WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,041 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    For the newcomers and as a reminder for us ...

Where are you located (approximately)?

What are some of your favourite hobbies/sports/activities?

What takes up most of your day?

I'm Machka and I am in Tasmania, Australia. :)

Some of my favourite hobbies/sports/activities include:
    -- cycling
    -- walking
    -- hiking
    -- running
    -- reading
    -- working on my website
    -- photography

Most of my day is spent working with health data, "attending" university (online now), doing homework, and spending time with my husband (who suffered a severe traumatic brain injury 2 years ago) and new kitty, Rhody.

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,626 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

gave my legs a break

Bike ride home 2 dome- 11.29min, 134mhr, 13.5amph, 2.58mi= 66c
    Apple Watch- 78c
    Bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 15.59min, 13.5amph, 151mhr, 3.60mi= 141c
    apple watch- 149c
    walk sta 2 wrk w/bkpack- 7.36min, 115mhr, 4.1ap, .51mi= 46c
    apple watch- 53c
    walk wrk 2 sta w/bkpack- 7.15min, 4.1ap, 119mhr, .49mi= 38c
    apple watch- 50c
    bike ride dome 2 home- 18.56min, 8.2amph, 145mhr, 2.57mi= 176c
    apple watch- 149c

total cal 479
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    B)
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,574 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Where are you located (approximately)?

Willamette Valley, Oregon

What are some of your favourite hobbies/sports/activities?

Gardening, walking the dog, reading, cooking, hiking, camping, going to the beach, MEXICO!!!

What takes up most of your day?

I am a college administrator at a small, private, faith-based university. I am currently working from home, most days, although I usually go into my office one day a week. This week has been unusual. I have been in each day this week. :grimace: Monday -- all day, but Tuesday just a couple hours, and today, about 30 minutes. Fortunately, very few other people are around.

I am Zoomed out! :dizzy:

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Where are you located?

I live in St Helens OR. I love this place. We have good neighbors and a beautiful view of the Columbia River. This is HalloweenTown. The original movie was filmed here and we have a grand time living in Halloween Town every October. We have hummingbirds year around and enjoy seeing them at our feeders. The people are nice in my neighborhood & community. ❤️❤️❤️
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,299 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Flea - love the video. <3 Almost made my eyes wet. :'( I hope to Zoom the kids late this morning and wave at them through the window this afternoon when we take the brownies over. It would be nice to stand at the end of the front garden path and chat at the door, but I'm not sure Bea would be able to cope.

Our government health adviser is talking about next year, or when we have a vaccine, for social distancing to be back to normal. Older people, or the health compromised, will not be hugging their grandchildren any time in the near future, especially if the kids are allowed back to school. The safest time to see them, at a distance, will be before they go back. I have always said we are all going to get it. Vaccine research appears to be progressing, but it's a long haul.
    I very, very much want to touch and hug my grandchildren and I am not normally a touchy granny. DH is the one they sit on and climb on. :D

I live in beautiful Brighton and Hove, by the sea, in the south of England. We moved here 18 months ago for a change of lifestyle and to be near the grandchildren. The vibrant city , with its restaurants, bars, coffee shops, theatres, and myriad attractions will have taken a huge economic hit. I am fearful for many people's livelihoods including my son's.
    At least the sea is still here.
    My activities are many and varied and I am never bored. I am a published author of children's books and other works. I am writing, but not as much as I could. I am currently working on my second volume of my memoir. I exercise like a demon every morning with my DH. I run by the sea and go to dancing classes and singing groups and read huge numbers of books, mainly non fiction. My other passion is cruising. :* I adore my grandchildren and my friends, who I love to meet up with for lunch. :*

A great deal of my life is lived in my imagination, so the restrictions don't confine me as much as some others. I still exercise, write, read, watch great tv, cook delicious food, drink great wine, see the sea, write, zoom, and phone my friends and family. I lived the cruise I didn't have through my imagination. I'm still, the prime minister in my head, reorganizing the country and solving the crisis.. I'm reading a book about the immune system. I am busy!

Looking forward to my food delivery tonight!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Options
    Looking forward to my food delivery tonight!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

We had a grocery delivery yesterday and one of the things I ordered was popcorn!! I got a craving! I might have some this evening or maybe wait till the weekend.

