• Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Yeah. I honestly dont know how different having uber here would be
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »

Anyway, today is the first day of mandatory face masks in my area. I don't (voluntarily) sew, so for anyone else who also doesn't sew (and can't find face masks) I found some no-sew face masks from t-shirts: https://jennifermaker.com/no-sew-face-mask-tshirt/

That's a great link. I'm so happy there are creative and talented people in the world (I am not one of them) and the internet to share their talents.

Sadly, I cleaned out my dresser and closet yesterday and threw out a bunch of old t-shirts that probably would have made really nice masks.

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    Hmm..

We do have uber eats here however I cannot use it as every email and phone number I've had is already made into an account that I didnt make. Lol

Since I cant use it, I dont know if it's any good but I do know that skip the dishes here is pretty awful and after an hour, and I live in the main city of halifax, they still couldnt find a driver to pick up my food and expected it to be another hour lol... so it's almost like either there is no demand for it or people here arent interested in working at such a job.

Now.. I know people have said that there is a demand for more cabs here, but I wonder, how many people would decide to become an uber driver.. or would it end up being like skip the dishes lol
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yeah. I honestly dont know how different having uber here would be

I suspect it would be different. Here's it's usually cheaper (although depends on demand). Their rates aren't set by the city the way cab companies are.

I've found Lyft/Uber (I usually take Lyft) really helpful when traveling to cities or areas where it's not so easy to get cabs as where I live. In the past I would have to rent a car, but typically can avoid it now. However, without exception all the Lyft drivers I've interacted with in Jackson, MS, for whatever reason, have been very weird (I have not had this experience at all in any other city, where they are usually pretty nice and normal and often interesting if you talk to them which I often do). This one guy said he was from Atlanta and asked me if I was, and when I said Chicago, he said "well, then, you understand about the strip club scene" and started telling me about all the money he made driving strippers around Atlanta and the stripper vs. stripper fights he overheard. (For the record, I don't have a clue about strip clubs here or in Atlanta.) ;-)

Surge pricing is pretty wild. Some friends went to a Packers game in Green Bay and stayed about 20 miles away in Appleton. They found out it is typically a $20 or so Uber to GB non-event days. They got an Uber several hours before the game and it was $100 for the normally $20 trip. After the game the app was telling them it was $400 for the trip back. They had the driver's number from earlier in the day in their phone. Called and offered him $150 cash. Everyone was happy except Uber.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    4th person just died here, all 4 people have been from long term care nursing homes. I fear for the nursing home downtown, owned by the company I work for, they are up to 51 residents infected now and 33 staff members and its growing every day.

They just announced 3 died yesterday at Northwood <3 hugs

☹ seriously? 3 at once.. my god, how heart breaking. Those poor families... I can only imagine how the staff are feeling..

I know that if it ever got into my facility, even if it wasnt me being the one to bring it, everything I touched or people i gave help to.. I'd be terrified.

What a shame 🥺
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    Also I dont know why someone clicked like on the death of three people..
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    I suppose so.. at least I hope that's what it is.. downside to emotion buttons, they dont come across the right way sometimes
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,049 Member
    Options
    There've been a bunch of no-sew masks posted (from cut-down t-shirts or socks, or the ones with folded scarves or socks with stretchy hair ties or rubber bands to go over the ears). While I admit that I haven't tried these, the things I have tried, plus a reasonable number of decades' experience as a sewing/fabrics person, make me think that many of these designs will stretch or loosen during wear, creating spaces around the mask that might degrade their protectiveness (for oneself or others).

I haven't seen this design posted much - apologies if I missed it on this thread - but the link below is one I've seen that looks like it could be both non-stretch/less-loosening, and no-sew, FWIW.

https://www.maskbuilders.com/make

If I person wanted, they could incorporate other features from sewn masks, like pleats (horizontal folds) for better fit over the nose, and just staple or pin those at right/left edges, too. Ribbons, shoelaces, or something like paracord would work for ties, too, and might be sturdier in washing. Ties that tend to ravel, but are made of polyester-type fabrics (such as paracord), can be melted (carefully) with a match or lighter, to prevent raveling out with wear/washing. Don't touch the melted bit until it cools! (Paracord is a synthetic material cord with a synthetic fabric covering that kids often use for knotted jewelry or other crafts.)

Another thing I'd point out, for non-sewing people who may not know, is that fabric glue is a thing that exists. I'm doubtful that it would be strong enough to attach ties to mask, but probably would work to create a top casing (folded-over tube) for the nose-piece, if one used a flat piece of fabric rather than a sheet as in the example linked above.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Lol... yeah it's annoying when certain companies dont have any competition so that they have to care more.

