutting down hearings, requiring they be in person if on something significant). Luckily opposing counsel are also in areas that are shut down, so we are being a united front.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    This is a great map of how much people are staying home, or not: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/02/us/coronavirus-social-distancing.html

I have a case in MS, and the map reflects what we are hearing so far from the court (like not shutting down hearings, requiring they be in person if on something significant). Luckily opposing counsel are also in areas that are shut down, so we are being a united front.

Cool map. I'm kind of in my own little bubble here in my village and haven't really seen what is going on in New Mexico outside of my little bubble. The large gray area of no travel is encouraging...that is mostly the Albuquerque/Rio Rancho metro area, Santa Fe, and Taos and the gray area in the southern part of the state is the Las Cruces area. These are all of the largest population centers in my 2 million people state.

The areas to the east and southeast of the state is a lot of oil and natural gas drilling, etc....so not too surprised to see more of a business as usual in that area. The bright red to the west/southwest of the state is the Gila Mountain area...the biggest town is Silver City and it is very small...wouldn't surprise me if they just don't feel as though what is happening in the more populous areas of the state really apply to them...that would be my guess anyway.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Hon, I can't trill my "rr's" after 36 years in Italy. They still understand me. I still have an "American" accent. Don't let that hold you back from learning a language. If people can understand you, you're doing great. It's difficult to speak like a native, unless you've learned the language as a child. One thing we've noticed here is that Slavic language speakers, such as Polish, Russian, etc, learn to speak Italian even as adults with no accent. My husband is constantly amazed.

I had Spanish in high school, but it was a video class and we never actually had conversation time or someone to listen to correct our pronunciations. Coming out of those classes, I could read Spanish fairly well, write in it ok, but still couldn't really speak it or follow a conversation in it. And now that its been over 20 years ago, I can't even do those things any more lol

What is it about the Russian language that allows them to learn other languages flawlessly? I know, that's just my perception, but it does seem to me that they can learn how to sound like a native in a lot of other languages. It's like Germans who can speak American English just like a native, though I can at least get how Germans learn to do that - both languages are from the same root language, at least - but Russian and the other Slavic languages split from the Romance languages a very, very long time ago and are radically different, so I'm amazed at their ability, too alongside your husband!

I think it's just really specific to the person. I know Russians and other Eastern Europeans who speak English with barely an accent and others who have a strong accent, and similarly Germans in both categories (think of someone like Henry Kissinger who came here at 15, but had something of an accent always). I'd hoped German would be easier for me accent-wise than French, but so far not.

I grew in a bilingual family, Italian/ English. Sadly, we were not encouraged to become fluent in Italian as the generation before ours had immigrated and experienced discrimination. So, they viewed speaking Italian as something that identified you as an immigrant. But you couldn't help but pick up some by being around the older family members who spoke it amongst themselves or to my grandparents.

When I first moved to Mexico, I was told several times that my Spanish sounded like it had an Italian accent and not an English one. I guess because I was used to the similar pronunciations, that is just how it came out.

Over time I have been able to learn to speak Spanish with less of any accent and haven't gotten the Italian accent comment in a long while. Back in February, I performed a Jazz concert with accompanying musicians and a couple of the pieces were Spanish language pieces, 2 boleros, Un Poco Mas by Alvaro Carillo and Dos Gardenias, of Buena Vista Social Club fame, by Isolina Carillo (Odd that they had the same last name as they were not related. One being Mexican and the other Cuban.)

One of my Mexican friends came up to me after the concert and said, "The Spanish pieces were fabulous! You sang them without almost any accent!" :D

I think if you are musical and auditory and used to listening for the nuances of sounds and accents, it helps you to learn a language with a minimum of an accent. It takes practice and time but, if it is important to you, it can be done. It's just not that important to some people. For example, my wife is not musical or very auditory. She is more knowledgeable and fluent in Spanish than I am, but speaks with far more of an American English accent.

All that to say, I agree that it is specific to the person.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    We got tp but it’s a 4pack .
    We have a 1 per type of Item limit here so yup their stuff but we have to go out searching more so more exposure.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,954 Member
    Options

Ha. I'm in King County, where the first case was recorded. It says we have a 100% decrease. How is that even possible? I still see lots of cars out and about.

To be fair though - I'm leaving my phone at home when I go out...I just don't want or need to contaminate it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Some good, and not so good news.

Scary statistic, gun/ammo sales up 41% in the US in March.

The US will no longer ship medical devices/supplies for fighting Covid 19 to other countries, while the need here is so great (duh).

China sends 1,000,000 medical masks to US.

It only makes sense. I don’t know about other places, but police here are only responding to calls with injuries. Every day I get NextDoor alerts about cars being broken into, basement windows damaged, Ring photos, it’s crazy. What I’ve realized is that I’m completely alone for the duration of this mess. No one to hear me if I scream No one to back me up. No one to call for help if I can’t.

Damn straight I’m stocking self defense supplies every bit as mindfully as I am cleaning supplies and food.

I'm licensed to carry a pistol and never used to around home. Now I do (although I don't need a license to carryat home anyway). The only time not in reach is in the shower. And since I am WFH, I don't honestly shower daily. Don't see a need... anyway, I am taking no chances because it is only going to get worse. I have to take care of myself.
  • lemurcat2
    Options

Ha. I'm in King County, where the first case was recorded. It says we have a 100% decrease. How is that even possible? I still see lots of cars out and about.

To be fair though - I'm leaving my phone at home when I go out...I just don't want or need to contaminate it.

I actually think WA is in good shape since you had that outbreak and adjusted early. My dad is in Cowlitz and they have few cases so far. I'm in Chicago and they are showing us reducing dramatically and comparatively that's largely true but in nice weather in my nabe you still need to dodge kids.