Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    slimjo ( in which state?) and mockchoc in Qld- yes, I am also happy with how it has been handled here in Australia too - with exception of infamous Ruby Princess fiasco.
    I dont know much about Newmarch and how it got out of hand there.

our perfect run in SA - 14 days of zero new cases - came to an end yesterday with one new case.

I know everyone has the fear of re opening too soon - but I think Australia is re opening very cautiously in comparison to case load.

The only change in SA so far (where admittedly restrictions weren't as tight as other states in first place) is untaping of playgrounds/skate parks.

US ( as a whole- I realise it isnt same throughout) seems to be re opening faster than us despite still having many more active cases and spikes of new cases.

I'm in NSW 🙂
  • slimgirljo15
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    @paperpudding

Oops sorry, I mangled the quote 😬

Yes I realise that.

Of course spread is more where people are in close proximity - that is the whole point of social distancing and lockdowns.

We do have people in cities, nursing homes etc here too, you know.

And land size isn't really the issue - yes, Australia has an overall low population density to land space - but not really, when you factor in that large areas of inland are extremely sparsely populated and that obviously brings the average down.

I think our success rate with coronavirus is more to do with strong early leadership, undivided by party politics, and strong compliance by vast majority of the population.

I'm pretty happy with how they are handling it... apart from the Ruby Princess and Newmarch Nursing home debacles, costing 36 lives...without those 2 hot spots our toll would be less than 60 Australia wide. My one worry is that things will be opened up too soon and a second wave will undo all we've done so far... Yeah, it's been tough and isolation sucked but I'd do anything to keep my dad and family safe.... anything.

We are going great Jo. I'm positive we in Queensland will be fine, got to think positive! Some idiot could screw it all up in an instant still I guess. We have zero virus where I am now. We are only allowed to drive 50km's from home and have to sleep at home too.

That's good news Sue, Queensland is doing so well, 6 deaths statewide for you guys.. 44 for us in NSW. I'm thinking Victoria's number will rise due to the cluster at that abattoir, fingers crossed it doesn't though.
    Stay safe Sue 🙂[/quote]
    @paperpudding

Oops sorry, I mangled the quote 😬

Yes I realise that.

Of course spread is more where people are in close proximity - that is the whole point of social distancing and lockdowns.

We do have people in cities, nursing homes etc here too, you know.

And land size isn't really the issue - yes, Australia has an overall low population density to land space - but not really, when you factor in that large areas of inland are extremely sparsely populated and that obviously brings the average down.

I think our success rate with coronavirus is more to do with strong early leadership, undivided by party politics, and strong compliance by vast majority of the population.

I'm pretty happy with how they are handling it... apart from the Ruby Princess and Newmarch Nursing home debacles, costing 36 lives...without those 2 hot spots our toll would be less than 60 Australia wide. My one worry is that things will be opened up too soon and a second wave will undo all we've done so far... Yeah, it's been tough and isolation sucked but I'd do anything to keep my dad and family safe.... anything.

We are going great Jo. I'm positive we in Queensland will be fine, got to think positive! Some idiot could screw it all up in an instant still I guess. We have zero virus where I am now. We are only allowed to drive 50km's from home and have to sleep at home too. [/quote]

That's good news Sue, Queensland is doing so well, 6 deaths statewide for you guys.. 44 for us in NSW. I'm thinking Victoria's number will rise due to the cluster at that abattoir, fingers crossed it doesn't though.
    Stay safe Sue 🙂[/quote]

We have a pork processing plant with about 140 testing positive. Trump ordered all meat processing plants must stay open.
    How can they possibly both quarantine and keep the plant open? Talk about a storm. They are doomed to lose a lot! Lives,
    Family, the plant. Farmers will lose. Who else? It’s all lose, lose.
    [/quote]

