WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    Options
    I have a Dyson and love it for small jobs. I do have to regularly cut my long hair out of the brushes though. :o For our cleaner I bought a normal vac as it doesn't have a time limit and the suck is stronger for all the carpets upstairs. The Dyson is a stick, but can easily be broken down to a dust buster for the car etc.
    Personally I would never buy another Dyson as the man is a b.....d. On every level.

Now to get to writing.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    suziq113 what's a PITA

auntiebk awwww thanks... back then, when we met, I was a chunky monkey, aint gonna lie
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    suziq113 what's a PITA

auntiebk awwww thanks... back then, when we met, I was a chunky monkey, aint gonna lie

Pain in the A--
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I am torn with a decision. I know what the right thing to do is, but am clouded over needs and wants for me and someone else.

I had a hair appointment scheduled for this Saturday. I am resolved with letting it grow out and make due. The salon left me a message and stated given the situation they are not open and once they find out when they can open they will fit me in as soon as possible. Cheryl proceeded to say, if you are interested David is taking some side jobs and she left his phone number.

Here is my back and forth. A cut is a need and I can do without. I can wait. Everyone is in the same boat. That said, David has not had an income for over a month and I know he could use the money. He has been taking care of me for 30 years!

If I schedule I know I will be exposed to anyone he may have seen. So I keep telling myself it's not a good idea.

But, then again, FL wants to start opening things up, more than likely I will be sitting in the office on May 3rd, and if we are both masked and practice all other safe measures how different is it than me going to the grocery store?

Right now I am on the "no" side of things. And, I know he would be mortified if I just said give me your address and I will send some cash to you to help out. And, I want to help out. Hence my yes/no.........
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,684 Member
    Options
    Riding grim home to work
    13.22mi
    Day 1 - 14.3amph
    Day 2 - 14.1amph
    Day 3 - 14.1amph
    Day 4 - 14.1amph
    Day 5 - 14.5amph
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,414 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

Vacuum cleaners! Dust busters! Ever since I mentioned it yesterday I've had the "Ghostbusters" parody song "Dustbusters" by Wierd Al earworm running in my head.... the melody with the whirr of a Dustbuster in the background. Ah yes, they are noisy.

Dyson owners - so how big is the waste receptacle? I looked at all sorts of them online yesterday and danged if I could spot where the dirt goes on the Dyson. I did see a little plastic receptacle - maybe that's it?

Anyhow, don't mean to diss the Dyson. Appreciate that info and will look into it when our Hoover Windtunnel finally conks out. Now that thing holds at least a gallon, it's huge.

Might just go for the cheapest handheld I can get right now - I need to see what all is available first so when I'm on my grocery run tomorrow might swing by the vacuum display at Walmart. I not only want to get after the stuff around the woodstove - little bits of wood and ash, and the stuff under the sofa cushions, but attacking the cat hair in DH's shop. So am looking for something with a fairly large dirt receptacle.

When is WA State going to start opening up? I'm sure everyone is analyzing data, looking at projections, etc. For everyone's sanity I surely hope outdoor activities where folks can easily distance open up soon.

If my trade was hair cutting, I'd have been doing it on the sly in people's homes by now, at least wash n wear trims like Heather gets. Show up with scissors and mask on - client greets me at the door with wet hair wrapped in towel. Pull up a kitchen chair, snip snip and on my way with some $$. The hair stylist in my mom's home town used to do that when she was unable to go to the salon and even gave her a perm right there at the kitchen sink. :)

Betsy - so sorry to hear about your rats! I've heard bird feeders can attract them and I keep watching ours - so far only birds and bunnies and deer frequent it, but I did find some holes under a rotting tree stump at the back of our property... crossing finger it's a chipmunk, I saw one up by DH's shop a week ago. Now I'm wondering tho.....

OK, time flies. Make it a great day, ladies! B)

Lanette
    Rainy SW WA State
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    I am torn with a decision. I know what the right thing to do is, but am clouded over needs and wants for me and someone else.

I had a hair appointment scheduled for this Saturday. I am resolved with letting it grow out and make due. The salon left me a message and stated given the situation they are not open and once they find out when they can open they will fit me in as soon as possible. Cheryl proceeded to say, if you are interested David is taking some side jobs and she left his phone number.

Here is my back and forth. A cut is a need and I can do without. I can wait. Everyone is in the same boat. That said, David has not had an income for over a month and I know he could use the money. He has been taking care of me for 30 years!

If I schedule I know I will be exposed to anyone he may have seen. So I keep telling myself it's not a good idea.

But, then again, FL wants to start opening things up, more than likely I will be sitting in the office on May 3rd, and if we are both masked and practice all other safe measures how different is it than me going to the grocery store?

Right now I am on the "no" side of things. And, I know he would be mortified if I just said give me your address and I will send some cash to you to help out. And, I want to help out. Hence my yes/no.........

The problem is, if he gets caught, he can permanently lose his license, at least that is what they are doing in TX.

I have trouble seeing a haircut as a need. To me it is definitely something that can wait. We’re all different though, that’s what keeps this thread interesting.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Heather - Yeah for getting your refund!

Okie
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    nqv6207ii5pd.jpeg
    Lovely and smooth will have some later on 21 mins enough for 3 good helpings. DH won’t eat this he hates celery, I love it my Mum used to put it in stews but never made soup with it I first tasted celery soup at age 16/17 in the canteen at my first job remember it to this day weird the things you remember 😂 Will freeze 1 portion and see how it goes.

Kate xx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :'(Barbara,I don't remember saying anything about apples and being hungry. Either it was someone else or it's just gone to the pile of stuff in the back of my brain.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Did Bob Harper’s Totally Ripped Core Workout DVD. Not bad. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Horizontal Conditioning DVD

ShredWeek – you’re much more than welcome

Kim – yes, it is a lung disease. He said he can’t wait for ceramics to open. I do hope he wears a mask when it does. Yes, it’ll still get on his clothing, etc. But a mask is better than nothing. Admitted, this won’t go away, but at least he may be able to put off needing oxygen.

I had a few boxes of things from when Jess was little that I’ve been meaning to go thru so I did that mostly yesterday. For some reason I kept things like budgets from the PTA. She’s not going to be interested in things like that. Thank you cards sent to me. In the trash. Now when she comes back I do want her to go thru what else is there. There are lots of pictures I would think she’d want. I found her elementary, high school and college diplomas, cards, things like that.

I’m starting to go thru Bryan’s things. I do need Vince to help me because I don’t know if some of the things he wants to keep like hockey cards. So that’ll be next. Then I’ll try tackling Denise’s things and give some to her each time I see her. Things like ceramics she made as a child.

I planted the lilies of the valley the gal gave me yesterday. My philosophy to gardening is “if God means for it to live, it’ll live”. There is a small area between the sidewalk and a column. It’s just such a PITA to cut the grass there, so I’m hoping these’ll take. Now the gal said they will grow in a shallow area. When I planted them, I saw that it’s only about an inch before you hit the footer for the column. The only thing I can think to do if these don’t take is to get more (my understanding is that they really spread so I’m sure in a year or two I can get more from her) and put down some topsoil to bring the ground level up some

Before, when I’d take the water class, I always put lotion on my arms and legs after the class because the chlorine really dried out my skin – to the point that I would scratch it so much that it would bleed. Well, I am taking showers at home but not putting on the lotion. It never dawned on me to do it. Last night my arm started to itch. I know that’s the cause so I just need to use more and more lotion.

SuziQ – I totally agree that the participation trophy was a really bad idea. Vince said he wants to talk to her alone (not sure why). Yes, they were playing the ask dad then mom game. But part of it is also that Jess misunderstands a lot and sometimes Vince isn’t as explicit as he should be. We have one of those mats that is like grass right outside the litter box. Admitted, it doesn’t catch all the litter but it does get a fair amount. I can live without it right now, but I put a Roomba on my Christmas list. I like pip’s idea to solve your dilemma. I would send that guy a bit of money, but not get a haircut

Pip – a PITA is a “pain in the ***”

M – Rhody reminds me so much of Shadow! Love the pics

Just made some pops I made with yogurt from the IP. I found that it was much thicker than what you buy at the store. My bet is that the stuff you get at the store isn’t drained for as long as you do. But that also means that the yogurt is higher in protein.

KJ – I bet this is something your kiddos would like. Just take a 32oz container of unflavored yogurt (I found Greek yogurt to be best), take a 12oz can of OJ concentrate. Thaw the concentrate but do not reconsistitute it. Mix the two together. I used to give this to the kids when they were little, it’s something even babies can have. I’ve also put it into ice pop molds and had “pops”.

I don’t know of anyone giving haircuts in the backroom here, but to me, it’s really not a big deal. I can live. Uncolored or uncut hair sure beats the alternative if you were to contract the virus

Almost ready to start decreasing on the c2c blanket that I’m making. Wonder if I’ll have time to make another one? Guess I should start anyway. I’m going to have to look online to see about borders.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :) Right now I am not going into anyone else's house and no one is coming into mine except the one friend who is like family and even she practices social distancing for the few minutes she is here to begin our morning dog walk.

:) Awhile ago Jake's daughter told him that she'd bought a sewing machine so she could make masks. Late she told him she'd made masks for her family, her brother, children in the neighborhood, her mother, her aunts, and some friends. But no mention of making masks for her immune compromised father and beloved step-mother.

:) Our dog groomer is not open and we wouldn't take the dogs there even if she were. We have a no petting rule which would make grooming an even more serious no no.

:) Jake got his hair cut a few days before hair salons were shut down. He expected that and gave the stylist a $20 tip and will probably do so again when she's back in business.

:)Lisa, a few days ago I listened to a great podcast about Girl Scout Cookies.

:)Heather, Your patience has been rewarded with the refund from the cruise.

:)Betsy, we have had to take special measures to deal with rats under our house and in our neighborhood. People have been asked to not feed the birds because the seed draws rats. Yesterday I saw a woman spreading peanuts on the ground and she also had bird feeders hanging on her trees. The people next door had rat traps placed at intervals around their fence.

:) It just started raining so I'll have a break today from pulling weeds which will be good for my back which is feeling the effects of the daily work.

<3 Barbie in NW WA