Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @JustSomeEm

Okay, I just shared this with the folks and first thing came to their minds about Covid toes, sounds like symptoms of pneumonic plague.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/plague/symptoms-causes/syc-20351291

Then we took a trip down memory lane and they reminded me of a childhood friend and mother who died of the plague. They had rabbits/fleas and they carried it to the family. Their toes turned black/blue and their entire bodies before they died. It was a sad day.
    Petechiae and purpura are pretty common in severe infections - this sounds a lot like purpura to me, which is basically blood blisters under the skin on the extremities. Purpura is usually caused by the failure of blood to clot, while it sounds like they think the covid issues are caused by excess clotting. In any case, when an infection is in your bloodstream messing up your coagulation, the extremities are usually where you see it first.

That’s interesting and sad about the childhood friend. Not too many people today have had the experience of knowing someone with plague.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    There was a protest here, wanting things to open sooner. 10 people showed up. There’s supposed to be an online protest tomorrow, wanting the governor to keep things locked down longer. Do you think it will be better attended, since people won’t actually have to get up and get dressed. Lol. It will be interesting to see.

Glad it was only 10. At least it made social distancing more practical.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Lol
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Cordera, he just had a leg amputated and is currently in a coma, due to Covid-19. When he first got sick, he tested negative twice for Covid and on the 3rd try, tested positive. That's too many false negatives. :(

Had to have AAA jump my car yesterday and I asked the guy who came, if all his family/friends were staying healthy. He said 'oh we all had this back in December, we all got sick then and the media is over-playing all of this.' :(

Last thought but certainly not least.....I'm now afraid too many desperate people will be self-administering antiseptic solutions, hoping to kill any possible virus. :(:( People are so afraid now, so willing to try any possible thing.

We all need to remain cautious and smart about this. I saw pictures on MSN this a.m. of a firefighter's 5 month old baby girl who died from Covid. So much sadness. I know babies die from the flu every year. It doesn't matter to me; it's all sad and if any way can be seen to prevent a death or a million, I'll cautiously and intelligently do it.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I'm not happy about the fact we are opening recreation first (according to the Washington governor.)

Makes no sense. People are going to flock to parks and beaches and playgrounds.

I guess there's some reasoning behind it - not sure what. If you're going to let people get together in recreational ways, let them work. Much more important in my view.

I know I know, no one asked me.

I think(JMO) that places and businesses do need to reopen BUT with restrictions applied. If you're going to flock the beach, you MUST keep your distance, wear a mask, etc., etc. People need to be doing these things, keeping businesses alive once again, but in a whole different way. It is certainly the epitome of a double-edged sword. :(
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Economic repercussions from this are going to be staggering for a very long time. It’s important to get people back to work, making sure to do so in the safest possible way. The health and safety of people needs to be a priority over anything else. Slowly returning only with safety precautions in place and observations and reporting of employees health daily. There cannot be too much caution.
  • MarieBuch10
    MarieBuch10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 I don’t want to derail this thread but I personally would be very interested in hearing more about your experience with the “year 2000” panic. Don’t know if you’ve ever talked about this in depth on one of these boards, but if you were to post about it it would be very interesting! I was 4 at the time so have only vague memories of my mom sending me in to the basement to dip into her stockpile in the months after whatever should have happened, did not lol
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 I don’t want to derail this thread but I personally would be very interested in hearing more about your experience with the “year 2000” panic. Don’t know if you’ve ever talked about this in depth on one of these boards, but if you were to post about it it would be very interesting! I was 4 at the time so have only vague memories of my mom sending me in to the basement to dip into her stockpile in the months after whatever should have happened, did not lol

One relevant aside: The things we're hearing lately, about the unemployment compensation systems failing under overload, and a call for programmers who know the antique COBOL programming language in order to help fix them, is an example of a consequence of organizations being willing to limp along with old systems as long as they keep working, rather than spending lotsa money to do pretty much the same thing, but in a more catastrophe-resistant way. Organizations prefer to spend money on systems that will deliver new services or features; they don't want to spend on back-office stuff that appears from the executive suite (or legislature, or average taxpayer perspective) to be working just fine. If these were buildings, folks would see them crumbling. Systems are invisible.

Nice summary. I worked doing financial support for the IT area of a multi-national corporation. Our IT budget was close to $1B a year. Like most companies we had a lot of COBOL. I believe even now COBOL still processes 70-80% of business related transactions in the world.

Seems I read at one time it would cost somewhere north of 2 TRILLION dollars to replace all the COBOL programs worldwide. It's not sexy but someone who can program/fix COBOL can make bank.

I was thinking about learning Python (I work in corporate financial management). But maybe COBOL is the way to go after all. 🤔
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

One relevant aside: The things we're hearing lately, about the unemployment compensation systems failing under overload, and a call for programmers who know the antique COBOL programming language in order to help fix them, is an example of a consequence of organizations being willing to limp along with old systems as long as they keep working, rather than spending lotsa money to do pretty much the same thing, but in a more catastrophe-resistant way. Organizations prefer to spend money on systems that will deliver new services or features; they don't want to spend on back-office stuff that appears from the executive suite (or legislature, or average taxpayer perspective) to be working just fine. If these were buildings, folks would see them crumbling. Systems are invisible.

I think that’s valid, but only half the story. The other half has to do with software companies forcing regular upgrades on us in order to extort more money, and everyone getting used to hearing, “oh, it’s not working today, we ‘upgraded’ and now that feature isn’t working anymore.” End users are repeatedly told to stay up to date to avoid disaster, but then have the actual experience of the latest update bricking their expensive phone, making their printer driver incompatible etc. I personally have three scanners and I can’t count how many printers made by major manufacturers sitting in my attic which had to be replaced because the manufacturer never made a compatible driver when the operating system was upgraded. It’s not surprising that most businesses don’t see the need to throw out perfectly good hardware which worked yesterday because of a software upgrade. Not to mention replacing thousands of dollars worth of plugins, or tracking down new plugins to do the same thing, when a new version of my rendering software comes out. I work with a lot of guys whose philosophy is, “Don’t touch anything, it may be old but it’s working right now.”