Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,246 Member
    Options
    Here they’re available anyplace there’s a pharmacy. We got ours at Walgreens. No appointment was necessary, but I did call to check first. Check with your employer, but most health insurance covers it 100%.

I actually got mine at Kroger today! I was picking up my meds and saw the signs. It was free! Just like if i had gotten it through work. So that was awesome. I always have a bit of a reaction to the shot and am already feeling it. I get achy, fatigued, and a bit light headed. Also, my arm hurts haha!

The pharmacist did say they have been super busy with people wanting them and that it was a good idea to get it when you can.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    On the flu shot subject: At rowing today, I was talking about the shots with a rower buddy who's a pharmacist, asking her advice about best timing for me, as a 60-something. She told me that given the coronavirus situation, her (university based) pharmacy is organizing drive-through flu vaccination clinics for their client population and the university community. It will be two weekdays in each of September and October, at a university facility that usually hosts livestock events and the like, so set up for indoor/sheltered drive through. They may add November dates, too, depending on progress & supplies.

Might be worth looking to see if there are similar things going on in your community, if this is of interest to anyone.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I can't vouch for this, but I saw on FB that GoodRx has a coupon for the flu shot. Every little bit helps!

My parents and my brother and his family went to the Outer Banks for the week. Said there was a ton of traffic, which makes me more nervous than I already was for them. They aren't really crowded places people and a lot of touristy stuff is closed, so it's probably not a big deal. It just drives me nuts that my brother and SIL seem to think it's fine for them and my nephews to be seeing my parents on a regular basis. I am only seeing them rarely and keeping my distance as much as they'll let me, because as careful as I am in my own life, nobody's perfect.

I can't believe how many people fell for that cdc report that said 94% of the deaths had comorbidities so it's no big deal. So frustrating!

There's a meme going around from Science Doesn't Care what you Think on FB. It's hysterical. It says that only 1% of those killed by dinosaurs was actually only killed by dinosaurs (those eaten totally in one bite). Most died along with detached heads and total loss of bodily fluids, so reopen the park!!

But you are right. That 94% thing did exactly what it was intended to do -- tell everyone that even leaned a little bit in that direction that it was all some hoax all along. We will have herd immunity and 500K dead before we have a vaccine, unfortunately.

@MikePfirrman

I google imaged but could not find this. If you can, would you please post it on the meme thread?

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10789131/coronavirus-memes/

ETA: nvm, I found it on FB and posted it :)
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I can't vouch for this, but I saw on FB that GoodRx has a coupon for the flu shot. Every little bit helps!

My parents and my brother and his family went to the Outer Banks for the week. Said there was a ton of traffic, which makes me more nervous than I already was for them. They aren't really crowded places people and a lot of touristy stuff is closed, so it's probably not a big deal. It just drives me nuts that my brother and SIL seem to think it's fine for them and my nephews to be seeing my parents on a regular basis. I am only seeing them rarely and keeping my distance as much as they'll let me, because as careful as I am in my own life, nobody's perfect.

I can't believe how many people fell for that cdc report that said 94% of the deaths had comorbidities so it's no big deal. So frustrating!

There's a meme going around from Science Doesn't Care what you Think on FB. It's hysterical. It says that only 1% of those killed by dinosaurs was actually only killed by dinosaurs (those eaten totally in one bite). Most died along with detached heads and total loss of bodily fluids, so reopen the park!!

But you are right. That 94% thing did exactly what it was intended to do -- tell everyone that even leaned a little bit in that direction that it was all some hoax all along. We will have herd immunity and 500K dead before we have a vaccine, unfortunately.

Given the lack of evidence that having covid-19 confers lasting immunity, and the fact that humans have never achieved herd immunity to the coronaviruses responsible for some "common colds," I'm not sure I have a lot of optimism about ever achieving herd immunity for covid-19.

You might be right Lynn, but this article is related to what I was talking about with the T Cells. I'm hoping that this is accurate and, at least to me, it's one of the most optimistic things I've read about Covid-19.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article245092810.html?ocid=uxbndlbing
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'd heard/read that about vaccines, too: That a vaccine can create stronger or longer immunity in some cases than simply having the disease does. Good point about tetanus. There's so much we don't know about Covid-19 yet!

I dont think this is the norm though - and tetanus is a bit of an anomaly and also isnt an infectious disease - as in one person doesnt spread it to another like most vaccine preventable diseases.

Mostly immunity from vaccine and immunity from that disease are roughly equal

Measles, mumps, rubella, chicken pox - both disease and vaccine usually confer lifelong immunity

Whooping cough - both disease and vaccine confer immunity of around 7 - 10 years.

some common examples.

I think it more likely Covid will be an ongoing vaccine that one has to repeat - more like annual flu vaccine than one off courses like MMR.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

Given the lack of evidence that having covid-19 confers lasting immunity, and the fact that humans have never achieved herd immunity to the coronaviruses responsible for some "common colds," I'm not sure I have a lot of optimism about ever achieving herd immunity for covid-19.

You might be right Lynn, but this article is related to what I was talking about with the T Cells. I'm hoping that this is accurate and, at least to me, it's one of the most optimistic things I've read about Covid-19.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/coronavirus/article245092810.html?ocid=uxbndlbing

Thanks for the link.

ETA: I hope I'm wrong, to the extent that it even makes sense to talk about being right or wrong about a pessimistic outlook on a subject that I think every rational person would agree we don't have enough info to make predictions. Just noting certain facts that don't encourage me to expect human populations will develop herd immunity through virus exposure before there's a vaccine.