It's the same with power here, only one company exists, nova scotia power, so no matter what they do, you have no choice but to stay with them, pay their rates, etc

Utilities are a "natural monopoly" because of how they work. It would not be efficient to have lots and lots of companies generating power and sending it out over many lines. Instead of 1 electrical line running down each street, it would be a dozen or more and the prices would need to be higher to pay for 1 house in every 10 buying electricity off of that line instead of all of them. Same goes for water and natural gas. Because they are natural monopolies, they are normally heavily regulated.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    I guess that makes sense.

Sure would love to be the CEO of that company tho, his bonuses at the end of the year are massive. Lol
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There've been a bunch of no-sew masks posted (from cut-down t-shirts or socks, or the ones with folded scarves or socks with stretchy hair ties or rubber bands to go over the ears). While I admit that I haven't tried these, the things I have tried, plus a reasonable number of decades' experience as a sewing/fabrics person, make me think that many of these designs will stretch or loosen during wear, creating spaces around the mask that might degrade their protectiveness (for oneself or others).

I haven't seen this design posted much - apologies if I missed it on this thread - but the link below is one I've seen that looks like it could be both non-stretch/less-loosening, and no-sew, FWIW.

https://www.maskbuilders.com/make

If I person wanted, they could incorporate other features from sewn masks, like pleats (horizontal folds) for better fit over the nose, and just staple or pin those at right/left edges, too. Ribbons, shoelaces, or something like paracord would work for ties, too, and might be sturdier in washing. Ties that tend to ravel, but are made of polyester-type fabrics (such as paracord), can be melted (carefully) with a match or lighter, to prevent raveling out with wear/washing. Don't touch the melted bit until it cools! (Paracord is a synthetic material cord with a synthetic fabric covering that kids often use for knotted jewelry or other crafts.)

Another thing I'd point out, for non-sewing people who may not know, is that fabric glue is a thing that exists. I'm doubtful that it would be strong enough to attach ties to mask, but probably would work to create a top casing (folded-over tube) for the nose-piece, if one used a flat piece of fabric rather than a sheet as in the example linked above.

It might be important to know that testing has found stretchy knit material is bad at filtering viruses. Tightly woven material is better. T-shirts or socks are not the ideal thing to make masks from, and neither are buffs.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    4th person just died here, all 4 people have been from long term care nursing homes. I fear for the nursing home downtown, owned by the company I work for, they are up to 51 residents infected now and 33 staff members and its growing every day.

They just announced 3 died yesterday at Northwood <3 hugs

☹ seriously? 3 at once.. my god, how heart breaking. Those poor families... I can only imagine how the staff are feeling..

I know that if it ever got into my facility, even if it wasnt me being the one to bring it, everything I touched or people i gave help to.. I'd be terrified.

What a shame 🥺

There is a nursing home here in town that is now under state investigation and it sounds like they for the most part ignored public health orders. 12 people have died there in the last couple of weeks and 23 employees have tested positive.

It is very sad...it hits home for me personally because my dad spent his life caring for his elders in nursing homes and retirement facilities, and once upon a time he was the facility administrator at this particular nursing home. Getting that job was actually the reason we moved from Nebraska to New Mexico, and he ran that facility with a great deal of pride and passion...sad what it has come to (even before this they have been under a lot of scrutiny the last few years). He passed on 5 years ago, and in a sense I am great-full that he doesn't have to see what the place that he loved so much has become.

That's sad ☹

Especially when someone puts their loved one in a home it's the hardest decision they have to make, not only that the residents have given up their homes and life to trying to fit what they can into a small room.

So when a facility just doesnt do their job in running the place and protecting their residents, and ensuring quality of care, the impact it has not only on the families, but the residents who worked so hard all their lives for the things they have, and can't even have the basic human right of dignity and care... it just astounds me that a collective group of people being witness to that could all be okay with it.

Before the strict rules currently being enforced were put in place, staff where I work knew they had to be on top of it, some even bought black lights to make sure their cleaning was as good as it could be, they asked questions and gained knowledge on how better to improve and took best measures they could. They insisted on stronger cleaning measures early on and better protection with screen and social distancing. To me, there could be no way, that everyone would collectively agree that it was fine without it. And it's extremely unlikely that if the administrator was choosing not to follow the guidelines and protocols that someone wouldnt go up the chain of command to make sure it was fixed.

I'm glad someone is investigating that because something is definitely not right there.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Here in Italy, we also have many nursing homes infected all over the country. They are now controlling all nursing homes to see where the responsibility lies and what went wrong.