How Has the Coronavirus Affected You?

Options

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    JustSomeEm wrote: »
    Yet another species affected: Been looking at a horse for a couple weeks and we were able to still finalize the sale and pick her up yesterday. Old owner was relieved since her husband just got laid off and her hours were getting cut drastically. I don't want to look at the sale sights and see all the people being forced to sell their horse right now due to the financial impact. I really hope the horse community tries to come together and help each other out and we don't see a big spike in neglect cases, they aren't cheap animals to take care of.
    It’s difficult. A friend gives lessons and boards and she’s had to canceled all lessons and tell owners not to visit. And still find the funds to care for these animals she loves.

Out of curiosity, is she asking owners not to visit so people don't spread the virus to each other or can humans infect animals? Are there any animals with CV?

It’s about human to human spread and it’s mandated by the state.
    akuno9zw397k.jpeg
    Eta: there is some sketchy info about covid-19 in dogs. Very unclear

The meeting I was in yesterday stated that at this point dogs, and other animals, don't appear to contract the virus. However, they may be carriers of it. Dogs have shown to have the virus in their noses, and if they sneeze, could spread it to humans. It was highly suggested that pet owners, dog owners in particular, do not allow their animals to wander or come in proximity to other people. The physical distance rules should apply to them as well.

ugh I have heard there has been an increase of people surrendering their dogs in fear of getting it form them. But, most likely, your dog got it from you so thats an extreme reaction to that news. please dont start dumping your pets people!

If that is actually happening, those people should be barred from ever again being owned by a pet. :rage:

Your dog cannot get Coronavirus

Not everyone is handling this in the most rational manner unfortunately.
  • Wolfy9797
    Wolfy9797 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Prolonged spring break, and yet my social studies teacher still feels the need to catch us up. Got a class notification 6:00 in the morning and the first thing I thought was what do you do with your life? Come ON
    😑😑
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Some abandoned if they had children or elderly family after the 1st case of a dog having Coronovirus in another country. The dog may have drank or ate after people (fed scraps) or left alone with a dead body too long we don’t know the circumstances of its infection.So far other animals have not caught it. 2nd case with dog coronavirus Hong Kong German Shepard May have also been in a bad circumstance like the first one.
    The German shepherd once removed was placed in a shelter with other dogs none have it or the human staff workers. Seen this before when I worked in a shelter infection usually from licking waste from a deceased body it has to be an illness that can jump from human to animal only. Abandonment ng isn’t not necessary folks are panicking. Rest their owners are in the hospital with the virus or died from it. The folks who shouldn’t be allowed pets are the ones who abandoned left the property knowing they won’t return. Ones who thought they could return left food y water neighbor to care for but they got locked out of their city is different.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/second-dog-tests-positive-for-coronavirus-as-owners-warned-not-to-abandon-pets-2020-03-20

My worry is children in abusive situation will have a very bad time through this. Nursing homes to adult care centers who don’t care to wash patients or feed them will be discovered after like any disaster. Homeless food kitchens are closing from no food to city ordnance which leaves them with no food (many lost their jobs due to rising home costs to loss of jobs. Older folks to young without family may not have food or anyone to check on them through this if their sick unable to get to a phone ☎️ that will be bad for them.
  • ataleforthetimebeing
    ataleforthetimebeing Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yet another species affected: Been looking at a horse for a couple weeks and we were able to still finalize the sale and pick her up yesterday. Old owner was relieved since her husband just got laid off and her hours were getting cut drastically. I don't want to look at the sale sights and see all the people being forced to sell their horse right now due to the financial impact. I really hope the horse community tries to come together and help each other out and we don't see a big spike in neglect cases, they aren't cheap animals to take care of.
    It’s difficult. A friend gives lessons and boards and she’s had to canceled all lessons and tell owners not to visit. And still find the funds to care for these animals she loves.

Out of curiosity, is she asking owners not to visit so people don't spread the virus to each other or can humans infect animals? Are there any animals with CV?

akuno9zw397k.jpeg

The meeting I was in yesterday stated that at this point dogs, and other animals, don't appear to contract the virus. However, they may be carriers of it. Dogs have shown to have the virus in their noses, and if they sneeze, could spread it to humans. It was highly suggested that pet owners, dog owners in particular, do not allow their animals to wander or come in proximity to other people. The physical distance rules should apply to them as well.

ugh I have heard there has been an increase of people surrendering their dogs in fear of getting it form them. But, most likely, your dog got it from you so thats an extreme reaction to that news. please dont start dumping your pets people!

If that is actually happening, those people should be barred from ever again being owned by a pet. :rage:

I think you missed my point. If people are actually surrendering/abandoning their dogs, they should be barred from having dogs.

