April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Yes, Hal is my "coach" right now. I've actually used several of his running plans, from the website, before. I did my 15Ks strictly with his plan. Just downloaded the app a little while ago, decided to go with that.

@brittanystebbins95 I have heard of Sparta, but don't think I've been there (or if I was, it was a long time ago when I was a kid). I'm in Lake Geneva myself. The HM I have in mind is up the road a bit from you, Gopher to Badger.

Hal called for a 3 mile walk today. However, I woke up from a horrible, stressful dream. Also, my upper back (along the spine, between the shoulder blades) is screaming in pain. (My chiropractor said my thoracic area was showing signs of arthritis.) Makes sense for the pain I've been feeling for several years now. We are due for a cold front passing through later today as well some storms, so I'm sure that all adds to the pain and my overall tiredness. (hopefully no migraine...) I knew I HAD to get out, maybe another shorter run? But as I sat, thinking about it, I thought I'll do the 3 miles, just at a walk. Afterwards, Hal told me that I have to put in the work to reach my goal. Lets see what happens tomorrow. For now, medication.

GOAL: Run 2-3 times a week, virtual 5K on May 23rd

Week 1: 3/31 - 4/5 - No run or walk. 2 runs previous week w/bad headaches each. Decided not to run this week.

4/7 - Ran 1.51 miles
    4/9 - Ran 2.01 miles
    4/11 - Walk 3.2 miles GOAL - check, 2 runs

4/16 - Ran 1.81 miles
    4/17 - Ran 1.56 miles
    4/18 - Ran 2.1 miles (Total run - 8.99 Miles) GOAL - check, 3 runs

4/20 - Walk 3.02 miles (Total walked - 5.22 miles)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 Hope you get the results soon and that they are negative!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    All right. I need your insight and input.

I should NOT run the marathon distance this weekend because

1. I fell off the training wagon and have just been running virtual races since everything's been postponed
    2. The farthest I have ever run is 18 miles
    3. I have been struggling with pain SO much lately and I'm just getting back into the "no pain," zone. Still pretty sore today, but the knee isn't hurting - or at least, nothing is hurting as bad as it was.
    4. I have not properly tapered (see item 1)
    5. The marathon could just be postponed, in which case, I'll need to hop back onto the training wagon and get back into gear for that. Since I don't know when that might be, it would really suck to accidentally run two marathons very close together and risk further/ worse injury.

So having said all that. I need to choose virtual race distances this week. On any given day I can easily knock out a 5k. For this weekend/ long run, though. Do I go for a half marathon or marathon. Or do I use it as rest and just do like maybe a 15k....

decisions, decisions....

We HEAR our bodies every day. But when we LISTEN to our bodies, they can give us some insight on how best to proceed. I specialize in comic relief, so insight is pretty foreign to me.

Yes, this. I hear, do I listen? LOL
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 oooooo I had not thought of that! I know I can finish a HM in about 2 and a half hours, but I have only done that one time. I could try for that!

@janejellyroll You are killing it this month! Also - what you said about your legs being "no-go:" That's how my left leg feels right at the beginning of a long run. Just dead weight - does not want to move!

@Tramboman I am definitely - or at least have been - more of a "hindsight's 20/20," kind of lady, but now that I am older and have kids, of course, as it goes, my perspective has changed. I think that my body has been screaming at the top of its lungs - REST! MORE REST! MORE STRENGTH TRAINING! REST! - But me listening is a totally different thing. I really don't want to run myself into a surgery or break or permanent problems... So maybe just a half this weekend with a goal of finishing in 2.5 hours or less.

I think you can! of course if the leg/knee starts hurting - Listen not hear, lol!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @dreamer12151 I am so sorry! I know how that feels - that level of pain. I hope you feel better soon!

@Scott6255 five miles is no small thing when you consider your first ever mile! I hope you get results soon - I was just talking with my brother yesterday about the issues with testing still not being up to par and we are wanting to open the country... *sigh*

I hope your tests are negative!!!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    For those who have found their Garmins to be acting strangely this week... this morning mine (which I’ve had since December ‘19) awarded me a Halloween badge. Yes - a badge for logging an activity on Halloween, awarded 20th April!

Got my monthly target today with 10 days to go and now fully focussed on a 100 mile month for the first time ever!

