Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I didn't read bmeadows to be judging the woman who said that.

I have been reaching out to people in my neighborhood/ward to see what help they need, and most of the people I got on the phone (it's a ward initiative, not just mine) said they were pretty fortunate as they still had their jobs and could get what they needed, but it was hard to work from home and care for kids at the same time. I think that's really common. I have a coworker who is divorced and the primary care-giver for her child (maybe the only during this period) and she is having a hard time balancing both.
  • lemurcat2
    Options
  • getto80kg
    getto80kg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ruatine wrote: »
    My emotions are so on edge these days. I saw on Facebook that a childhood friend's father passed away from COVID-19. I didn't know her father, and I'm not all that close to her anymore, but I started crying when I read it. :cry: Poor lady was diagnosed with PPMS 6 months ago and now had her father die. Crappity crap crap. Between that and ridiculous work stress this week, all I want to do is drink and play video games.

It's the same in England, everyone keeping their distance, feels really weird going to the shops for essentials, all pubs and bars are shut, everyone is washing their hands all the time, even cleaning food packaging.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Had to venture out, just to Dollar General in search of something to use for ties on masks for my husband’s employees (hoping cheap clothesline will work - it would be puny to use as intended, but for ties hopefully it will work). Overheard a lady loudly (and grumpily) comment “... because it’s not airborne!” Oi... not sure the context, but you could tel she was annoyed for some reason or another. I had a headband/gaiter pulled over my nose and mouth, only saw a couple other people with masks.

@moonangel12 - if you can find them - skinny shoelaces having been working for people. Flat so easy to tie. 👍🏻
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Just in case anyone has not yet heard about this:
    An infectious disease breaks out in a densely populated metropolis and is spreading rapidly, causing respiratory failure and death in its victims. As local containment and response mechanisms break down and cases multiply, it becomes clear that a global response -- spanning governments, humanitarian organizations, health agencies and the military -- will be required.

That scenario is not a condensed narrative of the COVID-19 pandemic that currently has much of the globe on lockdown. Rather, it's the premise of a war game run last September by the Naval War College (NWC) in Newport, Rhode Island. And its findings -- released in summary format Wednesday -- reveal prescient and sometimes troubling parallels to the real-world response effort that continues today.

Called Urban Outbreak 2019, the war game involved 50 experts who spent two days coordinating response, containment and messaging efforts around the notional pandemic. Some of the conclusions, such as the way forced mass quarantine can backfire and trigger additional disease spread, and how the mortality rate is better than the overall number of disease cases in assessing the scale of an outbreak -- have been proved out through the response to the novel coronavirus.

Other insights specific to the military's response also hit home.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/04/01/naval-war-college-ran-pandemic-war-game-2019-conclusions-were-eerie.html

Findings: https://digital-commons.usnwc.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1001&context=civmilresponse-program-sims-uo-2019
  • GummiMundi
    GummiMundi Posts: 396 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Just in case anyone has not yet heard about this:
    An infectious disease breaks out in a densely populated metropolis and is spreading rapidly, causing respiratory failure and death in its victims. As local containment and response mechanisms break down and cases multiply, it becomes clear that a global response -- spanning governments, humanitarian organizations, health agencies and the military -- will be required.

That scenario is not a condensed narrative of the COVID-19 pandemic that currently has much of the globe on lockdown. Rather, it's the premise of a war game run last September by the Naval War College (NWC) in Newport, Rhode Island. And its findings -- released in summary format Wednesday -- reveal prescient and sometimes troubling parallels to the real-world response effort that continues today.

That scenario is also the basis of countless fiction books and movies released in the past, so no surprises there.

(I somehow screwed up the quote tags, sorry about that.)
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    mkculs13 wrote: »
    bmeadows380 wrote: »

WV is supposed to be doing it by packets, but I'm not sure it's going well. Parents are complaining about having to educate their children. Such as this one woman my brother overheard complaining about it, saying "that's what I send them to school for". *sigh* Supposedly, graduation and prom has been postponed to July. Personally, I kind of hope they decide to start the school year early this year, so the kids can catch up - instead of mid August, restart in mid-July or even right after the 4th. I doubt it, though.

