WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• nannersp61
    nannersp61 Posts: 2,315 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed walking for about an hour this morning at our city park. I certainly will miss this when we move from here in June.
    Nancy from Snyder, Tx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,299 Member
    Options
    Barbara - my objections to Mr Dyson are political and personal. He is obnoxious. I feel the same about a lot of famous entrepreneurs and will not give them my money. Unfortunately I am addicted to Jeff Besos's outfit. :'( He has just sent me an email saying that he is giving a £2 an hour pay rise to his workers because of the crisis. I think that's a good thing? ;)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Born in Texas never have left Texas. Went from country living to city life back y forth of the years. There’s pros/cons to both.

My Day exercise,Hubby,JR,cooking,y cleaning not much time after all that.
    Homeschool JR before public school will do a placement test decide kindergarten or 1st grade (Daughter did this tested 3rd grade level but I chose to hold her back to work on her ability to connect with her peers socially... plus if she couldn’t get the crayola she wanted she cried so figured a 3rd grade teacher wouldn’t appreciate that since the other kids would be distracted/ was the right decision)

Same old day for me at least no rain finally

Amber Tx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Pam – do you go to a yoga class or do you do yoga DVD’s at home? If you do them at home, which ones do you like the best?

Michele NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I am Katla and I live next to the Columbia River in Columbia County, Oregon with my DH and our dog. I was born in Salem Oregon and have always lived in this state.

The town where I now live is next to the Columbia River between Portland and the coast. This is where the original Halloween Town movie was filmed. October is always a month-long Halloween Town festival here. I hope the town is open for business before then. Many of the local businesses depend on the tourist dollars.

Right now, most local businesses are closed by the Governor’s orders. Grocery stores, hardware stores and gas stations are open. City offices are closed to the public although the employees are still at work. Local businesses such as the theater, restaurants, and beauty shops are closed with no known timeline to reopen. It is a huge financial burden for them.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options

1. Where are you from originally?
    born in NYC, moved every two years, eventually lived for a long time in Eureka, CA now for a long time in Sequim, WA
    2. Do you eat breakfast? If so, what did you eat today?
    Isagenix chocolate shake nearly every morning since 2009
    3. Do you prefer to dine in, carry out, or cook at home?
    We almost always eat at home but hubby likes to eat out so we do that once a month or so
    4. Favorite Girl Scout Cookie?
    haven't eaten cookies in years, but when I did, I liked the thin mints and no others
    5. Do you listen to music when you work?
    When I worked outside the house, it wasn't possible and now I do, from time to time
    6. What is your favorite sonic drink?
    All I drink is water
    7. What is your favorite board/card game?
    Don't like any board games
    8. What is your favorite podcast?
    10% Happier with Dan Harris, Happier with Gretchen Rubin, The Happiness Lab with Dr. Laurie Santos, (do you see a pattern?)
    9. What is your dream sandwich?
    grilled cheese
    10. What makes you gag?
    the dentist, okra, calves liver
    11. What are your hobbies?
    Reading, knitting, walking, dancing
    12. What is one thing that can make your day instantly better?
    my pets.
    13. What was the best vacation/trip you ever took and why?
    99 days in an RV with my husband traveling through lots of states and staying in a lot of RV parks
    14. If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
    A cat---no one has a better life
    15. At a party, where can someone find you?
    At home, I wouldn't go.

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    1. Where are you from originally? The midwest

2. Do you eat breakfast? If so, what did you eat today? Yes. Egg whites with a drizzle of olive oil, mango, banana, coffee

3. Do you prefer to dine in, carry out, or cook at home? Yes, yes, yes

4. Favorite Girl Scout Cookie? Don't have one. I try to avoid them.

5. Do you listen to music when you work? Sometimes

6. What is your favorite Sonic drink? I so rarely go, but when I do I generally order a limeade

7. What is your favorite board/card game? None

8. What is your favorite podcast? Don't have one. I listen to many.

9. What is your dream sandwich? I have never dreamed of a sandwich

10. What makes you gag? When I stick my finger in my throat. :smiley:

11. What are your hobbies? Reading, traveling, sitting on the deck, trying beer, drinking wine.

12. What is one thing that can make your day instantly better? Haven't thought about it.

13. What was the best vacation/trip you ever took and why? Too hard to choose. I have many I've enjoyed.

14. If you were an animal, what animal would you be? Probably a cat.

15. At a party, where can someone find you? In a corner with a beverage, observing everyone.

Tina in CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Rebecca - that's great! Lovely ring. :)

I had a text from DDIL. " Brownies were AMAZING! Everyone loved them and so nice to see you both. Still the best I've ever tasted. Heather - thank you! <3:p<3 "

Nice to be appreciated. :D I hope they haven't eaten them all. We ate one each, I'm freezing the last four, and DH said, "The best ever!". They are VERY gooey. :o:D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    1. Where are you from originally? Georgia for 69 of my 71 years!

