Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,800 Member
    Options
    Oh my! Can you imagine having the FLU and COVID19 at the same time? YIKES... I had the flu in 2018 Jan and it knocked me for a loop. Have gotten 2 flu shots at work each year since with not even a pinch. Now do NOT ask me about the series of Shingles shots. If you have not gotten them yet you are in for a lovely lovely time. Hint: they BURN just going in..... But again. Better than shingles for sure for sure for sure!!!!
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Oh my! Can you imagine having the FLU and COVID19 at the same time? YIKES... I had the flu in 2018 Jan and it knocked me for a loop. Have gotten 2 flu shots at work each year since with not even a pinch. Now do NOT ask me about the series of Shingles shots. If you have not gotten them yet you are in for a lovely lovely time. Hint: they BURN just going in..... But again. Better than shingles for sure for sure for sure!!!!

Back in 2009/2010 when swine flu was a thing, a friend got the flu first, then right after getting better from that, got the swine flu vaccine. She got really bad side effects from it and it ended up feeling like having a bad flu for a couple of weeks. Then, since it took a few weeks for the vaccine immunity to fully form, she also got the actual swine flu before getting immunity, so she got three different flus or flu-like sicknesses in a row that all lasted a couple of weeks. She was a high school senior when this happened, too.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options

Must be individual reaction. I had the first shingles shot, no big deal at all.

Did it burn a bit at first, maybe but nothing that I would be thinking about more than 30 minutes later.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Heard the new projections this morning that now most models are saying over 400K dead by the first of the year. Honestly, that sounds about right. That's why I said it wouldn't surprise me if we reached Herd Immunity before we had a vaccine proven to work. I can't see 1M dying, but I can certainly see the Fall/Winter being God awful and then tapering away into Spring as life slowly gets back to normal.

Hearing about reinstated lockdowns in college areas all over the US.

@Athijade -- I think you can make appointments at most Walgreens to get the flu vaccine.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    We got ours at the grocery pharmacy where I get medicine. They even have "drive up" shots during certain times. Not sure how they do that, tho, we went inside.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Heard the new projections this morning that now most models are saying over 400K dead by the first of the year. Honestly, that sounds about right. That's why I said it wouldn't surprise me if we reached Herd Immunity before we had a vaccine proven to work. I can't see 1M dying, but I can certainly see the Fall/Winter being God awful and then tapering away into Spring as life slowly gets back to normal.

Hearing about reinstated lockdowns in college areas all over the US.

@Athijade -- I think you can make appointments at most Walgreens to get the flu vaccine.

Our college town has put in some emergency home rule orders regarding limiting gatherings etc but the school has over 20% positive rate and in the top 10 for number of cases so horse has already left the barn.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Russian vaccine update: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/health/russia-vaccine-immune-response-intl/index.html

Sounds like side effects are problematic, not sure I would get this vaccine since it sounds like it is basically the same as getting the virus.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I would think that if people are following safe Covid practices - hand-washing, masks, distance, isolation of the vulnerable, the flu season could be pretty mild.

This is what I’ve been hoping for too. I’m not too worried about the flu itself from either personal or company (HR) perspective other than knowing it sucks and I hope nobody gets it. The extra thing this year is that since all flu symptoms have to be considered potential covid cases, the strain of testing, quarantining and stressing about it all will be immense on all levels: individual, household, healthcare system. The company (my employer) would be affected too, since covid testing costs money, sick leaves cost money (both salaries and lost revenue), and stressed somewhat sick quarantined remote workers are probably not as happy and productive as healthy remote workers.

The company pays for both flu shots and covid testing, and I’m pretty sure the flu shots are cheaper. The fabric masks I bought for all employees might be the best investment of company money I’ve made all year.

