Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    >:)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara: Thanks for the information about Oregon changes. It seems like there are some positives.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am really trying to get back into the swing of things. Working at home has made me VERY lazy. I started out getting up on time, getting dressed for work, fixing my hair and doing my make up and well, don't know what happened. I think it's a good idea for me to do though, if I don't I find I want to just sit around. Not mess around with doing this or that, but just sitting on my butt!

Barbie: I saw a few pages back you have tulips. Do they spread? I just planted bulbs last fall for the first time and they were slower to emerge and smaller than everyone else's but I figure that's because it's their first year.

I will make all efforts to get here tomorrow!

Take care Meg from Omaha
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,228 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    1. Where are you from originally?
    Born and bred in the City of Belfast. Now live in a seaside town about 15 miles from where I was brought up.
    2. Do you eat breakfast? If so, what did you eat today?
    Either blueberries or raspberries, vanilla soy yogurt and milled flaxseed with Gogi berries and nuts.
    3. Do you prefer to dine in, carry out, or cook at home?
    Dine in.
    4. Favorite Girl Scout Cookie?
    Don't have those in U.K.
    5. Do you listen to music when you work?
    I'm retired, but do listen to music as I do my chores.
    6. What is your favorite sonic drink?No idea. I drink water, coffee or tea
    7. What is your favorite board/card game? Mahjong or Scrabble.
    8. What are your favorite podcasts?
    not really into podcasts
    9. What is your dream sandwich?
    Smoked salmon on wholemeal granary bread, or mock crab (chopped egg, tomato, pickled onion)
    10. What makes you gag? Hairs or fishbones in my food.
    11. What are your hobbies? Many and various.
    12. What is one thing that can make your day instantly better? My DH.
    13. What was the best vacation/trip you ever took and why? A cruise from Durban, South Africa to Genoa, Italy via the Seychelles, Mauritius, Jordan, Egypt, Pompeii. We learnt to dance the Argentine tango, were attacked by pirates, and visited the Pyramids at Giza.
    14. If you were an animal, what animal would you be? I'm a tiger! Arrrr!
    15. At a party, where can someone find you? on the dance floor.

☘️ Terri

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Amber
    i think i'm going to see if i can get a cable, to not use wifi. apparently that might help with connection.

@Heather i agree zoom is tiring somehow, more than regular classes. i think more than regular classes plus transport. this thing of having to stay in same place and position and look at screen all the time. in regular life we can move around, stand sit change positions, not look in same direction all the time.

@Kim i am surprised they are requiring masks outside in public spaces, thought surely that's the case in asian cities. i go for a walk in the city but when not near people sometimes i pull down my mask. many people do the same. you can't smell the air and feel the wind and now that it's getting hot it's a bit uncomfortable. being out in public spaces is the only experience of being outside for people with no yard (living in apartments or condos w no yard). i have a balcony but on 6th floor it's nice but not connected to trees and earth.

@Tracey was it your choice or theirs that you go to the dance? i can imagine a scenario where the tten insists she wants to go to see her friends. (school dances were not very 'in' in my crowd back then but presumably they were "in" for some crowds as some people went to them.
    Gas was so cheap back then relatively speaking. My impression is that people spent less on clothes, eating out, vacations, etc, but driving, or driving around was a given. As a teen i never remember gas money being an issue and we used to drive around a fair bit.

@Good move to buy a dozen books before shutdown.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Where are you located (approximately)?
    Paris, France

What are some of your favourite hobbies/sports/activities?
    I like reading a novel in the sun on the balcony now that we are in confinement.

What takes up most of your day?
    A lot of time on teaching tasks. Zoom, prep zoom etc.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Heather noone knows when or if we ll have a vaccine. Pres Macron spoke about vaccine related to back to normal life in his last (rare) talk and that was disheartening (because of the uncertainty of vaccine). If you and/or they are found to be immune then touching would be much less risky. what kind of dancing do you do?

@Sharon, you live in a nudist residential place? It sounds relaxing and like you really enjoy it.

@SuzyQ gift card is a nice idea. i too would prefer an antibody test. i think i have at least 60% chance of having had it.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies!

What a day. :s
    Smoke alarm started chirping this morning at 1 am. Low battery, I thought. Even tho I replaced it yesterday morning when it first chirped. DH couldn't hear it while he was sleeping and I didn't want to get up and make noise in the hallway trying to figure out the problem. Chirp. Chirp. Put in headphones, stayed in bed and listened to the radio. Slept a wee bit. Chirp. Chirp. Dogs scared. Chirp.

Finally said heck with it and got a step stool and removed the battery. IT STILL CHIRPED - wired in with 4 others. When DH got up at 6:30 he got after it and unhooked it from the wires and I put it on the counter. IT STILL CHIRPED. Then another one started chirping even though I had everything turned off at the circuit breaker. He pulled that one from the ceiling and it gave a few more weak chirps with its little buddy who started it it.

All batteries removed, the capacitors finally exhausted themselves and the things shut up. I guess. I stuck them in a closet in the garage and they can chirp forever for all I care. Another thing to have the electrician look at when we get ready to sell this place. In the meantime I'll get a First Alert and stick it at the end of the hall next time I'm in town.

Margaret - thank you for the patient care information. <3 I copied it down. I keep hearing varied stories about the hydroxychloroquine - I hope people are taking it if their doctors prescribe it and not buying it off the internet. Just for kicks I googled it and immediately spotted an online pharmacy in KY which will sell it to people who have a prescription from an MD and proof they have the virus - of course folks with RA, Lupus, etc who have been using can continue. Which tells me it's becoming recognized in treatment of this new virus. And must be doing more good than harm for many folks.

That reminds me, I forgot to ask about it when I went to our clinic this morning to get my last allergy shot. If I become super miserable from allergies this summer I'll get a Kenalog shot.

The nurse told me they can now do the virus antibody test. Cost is $55. And she didn't know how long it took to get the results.

Rebecca - I LOVE your engagement ring! So gorgeous and unique! Mine is a simple small diamond that came from a PX in Okinawa with matching wedding band. DH sent it to me in the mail during his last stint over there before he left the USMC. Is that romantic or what? :D I actually thought it was just fine!

Kylia - is there a social worker that works for Hospice that you, your DH and family could talk to? Or just the nurse? I found them quite helpful when my folks were in Hospice, not that the nurses weren't great. Perhaps you've already mentioned and I skipped it.

OK ladies, early to bed tonight. Have a good evening! <3B)

Lanette
    Rainy/sunny strange looking weather in SW WA State (April is F-1 tornado weather in these parts.)

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    in answer to Lisa's work post

Where are you from originally?
    Boston suburbs
    2. Do you eat breakfast? If so, what did you eat today?
    Always. mix: Protein cereal, soy yogurt, soy milk, apple sauce, 100 per cent fruit jam, v small banana, green tea
    3. Do you prefer to dine in, carry out, or cook at home?
    mostly at home, carry out occasionally dine out once in a while.
    4. Favorite Girl Scout Cookie?
    Have not had one in ages. I used to like chocolate mint ones. Now i'm intolerant to gluten. if they have GF ones those would be my favorites now.
    5. Do you listen to music when you work?
    Not usually, i find it distracting.
    6. What is your favorite sonic drink?
    What it a sonic drink?
    7. What is your favorite board/card game?
    at present i play spades online. we used to play apples to apples with family.
    8. What is your favorite podcast?
    The one my students made last week about their experience during confinement!
    9. What is your dream sandwich?
    GF chestnut soy bread, romaine lettuce, avocado and eggs/tahini with some seeds and spices thrown on lightly.
    10. What makes you gag?
    Tripe, poor quality take away meat
    11. What are your hobbies?
    read, walk
    12. What is one thing that can make your day instantly better?
    a smile
    13. What was the best vacation/trip you ever took and why?
    It's hard to say 'best" but what came to mind first: I have nice memories of a road trip in croatia around 2010, mostly along the coast.
    14. If you were an animal, what animal would you be?
    A cat, sleeps a lot, a bit superficially vain and proud and cuddly and purry and playful and sometimes indepeneant in going about daily life but still deeply connected.
    15. At a party, where can someone find you?
    Sitting talking in depth with someone a new person or someone i haven't seen for a long time at length.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Lanette - I know that was not funny this morning at all... but there was a Friends episode quite similar, and I just kept seeing you cussing at the fire alarm in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/4tkY08MhfoU
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Michele are you able to get the lower back pain checked out? pre confinement i would often go to an osteopath for basic pains and that often (but not always) did the trick.

The GP said it's probably ringworm or lyme disease and i should consult a dermatologist (only online at present). so i made an appointment with one and i'm going to try to get a good picture to send to her.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    Uuuu
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @heather its possible to buy some of stuff online elsewhere. a friend (who works at a bank!) boycots amazon. i tend to find other solutions when possible and use amazon (not unusually) as a last ditch.
    recently i bought: cell phone and sneakers with other outlets; floor fan, elastics, wrong cables, book from amazon.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Lanette - I know that was not funny this morning at all... but there was a Friends episode quite similar, and I just kept seeing you cussing at the fire alarm in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/4tkY08MhfoU

Lisa - YES! That was me! I was down to either praying over them and sprinkling with holy water to get the devil out or throwing them in the freezer. They kept chattering like Chuckie dolls and didn't even have batteries in them.

:D:D:D
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    In our case that included hydroxycholroquine,

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2020/04/23/eu-malaria-drugs-used-for-virus-could-cause-side-effects/
    "LONDON (AP) — The European Union’s medicines regulator has warned countries that malaria drugs being used experimentally to treat the new coronavirus have potentially serious side effects, including seizures and heart problems.

The European Medicines Agency said in a statement that chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine — two medicines embraced by U.S. President Donald Trump and others as a potential COVID-19 treatment — are known to cause heart rhythm problems, especially if combined with other drugs."

and there was also a reference to using a nebulizer somehow.

From my experience with nebulizers, if you've reached that point, you'd want to be in the hospital.

Machka in Oz