Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, a question for anyone who has gone to the dentist to have a cleaning recently. I love my dentist and his staff; I feel they're top in the field around here. BUT I went today; they were extremely cautious. To the point of not polishing my teeth? They did the scaling and flossing and that was it??? I asked my sister about it because she went last week, to a different dentist. She said yes, they did still polish her teeth with pumice, but they used some kind of weird thing to scoop stuff out. Then she asked if they had an air purifier and I said I had no idea, didn't notice anything.

After I talked with my sister, I felt rather let down and disappointed in what my cleaning involved.
    If you've gone to have your teeth cleaned since the reopening, can you please share how they did it? Thanks!!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Hmmm, a question for anyone who has gone to the dentist to have a cleaning recently. I love my dentist and his staff; I feel they're top in the field around here. BUT I went today; they were extremely cautious. To the point of not polishing my teeth? They did the scaling and flossing and that was it??? I asked my sister about it because she went last week, to a different dentist. She said yes, they did still polish her teeth with pumice, but they used some kind of weird thing to scoop stuff out. Then she asked if they had an air purifier and I said I had no idea, didn't notice anything.

After I talked with my sister, I felt rather let down and disappointed in what my cleaning involved.
    If you've gone to have your teeth cleaned since the reopening, can you please share how they did it? Thanks!!

Went a couple weeks ago. Did the same procedure as before the virus. More masks, plexi-glass in the office though.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    @ReenieHJ Just check your bill and make sure that you were not charged for a service not rendered.

Just like @Theoldguy1 I got the full dental cleaning treatment.

The receptionist met me in the parking lot for an ask and answer questionnaire. She took my temp inside the office and gave me a small paper cup with an anti-fungal and anti-bacterial mouth rinse to use in the bathroom. She asked me to wash my hands after rinsing my mouth and directed me to the examining room. There were no other people in the waiting room or in the other exam’s rooms.

The dental assistant and the dentist were wearing NM95 masks, plus an additional mask covering the first one. They also had hair nets, double uniforms as a protection, and a discardable cover on top of the uniform. Gloves, goggles, faced shields, plus a plexi-glass shield between my face and the doctor’s face shield. This is anew precaution.

My dentist does the cleaning herself; the assistant does (and did) the flossing, polishing and fluoride treatment. The assistant was not helping the dentist this time while she was doing the cleaning. Only one person with the patient to limit contact.

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options

I usually have my teeth cleaned every 4 months. I haven’t been since last fall.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Mine was the usual...same for my eye appointment. I have my annual physical in late August and assume that will be normal as well.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

My daughter and husband just went recently, and our dentist office is not polishing teeth. I guess it is a lot of aerosols being produced.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

I was reading somewhere that some dental offices are trying to avoid any unnecessary procedures that cause aerosolizing of the saliva, while still doing some kind of beneficial service. Perhaps your office determined that the risk/benefit ratio of polishing wasn't worth it right now.

I saw an article where different researchers and epidemiologists were interviewed on what they are and aren't doing right now (for example none of them were eating inside a restaurant), and they were split on going for a routine dental cleaning (some would and some would not) so I'm skipping it for now. I'm terrible about going to the dentist anyway, but now I feel like I have a good excuse :blush:

I'm like you about the dentist. I rescheduled my June cleaning for September, but I'm thinking I just will not be going this year.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Mine was the usual...same for my eye appointment. I have my annual physical in late August and assume that will be normal as well.

Yeah I had a physical a few weeks ago. Same as usual.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Looks like the gyms in Chicago are being shut down again. Being thrown in the same category as bars smh.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options

Cleaning last week did not involve polishing—too many aerosols. After scraping and flossing she basically brushed my teeth with a pre-pasted toothbrush.

Going tomorrow for first part of a crown, so we’ll see how that goes. If I don’t get this tooth crowned soon, I can’t get a properly fitted retainer, so my teeth will continue to shift and I’ll keep having ridiculous jaw pain. So must brave the dentist again.