Stay well everyone x

April goal: 75 miles
    April total: 75 miles

1/4: 3.6 miles
    2/4: 3.7 miles
    3/4: 3.5 miles
    4/4: 4.1 miles
    5/4: 3.5 miles
    6/4: 3.6 miles
    7/4: 3.5 miles
    8/4: 3.5 miles
    9/4: 3.5 miles
    10/4: 5 miles
    11/4: 4 miles
    12/4: 3.7 miles
    13/4: 3.6 miles
    14/4: 4.5 miles
    15/4: 6.2 miles
    18/4: 5.6 miles
    19/4: 5.1 miles
    20/4: 4.7 miles

March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0

Hmmmm mine has been annoying me the last 2 days by losing about 1200 steps. So right from the beginning of the day the sync is about 1000 - 1200 steps behind what I have actually done. It bugs me because the watch shows the correct amount, but when I check the synced data its wrong.

It's only 745am, I've been for a 4k walk that I tracked. Tlmy watch shows 5812 steps walked, and the front page of connect shows that, but when I click on the step details it only shows 4605 and a distance walked of 3.4k.

It's done this before but like once in a blue moon. The thing that's annoying me is it did it yesterday as well!

So ill just have to make sure I do the extra steps. On an 80+ day streak and I'm not going to lose it because of a buggy watch grrrr

ETA noticed the date for you... Maybe someone at garmin was celebrating the day... Smoking something funny haha
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @dreamer12151 I hope your pain subsides soon. I hear when you have arthritis you can tell when the weather is changing. Hopefully it will be better tomorrow.

@Avidkeo That's great news. Hopefully you won't have a spike in cases.

I have decided to combine the HM plan I am currently using (Jeff Galloway) and the one that Matt Fitzerald has in 80/20 Running. So, I am running the runs slower, trying to keep my HR in the correct zones, but running a little bit longer than Fitzerald says to run. I'm doing the extra time at an easy pace. Also, I am only going to walk when my HR is too high and I can't get it down by slowing down enough (probably like running up hills outside) or just whenever I feel like it. :lol: Today I wasn't feeling an outside run, or any run for that matter. I opted for a treadmill run so I could control the pace and incline. It turned out to NOT be awful. It was slow, but I am expecting that. Today I ran 3 miles and only walked for about 45 seconds. I also walked a mile.

exercise.png
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo GOOD JOB!!!!!!!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 I also don't see any pros really, and several cons, to running a marathon this weekend. A HM seems a better goal, but only if you can do it without pain.

@scott6255 hoping your test results come back soon. I got really excited when I saw they were beginning antibody testing here in NY state but the number of tests they are actually doing is so small, I can't imagine its really going to make a difference. I think they are kind of spot checking in some areas of the state.

@Avidkeo I'm glad to hear that things are going to be opening up for you guys somewhat in a week - hopefully it's not too early.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    04/01/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 5.0
    04/02/20 :::: 3.0 :::: 8.0
    04/03/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 11.6
    04/04/20 :::: 10.2 :::: 21.8
    04/05/20 :::: 1.5 :::: 23.3
    04/06/20 :::: 2.3 :::: 25.6
    04/07/20 :::: 4.6 :::: 30.2/marathon a week #1done
    04/08/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 33.3
    04/09/20 :::: 3.0 :::: 36.3
    04/10/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 40.3
    04/11/20 :::: 8.3 :::: 48.6
    04/12/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 51.7
    04/13/20 :::: 5.1 :::: 56.8
    04/14/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 60.3/marathon a week #2 done
    04/15/20 :::: 3.3 :::: 63.5
    04/16/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 66.6
    04/17/20 :::: 3.9 :::: 70.6
    04/18/20 :::: 7.1 :::: 77.6
    04/19/20 :::: 9.0 :::: 86.7/marathon a week #3 done
    04/20/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 89.7

I did a sprint workout at the track today. 50 meter sprints plus some jump squats, pushups, and skaters in between sets. Afterward, a push-up/plank challenge where you had to do (preferably without dropping) do 1 pushup, 20 second plank then 2 pushups, 20 second plank, 3 pushups, 20 second plank and so on up to 10 pushups + 20 second plank. It does not sound that hard but man, it was crazy hard. Then you are supposed to take 60-90 seconds break and reverse it starting with 10 and going down to 1 pushup. I did not do that part of the pyramid.

I took a walk with Stella and her paw seems fine today. Who knows what was bothering her.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    Thanks @Camaramandy648 !

@katharmonic That workout sounds grueling to me. Great job!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 Yes it very well could be the increase in carb intake. And despite the increased running, other activity has decreased some what. I'm going to keep better track
    @shanaber That could be it. I have increased my running the past few months and I have increased my calories, but now that I look at it, you might be right that what I have increased in eating is not enough? I have high calorie days on my long run days, but apart from that I'm usually at 12-1500 depending on the day. Could it be I'm not eating enough? Oh yes I would be terrified to eat more and gain. Eek. But it worked for you...so maybe...
    @Camaramandy648 Seems like the consensus is to eat enough. I need to be more precise on logging. Good running!!!!! I would not run the marathon, but see how you feel Maybe try and get a HM pr? That could be a goal.