I've seen that grocery delivery here should be back to normal, or mostly back to normal. I had done one large order just before things shut down, and then I've topped up since, so we've got quite a bit of variety. And I'm trying to limit my daytime snacking mainly to apples and carrots.

M in Oz
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Karen in VA and Okie, I have a recliner, a daybed and a swivel rocker in my living room. The bench at my kitchen table has cushions, and we use towels there too, and an apron if cooking. I keep fresh hand towels for myself, and in normal times for visitors in a basket near the front door so if a guest forgot to bring their own there’s always a fresh one handy. The first rule of nudism is to always sit on your towel. Most of us carry around outdoors a larger towel as well as what we refer to here as a “butt mat” for putting on our chairs, benches, etc. We often just carry a tote around with us with a book, iPad, earphones, suntan lotion, small towel, t-shirt if our shoulders need some protection from the sun, or a sarong or something, lip balm, and shampoo if we’d be going in the pool, which isn’t happening right now. Everything is closed. That way residents don’t have more rights than members who come up for the day. The gate is locked all day right now. Deliveries are the only thing allowed in.

We have filled soap dispensers by the showers, and if we need a back-scrubber that comes too. Clippers, tweezers, nail files, etc. all go down with us if we’re showering there instead of at home. Sunglasses and a scarf or hat complete the ensemble.

Since a soap shower is required before entering hot tub, pool or sauna it’s usually easier in summer to do basic grooming down there. Things like shaving happen at home or in the showers up at the bathrooms. The outdoor showers are where most of us go before a swim. There’s a nice high fence backing the outdoor showers so tricky breezes don’t give goose-bumps. It’s really pretty idyllic here. Somehow I’ve missed that particular Sedaris book. I’ll have to watch for it when Half-Price Books reopens. 🥰

Speaking of books, I was delighted to see my old friend “The Good Earth” appear above. Pearl Buck left me with a longing to see a China that is no longer. I recall several of her other books. “Peony”, which dealt in part with the Jewish community in pre-revolution China, “Sons”, “A House Divided”. I read her books indiscriminately as I found them in libraries or friends’ homes. They were very popular after her success with “The Good Earth”!

Heather, it hasn’t changed a bit, as far as I can tell, from when we were young. Young women are superficially wiser, but in applying that knowledge to their personal situation and recognizing the SOBs for what they are, I see little change.

Rebecca, i could have sworn Athena was going “Ba! Ba! Ba!” as in bath at one point while watching the washer perform.

I am Sharon, from Issaquah, a town about 17 miles east of Seattle. I’m 77, and a tax preparer/retired truck driver. I love travel, including road trips as well as farther afield. I am staff to two cat princesses and a few fish. I spend much of my days listening to books on Roman and Greek classical history and mythology, I crochet, and as you can see I natter in here a great deal. I’m beginning to miss socializing. I was just beginning to take notice of gents again since my husband fiend 7 years ago. Oh well! The “best planned lays”, as he would have said. “go oft a-gley!”

Sharon Near Seattle
  • Machka9
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Since a soap shower is required before entering hot tub, pool or sauna it’s usually easier in summer to do basic grooming down there. Things like shaving happen at home or in the showers up at the bathrooms. The outdoor showers are where most of us go before a swim. There’s a nice high fence backing the outdoor showers so tricky breezes don’t give goose-bumps.

Sharon Near Seattle

Sort of like the spas in Japan!

I think I might have mentioned this here before, but when we were in Japan in 2012, we decided to check out the Yunominoyu Hotspring Spa because we were camping right next door to it.

I had never been to a Japanese spa before so I didn't really know what I was doing, but an elderly Japanese lady who didn't speak much English guided me through the whole process! :)

M in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Welcome all who are new here.

I am SuziQ and I reside in Southern Florida in Broward County. I spend the working week as a data analyst for the operations team of a large national reseller of technology and computer equipment. I enjoy working although am certainly looking forward to the time when I can say bye bye to the corporate world.

I love to read, garden, spend time outside, cook and bake, swim, mentor, learn new things, study people, travel by car, volunteer and a host of other stuff. I try to keep myself open and not fit in to any one category or box. I find it's too limiting.

Work takes up most of my time for the foreseeable future. My current plan is to retire as soon as possible which would be 62. It is giving me something to look forward to when I start to think, OMG will this every end! LOL. In all seriousness I will probably work longer, but really needed a paradigm shift about 8 months ago when I was feeling like my working life would never end. :wink: