WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Ok, here are the answers to these questions:

Where are you located (approximately)? Southern California

What are some of your favourite hobbies/sports/activities? I like to run, hike, travel, read, SCUBA dive, spend time with my family, taste good food, wine, and beer, cook, sit outside and enjoy the sunshine.

What takes up most of your day? Working, exercising, cooking and cleaning the kitchen; not necessarily in that order.

Tina in CA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Annie - I wholeheartedly agree. Twenty years ago it was almost impossible to get good tomatoes unless you grew them yourself. Nowdays there are many gorgeous ones on sale.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Tere in RVA: I am so sorry about your family losses. :heart: :broken_heart:

Tina: DH wanted me to give you a chocolate cake recipe that doesn’t require boxed products. It uses Bob’s Redmill Gluten Free baking flour, and your own chocolate cake recipe. The gluten-free flour is the only substitution I make. Here is my recipe:

Black Bottom Cake:

3 c sifted gluten free all-purpose flour (Bobs)
    2 c sugar
    ½ c cocoa
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 c water
    2/3 C cooking oil
    2 tbsp vinegar
    2 tsp vanilla

Sift dry ingredients together. Stir in remaining ingredients. Beat until well combined. For cupcakes, bake at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes. Cake is done when knife or toothpick comes out clean. We usually use a cake pan instead of cupcakes and use a toothpick to check doneness. I seem to overbake the cupcakes a bit but my cake pan comes out better.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Thank you! I'll try it.
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    So we ventured into the topic of food ...

What are your top three (or 4 or 5) favourite foods or meals?

M in Oz

This is a very difficult question. I like so many things and from so many cultures. I make an excellent paprika chicken that actually won an "impress the chef" competition back in February, but it's "just" chicken. I love mac & cheese in various forms, but rarely have it. I also love curries, but also rarely have them.

I love food from my travels the most.

This is like picking a favorite sibling.

Tina in CA
  • sh0tzz99
    Options
    Annie - I wholeheartedly agree. Twenty years ago it was almost impossible to get good tomatoes unless you grew them yourself. Nowdays there are many gorgeous ones on sale.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

We cannot buy good tomatoes in regular markets here. They are generally flavorless. The farmer's market food is just way too expensive.
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Don't get me started on the subject of food. :o

Oh, go on then. :D

Generally I love anything savoury. Spicy. Garlicky. Hot. Sour. I love "off" flavours. Oysters. Mussels. Stinky, runny cheese. Fermented foods. Pulses. Gone off cheese and butter. Creme fraiche. Good basmati rice. Good sourdough bread.
    And I also love extremely sugary, burnt flavours like caramel and butterscotch. Real fudge, not commercial.

And drink. A very bitter real ale draught beer. A good red wine. A vintage champagne with a caramel edge.

As I said, don't get me started! :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Heather, your tastes are very eclectic, not just ho hum middle of the road tastes.😁
    And that's why we love ya!
    💖Rebecca
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Annie-So true I find farm grown tomatoes 🍅 to oranges 🍊 are sooo much sweeter with so much flavor. Same with farm fresh free range chickens 🐓 to ducks the meat to eggs flavors are better. I tried once a farm fresh pumpkin baked the seeds every seed packed a punch 🥊 of flavors!

Trying the new app found a map trail to add . Finding like when I walk a real trail in the past knowing someone ahead of me brings out my competitive side! I gotta pass them! So looks like a great app for me. If you want to do it can add me I got a kiddy game avatar to make me easier to find. Amber Vazquez in the find friends. Don’t worry my kid avi wearing its white mask 😷 lol virtual safety first.Works turned off in my pocket it hooks up to your phones step counter.MFP can hook up to your phone counter maybe this app too. “Walk the Distance “ app https://apps.apple.com/us/app/walk-the-distance/id634548793
    en28i8mmpskb.png
    akjbpwyl0sqgo.png
    15sd8r11n7yv.jpeg

Amber Tx
  • IAmPamK
    IAmPamK Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    AMBER Did something similar a couple of years ago think it was Walking to Gondor (Lords of the Rings)

Did roast chicken today with roast Mediterranean veg lots of olive oil and sesame seeds and roast potatoes Greek style (Olive oil water and oregano. )
    DH loves this. You all know I don’t like cooking, think it’s more that I don’t like standing over stuff. Going with the Greek theme (I love Greek food) we’ve got a half leg of lamb in the freezer. Next week I will do lamb kleftiko in the slow cooker.

For newcomers I am 75 in a couple of weeks married for 55 years in June. I am retired now was a college librarian before I retired. I had my 2 children at a young age, went to work part time while they were growing up. Went back to education in my 40sand graduated university.
    I read, knit, sew, do crosswords, exercise and doing a huge jigsaw during our lockdown
    Although I don’t like cooking I love eating I’ll try most things but DH is very conservative
    I live in NW England in big city which I love

Kate xxx

HI Kate, Pam in Louisiana here. You look amazing. I'm going to be 65 in July and look older. Would you mind being friends on here? I'm sure I can learn a thing or two from someone like you.

Thanks,
    Pam (aka NavyWife55)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Kate- Yours sounds fun too! Lord of the Rings walking app feels mysterious

Amber Tx

Up to 1.5 miles on my app finally getting a clear view of my daily walks. Before JR I walked 3 miles on a walking trail when I got a chance which was 4-7 days a week
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Hey there Pam! I am a retired Chief's wife here.💖. 3 son's youngest (21) has been in 3 years, middle son and his wife (25) did their respective 4 years, and eldest (30) has been in 13 years.👍. Nice to meet you!😁
    Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette & Heather: If seriously ill or wounded, I would be inclined to give a medication a fair trial, whether old tried & true or new, promising and experimental. DH is currently in a situation that is similar to what we’ve been discussing. He is under doctors care. New medicine was getting some good results but they decided to add the old medicine, too. So far, so good.

Katla
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Kate UK - Your Greek style meals sound wonderful. Love that type of food. I used to live in Camden Town in London where, along with the Irish, the Greek Cypriot community was strong. Spent a lot of time in Greek restaurants in my twenties. One place we used to go to served "Lamb, bins and bins". That was kleftiko with green beans and white haricot beans. :D

Just watched my elder son broadcasting his AATV live on Utube. It's still on there for anyone curious to watch. Tom 'Anvil' Hibberd. He is looking at Russian ration packs with his friend Gadge. He is always so happy when he is talking about food. I wonder where he gets that from. :o:D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx