Coronavirus prep

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    This is an interesting documentary on tracking everything through people’s mobile devices in China. It is scary.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/show/how-chinas-high-tech-eyes-monitor-behavior-and-dissent
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    This is an interesting documentary on tracking everything through people’s mobile devices in China. It is scary.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/amp/show/how-chinas-high-tech-eyes-monitor-behavior-and-dissent

The facial recognition there reminds me of the red queen in the hive in resident evil. All they are missing the the little girl saying "you're all going to die down here"

Lol.. but it's pretty sad that someone is considered untrustworthy because they jay walked across the street. Lol... I'm the most awful untrustworthy person ever then
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited April 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

My note: I think the neighborhood by neighborhood approach wouldn't work as well now, where there is a lot of interaction between neighborhoods -- kind of surprised it could work even back then.

They're currently doing something similar here, but by provenance. I agree, each neighborhood having a different timeline would be a logistical nightmare.

Starting next week, the southernmost provenance (very far from all known clusters) will gradually open up. They will concentrate testing there for the next 3 days and if all results are negative they will isolate it (no one is allowed in or out) and gradually ease lockdown. The rest of the country will still be in lockdown, and certain neighborhoods or buildings where cases are clustered are completely quarantined off and not allowed to leave. Maybe that's what they mean? Focusing on closing off infected neighborhoods instead of having actual timelines for each neighborhood?
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    That's a shame that ambulances and hospital workers were left to suffer... no belief in my opinion should cost lives in its protest or support
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

My note: I think the neighborhood by neighborhood approach wouldn't work as well now, where there is a lot of interaction between neighborhoods -- kind of surprised it could work even back then.

They're currently doing something similar here, but by provenance. I agree, each neighborhood having a different timeline would be a logistical nightmare.

Starting next week, the southernmost provenance (very far from all known clusters) will gradually open up. They will concentrate testing there for the next 3 days and if all results are negative they will isolate it (no one is allowed in or out) and gradually ease lockdown. The rest of the country will still be in lockdown, and certain neighborhoods or buildings where cases are clustered are completely quarantined off and not allowed to leave. Maybe that's what they mean? Focusing on closing off infected neighborhoods instead of having actual timelines for each neighborhood?

I don't think they will try neighborhood by neighborhood this time. That's just what they did in 1918. I can see better testing, testing for antibodies (if they actually prove to prevent reinfection) and then better quarantining of those infected, perhaps.

I was thinking about county by county since there are real differences here, but it's hard to imagine even that working as people are so mobile. I think one thing they will do is open up partially but keep social distancing in place in a lot of ways, and no gatherings above certain sizes still.
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,194 MFP Moderator
    Quick update from slightly south of DC (in MD). Masks have become almost mandatory in the area. Several surrounding counties have mandated masks when shopping, and I suspect that my county will come on board shortly. Many stores in the area are already mandating a mask when on their premises. I have a few coming via Amazon eventually, but heaven only knows when they'll get here. In the meantime, I've been heading out with my winter running gator... Also, still working from home and seeking TP. I think I may head to Walmart first thing in the morning tomorrow to see if there is any. And working from home is becoming a bit easier. I wonder if they'll let us continue to do so every once in a while after we are told we can head back to the office...
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,717 Member
    In Los Angeles County, concerts and sporting events may be cancelled through next year
    https://patch.com/california/culvercity/s/h30mz/coronavirus-may-cancel-la-sports-concerts-until-2021-report?utm_source=alert-breakingnews&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=alert
    Our stay-at-home order is through May 15. I don't know if that will change over the coming days or not.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Quick update from slightly south of DC (in MD). Masks have become almost mandatory in the area. Several surrounding counties have mandated masks when shopping, and I suspect that my county will come on board shortly. Many stores in the area are already mandating a mask when on their premises. I have a few coming via Amazon eventually, but heaven only knows when they'll get here. In the meantime, I've been heading out with my winter running gator... Also, still working from home and seeking TP. I think I may head to Walmart first thing in the morning tomorrow to see if there is any. And working from home is becoming a bit easier. I wonder if they'll let us continue to do so every once in a while after we are told we can head back to the office...

I ordered a couple of masks from a couple of different places hoping one of them will get to me before the end of the month. Work was nice enough to get us all one but it's too big for me and I'm not sure I have the creative skills to make it work lol. I've tried a couple of no sew ones myself, but they've all been too hard to breathe with so far.

In town I'd say maybe half the people out and about are wearing masks. Out here in the rural counties I'll just see one here or there. It's really easy to stay 6-10 ft away from people and we have very few cases, so I think a lot of people think it's a waste. I hope they're not taking too much of a gamble. There are no mask requirements here I central VA, just recommended.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited April 2020
    No mandatory masks here in Texas. Heard USA president talking about opening the country back up soon.Will see who he opens up or not - plus how it goes. I’m still waiting to see our jump in cases from Easter parties. Good news is after that cops are getting like only 40calls a day now so way less work for them so they can concentrate on more important stuff like assisting Medical facilities to food drives ect