Coronavirus prep

Replies

• MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,116 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    I personally know no one in my life who has died from covid.

I have personal connections to two people who died from the covid vaccine.

Please be respectful of this when pushing the vaccine or denigrating those who choose not to take it.

The thing is, I don’t believe you, because so few people around the world have died following the vaccine that for a single person to know two of them is astronomically unlikely.

Exactly!

Not comfortable with calling each other liars here. We may have differing opinions, but I go in with the premise that, especially when people are making personal statements, they are telling the truth.

Spokesperson for the CDC stated just a week ago, "To date, CDC has not detected any unusual or unexpected patterns for deaths following immunization that would indicate that COVID vaccines are causing or contributing to deaths, outside of the 3 confirmed deaths following the Janssen vaccine."

For the poster to have known 2 of the 3 people who have died in the US from getting the vaccine seems like a stretch to me. I'm going to have to differ in opinion on this.

The poster who is claiming they know 2 people who have died from the COVID vaccine may be relying on VAERS, which is notoriously bad. As in claiming someone who dies in an auto accident a day or two after getting a vaccine is a vaccine related death.

Dying in an auto accident after getting a vaccine is tragic. But it’s not a result of the vaccine.

Coming back to this comment because I just got home from an appointment with a naturopathic doctor. She asked if I have been vaccinated. When I said yes she was relieved because she has to work very hard to convince many of her patients that vaccines are OK.

She’s up to date on the actual science, and is extremely frustrated with people who are refusing to get vaccinated.

And if a kitten NATUROPATHIC doctor is saying the COVID vaccines are safe?
    Seriously. Game. Set. Match.
    Get your jab.

Naturopaths spend their time telling their patients they don't need drugs. Not surprising their patients balk at taking drugs.

Exactly the opposite of my point.

The naturopath was saying get the vaccine.
    That was my point.

I'm not sure, but it's possible the poster meant that naturopaths are always telling people about natural remedies...no drugs...so they shouldn't be surprised if their patients are wary of the recommendation. She's set people up to believe this way, and now she's "frustrated"?

I’m the poster.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,366 Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Not sure if this link will work or not, but here's to trying:
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.09.13.21262182v2

This is why over emphasizing preprints is dangerous. This Canadian study that claimed a 1 in 1000 rate of myocarditis from mRNA vaccines has been latched onto by anti vaxx propaganda. It was just withdrawn because it cited at the time that 32,000 doses had been given in the study area, when it was actually 800,000. The error was caught in open peer review. One heckuva math error which makes you wonder what else they missed.

They must have dug pretty deep to find that study... I'm in Canada and hadn't heard a peep about it. But, sadly, it's unlikely that the anti-vax contingent will broadcast a retraction.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,427 Member
    edited September 2021
    I personally know no one in my life who has died from covid.

I have personal connections to two people who died from the covid vaccine.

Please be respectful of this when pushing the vaccine or denigrating those who choose not to take it.

The thing is, I don’t believe you, because so few people around the world have died following the vaccine that for a single person to know two of them is astronomically unlikely.

Exactly!

Not comfortable with calling each other liars here. We may have differing opinions, but I go in with the premise that, especially when people are making personal statements, they are telling the truth.

Spokesperson for the CDC stated just a week ago, "To date, CDC has not detected any unusual or unexpected patterns for deaths following immunization that would indicate that COVID vaccines are causing or contributing to deaths, outside of the 3 confirmed deaths following the Janssen vaccine."

For the poster to have known 2 of the 3 people who have died in the US from getting the vaccine seems like a stretch to me. I'm going to have to differ in opinion on this.

The poster who is claiming they know 2 people who have died from the COVID vaccine may be relying on VAERS, which is notoriously bad. As in claiming someone who dies in an auto accident a day or two after getting a vaccine is a vaccine related death.

Dying in an auto accident after getting a vaccine is tragic. But it’s not a result of the vaccine.

Coming back to this comment because I just got home from an appointment with a naturopathic doctor. She asked if I have been vaccinated. When I said yes she was relieved because she has to work very hard to convince many of her patients that vaccines are OK.

She’s up to date on the actual science, and is extremely frustrated with people who are refusing to get vaccinated.

And if a kitten NATUROPATHIC doctor is saying the COVID vaccines are safe?
    Seriously. Game. Set. Match.
    Get your jab.

Naturopaths spend their time telling their patients they don't need drugs. Not surprising their patients balk at taking drugs.

Exactly the opposite of my point.

The naturopath was saying get the vaccine.
    That was my point.

Understand but the naturopath had been telling them for years to avoid drugs. The patients probably had a trust issue when all of a sudden same person telling them drugs are good.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    mockchoc wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Having a copy on line does not help those without computers............

85% of Americans own a smartphone and nearly every U.S. public library offers free access to computers and the Internet.

