WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Cathy- If he’s worth it he’ll wait for you! Hubby scared for me to go out in this only been 2xs in over a month more cause his back was hurt y he thought I needed to learn the new machines they installed for checking out. I like those new ones! Less issues with them

Amber Texas
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    I figured out how JR hurt his toe. The shoes rubbed him raw!! He grew out of his shoes again. I have 1 pair in the new size in his growing bin. Got liquid bandage 🩹 on the toe (plaster) y his new bigger shoes he wants shoes again. He can’t fit in his sz6 clothes JRs a sz7 now. We’re only newly 3yrs old. I have luckily a few clothes to grow into so to keep from going out he’ll have to make due with repeat outfits (not like anyone will see).

Suzi- You wear your pJs cut off for the summer lol 😂

Amber Tx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,359 Member
    Options
    London Paris – welcome!

Well, Jess asked if Colby could stay another week. To be honest, when he came here for Easter I thought it was just for the weekend. Then he asked if he could stay another week. I said fine. This time I talked to Vince (Jess said it was OK with him, but I think she misunderstood) and a few extra days is not a problem, but another week is probably too much. Will one week turning into two mean that two will turn into three which will turn into four??? Now Jess is mad at me, she said that Colby feels unwanted. That’s not true. I don’t know, today they went out for lunch, I didn’t even know they were gone. They went to some sort of craft beer place in Hickory. But the thing is that we didn’t even know they were gone. A “we’ll see you later” would have been nice. They’re out for a walk right now, but at least they told me that they were going for a walk. Maybe I wouldn’t feel this way if there was more communication. I know they want to be independent, but you also need to think of other people.

Tomorrow is my running around in Hickory day. I haven’t done something like this in almost a month. First, I need to go to the Salvation Army to make a donation. Then a friend’s house to leave some almond extract for her and an empty cat litter container for another friend, then another gal’s to drop off some things for her grandsons who are into Star Wars, then to see another gal who is going to give me some of the plastic utensils that you get in a restaurant (the utensil, a napkin) which I’ll take to the soup kitchen Friday. Then to another gal’s house to get some flowers, then to the only place where I can get the oat bran. Then home

M – now I understand how COVID is helping you

Made more yogurt in the IP. I’m going to a friend’s house tomorrow so I’ll give her some. She liked it the last time I gave her some. It just finished, now to let it drain.

Did a load of laundry. I took everything out of one of our storage closets and am getting rid of some things (if we haven’t used it in 12 years, we probably don’t really need it)

We’re going to get PJ a forward facing car seat for his birthday. He needs that more than he needs a toy. I’ll send one to him anyway (it was a $20 Fisher Price toy I got on sale for $8) but also the carseat, which isn’t exactly cheap.

Luci – we had to take one of our cats to the vet recently. What they do is you call them from your car, they come out and get the pet, take it inside for the doc to see then bring the pet back to you. Vince wasn’t crazy about the fact that he wasn’t there with the cat, but that’s how it is.

Hairdressers are closed here, too

Tina – you’re probably right, in many ways I DO want to do things for Jess. But then there are times when I would really like a break, but I know that her way of doing things is to go out which we’re not really into. We more like to finish up what I’ve made. 90wpm! Wow! I could only get 70. I can type and look at a person, too

Allison – ouch!!! Hope you heal real real fast

JR – hope your toe gets better soon

SuziQ – your muffins look delish

Michele NC
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 948 Member
    Options

Chronic pain- I refused a morphine pump as a kid they wanted to permanently install. I learned other ways to deal had to. Pain rubs with pain reliever , Tylenol for the days I just can’t, lots of heating pads to cool ones for after the heats in long,hot tub y heated pools help it (can’t since JR tho), mind over matter approach I have to not think about it at all even tho it’s obviously throbbing y stabbingly there, lots of relaxation techniques, dark room relax with quiet as I try to think of other things,hot showers 🚿 (cold increases the pain) . Try not to do certain positions to motions,y exercise (but if it hurts I find something more low impact!), y eat right to avoid increased pain (watching salt helps with my headaches I noticed problem is lots has salt now of days). It seemed the Doctors pain management was digging me a hole is why I changed routes was right for me. I went to where nothing was helping. Now I’m used to most of the pain know what to do for each type to head it off..bad days I skip exercising if it’s my back or feels like a injury (hard to tell my chronic pain from new pain so lot of it’s thinking y deciding which it might be).

This is exactly why I want the doctors to see the mister. Neither of us wants to get to this point. Already, opioids aren't working, nerve meds don't work, muscle relaxers- nothing, naproxen- nothing. Advil works sometimes, but he's at the point he has to take very high doses for even slight relief. This is not a good thing in so many ways.

Katla - I understand why doctors don't want to see patients for regular annual exams, physicals, mammograms, etc. But for someone who is in so much pain he cannot sleep, sit, stand, lie down, work, or otherwise function, they really need to see him and help. He did a video visit and it was a waste of time. The video kept freezing, she couldn't really see his movement, obviously couldn't touch him where the pain is. He can't work and cannot even get disability because the doctors won't see him to fill out his paperwork.

Just wondering. What if someone were to walk into Urgent Care with this? Would they turn him away or just prescribe more useless meds and then send him away?

If anyone has any wonder remedies, please feel free to say so. We will try nearly anything at this point.

Tina in CA
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Michels-I’ll let JR know you wished his toe well. Shoe rub owies are the worst!

Amber Tx
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,764 Member
    Options
    Tina - here in Alberta the hospitals are running ads reminding people that emergency departments are still open and that if you would go to emergency in normal circumstances for things that are not COVID related you should still go. They are finding people are not coming in soon enough and they could have been helped.
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Beth, your advice to yourself to stop baking has morphed into my advice to myself not to start. I need to gain back about 7 pounds. I suspect more protein and more dairy will take care of that just fine. I’ve gained back two in the last week. That being said, I wonder how I could get aconvectioniven to sub for an air fryer. That two-ingredient bagel recipe sounds like the right quantity and nutrients to fit into my regimen better than the regular ones.

Cathy, is that lovely dog a Sheltie? I love blue-eyed digs, but Siberian huskies are a bit much for me! Even a Border Collie is almost too much. I’d love to have a littler dog, though.

I love hearing all of your “work-arounds”, which I guess are called “hacks” now. When I was young to “hack” something meant to take it apart, as in hacking a botched sewing project.

I know several of you quilt, but who here still sews some of their or their family’s clothing? Last era I did much of that was fifty years ago. I wish clothing was as individualistic now as it was then!

I got my Instant Pot cook book from Jeffrey, the Pressure Luck guy, and am now prowling my kitchen figuring out where I can take something out and put my pot in. I got a pressure cooker in about 1972 with Raleigh Coupons. That’ll tell you how much my ex and I smoked in those days. I quit in ‘95. Best thing I did for myself besides losing weight.

Our spring has called a bit of a halt this next week, weather-wise, and the bird influx has suddenly stopped too. It’s almost as if nature doesn’t quite know what to make of the contradictions and is waiting until we make up our collective minds - sort of like waiting for the cat to decide “in” or “out”!

Sharon, of Two Minds, Near Seattle
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    Just wondering. What if someone were to walk into Urgent Care with this? Would they turn him away or just prescribe more useless meds and then send him away?

Tina in CA

Give it a try!

Has he been diagnosed with something?

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Sharon, you can bake the bagels in a regular oven. It will just take a little longer.

• clowe1028
    clowe1028 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Sharon, Angel is a Mini Australian Shepard. She is 10 years old, I adopted her when she was 4. She I very low key and the sweetest dog. She weighs about 25 lbs.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Tina I wonder if your mister has had a sed rate to rule out Polymyalgia Rheumatica (PMR). I know he has a baseline pain syndrome, but his dramatic escalation of symptoms seems as if it might be something acute superimposed on top of his chronic pain condition. The sed rate is a simple blood test that takes an hour to run. Not sure about other facilities, but our urgent care can do it on site. PMR is treatable.