May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    I am signed up for a 25K trail race tomorrow in MS. But yesterday, started having stomach issues that ended up ruining my run. Similar to what I have had before, but more severe. Anyway, I ate lunch yesterday and was contemplating whether I eat today at all. I decided it can't be much worse than what I am experiencing, so I may as well. Had a small meal as my last before the race. I hate runner's stomach. :(

At some point I will catch up my ticker for last night and Wed.
    Imodium helps. Don’t get dehydrated, remember you lose potassium with watery stools. Banana, Gatorade , taters, (not fried). Best of luck!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy
    5-4 rest
    5-5 7k moderate
    5-6 7k moderate
    5-7 7k moderate
    5-8 7k easy
    5-9 11k slow
    5-10 7k moderate
    5-11 rest
    5-12 7k moderate
    5-13 7k moderate
    5-14 7k thresholdy
    5-15 7k easy

May Total: 99k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Partly cloudy, mid 60s F, with a nice cooling breeze out of the southwest. Legs knew they worked hard yesterday, so they sulked today.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
    9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    I am signed up for a 25K trail race tomorrow in MS. But yesterday, started having stomach issues that ended up ruining my run. Similar to what I have had before, but more severe. Anyway, I ate lunch yesterday and was contemplating whether I eat today at all. I decided it can't be much worse than what I am experiencing, so I may as well. Had a small meal as my last before the race. I hate runner's stomach. :(

Imodium helps. Don’t get dehydrated, remember you lose potassium with watery stools. Banana, Gatorade , taters, (not fried). Best of luck!

My specific cause of issues isn't actually something that loperamide / imodium can help, unfortunately. And I don't eat plants, but you know I am supplementing electrolytes as always. I will make it work.
  • Elise4270
    Options

My specific cause of issues isn't actually something that loperamide / imodium can help, unfortunately. And I don't eat plants, but you know I am supplementing electrolytes as always. I will make it work.

Well I knew you didn’t eat veggies. For some reason at a glance I thought it was @Tramboman. You can see I don’t spend enough time with you guys anymore. Better a runners stomach than a ... er... uhhh.... twisted femur! Haha! Sorry ‘bout the belly ache. Hope your trail race is spectacular.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Well I knew you didn’t eat veggies. For some reason at a glance I thought it was @Tramboman. You can see I don’t spend enough time with you guys anymore. Better a runners stomach than a ... er... uhhh.... twisted femur! Haha! Sorry ‘bout the belly ache. Hope your trail race is spectacular.

It isn't happening. Just got an email from the RD, who had a phone call from the US Forest Service, and it is going to have to be postponed. The trails are open for all of us to run if we want, they just are not going to allow it to be an official event.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,111 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner Good luck with your race tomorrow Sorry they aren't allowing an official race. Are you going to run anyway? Hope your stomach gets better either way.

@bearly63 Yeah. Dad is doing great at 88. It was kind of sad to see how quickly he got tired yesterday, but he is still going strong. They planted some garden (used the tiller) and mowed their lawn today. Mom's 84. I hope I have their good genes.

• Elise4270
    Options

It isn't happening. Just got an email from the RD, who had a phone call from the US Forest Service, and it is going to have to be postponed. The trails are open for all of us to run if we want, they just are not going to allow it to be an official event.

Well. Poops. Haha!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner Good luck with your race tomorrow Sorry they aren't allowing an official race. Are you going to run anyway? Hope your stomach gets better either way.

@quilteryoyo If I run tomorrow, it won't be there. No point in driving down for that. I'll probably stay home and do some more online education. I've got some things I want to learn for work.
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    May 14th- 1.6 miles
    May 15th- 0.9

27.03/50.03 miles complete
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner I'm sorry about the race being cancelled, but very surprised they let it go to the day before to figure this out! Anyway, I hope you feel better.

@katharmonic It was not the RD's decision. It sounds like everyone was good with it until someone in the national USFS got wind of it and put a stop to it.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Faebert wrote: »
    Morning all. Congrats on finishing the race series @rheddmobile! Hope @T1DCarnivoreRunner is feeling better.
    @Avidkeo - seems like you are in such a great groove with your running right now. You are smashing this marathon training! @bearly63 - I do that with my shoes! Have been trying to find models with reinforcement rather than just mesh/knit over the toe area. I will have to look up phalanges now!

A slightly longer run for me today but I’m pleased it was still under 11min mile average pace. I’m now well over my halfway target halfway through the month (how is it mid May already??)

Awww thanks! And phalanges are just the medical name for toe bones. Opposed to tarsals and metatarsals which are the bones in your feet. (showing off now)
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Faebert wrote: »
    Morning all. Congrats on finishing the race series @ rheddmobile! Hope @ T1DCarnivoreRunner is feeling better.
    @Avidkeo - seems like you are in such a great groove with your running right now. You are smashing this marathon training! @bearly63 - I do that with my shoes! Have been trying to find models with reinforcement rather than just mesh/knit over the toe area. I will have to look up phalanges now!