Guess what. Not all of us are American for one. I know many without smart phones especially older people and for one my parents wouldn't even think about using a computer at a library since they never used one in their whole lives. They have phones but would never use the internet etc on it. Just because you can doesn't mean the rest of the world is up to it.

It would be great if you or someone else they knew would get them up to speed on computers/smartphones.

My 92 year old MIL uses her iPhone like a boss.

I agree but it'll never happen. They are not use to any technology at all and we are thousands of Km's away so can't help anyway. Wonderful you MIL is doing great, so is mine.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,297 Member
    Not everyone uses the media. I informed someone about to take a longer road trip that there were pressures on the fuel system caused by a shortage of drivers not poor fuel levels and he had not heard. People filling up is happening, so petrol stations are out of fuel till their next delivery arrives.

I observed a stream of traffic going to one supermarket yesterday which was out of fuel till they get a delivery. At a service station near a traffic light controlled crossing cars were backing up to the lights and others were trying to cross lanes. Then at the nearest supermarket it was impossible to get into the carpark for food, for the line of vehicles going to the pumps. Its outrageous. Given a week I would hope those who actually use less fuel will not be filling up again leaving more for more responsible persons.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,116 Member
    Not everyone uses the media. I informed someone about to take a longer road trip that there were pressures on the fuel system caused by a shortage of drivers not poor fuel levels and he had not heard. People filling up is happening, so petrol stations are out of fuel till their next delivery arrives.

I observed a stream of traffic going to one supermarket yesterday which was out of fuel till they get a delivery. At a service station near a traffic light controlled crossing cars were backing up to the lights and others were trying to cross lanes. Then at the nearest supermarket it was impossible to get into the carpark for food, for the line of vehicles going to the pumps. Its outrageous. Given a week I would hope those who actually use less fuel will not be filling up again leaving more for more responsible persons.

I get your point about information not always being immediately available for marginalized people. Especially homeless people.

That said, by this point in the pandemic I think even the majority of such people have become aware of most of the information being shared about the vaccines.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member

???
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,747 Member
    So a friend of mine's son went to Hawaii for a party with his friends (he's 30 something) a week or so ago. Almost everyone at the party was vaccinated. He told her his friends who had Pfizer got sick with covid, and everyone who had Moderna did not. I believe he was vaccinated back in March/April time frame with Pfizer. He was ill but did not need to be hospitalized. He did not say anything about unvaccinated kids.

My unscientific personal knowledge about breakthroughs have all been Pfizer, and I was leaning towards that more were vaccinated with it as a reason. Maybe not. So far personal experience I have not heard of a breakthrough on the J&J or Moderna.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    Adding a comment about internet and drug reaction information. It relates to my 84 year old mother. She has been dealing with pain and anxiety issues and her PCP prescribed her a med which is known to help with both. I attended the appointment so am fully aware of discussion. PCP put her on very low initial dose to monitor adverse reactions and see if beneficial. At one month, mom had followup telemedicine, which I attended again. At this time, my mother started talking about all the terrible side effects she read about. PCP asked about how she was feeling and verified no side effects were happening, and only positive improvements were evident. PCP explained this to my mom and pointed out that she was not having adverse affects and that the reason for the initial low dose was so that any adverse effects, if any, would be smaller. Roughly a week ago (almost 3 months on the medication), my mother talked to me again about all the terrible side effects she read about, and how she needs to talk to the doctor about it. I told her that she already had and explained the whole conversation again. As an outsider looking in, her shaking has stopped and her normal personality is returning but all she can think about is the list of possible side effects she read about on the internet.

@SModa61: does this happen to be Cymbalta? I've been prescribed this recently, am waiting for it to arrive in the mail, and meanwhile am wondering about all the side effects I've read about :lol:

I haven't been able to take the last two anti-anxiety meds so my doctor is starting me on a very low dose - 20 mg. And, funny story, my soon to be 84 yo mother has recently been switched to Cymbalta for pain (and depression) and she is getting 30 mg.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    edited September 2021
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    So a friend of mine's son went to Hawaii for a party with his friends (he's 30 something) a week or so ago. Almost everyone at the party was vaccinated. He told her his friends who had Pfizer got sick with covid, and everyone who had Moderna did not. I believe he was vaccinated back in March/April time frame with Pfizer. He was ill but did not need to be hospitalized. He did not say anything about unvaccinated kids.

My unscientific personal knowledge about breakthroughs have all been Pfizer, and I was leaning towards that more were vaccinated with it as a reason. Maybe not. So far personal experience I have not heard of a breakthrough on the J&J or Moderna.

Here's another anecdote - when my partner's brother's 2 year old unvaccinated grandson got everyone sick, between all of them, they had taken all three brands available - Pfizer, J&J and Moderna.

Was anyone hospitalized?

The cases that we have here are mostly Delta, but hospitalizations and intensive care for COVID are way down.