No, No. I got it. I was pointing out the fact about dog because very few people about it and their ignorance is causing them emotional stress.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

akuno9zw397k.jpeg

I think you missed my point. If people are actually surrendering/abandoning their dogs, they should be barred from having dogs.

No, No. I got it. I was pointing out the fact about dog because very few people about it and their ignorance is causing them emotional stress.

I don't think anyone was saying they could. If you read back through the posts, you'd find it
  • ataleforthetimebeing
    ataleforthetimebeing Posts: 80 Member
    Options

akuno9zw397k.jpeg

I don't think anyone was saying they could. If you read back through the posts, you'd find it

Nobody as saying it but I just wanted to write it up straight in case anyone had a doubt and was reading this forum.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    New fashion looks
    it54pqrpq0um.jpeg

hey-girl-gif-13.gif
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    03/22/2020 - went in search of the ever elusive chicken yet again. Came home disappointed as nowhere in this city of hundreds of thousands of people has chicken on its shelf.

Apparently, the South runs on chicken and toilet paper. Who knew?

What is in your stores? Were all fresh meat products gone? Any produce?

To answer this question:

Surprisingly, booze. Lots of booze. Also, some produce and a crap-ton of coffee and tea. That's about it. Oh, and fresh flowers.

I've yet to venture out to the stores, since I'm not in desperate need & with asthma, would rather just stay away until I have no choice but to go out for food. But, since market shelves are bare, I was curious if anyone has visited Dollar Stores, if they're even still open?

I rarely visit & then it's just for cleaners or windshield wash fluid for my car, but they always have 2-4 isles of processed, canned & packaged food. Since they carry food, I was wondering if they can be considered essential?

I took a long walk yesterday. All biz's were closed, but the Home Depot's parking lot was filled with cars & people driving in & out. Odder still, the carwash was still open, too & they had customers... one bank, too, at least the drive-thru. The supermarkets are miles down that road, on the highway, so I've yet to see what's going on there.

Oh, & how are pet owners faring? Is there plenty of dog/cat food at stores, from what you've seen?

The parking lot of the family dollar near me is always full. They have as much food as any family dollar I’ve ever seen, so you could probably do a weekly family shopping trip there, except for limited fresh fruit, vegetables and no fresh meat.

• brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    It hasn't really.
    I'm a Corrections Officer, so I don't have the option to stay home. The gym is closed, which is a huge bummer.
    It just perplexes me that we need to close the gym down, where most people are SUPER health conscious and its required to wipe equipment down before/after use, not to mention there's hardly large crowds there and we all respect each other's space.
    But yet, grocery stores have people mulling about like cattle, 50-100+ at a time in the same place, passing within inches of one another. Doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose? I mean, I get it... just feels like a wasted effort. Maybe I'm just mad I can't go to the gym. Who knows.
    I've still been running and hiking outdoors with my dogs. I don't touch any man made surfaces and my larger male dog is SUPER reactive and unpredictable with strangers, so its a force of habit to keep a lot of space between others and us. 6 feet is even too close, usually I aim for 20+. We will step completely off the trail or into the road (I'm always attentive of cars) to avoid contact with people. That's nothing new.
    Besides not being able to go to the gym and grocery shopping suddenly becoming a lot harder, my life has not changed much. I did cancel our gender reveal in mid April, though, which I am extremely sad about. Fingers crossed we won't have to cancel our baby shower, or I have no idea how we will be able to prepare for this baby. He/She is not due until the end of August, so I'm praying this blows over before then.
    I also made the heartbreaking decision to not go visit my sisters and parents this last weekend because my husband and I have had cold symptoms but no fever. I'm so family oriented, and it aches me to be away from them, but my one sister has asthma and gets pneumonia nearly every year, my dad is about to turn 50, and my mom smokes.

I wasn't taking this seriously before but I'm beginning to understand. I still think that everyone is overreacting a bit, but I'm still being cautious.
  • reesegrace1
    reesegrace1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    People hoarding groceries. The shelves at our local walmart & Ingles is empty. Can't find nothing at the store.
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    TarryTaffyTwo Posts: 448 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Just curious if anyone is seeing the same food shortages at the large warehouse stores, like Costco? I could call Costco tomorrow to ask if they are open (didn't find that info online), but would they tell me if they have any meat/poultry/fish available?

I also have a couple of returns (clothing items) & was wondering if their customer service dept would be available, or if most stores are operating on a skeleton crew?

They're an hour away from me, so I was just wondering if others have gone to the larger bulk stores before I venture out.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I just found out my sons ex-girlfriend has fully recovered from COVID19 😊
    It’s made me realize that I’m nowhere near where I thought I would be at 48.

Glad to hear she's recovered.

Realizing things such as you stated is good for reflection. But, at the same time some people don't do so well with it while others will thrive.