ETA: getting the flu shot is voluntary, even though the company pays for it. It’s a perk. Same with the masks.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

I typically have bad reactions to vaccinations so I avoid them but I begged for the shingles vaccine back when it was a single shot (and now I hear it wasn't as effective) because my mum and a coworker both had nightmare shingles. I ended up with a lump roughly the size and texture of a hockey puck in my arm at the injection site that lasted a week, and several days of random sudden-onset vomiting. Not sure I'd want to do a series.

To add insult to injury, my drug plan covers the vaccination itself but not the cost of administering it, so I have to pay $20 to get it injected.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    This is the latest in flu vaccines. And I was also told by my doctor to wait until the end of September or early October to get it so the immunity last longer. The flu season usually picks up after the first of the year (2021 in this case)

1) High-dose flu vaccine: four more the antigen specificity that the standard flu vaccine: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/qa_fluzone.htm

2) Flu vaccine with adjuvant or FLUAD: https://www.cdc.gov/flu/prevent/adjuvant.htm. This last one is highly recommend for adults over 65 .

This from Dr. Sanjay Gupta

Why it's more important than ever to get a flu shot

The first shipments of this year’s flu vaccine are going out -- and it's more important than ever that you get a flu shot this flu season. Public health experts are concerned that this year’s flu season will coincide with an increase in Covid-19 infections -- and that could mean added stress to our hospital systems.

Getting a flu shot can help you either avoid the flu, or at least lessen the severity of your flu symptoms. Also, because symptoms of the flu such as fever, cough or fatigue can be mistaken for Covid-19, getting a flu shot can potentially help rule out influenza if you do start getting sick.

[snipped for length]

This really doesn't make sense. Since the flu vaccine isn't 100% effective, ruling out influenza in patients with flu symptoms just because they have been vaccinated doesn't seem like a good idea, anymore than the ruling out of covid in patients without a known covid contact back in the early spring was a good idea.

FYI any patient that goes to the hospital with COVID-19 symptoms also get tested for the flu, at least in most hospital if they follow protocol.

[snip the parts I'm not responding to]

As I said, it was not a good idea that early in the spring patients with covid symptoms who had not traveled and who had no known covid contacts were not tested for covid -- including some who had negative tests for influenza and other common respiratory diseases. Referring to the current protocol (protocols have changed multiple times) has no relevance to my statement.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Russian vaccine update: https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/04/health/russia-vaccine-immune-response-intl/index.html

Sounds like side effects are problematic, not sure I would get this vaccine since it sounds like it is basically the same as getting the virus.

Well, except for the whole being on a ventilator, dying, permanently altered sense of smell and taste, myocarditis in more than a third of previously healthy athletes who had mild cases, yes it’s just like the virus! Seriously, a little fever and some body aches are a good trade off for people like you and me who have a substantial risk of dying.

The thing I’m concerned about is that in the case of reinfection with a different strain, certain viruses like dengue fever cause a worse infection in vaccinated people than if you hadn’t been vaccinated at all. Also, Covid seems to cause long term brain injury due to inflammation, sometimes even in very mild cases - will the vaccine end up causing the same long term problems? There are unfortunately good reasons it takes years to bring a vaccine to market normally.

This is based on a sample group if 76. It would be pretty easy to find a group of 76 healthy people who got Covid and experienced the same symptoms. A larger sample group may just as easily had some healthy people die.

ETA: Unhealthy people like me may experience the same risk of severe illness as the virus.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

I typically have bad reactions to vaccinations so I avoid them but I begged for the shingles vaccine back when it was a single shot (and now I hear it wasn't as effective) because my mum and a coworker both had nightmare shingles. I ended up with a lump roughly the size and texture of a hockey puck in my arm at the injection site that lasted a week, and several days of random sudden-onset vomiting. Not sure I'd want to do a series.

To add insult to injury, my drug plan covers the vaccination itself but not the cost of administering it, so I have to pay $20 to get it injected.

Not much of an insult. We are on a high deductible plan, the shingles shot was $190.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    ythannah wrote: »

Not much of an insult. We are on a high deductible plan, the shingles shot was $190.

Whoa! You win.