A slightly longer run for me today but I’m pleased it was still under 11min mile average pace. I’m now well over my halfway target halfway through the month (how is it mid May already??)

Awww thanks! And phalanges are just the medical name for toe bones. Opposed to tarsals and metatarsals which are the bones in your feet. (showing off now)

My DD is gearing up for Anatomy class and I was showing her some resources I had, a virtual and interactive body map and was showing her head/face bones-including the zygomatic bone. she said "WHAT?, we have a bone called the zygomatic? that's nuts". Not running related, unless you face plant. I thought sphenoid was way more fun to say than zygomatic. or cuboid, talus, acromion and coracoid process, or xiphoid. silly bones.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic You really did splash through the mud, didn't you?! :lol: Sorry your run sort of sucked, but glad it was sort of fun too. Getting caught in the rain like that can be fun. Last time it happened to me I started singing and dancing. Might as well make the best of it.

@Avidkeo Yeah for the good, long run! That looks like a wonderful place to run. The mountain is gorgeous. And having a lunch with family is always nice. I heard they re-opened NZ. How's that going?

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile congrats on finishing your race series! Well done! The dinner and your friend sound wonderful.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner I'm sorry about the race being cancelled, but very surprised they let it go to the day before to figure this out! Anyway, I hope you feel better.

@Tramboman have we discussed why 7k for your runs? Lucky number?

@quilteryoyo a recovery run is always a good choice, even if you think you don't have anything to recover from. Mowing is hard work though, so perfectly good justification.

@shanaber great job exceeding your low goal already! Good luck with your increased goal!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/20 :::: 16.2 :::: 16.2
    05/02/20 :::: 24.1 :::: 40.3
    05/03/20 :::: 8.0 :::: 48.3
    05/04/20 :::: 2.1 :::: 50.4
    05/05/20 :::: 2.3 :::: 52.7
    05/06/20 :::: 1.8 :::: 54.6
    05/07/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 58.6
    05/08/20 :::: 5.3 :::: 63.8
    05/09/20 :::: 1.6 :::: 65.4
    05/10/20 :::: 6.7 :::: 72.2
    05/11/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 77.2
    05/12/20 :::: 5.4 :::: 82.6
    05/13/20 :::: 5.4 :::: 87.9
    05/14/20 :::: 5.5 :::: 93.4
    05/15/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 98.5

I think I have whiplash from the sudden transition from winter to summer. Just yesterday I was saying how tired I was of being cold. Today I wanted to take that back. It was only about 75 degrees, but I'm definitely not used to it and it was pretty humid! Thunderstorms were coming in for the afternoon, so went to get a trail run in around 12:30 to hopefully beat that. Which we did, but I was kind of wishing it would rain. I haven't run on these trails before but have hiked and cross-country skied there. There was a lot of mud and a lot of hills. The main trail has a 10 mile loop which (fortunately) we didn't have time to do today, so we did a shortcut version and then a couple of loops of a 1-mile trail to finish up to 5.

During most of the run I felt like compared to the two people I was with that I was so slow and sucking wind, and I was fairly down and discouraged. Like I have no business being signed up for the really hard Spartan races I am signed up for this summer and fall (if they happen). Especially because the heat was killing me, but it was not THAT hot, how am I going to handle it? But despite all the self doubt, I finished all the same and actually felt more OK about my effort at the end. Each of the three times we came out of the trails back to the lodge area we went through an archway, so I couldn't resist giving it a kick for the last bit and through the finish line all three times. Which also include stomping through some major mud instead of carefully navigating around it. That part was fun and a good test of my newish Saloman Speedcross shoes that I was just saying I hadn't tried out much. I liked them.
    8nbn7paa0cgm.jpg

So overall, it was hot, hard, discouraging, and yet fun. On the way home I felt like my efforts deserved a treat. As I passed by a little walk-up ice cream stand I saw by some miracle it wasn't very busy so I whipped into the lot and got in the social distancing line. I had a snickers flurry (like a Dairy Queen blizzard) and enjoyed the heck out of it. It felt even more like the first day of summer!

It hadn't started to rain yet so I took Stella out for a walk when I got home. Of course time ran out and we got POURED on for the last 1/2 mile. It was laughable how hard it started to rain and poor Stella and I broke into a jog and ran through what seemed like a river in the street. A neighbor on their porch sweetly offered an umbrella but it was truly beyond any efforts to not get soaked. Again, terrible but kind of fun.

Each lap around the condo development is 3.5 k. I add a little extra loop for when I do 3 laps (11k).