May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Ugh, I really don't want to switch to another run tracking app, but it looks as if it might be in our future.

5/1: 2m
    5/2: 8m
    5/3: 18m
    5/4: 1.75m
    5/5: 5m
    5/6: 5m
    5/7: 5.25m
    5/8: 2.5m
    5/9: 8m
    5/10: 13m
    5/11: 2m
    5/12: 5m, 6.5m
    5/13: 8m
    5/14: 1.25m,
    5/15:1.25m, 6.75m
    5/16: 15.5m
    5/17: 20m
    5/18: 2.5m
    5/19: 5m
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 have fun shoe shopping, I have found at least at our Fleet Feet they are very honest and don't recommend just the most expensive. When they recommended the Launchs to me they said "and they are cheaper!". ha ha
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    A lot of us use Strava, and if that is you, it sounds like they are in real financial trouble:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/strava-cuts-off-leaderboard-for-free-users-reduces-3rd-party-apps-for-all-and-more.html

I received an email from Strava this morning encouraging me to subscribe. I only usually Strava as a social platform to keep up and encourage my runner friends. If the changes make it not possible to do that, I will just delete it. I'm not competitive and could care less about the leaderboard feature.
    @PastorVincent Ugh, I really don't want to switch to another run tracking app, but it looks as if it might be in our future.

I suspect more and more apps are going to go this way. "Ad-supported" just is not viable long term.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @bearly63 have fun shoe shopping, I have found at least at our Fleet Feet they are very honest and don't recommend just the most expensive. When they recommended the Launchs to me they said "and they are cheaper!". ha ha

When I went to be fitted, the first shoes the guy brought me to try on were Brooks Glycerins. I tried them on cause I'd been wanting a pair for ages (still do), then explained they were out of my price range and he happily went off the bring me a few cheaper options. The ones I finally chose were about 140€ compared to 160€ for the Glycerins, BUT I've only ever paid full price for them that one time, and they knocked the 20€ fitting charge off. Ever since I've looked out for half price offers to bag new pairs :-D
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    A lot of us use Strava, and if that is you, it sounds like they are in real financial trouble:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/05/strava-cuts-off-leaderboard-for-free-users-reduces-3rd-party-apps-for-all-and-more.html

I received an email from Strava this morning encouraging me to subscribe. I only usually Strava as a social platform to keep up and encourage my runner friends. If the changes make it not possible to do that, I will just delete it. I'm not competitive and could care less about the leaderboard feature.

Same, I basically use Strava to stalk my local runner heroes!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent and others - I've been paying the membership for Strava because I like the features and wanted to support it. But I hate to see the free version made more limited and have people leave, and I wonder about the future of it at all. I think they are not handling this well - they should be adding features to attract subscribers not cutting features for the free version, maybe offering a cheaper level of subscription alternatively. I don't really care about leaderboards myself and am very much not in the competitive ranks other than with myself - that's what I like to track over time. But I do think it's fun to have groups and follow people to see what they are up to.
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I ran 6.5 miles today and it was a glorious run! Today was just one of those runs that is the reason I love running.

@kgirlhart that's the best! Glad you had such a great run today.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    05/01/20 :::: 16.2 :::: 16.2
    05/02/20 :::: 24.1 :::: 40.3
    05/03/20 :::: 8.0 :::: 48.3
    05/04/20 :::: 2.1 :::: 50.4
    05/05/20 :::: 2.3 :::: 52.7
    05/06/20 :::: 1.8 :::: 54.6
    05/07/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 58.6
    05/08/20 :::: 5.3 :::: 63.8
    05/09/20 :::: 1.6 :::: 65.4
    05/10/20 :::: 6.7 :::: 72.2
    05/11/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 77.2
    05/12/20 :::: 5.4 :::: 82.6
    05/13/20 :::: 5.4 :::: 87.9
    05/14/20 :::: 5.5 :::: 93.4
    05/15/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 98.5
    05/16/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 101.5
    05/17/20 :::: 11.0 :::: 112.5
    05/18/20 :::: 2.0 :::: 114.6
    05/19/20 :::: 3.6 :::: 118.2

It's a pretty fab day here too. 61 degrees and a little breezy. I did a hill workout so my run was not quite so glorious. Ran up the hill halfway, jogged down, all the way up, jogged down, and repeat with 5 burpees at every turnaround just to add to the torture. The full hill was about .27 miles of not terribly steep but gradual uphill grade on a paved path beside practice fields at a local high school that are kind of terraced on this big hill. After we did about 3 miles worth of that, the "finisher" was to run on the grass up the steep hills between fields all the way up and back down. Now *those* hills were steep. We did it barefoot and it felt like being a little kid again, especially running back down and feeling kind of out of control. Luckily I did not wipe out or twist an ankle, as I am most definitely not a little kid anymore.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent and others - I've been paying the membership for Strava because I like the features and wanted to support it. But I hate to see the free version made more limited and have people leave, and I wonder about the future of it at all. I think they are not handling this well - they should be adding features to attract subscribers not cutting features for the free version, maybe offering a cheaper level of subscription alternatively. I don't really care about leaderboards myself and am very much not in the competitive ranks other than with myself - that's what I like to track over time. But I do think it's fun to have groups and follow people to see what they are up to.

