Calorie Counter

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Why do people keep defending sugar?

purplebobkatpurplebobkat Member Posts: 66 Member Member Posts: 66 Member
Sugar (& other highly processed carbs) has no nutritional benefits, so why are so many people defending it?

Fruit & veg are good for you because they have high levels of nutrition, and the fibre content helps to mitigate the bad effects of the sugar content.

So although a lot of people lose weight while keeping their sugar levels high, is this something to be applauded or a reason to defend sugar?

Replies

• trailrunner64trailrunner64 Member Posts: 12 Member Member Posts: 12 Member
    This is - and wil remain a very polarized conversation.
    - I will not take sides here but will encourage everyone who wants to take on the debate whether sugars (refined or otherwise) carbohydrates are unhealthy to read a book in physiology and see what happens to sugar and carbohydrates in our bodies when we ingest them
    - When you read about the fate of carbohydrates - make sure you read what happens to your insulin levels and what that does to the carbohydrates.
    - If you think the discussion regarding carbs is new - you should know the earliest mention of the benefit of low carbs was in the mid 18 century - in the 19th Century there is the famous "letter on corpulence" by William Banting. Sir Wiliam Osler (the father of modern medicine) wrote about it ... .
  • purplebobkatpurplebobkat Member Posts: 66 Member Member Posts: 66 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    Carbs are a macro nutrient so how can you say they have no nutritional benefit?
    That would be the same as saying fat has no nutritional benefit!

Maybe also consider that providing energy is a vital part of your diet which carbs (including sugar) do very well.

Actually I said sugar has no nutritional value. Carbs can be healthy, but sugar is not healthy. So why are so many defending it?

(Just curious)
  • purplebobkatpurplebobkat Member Posts: 66 Member Member Posts: 66 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Sugar is neither to defend or demonize. It depends on your nutritional needs. If those are met and you have calories left over sugar can fill some of that gap. Overuse will cause problems, as will almost anything else. Why is moderation such a difficult concept for some? Athletes, people that burn a lot of calories may need that energy and quickly. Sugar has it's place.

Agree with all this. I use sugar/candy for quick energy before my lifting sessions. While it may not be nutritious I find it very beneficial (vegetables or fruit even would not have the same effect), so OP those "bad" effects you speak of are actually the effects I seek.

I made no mention of the bad effects of sugar (although they are numerous), I just asked why people defend sugar so much.

I consume too much sugar (like most people), but I understand it's bad for me & would never defend it. I just wondered why so many on this app are constantly doing so.

You mentioned that fibre helps lessen the bad effects.

Without sugar I would probably be underweight and not look the way I do so I have no problem defending it.

My bad I did in fact mention the bad effects (in passing), so thank you.

However your comment about being underweight without sugar is curious.