Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and understanding.

I was across the street from a Kroger yesterday (went to Dollar Tree for Halloween stuff lol) so I picked up some of the "cream of..." soups I can eat. They were a decent price too so I was happy. Got 3 of each, so 6 totals. Next weekend I will add some broths to my list and maybe one more bag of Jasmine rice. I don't have space for the super big bags from like Costco, but Aldi has good sized bags for a decent price. I eat a LOT of rice as I eat a lot of Asian based recipes.

As for Clorox style products... I have a couple things of wipes and 2 bottles of spray. I also have hand sanitizer, though I may pick up another bottle. Oh, and Costco had all of those things in spades Friday so if you have a membership, you may want to try there. Got some disposable masks to just have on hand. Going to put some in a baggie to keep a few in the car just in case I forget my reusable ones.

On the upside, being stuck at home so much has gotten me off my butt and cleaning/organizing. I'm working at home so I normally only go our 1-2 times a week. Thus my home environment is a lot more important to me. So I have gotten some projects done that I have been putting off. It's been awesome.

this raises an issue I've begun thinking about: Halloween.

For those of you who typically hand out treats, what are you planning to do this year? I don't have much hope that we'll be back to normal, covid-wise by then, and I have a sad cynicism that the folks most likely to let their kids knock on strangers' doors in this situation are the people most likely to have a much looser social-distancing standard than I have adopted.

I'm not feeling super comfortable about opening my door to 50 people shouting Trick or Treat and expelling droplets 2 feet from my face (well, to be fair, in recent years about a quarter of the kids just stick their bags or plastic jack o'lanterns out and don't say anything, which seems less fun to me -- I always enjoyed the hollow pretense as a child that there would.be reprisals if no treat was forthcoming).

We live in the country, so we don’t get many trick or treaters anyway. I would like to think common sense will prevail, and people won’t risk it. Maybe virtual get togethers with friends and family will take place instead.
    💀🎃👻
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    So oddly enough I don't normally watch network TV that much but I had recorded a series starting in early March thru April/May. It's amazing to see how the commercials change thru that time period. So much that I am almost watching the episodes just to see the commercials instead of the show. B)

At work we had manager zoom training the other day about Covid and guidelines. All I could think of the entire time we were having the training was that in a year from now will any of the training have been valid? Mostly things like when are you contagious and how long to isolate etc.

One thing is for certain EVERYONE will remember the great toilet paper run for the rest of history.. :D

Why?? I still don't get the big deal about toilet paper.

I never understood why there was such a run on TP either, but the hoarding resulted in an outage for about 7 weeks in my area. I almost ran out... if I had run out, I was planning to use paper towels (until those ran out because I couldn't get more of that either) and throw them in the trash so they wouldn't clog the toilet. People who have traveled internationally knows that this is what they do with toilet paper in some places anyway.

And if you ran out of paper towels, use newspaper. But that's not going to work when everyone stops reading the printed ones and go totally online for news.
  • mothermoose116
    mothermoose116 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Re: Halloween 🎃

We currently have no active cases where we are- I have a feeling Halloween will proceed in our town with masking as long as things don't go poorly with back to school. I will probably leave a bowl on my steps with pre-packed small bags and a take 1 sign while I take the kids and make sure they are able to do it safely.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Re: Halloween
    We used to get a lot of kids, then the churches and schools started having parties and Trunk and Treat events on Halloween so only a few of the nearby kids would stop in. I assume the church and school parties will not be held this year so we may actually get more kids.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,935 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

The shortages are not due to people buying wipes entirely, the material used is also used for PPE - so there is a manufacturing shortage.

Ah, that makes sense. Everything else is in pretty much normal supply here [Canada] except wipes. I've always preferred them for quick small clean-ups because of the dogs, as I once had a puppy decide to lick a disinfectant I'd sprayed before I had a chance to wipe it up and I never want one of my animals to ingest a toxic substance again. Anyway, I had a few tubs on hand and I've been rationing them since I haven't been able to replace them since March.

My father doesn't like colas and drinks only diet pop, and I've been unable to find anything other than diet Coke or Pepsi for about the past month. Turns out there is also a shortage of both artificial sweeteners and aluminum for cans so manufacturers have been focusing on producing their most popular flavours. So now my poor father not only doesn't leave the house, he doesn't have pop to drink.

We assumed this was why my OH's caffeine-free Coke had disappeared - thanks for confirming :)
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Had a lady at church that picked up a 4 pack of Lysol spray for me <3 She would call every morning to ask if they had gotten any in. I only use it when people are actively sick and had just a small amount left after their crazy illness run in February/March, didn’t think to restock until chaos broke out and it was too late. I use Lysol wipes on and around the toilet, but am going to switch to the enzyme bathroom cleaner I used years ago - I have two boys and the kids bathroom has a permanent pee smell. Bought a new toilet seat today, that should help, hoping the enzyme cleaner will nip what’s left.

