Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 3,027 Member
    On the topic of electric cars, due to the time required to charge a vehicle, I can’t comprehend how charging would be handled for residents of large apartment/condo buildings.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited September 2021
    COGypsy wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Not everyone uses the media. I informed someone about to take a longer road trip that there were pressures on the fuel system caused by a shortage of drivers not poor fuel levels and he had not heard. People filling up is happening, so petrol stations are out of fuel till their next delivery arrives.

I observed a stream of traffic going to one supermarket yesterday which was out of fuel till they get a delivery. At a service station near a traffic light controlled crossing cars were backing up to the lights and others were trying to cross lanes. Then at the nearest supermarket it was impossible to get into the carpark for food, for the line of vehicles going to the pumps. Its outrageous. Given a week I would hope those who actually use less fuel will not be filling up again leaving more for more responsible persons.

???

In the UK we have a shortage of fuel (petrol/diesel) caused by shortage of long haul lorry drivers. People here are behaving like they did with toilet rolls back at the beginning of the pandemic. Queuing up to squeeze a tiny bit in their tanks to keep them full, causing long tailbacks and blocking roads and entrances. Luckily I already filled up last week and if I’m careful what I have will last me 2-3 weeks when hopefully people have calmed down.

Time for electric cars!

Just charge them up at home.

I've been driving electric for two years now. I don't miss the gas station stops in the freezing cold, or everytime I'm already late. lol

The US doesn't have the raw materials needed for batteries. Also poor chip supplies. Electric cars use 10X the number of chips conventional vehicles do.

Electric vehicles are a novelty unit these issues are addressed.

And infrastructure. The only charging station I've ever seen in my life is at my doctor's office. I live in an old neighborhood near downtown in a pretty large city. Whether you're in a house or an apartment, it's not likely you have a garage to put a charging outlet in. I can't think of anyone I know in the neighborhood that even has a garage, much less one you could park a modern car in. It's all street parking and you'd need one heck of an extension cord to charge a car! Electric cars are intriguing, but not enough to banish myself to outer suburbia where I'd have the space to plug it in :D

There's a surprising amount in the US: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30031153/ev-charging-guide/

Apparently as of March 2020, there were 1,645 in the Chicago metro area (where I live), and there are more now. I figured there had to be plenty although I haven't personally noticed them, since I see plenty of electric cars. We are only the 5th ranked metro area in number of chargers.
  • lemurcat2
    edited September 2021
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Not everyone uses the media. I informed someone about to take a longer road trip that there were pressures on the fuel system caused by a shortage of drivers not poor fuel levels and he had not heard. People filling up is happening, so petrol stations are out of fuel till their next delivery arrives.

I observed a stream of traffic going to one supermarket yesterday which was out of fuel till they get a delivery. At a service station near a traffic light controlled crossing cars were backing up to the lights and others were trying to cross lanes. Then at the nearest supermarket it was impossible to get into the carpark for food, for the line of vehicles going to the pumps. Its outrageous. Given a week I would hope those who actually use less fuel will not be filling up again leaving more for more responsible persons.

???

In the UK we have a shortage of fuel (petrol/diesel) caused by shortage of long haul lorry drivers. People here are behaving like they did with toilet rolls back at the beginning of the pandemic. Queuing up to squeeze a tiny bit in their tanks to keep them full, causing long tailbacks and blocking roads and entrances. Luckily I already filled up last week and if I’m careful what I have will last me 2-3 weeks when hopefully people have calmed down.

Time for electric cars!

I've been driving electric for two years now. I don't miss the gas station stops in the freezing cold, or everytime I'm already late. lol

The US doesn't have the raw materials needed for batteries. Also poor chip supplies. Electric cars use 10X the number of chips conventional vehicles do.

And infrastructure. The only charging station I've ever seen in my life is at my doctor's office. I live in an old neighborhood near downtown in a pretty large city. Whether you're in a house or an apartment, it's not likely you have a garage to put a charging outlet in. I can't think of anyone I know in the neighborhood that even has a garage, much less one you could park a modern car in. It's all street parking and you'd need one heck of an extension cord to charge a car! Electric cars are intriguing, but not enough to banish myself to outer suburbia where I'd have the space to plug it in :D

Last week, I noticed a charging station for the first time in our soon to be new town. My partner said there is also a station at the hospital in our soon to be old city.

I googled "charging stations near me" and see there are actually a lot - I'd just never noticed.

I don't know how this work - do you have to leave your car on the charger for hours? I guess the hospital is a good location for this. Maybe they should put them at libraries.

Apparently the fast chargers will charge to 80% in 30 minutes. Most people do it at home, however -- the site I linked above says 80% of charging is at home and a decent amount is at work.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,485 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

???

Time for electric cars!

There's a surprising amount in the US: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30031153/ev-charging-guide/

Apparently as of March 2020, there were 1,645 in the Chicago metro area (where I live), and there are more now. I figured there had to be plenty although I haven't personally noticed them, since I see plenty of electric cars. We are only the 5th ranked metro area in number of chargers.

There are 1.7M vehicles registered in Cook County, which isn't all of the Chicago metro area. There is a lot of expensive work needed be for EVs could even be a consideration for a small part of the registered vehicles.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

???

Time for electric cars!

There are 1.7M vehicles registered in Cook County, which isn't all of the Chicago metro area. There is a lot of expensive work needed be for EVs could even be a consideration for a small part of the registered vehicles.

But EVs already are a small part of the registered vehicles. I see them all the time. I'm not expecting everyone to switch out their existing cars for an EV. (I don't currently have any desire for an EV, as I don't drive that much and am perfectly happy with my hybrid.)

The point is that there are lots of charging stations already, so someone who gets one is likely (at least in a number of areas) to be near more than they realize. I haven't sought them out, but they are in existence near me, although I'd not bothered to look around to find one, so hadn't realized until I looked them up.

Also, a large number of vehicles registered in Cook County (not to mention non Cook parts of Chicago metro) are going to belong to people with garages (I live in Chicago proper and have a garage), and the charging stations seem to be important for those who have EVs and nowhere at home to charge them). Like I noted before, approximately 80% of charging is at home.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited September 2021
    Paywall
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited October 2021
    https://youtu.be/_ItkYhFiGBI. As they say time changes all things. It seems like reality is starting to sink into the world's mind how lockdowns are hurting the poor and children the most while none of the vaccines have a long-term pandemic stopping effect and most of the world is not going to be vaccinated. We had to give vaccines a shot. They saved many as we learned better how to treat/live with it.