Sorry to hear about the meat processing plant.. 😔 same here a huge number of positive cases at one plant. Tbh I'm not sure what they are doing to contain, I haven't seen the news this morning.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I want to know why the meat workers are so able to get sick from this. Can't they make them work further apart? No one should be doing ANYTHING near anyone else. Full stop. Don't you realise this kills?
  • smithker75
    smithker75 Posts: 80 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    ok6qhxmt0tq2.jpg
    Our (Australian) Prime Minister has just announced the 3 stage process for return to business which is expected to be complete by July. States and Territories have the authority to roll out these stages independently.
    My organisation has already decided to maintain working from home for at least a few months yet as it is working quite well for us (I'm in QLD).
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    slimjo ( in which state?) and mockchoc in Qld- yes, I am also happy with how it has been handled here in Australia too - with exception of infamous Ruby Princess fiasco.

our perfect run in SA - 14 days of zero new cases - came to an end yesterday with one new case.

I know everyone has the fear of re opening too soon - but I think Australia is re opening very cautiously in comparison to case load.

The only change in SA so far (where admittedly restrictions weren't as tight as other states in first place) is untaping of playgrounds/skate parks.

US ( as a whole- I realise it isnt same throughout) seems to be re opening faster than us despite still having many more active cases and spikes of new cases.

I'm in NSW 🙂

Thanks for answering.

NSW has been worst hit of Australian states. :/
    Not sure how popular Gladys is now after gross mishandling of Ruby Princess.

• mockchoc
    Options
    smithker75 wrote: »
    ok6qhxmt0tq2.jpg
    Our (Australian) Prime Minister has just announced the 3 stage process for return to business which is expected to be complete by July. States and Territories have the authority to roll out these stages independently.
    My organisation has already decided to maintain working from home for at least a few months yet as it is working quite well for us (I'm in QLD).

Whatever! I'm in QLD too. All fine till someone down south brings it up and spreads it. Back to square one. Stop the spread by cutting off southern parts of QLD ASAP. We like having zero cases now. Don't let those in the south up here for now. Sorted. We can go back to our usual lives. Politicians won't do it though. Do you think the 50 km driving rule will stop the idiots? We can only do 50Kms. We get to no where from here lol. A few beaches. I'm fine with it though.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    ok6qhxmt0tq2.jpg

Interesting.

SA Is pretty much at Step 1 now, as our restrictions were never as tight as some other states.

In my town, , the library has closed altogether - but I hear some councils are doing select your books online, and pick up from counter. No group activities, no browsing the shelves, but you can still borrow like that.

I expect restrictions within our state to relax soon but I think state borders willl be closed, at least to eastern states, for quite some time.
  • smithker75
    Options

Whatever! I'm in QLD too. All fine till someone down south brings it up and spreads it. Back to square one. Stop the spread by cutting off southern parts of QLD ASAP. We like having zero cases now. Don't let those in the south up here for now. Sorted. We can go back to our usual lives. Politicians won't do it though. Do you think the 50 km driving rule will stop the idiots? We can only do 50Kms. We get to no where from here lol. A few beaches. I'm fine with it though.

QLD Premier's office has just announced that their intention is to allow travel just in time for the next school holidays! If State borders do stay closed, everyone will be traveling north.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    ok6qhxmt0tq2.jpg

I don’t see houses of worship on the plan - is that not as controversial a thing there as it is in the States? How is it being handled?
  • mockchoc
    Options

QLD Premier's office has just announced that their intention is to allow travel just in time for the next school holidays! If State borders do stay closed, everyone will be traveling north.

I suggest they don't or else they might be in big trouble. You are joking right? Proof please? No one is allowed to go more than 50kms as far as I heard so far.
  • smithker75
    edited May 2020
    Options

I suggest they don't or else they might be in big trouble. You are joking right? Proof please? No one is allowed to go more than 50kms as far as I heard so far.

https://www.covid19.qld.gov.au/government-actions/roadmap-to-easing-queenslands-restrictions

@rheddmobile Churches/places of worship here have mostly been completely compliant with restrictions. It looks like places of worship will not open fully until at least July with staggered stages of increased gathering numbers and allowances for funerals and weddings. This pertains specifically to my State which seems to be following the timeline advice from the federal government pretty closely.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman Agreed. Our rec center shower rooms are a complete dump. They're cleaned at the beginning and end of summer and that's about all she wrote. There's black mold in the corners and the same old shower curtains are used. *snip*

Ew. At my gym the showers are cleaned at LEAST once a week by a professional crew. They are cleaner than my home shower...*looks around guiltily* I mean...um, we clean ours too, but there is hair on occasion and we have kids so bath crayon on the wall, etc.