Same here, I have been paying for it to support it mainly but agree they are going about this a poor way. Still reading between the lines I think they are getting desperate and desperate people make rash decisions in haste.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Who has used bone conducting headphones? Seriously tempted to get a pair as I really prefer to listen to podcasts when running, and a lot of events are now banning in ear headphones.

I can get some aftershokz here for a reasonable price. Anyone compared the air with titanium? I cannot afford the aeropex lol
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Who has used bone conducting headphones? Seriously tempted to get a pair as I really prefer to listen to podcasts when running, and a lot of events are now banning in ear headphones.

I can get some aftershokz here for a reasonable price. Anyone compared the air with titanium? I cannot afford the aeropex lol

I haven't use the air, but have used the Trekz Titanium and the Aeropex. First, keep in mind that the Trekz Titaniums are not as water resistant as the Aeropex, but I've had them out in the pouring rain with minimal cosmetic damage. Otherwise, I prefer the sound quality, weight, and battery of the aeropex also. But if you can't afford those, the Trekz Titaniums are a good alternative.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

I haven't use the air, but have used the Trekz Titanium and the Aeropex. First, keep in mind that the Trekz Titaniums are not as water resistant as the Aeropex, but I've had them out in the pouring rain with minimal cosmetic damage. Otherwise, I prefer the sound quality, weight, and battery of the aeropex also. But if you can't afford those, the Trekz Titaniums are a good alternative.

OK the air is the model between then, and is only slightly more expensive than the titanium, but significantly cheaper than the aero. I'll double check the waterproof status cause I'll likely be running in the rain a lot
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman :lol: That's an improvement!

@kgirlhart Gald you had such a glorious run.

@katharmonic Your workouts always make me tired, just reading about them.

@Avidkeo I want to get some of those headphones too, so I'm interested in the answers. I run on the road a lot, so don't want in ear ones. So far, I'm running without anything. I think headphones and music would help. I'm pretty sure @PastorVincent uses them.

• Avidkeo
    Options
    @Avidkeo I want to get some of those headphones too, so I'm interested in the answers. I run on the road a lot, so don't want in ear ones. So far, I'm running without anything. I think headphones and music would help. I'm pretty sure @PastorVincent uses them.

Lol
    7nh7qr43kaqc.jpg
    Most spontaneous purchase ever.

Well i have been thinking ab3it for a while, and something came up today. Shops are open, and I just had a windfall.
    [\spoiler]
    About to do 8k with them (no moss on me!) So I'll let you know what I think.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    I did not lie to you about not commenting on my phone. I got my computer back already!!! Yeah.

Today's plan called for a Fast Finish run - 30 minutes easy followed by 10 minutes moderate effort. Finished that and then went easy to get to a good mileage stopping point - 3.25 miles. Also walked a mile. In case you are interested, today's run is brought to you by the Hanger 1 series of shows about UFOs.

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo and @quilteryoyo - I have the titaniums as they were what were available in the store here and on sale. The sound is good enough, I did not expect super high quality like the Sennheiser headphones I had previously. They also weren't nearly as expensive. Their customer service has also been great. My first pair physically broke and I sent them a warranty request and they sent me a new pair immediately. I think I only had to run once without them before the new pair arrived. The only issue I have had is sometimes they make the area behind my ear ache a bit but I think it has more to do with how they sit in relation to my sunglasses. If I don't wear my sunglasses there is no issue.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @avidkeo and @quilteryoyo and anyone else:

Yes, I run with Trekz Bone Conducting headphones, but mine a couple of years old so I think there has been at least one if not 2 generation updates since getting mine.

Quick thoughts:

1) They are great for allowing sound around you IN. So I can hear a car coming or a person yelling or whatever. Someone coming up behind me yelling "on your left" or whatever I can hear fine. This is why I bought them. They fill this well.

2) Sound quality... eh, I listen to audiobooks almost exclusively on them. For that, they are about as good as any other. If you are into high-quality music, I am sure you will be disappointed, but for my use, they work well.

3) Sound volume - Here is the first con. If you run in a noisy environment, they can not overpower much. I do not even use them when on my dreadmill. The dreadmill can drown them out. When I pass a train, I have to pause my audiobook as the train drowns them out. Most of the time this is not an issue for me so I just deal with the few exceptions

4) Waterproofing. They officially are not waterproof but I have run in thunderstorms with them and I have to had any issues. I actually bought 3 pairs expecting this would be a problem, but it was not.

5) Comfort. After a few hours, I find the constant pressure on my face to be annoying. I would not suggest them for runs longer than that.

6) Battery life. They advertise 6 hours, and I would guess that is about right. I have not worn them for more than four (see #5) and they lasted that long at least.

So there you go. That is my fast thought after a few years of running with them. They have held up in all weather from sub-zero to 100F just fine. They have been in thunderstorms, hail, and dry heat. I never had to contact customer service or tech support so can not speak to that, but perhaps that in itself is a good point. :)