Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why do people keep defending sugar?

purplebobkat
purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
Sugar (& other highly processed carbs) has no nutritional benefits, so why are so many people defending it?

Fruit & veg are good for you because they have high levels of nutrition, and the fibre content helps to mitigate the bad effects of the sugar content.

So although a lot of people lose weight while keeping their sugar levels high, is this something to be applauded or a reason to defend sugar?

Replies

• purplebobkat
    purplebobkat Posts: 68 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Sugar is neither to defend or demonize. It depends on your nutritional needs. If those are met and you have calories left over sugar can fill some of that gap. Overuse will cause problems, as will almost anything else. Why is moderation such a difficult concept for some? Athletes, people that burn a lot of calories may need that energy and quickly. Sugar has it's place.

Agree with all this. I use sugar/candy for quick energy before my lifting sessions. While it may not be nutritious I find it very beneficial (vegetables or fruit even would not have the same effect), so OP those "bad" effects you speak of are actually the effects I seek.

I made no mention of the bad effects of sugar (although they are numerous), I just asked why people defend sugar so much.

I consume too much sugar (like most people), but I understand it's bad for me & would never defend it. I just wondered why so many on this app are constantly doing so.

You mentioned that fibre helps lessen the bad effects.

Without sugar I would probably be underweight and not look the way I do so I have no problem defending it.

My bad I did in fact mention the bad effects (in passing), so thank you.

However your comment about being underweight without sugar is curious.