WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    My favorite foods:
    A good hearty soup with that oil sheen on top, with potayoes, wild rice, chicken or kielbasa sausage.
    Biscuits and sausage gravy
    Fresh spinach with cranberries, almonds, and blue cheese crumbles, and dressing a bright citrus, or balsamic.
    Smoked salmon, with hearty crackers, cream cheese, or cheddar.
    Oatmeal cooked with milk, cubes of apples in it. Blobs of butter pressed in, with brown sugar. A moat of milk around.
    Creamy fried eggs with country fried hash browns, and toast with honey.

Favorite drinks:
    Coffee
    hot Spicy chai tea with milk in it.
    Crystal Ice bottles, grapfruit, black cherry, lemonade
    Chocolate milk

I'm such a food snob now.😂😂
    💖Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: Congrats on your wonderful adult children. Mine are wonderful, too. We are both blessed. :heart:

Pam AKA NavyWife55: Welcome to a great group! There are others with navy connections. :star:

Lanette: I’d also be willing to try another option if I was in pain and there was a possibility for improvement. All of us are 100% likely to die someday. We hope it happens in the long-term future and is pain free. My DH is currently taking a new/old medicine that he and his doctor hope will help him live longer and more comfortably. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the medicine will help him feel better and be worth his effort to try. So far it seems to be helping. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: I could be very happy with your favorite foods. Your list and mine are very similar. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Lisa in AR, I think I read somewhere that to name a fear is to breathe life into it. No wonder it has no name.

Sharon Near Seattle
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - That worked. Gorgeous. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Lisa and Tere So sorry for your losses. Hugs and warm thoughts.

Machka Top foods
    Homemade chicken with fluffy dumplings
    My Aunt Sally's Lasagna
    Fresh tomatos any way
    Chocolate Mousse

I guess I only have those....food has never been a big issue for me. I ate because I had to. My mother would actually salivate at food descriptions. I do know that the only thing i really like about eating out is choices. I generally prefer to eat at home. Husband is burgers and fries.

Kylia
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

I am grateful for....
    • Another healthy day of life.
    • The rain we are having this weekend.
    • The quiet of an early morning.
    • A full pantry and loaded refrigerator and freezer.

A little slow this morning which is actually good. I have not had an inactive day in quite some time. I think in my effort to put covid-19 thoughts out of my head I have been moving from one thing to the next. I will be nice to have some down time.

Hugs and prayers to all.
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Machka I love refried beans and guacamole. I like avocados sliced in sandwiches too. Last nights dinner was line tortilla chips, leftover refried beans, guacamole, pico de gallo, and some grilled chicken breast. Yummy! Husband wasn't hungry, was I was creative.

Kylia
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Hi
    TOMATOES: I had no idea that many people really disliked tomatoes. I used to love a really good garden-fresh or similar tomato and avoid all off-season, or sad excuses for tomatoes. Then about 3 yrs ago my accupunturist, a 60+ Asian medical dr told me to avoid tomatoes (among other things) as, according to him: too acid. So i have and i don't miss them much. I remember my mom's garden tomatoes, some great tomatoes bought in italy and a few things like that. Sauce: Ok but in small doses. Not actually my favorite. I worked once in a common kitchen and the rule was something like: no tomato sauce sort of thing more than every 3-4 days due to acidity on stomach.

A LOT OF US WOULD BE CATS

Yesterday i asked students what they might have discovered or learned. Some: really nothing they said, they are just waiting in their room, and doing their best to make it. Others said they learned to bake some new deserts, others: reading, others doing more sports at home...
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    Too hard to say top 3 or 4 or 5 meals or foods.
    But i can say what comes to mind now.
    (1) I really like my breakfast: combo of just a little unsweetened cereal (often high protein), possibly coconut powder, seeds, soy yogurt, soy milk, banana slices, sometimes berries, sometimes a spoon of apple sauce, sometimes gomasio. it tends to vary from day to day and it seems like a good protein-y fruity beginning. (2) Green tea: i know it's not a food, but i love to drink a pot. it wakes me up slightly and it has no calories and is comforting to start the day or for afternoon break on non-confinement days. (3) I just had a pastry with meringue, cream and berries from the bakery. A lovely naturally GF desert i can still enjoy. Very pretty and tasty. (4) Veggie soup w beans and curry and coconut powder, (different variations). Healthy, comforting, tasty. (5) Toasted chestnut-rice-soy bread with olive oil and salt (a recent pleasure), small dense slices.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Heather they were not advising masks here and now they are talking about requiring them on the subway (probably). Same in NYC. They were not recommended and then suddenly they were recommended. I think the non-recommendation is related to shortage which is understandable. here there were not enough for health care professionals so they were discouraging the general population from wearing them. Then they promised free cloth masks for all 2 million parisians a few weeks ago within a couple of days. didn't deliver. Now masks (not sue which kind) promised for May.

@HEather, i checked out the video. nice. i had never even heard of a ration pack. i'm admirative of people able to to youtube channels. i can now teach modest classes on zoom but i'm not the right person to do a youtube channel. I'm impressed by people who can be pretty natural and at ease in front of the camera.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Tere I'm sorry for your losses.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Terri lobster is high on my list too.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @ginnytez nice to hear from you.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @heather & @Michele, living in central paris i never go out w/out a mask. most days i go for a walk. if i walk early and cross few people i often have it pulled down. if i go into a shop or cross people or if it's late in the day i have it more up. it's hard to have it up 100% of time outside, can't smell or feel anything that way. and with warmer weather it's too much.

@ah, whole categories of food makes it more generous! i did think of avocados, but i eat them less and less as they are more and more expensive. i know that is not the question (and i did include lobster in list B, which is not cheaper than avocado).
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    the dermatologist thinks i may have shingles! the GP seen live and present had suggested ringworm or lyme's and suggested i send a photo to dermatologist (only online appointments re possible for dermatologists at present). the dermatologist said, no a bug bite. then when she realized there were two she thought it could be shingles and prescribed medication that one has to take quickly. both she and the nice pharmacist said there are on side effects if i don't have shingles. What a pain in the butt. (pun intended).

Went for a nice walk after that. as positive as i have been trying to be about it (discovering new little streets and paths) i'm getting bored with my 1km radius that i'm allowed to walk in. There is one path i take less often which i save for a sort of a different day (it's not better its just different) which i took today. it was ok. i was less into it than some days.

i enjoyed reading on the balcony to start the day. that is about the best part of the day at present.