Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Just breaking -- Pfizer announces they are 100% effective for kids 12 to 15. That's awesome.

I got Pfizer last Friday (first shot). My next shot was scheduled 3 weeks later.

That's great, but 100% effective? Have never heard of a vaccine with that level of protection.

That's what they are claiming. They say it's 90% for adults, so with kids' natural immunity, I don't see that as a huge stretch. Perhaps it's like 99.8% and they are rounding up. I'm sure you'll hear more details later on it as they come out. I'm also not aware of how many were in the study. I would guess it has to be larger numbers.

Found a bit more details on it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-is-100-effective-in-12-to-15-year-olds-2021-3

Looks like it's pretty good. This is from the article

Pfizer tested the vaccine in about 2,000 adolescents
    The companies tested the vaccine about 2,000 peoples ages 12 to 15. Half of them received two doses of the vaccine and half received two placebo injections.

None of the kids who got the vaccine came down with COVID-19, while 18 cases were reported in the group that got a placebo shot. The companies touted this result as 100% efficacy.

Sounds like none of the kids got sick right after the shot. Doesn't really address what happens a few months down the road. I can't see them claiming 100% effective since when the one oddball kid gets a severe case of Covid they will be looking at a large lawsuit IMO, even if in fact the shot is very good.
  • gesundundmunter
    gesundundmunter Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    3 weeks away?

that is interesting

AZ: we were told 12 weeks between doses.

I believe the protocol for Pfizer is three weeks between doses (at least in Australia, don't know about anywhere else).

Yes, Pfizer is three weeks in between doses (in the US).
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    3 weeks away?

that is interesting

I believe the protocol for Pfizer is three weeks between doses (at least in Australia, don't know about anywhere else).

That's what it is here (US) too, at least where I live. I managed to get shot one and there's 3 weeks between. [Edit, I see lots of others responded already!]
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I mentioned yesterday that my daughter woke up with a sore throat and runny nose. She tested yesterday. She called me at 8 am today to let me know her test was positive. She visited us Saturday and had no symptoms. We went in for tests at noon today. The National Guard was administering the tests at the site we went to. Very well organized and moved quickly.
    We’re scheduled for our second Moderna shot 4/8. Hopefully we’ll have negative results.

Please be careful everyone. My daughter has been very diligent about following all guidelines during this past year. Her company has had most employees working from home for about 5-6 years. She has very little outside contact, besides visiting us, and grocery shopping.

Wishing her a full and speedy recovery! 💖I have definitely seen cases where precautions were taken and community spread still happened.

And that was before the more transmissible strains were identified.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Got my first Pfizer shot a week ago. My county opened it up to all adults last week—there were still plenty of spots left after being in phase 2 something, so happy they did that. Went through the county system—drive through appt, in and out (including 15 min wait period) in 35 minutes.

Sore arm for a day, but I did have swollen and painful occipital and periauricular lymph nodes, mostly in the opposite side from vaccinated arm. The day after shot I thought I had slept in my earbuds and maybe weirdly on my neck, then day 2 post vaccine I was wondering what in the world I had done to myself because neck hurt so badly. Massaging what I thought were tight muscles, noticed a couple lumps. Physician husband confirmed lymph nodes. So hopefully that means my body is working hard right now! A week later, still swollen and painful but significantly improved. Other than that no symptoms.

Happy TN opened things up , somewhat annoyed my parents (late 70s, multiple underlying conditions—diabetes, heart disease, lupus) are getting their second shot today in SC. So they were only two weeks ahead of me, which is crazy.

Sorry, off topic, but you mentioned your sore arm. I glanced at the arm in your profile pic. You have awesome arms. Just sayin'. B)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    3 weeks away?

that is interesting

Yes, Pfizer is three weeks in between doses (in the US).

It’s the minimum—Modern is four weeks (previously stated by someone) however the shots won’t be less effective (based on what we know now) if the second is administered father apart.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    In PA the Governor has announced that they are going to allow all the 1B and 1C to start registering in the next two weeks (frontline workers like police, fire, grocery store etc.) and then they will open it up to everyone. Since it's taken 3.5 months just to get the old and ill vaccinated, and they haven't finished with that group yet, opening it up to the other 2/3 of the population at once will be insanity. Still, as one of the few states that hadn't opened up vaccinations since they started in December, a lot of people were starting to get upset. I don't think they'll be any less upset when they realize that they can't get an actual appointment until July, if they can get through at all.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    Saw this today.

The Pandemic Has Sparked a Mass Mental Health Crisis Among College Students and Young Adults https://www.nbclosangeles.com/lx/the-pandemic-has-sparked-a-mass-mental-health-crisis-among-college-students-and-young-adults/2562973/

Speaking for my students, it’s less the isolation than the impact of the pandemic, illness/death of family and friends, loss of jobs, loss of housing, if they still have a place to live, other homeless relatives moving in.

During the pandemic home prices have skyrocketed here (greater Toronto area). I mean the cost of housing was ridiculous before, but I guess with everyone working from home there has been a push out of the city, and homes even 2+ hours from Toronto, in towns no one would have ever considered before, are having bidding wars on them. It's insane.

The house across the street from me listed last week for $1M - and I guess they didn't get the bidding war they wanted on it so they relisted for $1.1M. Like this is a very average subdivision house 30 minutes outside of Toronto's suburbs that would have maybe sold for $800,000 in 2019.

I have three grown kids, two of whom do not own their own homes yet, and looks like they never will at this rate. That is pretty depressing too.:(

Hearing things like this makes me extra happy that we bought our apartment from a new development in 2019, before all of this, and then sat semi-comfortably in our cheap rented apartment until last December when we moved. I’m also really happy we were able to help my sister’s boyfriend’s sister and her family, who desperately needed a cheap rental apartment and they got ours based on our recommendation to our landlady.

Here the housing market is split in two. Prices of downtown rentals have actually gone down, for two main reasons: people who can are moving to the suburbs and countryside where there’s more space, and students are staying with their parents instead of moving to the city because their studies are remote (we don’t really have ”campus areas” with housing here, and the University of Helsinki has several campuses sprinkled across town). Buying prices, especially for family homes, have gone up both in suburbs and even in more remote areas ~2 hours around Helsinki, as people want more space, their own yards, and are realizing they are unlikely to return to 100% in-office work.