As a teacher, I also believe that formal education should happen at school and/or with teachers unless one chooses to homeschool. But not everyone is able or willing to homeschool (obviously) for many, many reasons.

I'm wondering how many parents today were taught math like it is taught now. For example,

? = 56 + 37
    =[50 + 6] + 37
    =[50 + 6] + [30 + 7]
    = 50 + [6 +30] + 7
    = 50 + [30 + 6] + 7
    = [50 + 30] + [6 + 7]
    = 80 + 13
    = 80+ [10 + 3]
    = [80 + 10] + 3
    = 90 + 3
    = 93

I recall that the way I learned some content was very different than the way my parents learned it, and the way my kids learn it is different than the way I learned it.

It's fine if you are helping your kid with homework all along and you are seeing how they are being taught. But what happens if your child has done just fine on their own and didn't need help, and suddenly in 4th grade is struggling? There you are, trying to teach them to write

+37
    ______

And you're telling them to "carry the 1."

I would not have known about common core math at lower grades except I work with students who sometimes are at those grade levels. I had to learn quickly how to teach it the way they were already being taught. And geometry doesn't involve proofs anymore; who knew?

Maybe I'm a lot older and many of you have been taught this way--I don't know. I just know that what is taught and how it is taught changes, and a lot of folks might struggle to figure out what the heck their child is trying to do when it is obvious to the parent how to do it their own way.

That's really interesting. That definitely not how I learned to do it in school (1960s); I learned that "carry the one" thing.

But the stepwise thing is much closer to how I do arithmetic in my head, and have as a practical matter for my whole adult life. (I wouldn't do every single one of the steps you show, but I definitely simplify the addends to ones that are easier to add in my head.)

I pretty much can only do the "carry the one" method on paper, not in my head.

Apparently other people's mileage varies. :lol:

Yeah, I was taught the carry the one thing, and am pretty good at addition in my head, and the new thing, which I'd not seen before, seems quite intuitive to me. I'd think you should be able to learn either way and have the other make sense.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,750 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Meadows- Since this is effecting the whole world all the leaders need to get together discuss a world wide plan like this until this is over. Their predictions is this will be going on even in November.

Problem is instead of humanity the natural human greed will stop it from happening.The homeless rate after this will be huge

Australia Shutdown announced it will be for 6 more months 5minutes ago was posted https://youtu.be/Yy7Nz2jUQtI

1) New South Wales is a state, not the whole of Australia

2) that's not actually what the premier said.

That restrictions will be needed for a long period to control the number of active cases at any one is a no brainer. Anyone still thinking this will all be over in a few weeks needs to wake up.

"We're in this for at least 6 months" is that long period for any kind of restrictions, then? now specifically shutdown or what have you?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Meadows- Since this is effecting the whole world all the leaders need to get together discuss a world wide plan like this until this is over. Their predictions is this will be going on even in November.

Problem is instead of humanity the natural human greed will stop it from happening.The homeless rate after this will be huge

Australia Shutdown announced it will be for 6 more months 5minutes ago was posted https://youtu.be/Yy7Nz2jUQtI

1) New South Wales is a state, not the whole of Australia

2) that's not actually what the premier said.

That restrictions will be needed for a long period to control the number of active cases at any one is a no brainer. Anyone still thinking this will all be over in a few weeks needs to wake up.

"We're in this for at least 6 months" is that long period for any kind of restrictions, then? now specifically shutdown or what have you?

Can you maybe clarify what you've said/asked there @lkpducky? Words seem to be missing and I'd like to respond appropriately.
  • lkpducky
    Options
    The NSW premier said on the video "I don't care what the prime minister said, we're in it for at least six months" that was at 1:40. I think I understand now that she's referring to the length of time of the current restrictions (not leaving home except for specific reasons)...?
  • lkpducky
    Options
    @Nony_Mouse thanks!