Wow. My gym is kind of pricey but I like the facilities and array of free classes. Now I feel like I'm definitely getting my money's worth. The showers are cleaned every day, and the toilet stalls are cleaned multiple times a day. Even when I've gone in to the shower just before the daily cleaning, everything still looks clean.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Of course in IL liquor and recreational marijuana retailers have been deemed essential and open through all of this.

I think liquor has been deemed essential in every state with closures. I know it was the case here in MN as well.

PA has state run liquor stores for wine and hard liquor. Beer and some wine is available in some (but not all) groceries and gas station mini-marts. The state stores were closed along with everything else, but have started doing drive up sales in a few places. People have been driving to W.Va and NJ to get alcohol, and I think the government was worried about the loss of revenue, plus the fact that it's illegal to transport across state lines. Supposedly, the state stores will reopen in the dozen or so counties that are partly opening this weekend.

I read an article yesterday about India opening up their liquor stores after 6 weeks and having a huge run on them when the doors opened. The crowds were immense. So the government decided to do a special 70% Covid tax on alcohol. That 's one way to cut down on the crowds.

Plus the fact that driving to another state for alcohol isn't exactly a good practice when folks are supposed to be staying home except for essential errands (increased road miles = increased likelihood of accidents and breakdowns that will then require close physical proximity with whoever comes to rescue you, potential diversion of first-responder and hospital medical resources, etc.). Plus the possibility that at least some of the folks who feel compelled to drive to another state to get alcohol are not going to be able to restrain themselves from drinking until they get home.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    I am in Iowa. We had a stay in place order, never an actual lockdown. Last Friday 77 out of 99 counties were allowed to open quite a bit of things. Most businesses were to limit capacity to 50%. Masks are recommended as well as social distancing, the vulnerable to still stay home. Some of the stores are requiring masks. The other 22 is where more of the bigger cities are & more of the virus activity, but as of tomorrow, some things can resume there also. Malls, spas, campgrounds through the state. Churches have been allowed since last Friday, altho most of the bigger ones have chosen to remain closed with video services for now. Restaurants have been closed, with delivery & carry out only. Ones in the 77 counties can reopen with restrictions, although on the news a lot have said that is not feasable, so will remain closed.

Our case numbers & deaths jumped about a week ago & now have been holding pretty steady. They say the reason is because they are testing more & especially in suspected hot spots (nursing homes & packing plants). I guess part of the criteria they are using to open is that we still have an abundance of ICU beds & ventilators currently.

As some of the "vulnerable" (over 65), we will be continuing on as we have been. Staying home as much as possible, keeping our distance from people if we are out & wearing a mask if we will be close to anyone. People here are walking a lot & nobody wears a mask for that, but do try to keep their distance.

If they are telling you that a spike in deaths is because of increased testing, they should be able to point to higher death rates in preceding days and weeks that were attributed to other causes that could really have been covid (e.g., flu, pneumonia, stroke, etc.). Otherwise, they're just blowing smoke.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    I want to know why the meat workers are so able to get sick from this. Can't they make them work further apart? No one should be doing ANYTHING near anyone else. Full stop. Don't you realise this kills?

Not the way the plants have traditionally been run, and I guess nobody has been innovative enough to find a way to change things without reducing profits.
  • slimgirljo15
    Options

I'm in NSW 🙂

Thanks for answering.

NSW has been worst hit of Australian states. :/
    Not sure how popular Gladys is now after gross mishandling of Ruby Princess.

I'm pretty sure a fair lump of blame goes to the Cruise line, NSW Health and maybe border control... what a freaking mess and they are all blaming each other 🙄
    It will be interesting to see what comes out of the Inquiry.