@Avidkeo Love the cake!!

Did go for a bike ride yesterday, which was good. Had a televisit with my sports doc. We decided another shot was in order - so Wed I'll go in for it.
    Today is scheduled rest day which I will do, and tomorrow probably bike again(don't know if I will be able to or should run) so I can at least get some exercise in.

Wait a minute, another shot? When was your last one? Because that could explain the weight gain. Steroid shots will make you blow up like a balloon, mostly water weight but also some real weight. I gained a pound a day for a week following a shot to my knee!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,412 Member
    Options
    In light of the earlier discussion today for my run today's theme: Listening to My Body
    Which was sore and tight so I walked when I needed to and ran when I could. Really beautiful out so I enjoyed just being out there. My knee was sore last night when I went to bed so I took an aleve and it was still sore today when the aleve wore off. Not sure if it was from my strength and stretching workouts yesterday or if I just sat awkwardly. The other soreness in glutes, hamstrings, quads. lats, triceps, etc. was all related to my workout yesterday.
    Date..........Miles........Total
    04/01.......2.77..........2.77
    04/02.......0.00..........2.77 - Home workout (AKA Vizsla Strength Training)
    04/03.......6.91..........9.68 - Gratitude Un-Canceled Virtual 10k
    04/04.......6.51........16.19 - Gratitude Un-Canceled Virtual 5k
    04/05.......0.00........16.19 - + Stretch and Roll class
    04/06.......0.00........16.19
    04/07.......0.00........16.19
    04/08.......6.94........23.13 - Hope Un-Canceled Virtual 5k
    04/09.......0.00........23.13 - + Strength Training @ Home
    04/10.......5.44........28.57 - Rainy day run
    04/11.......7.92........36.49 - Hope Un-Canceled 10k
    04/12.......0.00........36.49 - + Stretch and Roll class
    04/13.......6.72........43.21 - Humor Un-Canceled 10k
    04/14.......5.64........48.85 - Humor Un-Canceled 8k
    04/15.......0.00........48.85
    04/16.......5.66........54.51 - + Stretch and Roll class
    04/17.......4.42........58.93 - Humor Un-Canceled 5k
    04/18.......7.50........66.43
    04/19.......0.00........66.43 - Home workout (AKA Vizsla Strength Training)
    04/20.......5.65........72.08 - Inspiration Un-Canceled 5k

exercise.png

2020 Run the Year Team - 2020 R.I.O.T. (Running Is Our Therapy) 569.71/1000 miles (running and walking)

2020 Planned and Completed Races
    02/02/20 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

Well, not what we were hoping for...
    Betty still tested positive. That is over 3 weeks that she has had it.
    Wife's test has come back negative. But somehow, I am positive :(

Oh no! Please let us know if there is anything we can do for you.
  • hamsterwheel6
    edited April 2020
    Options

Oh no, so sorry. Yes let us know if there is someway we can help. Lots of love to you.
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    @Elise4270 Yes it very well could be the increase in carb intake. And despite the increased running, other activity has decreased some what. I'm going to keep better track
    @shanaber That could be it. I have increased my running the past few months and I have increased my calories, but now that I look at it, you might be right that what I have increased in eating is not enough? I have high calorie days on my long run days, but apart from that I'm usually at 12-1500 depending on the day. Could it be I'm not eating enough? Oh yes I would be terrified to eat more and gain. Eek. But it worked for you...so maybe...
    @Camaramandy648 Seems like the consensus is to eat enough. I need to be more precise on logging. Good running!!!!! I would not run the marathon, but see how you feel Maybe try and get a HM pr? That could be a goal.

@Avidkeo Love the cake!!

Did go for a bike ride yesterday, which was good. Had a televisit with my sports doc. We decided another shot was in order - so Wed I'll go in for it.
    Today is scheduled rest day which I will do, and tomorrow probably bike again(don't know if I will be able to or should run) so I can at least get some exercise in.

Wait a minute, another shot? When was your last one? Because that could explain the weight gain. Steroid shots will make you blow up like a balloon, mostly water weight but also some real weight. I gained a pound a day for a week following a shot to my knee!

You know, I briefly thought it could be that, but then didn't really think anything of it.
    I had a shot mid Feb. so it could be! But if it was water weight would it really last this long?
    Did your weight ever go back? Oh man, and now I'm getting another. UGH
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

I hope you remain well. Sorry to hear this. If it's any consolation, we're all likely to get it sooner or later.