Thanks to this thread just had the thought to restock on the one all-purpose cleaner we use on a daily basis. I bought bulk Biokleen concentrate probably 10+ years ago and it would be my luck to finally run out this winter :lol: the spray bottle conversation triggered the thought because my daughter actually dropped and cracked the one bottle we have (also 10+ years old!) sooooo $80 just spent on Amazon! But it will last us a LONG time.

Is it BioKleen you use around the toilet? I have 4 boys 10 & under, and even w replacing all the toilet seats and cleaning under all the hardware everything still smells. Ugh. I have some BioKleen spray and the stuff I throw in the laundry w sweaty soccer stuff (used to use it w cloth diaper wash), so maybe there’s hope.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Re: Halloween. Most local parents stopped going door to door years ago. Instead they go to the zoo, mall and nursing homes. I hope the latter will be off limits now.

About shortages, has anyone seen lite versions of margarine or is it a local shortage for my area?
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

The shortages are not due to people buying wipes entirely, the material used is also used for PPE - so there is a manufacturing shortage.

Ah, that makes sense. Everything else is in pretty much normal supply here [Canada] except wipes. I've always preferred them for quick small clean-ups because of the dogs, as I once had a puppy decide to lick a disinfectant I'd sprayed before I had a chance to wipe it up and I never want one of my animals to ingest a toxic substance again. Anyway, I had a few tubs on hand and I've been rationing them since I haven't been able to replace them since March.

My father doesn't like colas and drinks only diet pop, and I've been unable to find anything other than diet Coke or Pepsi for about the past month. Turns out there is also a shortage of both artificial sweeteners and aluminum for cans so manufacturers have been focusing on producing their most popular flavours. So now my poor father not only doesn't leave the house, he doesn't have pop to drink.

We assumed this was why my OH's caffeine-free Coke had disappeared - thanks for confirming :)

Ah, now it all makes sense.

Now, who are you MONSTERS who are not adequately supporting Cherry Coke Zero, clearly the superior cola choice?

Does this mean I have to stop being mad at my Costco for not having Coke Zero for like, WEEKS now? In fact, the only Coke or Pepsi products mine has had are Mexican Coke in glass bottles and Diet Coke in 3-liter bottles. No cans. They have RC products in cans (gross).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Now, who are you MONSTERS who are not adequately supporting Cherry Coke Zero, clearly the superior cola choice?

Does this mean I have to stop being mad at my Costco for not having Coke Zero for like, WEEKS now? In fact, the only Coke or Pepsi products mine has had are Mexican Coke in glass bottles and Diet Coke in 3-liter bottles. No cans. They have RC products in cans (gross).

Proving once and for all that nobody wants RC.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I'd miss Fresca this much. None to be found in any form factor. Sprite Zero in bottles can be found from time to time. Not the same. But something.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,465 Member
    Options
    Had a lady at church that picked up a 4 pack of Lysol spray for me <3 She would call every morning to ask if they had gotten any in. I only use it when people are actively sick and had just a small amount left after their crazy illness run in February/March, didn’t think to restock until chaos broke out and it was too late. I use Lysol wipes on and around the toilet, but am going to switch to the enzyme bathroom cleaner I used years ago - I have two boys and the kids bathroom has a permanent pee smell. Bought a new toilet seat today, that should help, hoping the enzyme cleaner will nip what’s left.

Thanks to this thread just had the thought to restock on the one all-purpose cleaner we use on a daily basis. I bought bulk Biokleen concentrate probably 10+ years ago and it would be my luck to finally run out this winter :lol: the spray bottle conversation triggered the thought because my daughter actually dropped and cracked the one bottle we have (also 10+ years old!) sooooo $80 just spent on Amazon! But it will last us a LONG time.

Is it BioKleen you use around the toilet? I have 4 boys 10 & under, and even w replacing all the toilet seats and cleaning under all the hardware everything still smells. Ugh. I have some BioKleen spray and the stuff I throw in the laundry w sweaty soccer stuff (used to use it w cloth diaper wash), so maybe there’s hope.

Rip out the toilets and install elongated ones. Game changer.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options

If you have an Aldi in your market try their house brand diet soda "Summit". I think it tastes like Coke Zero. Honestly, I can't really tell the difference between Zero and Diet, so grains of salt might be in order.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    Re: Halloween. Most local parents stopped going door to door years ago. Instead they go to the zoo, mall and nursing homes. I hope the latter will be off limits now.

About shortages, has anyone seen lite versions of margarine or is it a local shortage for my area?

I read an article that said shortages of all kinds of groceries were more than twice as likely as this time last year. We haven’t been able to get unsalted butter or diet rite soda for my mom, and perplexingly they have been out of the exact cereal which is the only one my husband likes for months now. And klaussen’s kosher pickles.

At least now I understand what is up with the diet rite. She also drinks gold peak tea, which comes and goes.

re: Fresca. I hate Fresca worse than anything because my mom used to make me drink it when I was sick as a child. I have no idea what her reasoning was... I guess I didn’t drink enough water for her concerns, and she didn’t want me having stuff with caffeine? But even the sight of the label makes me feel sick today.