• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Going between diners drive ins and dives and big bang theory
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,054 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Barbara I bet your kitchen smells wonderful.

Nanners Glorious!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Warning, Peach! - virus talk:

Machka
    LOL! well, the Tasmanian government certainly doesn't seem to be at all concerned about the largest reservoir of SARS-CoV-2 (asymptomatic infected people).

So...the Tasmanian government's message is "you don't have to wear a mask to protect yourself from COVID-19".

Yep. That's true!

You have to wear a mask only if you are interested in protecting others from your glitter. If you don't feel like doing that, just leave that pesky mask at home!

Geez.

How irresponsible.

Like I said before, "the optimistic & healthy among us will doom the vulnerable".

I guess if we don't actually see the deaths of the people we kill by not wearing a mask, we can be in denial about it & it doesn't bother us. :#:#:#

Karen in Virginia,
    who doesn't think wearing a mask is an inconvenience

::::::::::

They're testing like mad here and coming up with nothing or next to nothing. One set of 500 tests in the northwest which is the hot spot for the virus came up with 1 person and all recent cases are related to the hot spot in the northwest which is related to the Ruby Princess cruise.

Also all 10 deaths so far have been related to the Ruby Princess cruise.
    https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/facts/cases-and-testing-updates

We have tests available here and are being encouraged to use them.
    https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/facts/important-community-updates

In addition, we've gone into a Stage 3 shutdown where we'll be fined a hefty amount if we're violating the shutdown. The NW went into a Stage 4 lockdown.

So rather than acquiring masks from somewhere (they are rare things around here) we're being encouraged not to go out and if we do go out to social distance.

In general, Australia is in a completely different situation than the US.

Australia's stats:
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/australia/

M in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Sodium is an issue for me, but it isn’t as serious as Jake’s situation. If I eat too much salt, my hands swell and hurt. I don’t think it does any other damage. Sending good thoughts for Jake. :heart:

TerriRichards: I agree that cruise ships are likely not a good place to be right now. Hoping for a cruise next year for you and also for Heather. :star:

Sue in WA: It is good to see your post. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: I hope your son-in-law gets what he needs to be okay, & that your DH is able to come home soon. :heart:

I chatted with a neighbor this morning. Her daughter, son in law, and grandchildren are leaving WA to move near here. I am happy for her, and wish my own kids & grand kids were closer, too.

I went to the liquor store today and found some changes. There was tape on the sidewalk to mark every five feet to keep a proper social distance as the governor’s restrictions require. There are now rules how many can be in a small space at once. Everyone in line and in the store was pleasant. Luckily it was dry out today. I have no idea how it would resolve itself in a rainy situation.

I’m thinking of Tere in VA and hoping for the best. Her family has had losses. This is a difficult time for many families in the world, and my heart goes out to her. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    In memory of Cameroonian musician Manu Dibango:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mxv2PmxiX0
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Bought a Plastic footlocker to store meds in JR figured out our other locking one so now padlock time! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Footlocker-Teal-Sachet/45924283

On sale $19.98 each the size the $5 Tupperware with lids folks use in their garage.2 equals the size of the huge ones at Walmart. Good enough same size as what I got.
    Hoping the licks I bought with they were on sale for $5.27 http://www.walmart.com/ip/Brink-s-22mm-TSA-Travel-Brass-Padlock-2Pk/17126549

Amber Tx
  • Machka9
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Tasmania ...
    Size: 68,401 km²
    Population: 524,170

Comparable with:
    West Virginia at 62,756 with a population of 1,778,070
    New Brunswick at 72,908 with a population of 761,214
    Lithuania at 65,300 with a population of 2.794 million
    Ireland at 70,273 with a population of 4,937,786

d0kkk4jaljsj.png

We shut our "borders" some time ago. Planes stopped flying and the Spirit of Tasmania ferry to the mainland stopped sailing. That said, I think there's one plane a week or something like that flying now ... just in case people really do have to get off the island.

Some of our Rules:

"Tasmanians should stay at home unless they need to be away from home:

• shopping for supplies or services; or
    • undertaking personal exercise; or
    • attending medical, or health care, appointments or for medical treatment; or
    • providing social support, or care, to another person (including compassionate needs, or to facilitate shared parenting arrangements, guardianship or care arrangements for another person); or
    • attending school or study, if unable to be performed at the person’s home; or
    • attending work, or volunteering, if unable to be performed at the person’s home; or
    • seeking veterinary services for an animal; or
    • performing essential maintenance, or security inspections, of another premises owned, or occupied, by the person; or
    • attending another location if you have a reasonable excuse, in the opinion of the Director of Public Health or his or her delegate, to attend the location.

New rules apply to indoor and outdoor gatherings, with a rule of two persons to be applied, except for gatherings of household members, those in shared parenting arrangements, guardianship arrangements or other care arrangements.

This means in the home, only two extra visitors are permitted at any one time. Outside the home, you may be with the people who live in your household, or if leaving the home alone, you may meet one other person to comply with the maximum group size of two people.

There are exemptions to the two person rule, including to allow more than two people in a private vehicle, in passenger transport, on a ferry service or vessel, at a medical, health or veterinary service, for the purpose of emergency services, at permitted businesses (eg supermarkets, pharmacies), at work (except if your venue or service is prohibited) and at school, childcare or educational institutions."

https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/families-community/gatherings
    https://www.coronavirus.tas.gov.au/families-community/gatherings/gatherings-faqs

We are strongly encouraged to remain in our own council areas. Social visits are not permitted in each other's homes or elsewhere. We can only shop for essentials and are strongly encouraged not to browse at shops ... go, get what you need, go home. Rallies and group gatherings are absolutely not permitted (big fines, jail terms etc.)

And the police, SES, etc. are around checking up.

When we go for a walk to the beach, there are usually 2 or 3 police vehicles that go by. I've also seen the SES checking up on people in my area. In the NW, where they've got a stricter lockdown, helicopters have been employed to watch people.

Machka in down under down under
  • Machka9
    Options
    nannersp61 wrote: »
    tu64ljyw8mmz.png
    this would be a beautiful picture to paint

Thank you ... I love that photo.

We had walked down the path, then turned around there and I just had to take the picture! :)

Machka in Oz
  • nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    https://media.giphy.com/media/ri8Kb9LOe5Nza/giphy.gif

Me: I must drink more water
    Also Me: Making excessive trips to potty
  • nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    thanks for the tip Amber, I will get one. I truly need it!
  • Machka9
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: I am surprised with the information from the Tasmanian government. I’m stunned that they don’t seem to care if people get sick because of exposure to another citizen.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

They do care ... very much. And they are doing a lot to prevent the spread of the virus, reasonably successfully. I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that they don't care. :neutral:

We haven't had a case outside the NW in a long time now (10 days) and the transmissions which have occurred aren't real "community transmissions". Unfortunately, some of the people from the Ruby Princess cruise came to Tasmania, and ended up in a hospital in the NW. Hospital staff ended up catching it from them.

The Ruby Princess is now part of an Australian homicide investigation.

Our government's main message is "stay home" ... and most people are complying. :)
    Also, stay away from each other ... which is pretty easy to do ... and hygiene!

M in Oz

qc0wge97vppk.png