Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,984 Member
    Options
    I didn't click disagree either - but I do disagree that the fact that prescription med's can have side effects and these are listed for the public to know about, is scary stuff.

No, it isn't - it is just the obvious reality that medication can have side effects.

That’s not what I meant. It’s scary that they are rushing the vaccine through. Prescription drugs follow guidelines before they are able to prescribe them to the general public. Still there are risks to some people. It takes years, not months. It’s up to each of us to discuss with our doctors potential risks involved with prescription drugs they want to prescribe for us. Educate ourselves.

It’s scary that they are trying to push a vaccine through so quickly with no long term possible effects. There is something to say for safely proceeding.

Why do you think that the US is one of only two countries that allow tv advertising of prescription drugs? The almighty dollar!!! We pay a lot more for everything related to healthcare than any other country by a lot.

Well it might not have been what you meant but it is what it came across as.
    You asked why people disagreed and I think they may have disagreed with what you seemed to be saying there - as did I.

Why the US allows advertising of prescription med's and other countries do not and why your health care system is as it is - another topic altogether.

Has nothing to do with safety of vaccine trials or of prescribed medications.

• durden
    durden Posts: 3,176 MFP Staff
    Options
    Quick reminder going forward; Please stay on topic and avoid discussions of divisive content.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It has become abundantly clear in the past few days that a vaccine is our only hope of controlling this pandemic. Only local and state governments are trying to manage it and contain it any longer.

It is a race between Herd Immunity and a vaccine that is uncertain to work.

That whole CDC release of 94% had comorbidities did exactly what it was intended to do -- confuse those prone to believing that it wasn't serious in the first place to completely minimize it and go on with their lives while not worrying about spreading it to others. Super spreader events galore.

Stay safe people. Fall and Winter will be brutal.

Also read something yesterday about how Covid-19 is actually destroying DNA in heart muscles. The doctor that was interviewed for the article said "it left a black hole in the middle of cells" and "terrified him" so bad he couldn't sleep that night. They now think up to 10% of folks could have permanent heart damage.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/04/carnage-in-lab-dish-shows-how-coronavirus-may-damage-heart/

But heart conditions are common in viruses and if the incidence of serious heart issues is "only" 10% due to Covid that means that it is LESS than the flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/highrisk/heartdisease.htm

Not saying that covid isn't a serious issue, but all viruses can and do cause other conditions and kill people. It isn't something limited to Covid and yet I don't see people so upset about the flu when that can cause some serious side effects as well.
  • kushiel1
    kushiel1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    kushiel1 wrote: »
    It has become abundantly clear in the past few days that a vaccine is our only hope of controlling this pandemic. Only local and state governments are trying to manage it and contain it any longer.

It is a race between Herd Immunity and a vaccine that is uncertain to work.

That whole CDC release of 94% had comorbidities did exactly what it was intended to do -- confuse those prone to believing that it wasn't serious in the first place to completely minimize it and go on with their lives while not worrying about spreading it to others. Super spreader events galore.

Stay safe people. Fall and Winter will be brutal.

Also read something yesterday about how Covid-19 is actually destroying DNA in heart muscles. The doctor that was interviewed for the article said "it left a black hole in the middle of cells" and "terrified him" so bad he couldn't sleep that night. They now think up to 10% of folks could have permanent heart damage.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/09/04/carnage-in-lab-dish-shows-how-coronavirus-may-damage-heart/

But heart conditions are common in viruses and if the incidence of serious heart issues is "only" 10% due to Covid that means that it is LESS than the flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/highrisk/heartdisease.htm

Not saying that covid isn't a serious issue, but all viruses can and do cause other conditions and kill people. It isn't something limited to Covid and yet I don't see people so upset about the flu when that can cause some serious side effects as well.

Weird thing to say in a thread where people have been actively discussing getting flu vaccinations.

FYI, that link isn't talking about flu CAUSING heart conditions that didn't previously exist. It's talking about how the flu impacts people with pre-existing heart conditions. Did you mean to post something else?

Included in the article (though you are also correct that it affects those with heart conditions more) - Studies have shown that flu illness is associated with an increase of heart attacks and stroke. A 2018 studyexternal icon found that the risk of heart attack was 6 times higher within a week of confirmed flu infection. These findings were most pronounced for older adults and those experiencing their first heart attack. Additionally, a 2020 studyexternal icon that looked at more than 80,000 U.S. adults hospitalized with flu over eight flu seasons (2010-11 through 2017-18) found that sudden, serious heart complications were common and occurred in one out of every eight patients (~12% of patients). Direct quote from the article.

Also I was directly responding to someone who stated that Covid is causing up to 10% of people to have serious heart conditions - well the flu can cause 12% including those who also never had heart conditions before.

I'm just saying that everyone is so concerned about Covid but all viruses can cause Heart conditions as all viruses can attack heart muscle.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Eduardo Rodriguez, the Red Sox pitcher who is suffering from a covid related heart condition, was not hospitalized to the best of my knowledge. He said he was quite sick for a week or so, then once he felt better he started working out to rejoin the team. He has felt fine ever since, which means if he wasn't an MLB player who got all the medical test bells and whistles to clear him to play, he wouldn't have known he now has a chronic heart condition. If he was just Eddie Rodriguez the accountant, he would think he was back to normal. He'd probably have an irregular heart beat every once and awhile, but might not seek medical treatment for it until he had chest pain or even a stroke caused by it some day. Heck, depending on where in the US he lived, he might not even have been tested for covid in the first place.

The data we currently have is incomplete. Drawing conclusions based solely on this data and not considering what actual experts in contagious disease infer from other viruses (not FB experts or ophthalmologists with a you tube channel or doc-in-a-box chain owners) is misguided IMHO. Not erring on the side of caution when long term complications are still an unknown quantity makes no sense to me.

Are you suggesting accountants don't pay attention to our health?!

Just kidding... I understand your point.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There are starting to be some (big) groups of Covid survivors who are experiencing continuing serious problems of one sort or another. Now, I know that ranks of such a group are at risk of swelling from some people who are more hypochondriacal than profoundly physically affected, but it's interesting and telling that this is an emerging phenomenon. Some of the groups are working to foster research on the subject, which should be more useful than the anecdotes, in the long run.

This is one example of reporting on this:

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/09/10/covid-19-survivor-corps

Plus many had comorbidity issues before Covid. Is the Covid causing the problem or something they already had manifesting itself? Just another factor to try and adjust for.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There are starting to be some (big) groups of Covid survivors who are experiencing continuing serious problems of one sort or another. Now, I know that ranks of such a group are at risk of swelling from some people who are more hypochondriacal than profoundly physically affected, but it's interesting and telling that this is an emerging phenomenon. Some of the groups are working to foster research on the subject, which should be more useful than the anecdotes, in the long run.

This is one example of reporting on this:

https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2020/09/10/covid-19-survivor-corps

Plus many had comorbidity issues before Covid. Is the Covid causing the problem or something they already had manifesting itself? Just another factor to try and adjust for.

Yes, good point. Lots of factors, complicated. I'm hopeful that these groups organizing will not only provide some emotional/practical support for the folks involved, but also make it easier for potential researchers to find research subjects to pursue these questions further.