2. Do you eat breakfast? Leftovers from dinner, egg & grits or toast

3. Do you prefer to dine in, carry out, or cook at home? Dine out but cook at home 90% of the time.

4. Favorite Girl Scout Cookie? Don't have one.

5. Do you listen to music when you work? No, but have the tv on for background noise all the time.

6. What is your favorite Sonic drink? Never been there.

7. What is your favorite board/card game? None

8. What is your favorite podcast? What's a podcast?

9. What is your dream sandwich? Subway Greek with lots of banana peppers oil and vinegar.

10. What makes you gag? Finding an egg shell in my cooked eggs.

11. What are your hobbies? Computer games such as scrabble, mahjong, solitaire, crossword puzzles

12. What is one thing that can make your day instantly better? Looking at photos of babies and pets online.

13. What was the best vacation/trip you ever took and why? It's been a long time.

14. If you were an animal, what animal would you be? Probably a cat.

15. At a party, where can someone find you? Hiding.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    list=1]

Where are you from originally? Salem, Oregon

[*] Do you eat breakfast? If so, what did you eat today?
    [*] I had leftovers today. I usually have cottage cheese & blueberries.
    [*]
    [*] Do you prefer to dine in, carry out, or cook at home?
    [*] We almost always eat at home, but like Thai food when restaurants are open.
    [*]
    [*]Favorite Girl Scout Cookie? My granddaughter is my favorite girl scout cookie. :heart:
    [*]
    [*]Do you listen to music when you work? rarely
    [*]
    [*]What is your favorite sonic drink? None. There are no sonic stores in our area.
    [*]
    [*]What is your favorite board/card game? Cribbage and solitaire
    [*]
    [*] What is your favorite podcast? I don’t listen to podcasts.
    [*]
    [*] What is your dream sandwich? Chicken or roast beef.
    [*]
    [*] What makes you gag? Cigarette smoke & the smell of vomit.
    [*]
    [*] What are your hobbies? Reading, knitting, horseback riding, & sailing
    [*]
    [*]What is one thing that can make your day instantly better?
    [*]Talking with my children & grandchildren on the phone & time with DH & our dog.
    [*]
    [*]What was the best vacation/trip you ever took and why?
    [*]We sailed our boat down the Columbia River, out into the Pacific and up the coast.
    [*]
    [*] If you were an animal, what animal would you be? I would be a human.
    [*]
    [* At a party, where can someone find you?. I would likely visit with friends.
    [*]
    [*]
    [*] Rebecca: Your engagement ring is beautiful!!! Congratulations on wearing it again. :heart:
    [*]
    [/list]
    Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    W2G Rebecca!! I remember the excitement when my backup ring (not my engagement it’s still not fitting yet) .Its the ring for periods y pregnancy I wear y Rhematoid arthritis days. Still being able to wear a ring again was wonderful!! Your engagement ring is so pretty!

Amber Tx
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,246 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Hi! I’m Terri, aged 75 next birthday, married almost 54 years, 2 daughters, 2 adult grandkids, 1 teenager.

Where are you located (approximately)?

Northern Ireland

What are some of your favourite hobbies/sports/activities?

All arts/crafts
    Flower arranging
    Drawing/painting/photography
    Creative Writing (especially poetry)
    Walking/dancing/yoga/tai chi/weight training/HIIT
    Reading
    Studying Shakespeare/Latin
    Jigsaws
    Playing computer games
    Nature and the environment

What takes up most of your day?

I’m retired, but work as a volunteer group leader for a lifelong learning charity. (On hold at the moment, but keeping some activities going on the internet.
    Working on my memoirs in lockdown, as the result of a Birthday request from my dear 22 year old grandson

☘️ Terri.

• cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Oh yes, Terri has reminded me of my love of languages, which I practice every day. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,074 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    A friend sent me a link on how a women helped her husband through COVID.

What is happening is the hospitals try to get you to do self treatment at home for as long as you can. They may not have the tests to test if you have it because of the shortages in tests.

Highlights from the article. Everyone reacts differently to virus. There is more than one strain. If you get the one with the more severe symptoms.

Fluids fluids fluids hopefully water, tea, ginger tea
    Have loved one lay on there stomach not their back.
    Try to have them sit up rather than lay down
    Try to get them to eat something if possible. Hard because may not have and smell or taste.
    Try to get them to do some walking to avoid pneumonia or exercise. Leg lifts arm swings simple ones like that.
    Try to hit their back with cupped hands like they do for cystic fibrosis.
    Measure oxygen levels with an oximeter. One sign you may have this is your oxygen level in your blood goes down. It can go down even when you are feeling fine. For some they don't notice this until they are in real trouble. Having this data is valuable if they do end up going to the hospital.
    You can order Oxygen if it is needed.
    Using a spirometer to help improve lung function.
    Deep breathing exercise where your arms to your ears and breathe through your nose if possible and out through mouth while
    having abdomen expand.

Things to have ready...
    oximeter
    spirometer
    A thermometer.
    Masks (for when people come to the door or you need to leave for blood draws and medical assessment).
    Hand sanitizer.
    Kleenex—bring a trash can near the bed, so it’s easy to dispose of used tissues.
    Sanitizing wipes or spray and paper towel.
    A box or basket in which you can put all your medications so you don’t misplace them. In our case that included hydroxycholroquine, azithromycin (to prevent bacterial pneumonia from developing), zinc supplements, aspirin (a regular 325 mg tablet twice a day to counter micro-emboli), and eventually prednisone (a steroid prescribed later in Mark’s illness to reduce inflammation once the virus is attacking the lung ). Have Tylenol or another acetaminophen product available to treat fever — some studies have shown that ibuprofen can exacerbate COVID and while they’re still preliminary, it makes sense to use an alternative out of caution.
    A measuring cup for measuring liquids (aim for about eight 8-oz cups of liquid daily — water, tea, etc. — if kidneys and heart are functioning well) Gatorade or a similar electrolyte drink is also a good choice.
    Pillows of all shapes and sizes—you’ll probably want them to help make the patient comfortable, especially on his or her stomach.
    A Starbucks-type reusable cup with a top and a bendable straw. Staying hydrated is very important, and it’s easy for the patient to inadvertently tip over a cup, which is frustrating and creates unnecessary messes that can be difficult to clean, especially if someone is tired and hard to move out of bed. They also may need to be drinking while lying down, and a bendy straw makes this possible.
    A notebook to record important information (more on that below).
    A basket to keep cards you are receiving from friends, perhaps with stationery and a pen to write responses if you have the opportunity.
    Extra sheets—night fevers and sweating may mean you want to change the sheets and you’ll want to have them ready to do so quickly when the patient is up.

In notebook keep track of meds , movement, fluids, and food intake.

I did order an oximeter today and I will see if I ordered one before they sold out.
    After I finish this I will try to order a spirometer.

I hope none of us have to use the suggestions this woman had to do with her husband. I did post her story to my timeline so I would have it if I needed it.

Comments about post..

Janet Simpson Traun
    She cautioned about hydoxycholorquine.
    9 hrs ·
    💙
    With diagnosis of COVID-19, your chances of surviving the illness will depend on your ability to gather your resources, make a plan, and adapt.

Deb Keith Janet Simpson Traun Yes, I heard this and will not ever take it! Zpac is also on my allergy list because it makes my heart misbehave!

Kelly Riemer Cusick
    Kelly Riemer Cusick I've watched quite a few interesting videos in the last week from holistic doctors who are having a lot of success with their patients.
    Don't have the link, but one was an interview with a specific patient who truly thought he was about to die. Four days later he was discussing his own recovery with this doctor, and obviously was profoundly grateful for the treatment protocols that he'd followed at home. I didn't take notes, but I think they mentioned high doses of Vitamin C & D, (maybe magnesium, also?) as well as NOT taking either advil or tylenol, (there was a very specific & detailed explanation of why that was important) and there was also a reference to using a nebulizer somehow.
    I've also seen a video from a doctor in NYC who said the specific way this virus affects the lungs is more like altitude sickness than traditional pneumonia, and as a result, the settings for using a ventilator are very important; he was extremely concerned that this aspect of the Covid19 situation is not being noticed or considered widely enough.