May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo and @quilteryoyo and anyone else:

Yes, I run with Trekz Bone Conducting headphones, but mine a couple of years old so I think there has been at least one if not 2 generation updates since getting mine.

Quick thoughts:

1) They are great for allowing sound around you IN. So I can hear a car coming or a person yelling or whatever. Someone coming up behind me yelling "on your left" or whatever I can hear fine. This is why I bought them. They fill this well.

2) Sound quality... eh, I listen to audiobooks almost exclusively on them. For that, they are about as good as any other. If you are into high-quality music, I am sure you will be disappointed, but for my use, they work well.

3) Sound volume - Here is the first con. If you run in a noisy environment, they can not overpower much. I do not even use them when on my dreadmill. The dreadmill can drown them out. When I pass a train, I have to pause my audiobook as the train drowns them out. Most of the time this is not an issue for me so I just deal with the few exceptions

4) Waterproofing. They officially are not waterproof but I have run in thunderstorms with them and I have to had any issues. I actually bought 3 pairs expecting this would be a problem, but it was not.

5) Comfort. After a few hours, I find the constant pressure on my face to be annoying. I would not suggest them for runs longer than that.

6) Battery life. They advertise 6 hours, and I would guess that is about right. I have not worn them for more than four (see #5) and they lasted that long at least.

So there you go. That is my fast thought after a few years of running with them. They have held up in all weather from sub-zero to 100F just fine. They have been in thunderstorms, hail, and dry heat. I never had to contact customer service or tech support so can not speak to that, but perhaps that in itself is a good point. :)

Well just did an 8k run along our foreshore.
    Thoughts from me.

I listen to podcasts so don't care about quality. Even listening to music I don't actually care either. I they were great. Definitely could hear everything around and didn't notice any pressure issues, but then I only had them on an hr. One thing I loved is how they works in the wind. With my in ear earphones, any wind blowing directly in my face and I can't hear anything. With these on I had no issues at all. Could still hear over the sound.

Our foreshore is really busy with cyclists, runners, walkers etc. And easily heard them approaching. I could also hear my own feet and breath lol. Unsure if that's a positive or not.

There was some vibration but didn't really notice when I was running.

Yeah so far after one run, I definitely rate them as pretty awesome. No issue with pressure or anything.
  • Avidkeo
    edited May 2020
    Options
    So i think I just got a free lunch...

Decided I wanted Mexican for lunch, so went online to our local mad Mex, ordered and selected pick up. No check out or anything so all good. Used to paying on pick up. Went and picked it up, got into a conversation about the upgrade drink - ordered a larger size cause they didn't have the no sugar option in the small size on the website, but did have them in stock. Asked if there was a way to change it, the owner mentioned he could do a credit, I said I hadn't paid yet. Both he and the server said yeah you have, even holding up a receipt showing amount owing was zero. The server even gave me a voucher for free fries.

I was a bit confused cause I didn't remember putting in my payment details but thought with Google, anything is possible.

I'm home now and I'm still fairly sure I didn't pay. Nothing taken from my account or my credit card - which I've removed from Google pay anyway.

And when I go to their website, it looks like I can order the same thing again, and it's not charging.

So I'm going to try contact them and let them know. But yeah, free lunch
    ETA I've FB messaged and emailed them to let them know. That eases my mind about the free lunch.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    So i think I just got a free lunch...

Decided I wanted Mexican for lunch, so went online to our local mad Mex, ordered and selected pick up. No check out or anything so all good. Used to paying on pick up. Went and picked it up, got into a conversation about the upgrade drink - ordered a larger size cause they didn't have the no sugar option in the small size on the website, but did have them in stock. Asked if there was a way to change it, the owner mentioned he could do a credit, I said I hadn't paid yet. Both he and the server said yeah you have, even holding up a receipt showing amount owing was zero. The server even gave me a voucher for free fries.

I was a bit confused cause I didn't remember putting in my payment details but thought with Google, anything is possible.

I'm home now and I'm still fairly sure I didn't pay. Nothing taken from my account or my credit card - which I've removed from Google pay anyway.

And when I go to their website, it looks like I can order the same thing again, and it's not charging.

So I'm going to try contact them and let them know. But yeah, free lunch
    ETA I've FB messaged and emailed them to let them know. That eases my mind about the free lunch.

Make sure you update us on how this turns out. Thank you for reaching to them about this and not doing as some do and laughing all the way to the kitchen.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Monthly question?

The rant
    Warning. I don’t know where I’m going with this.... as usual. And it’s superficially deep.
    (Spurred by a conversation with dh. I voted to remove a being from this plane of existence, he felt differently. I was appalled).. cuz I’m right. Doy! ☺️
    I hate people, people are horrible and I love social distancing, we treat each other with such distance and disregard so easily, me; love it. Look at social media, the grocery store judgements, (yep me... all y’all doin’ it wrong), right? Say/think whatever you want without considering that the consciousness on the other side is you. (A moment for some self reflection)... Despite my disdain for the human race, when you stop and look there is simple kindness shared, little things that move our souls to a place of connection with others, (this thread). How great could we be if kindness were socially acceptable and not reserved in play dates with other 4 year olds? I found myself this week so irritated that all y’all were back out, in MY way. Just gaggles and smacks and tribes and prickles , (Man these are fun!) of people. Why are they all not dead from covid. Ok. Ya, that’s harsh. I don’t mean it, but I am so centered on me, no one else matters. We all got it. Oooh. I don’t like “y’all” cuz I don’t like me? Hmm.. did I just take my toys and go home and not want to participate with the human race? Oh that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I think I made a bubble. The world is in a health crisis. Seriously, and I my internal dialogue is still a kitten?

Be vulnerable, be kind. It is not a weakness. It takes character and strength to make your own decisions and not hide them from the world under the guise of harshness DO care for other grody, greedy, grimy human beings. Although... I dun like it and wanna be secretly judgy (at the grocery store, not y’all) 🤗. But I’ll totally let y’all butt in front or wave you in in traffic. I got your back, sometimes. Is this an existential crisis?

The question?
    Hmmm, lead me to enlightenment ... What do you do to thwart your ego?

An easier question
    Favorite food as a kid! And what was the first movie you can remember seeing at the theatre or drive-in?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Monthly question?
    Favorite food as a kid!

Fluffennutter!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Monthly question?
    Favorite food as a kid!

Fluffennutter!

Wow! Had to google it! Bet that was a great kid snack!

I had canned chili once with mayo in it, it was oddly good, til it wasn’t. 🤢
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Monthly question?

The rant
    Warning. I don’t know where I’m going with this.... as usual. And it’s superficially deep.
    (Spurred by a conversation with dh. I voted to remove a being from this plane of existence, he felt differently. I was appalled).. cuz I’m right. Doy! ☺️
    I hate people, people are horrible and I love social distancing, we treat each other with such distance and disregard so easily, me; love it. Look at social media, the grocery store judgements, (yep me... all y’all doin’ it wrong), right? Say/think whatever you want without considering that the consciousness on the other side is you. (A moment for some self reflection)... Despite my disdain for the human race, when you stop and look there is simple kindness shared, little things that move our souls to a place of connection with others, (this thread). How great could we be if kindness were socially acceptable and not reserved in play dates with other 4 year olds? I found myself this week so irritated that all y’all were back out, in MY way. Just gaggles and smacks and tribes and prickles , (Man these are fun!) of people. Why are they all not dead from covid. Ok. Ya, that’s harsh. I don’t mean it, but I am so centered on me, no one else matters. We all got it. Oooh. I don’t like “y’all” cuz I don’t like me? Hmm.. did I just take my toys and go home and not want to participate with the human race? Oh that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I think I made a bubble. The world is in a health crisis. Seriously, and I my internal dialogue is still a kitten?

Be vulnerable, be kind. It is not a weakness. It takes character and strength to make your own decisions and not hide them from the world under the guise of harshness DO care for other grody, greedy, grimy human beings. Although... I dun like it and wanna be secretly judgy (at the grocery store, not y’all) 🤗. But I’ll totally let y’all butt in front or wave you in in traffic. I got your back, sometimes. Is this an existential crisis?

The question?
    Hmmm, lead me to enlightenment ... What do you do to thwart your ego?

An easier question
    Favorite food as a kid! And what was the first movie you can remember seeing at the theatre or drive-in?

Movie: Snow White, saw it with my grandmother in the 1975 re-release (had to look that up!) so I would have been six years old, during the year I lived with my grandma while my parents were selling their house and my dad was swapping jobs. I remember thinking the evil queen was prettier than Snow White so that mirror had a problem.

Food: well I had a bunch of them. But my special dinner that I always asked for on my birthday was a thin cut pan-fried t-bone with side of fresh, beautiful summer tomatoes.

Ego: gonna come back to this one. But it’s been on my mind lately - liking other people is a little tougher than usual for me right now!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary yay! And definitely feeling winter, was 4 degrees here this morning, brrrrr

My marathon in July has officially been postponed. I was expecting it, but still disappointed.

I'm currently 60% of the way through my training plan. The marathon was supposed to be 5th July, and it looks likely to be pushed back to 30th Aug, 6th or 13th September - so roughly 2 months.
    So do I:
    A) keep training and just do the marathon on 5th July as planned - I'm still going to the city anyway cause family.
    B) change my training plan for the 6th September until the date is confirmed.
    C) other (state what this is).

I'm leaning A because the training is about more than running a marathon, it's about fitness etc. And I'm enjoying doing the longer distances. And so far the body is holding up OK...
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 - even your “easier” monthly question has led to some strange self reflection.... and y’all might be about to find out how strange I truly am....and this will probably end up kind of long and random, because that is what I am good at. But hopefully is at least entertaining?

Food:
    If you had asked me this question as a very small child - like before kindergarten sort of young- my answer was apparently “Lima beans” - like WTF sort of small child has Lima beans as a favorite food??

The next that comes to mind is “elk” steak.... I put elk in quotations, because apparently my sister and I, along with the two cousins we mostly grew up with, all went through a strange phase where we decided that elk meat was the ONLY meat we would eat, and that it was far superior to any kind of meat. Which since the other choices at the time were deer, antelope, or cull cow... we may have actually not been wrong?? But what I learned as the oldest child in the family.... 90% of the time the “elk” meat meant that gramma told “yes, of course it is elk,” and got rid of the evidence to the contrary very quickly. Haha. As a result of this duplicity.... I still lack the ability to actually differentiate types of red meat by taste. I had a coworker take one bite of CHILI I made once, get a disgusted look and ask if there was deer meat in it.... although it was a possibility based on freezer contents, I couldn’t remember what I used, and had no idea that it mattered to adults.
    And particularly with @rheddmobile ‘s comment on what you would request for a special “birthday dinner” myself and one cousin of mine would both usually request “breaded elk steak and peas potatoes and cream”..... what we calledbreaded steak is kind of like a chicken fried steak?? Only homemade?? And different?

However, although I also had to google @pastorvincent answer..... and I’ve never had THAT.... it led to fond memories of peanut butter and honey sandwiches... and y’all know I still like me some macaroni and cheese with hot dogs. :smiley:

Movie: like @rheddmobile I SWEAR it was Snow White. Like, until surprisingly recently, I had believed Snow White was made in my lifetime, for this reason. Although, after doing the same googling the true “rereleases” were 1987 and 1993. Which has me questioning my memory. I would have barely been a year old by the end of 87. But would have been 6 or 7 in 93. But I’m pretty sure I saw this movie when we lived in Alaska - so when I was 3-4 and 89-90? So, maybe just a kids summer matinee thing?
    I don’t know... the next one I remember seeing in theaters is little women... which google says is 94. That one does seem right in the world of time.

Harder question: probably will take some work to discuss my thoughts on ego and people skills in the current environment in a way that is appropriate.... I will give that one some time to mull and filter.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    On the headphones, regarding a couple of @PastorVincent's observations. I have not had any issues with the loudness and being able to hear with them. I have worn them in the gym on the treadmill w/o issue and not had any real issue with cars, trucks, etc. I also don't run where I am very close to cars, trucks and definitely no trains. I get more than 6 hours on a battery charge, more like 8-9. I have found I can charge them once a week and get all my runs in and rarely have the battery be depleted but it has happened a time or two.

@elise4270 - your questions make my brain hurt... like steam coming out my ears hurt...
    Ego - mostly I am not very self confident but if feel my ego needs to be checked I think about others who are much better at whatever, much smarter, much stronger, much... just looking around at all the amazing things people are doing and accomplishing makes me realize I need to do better and up my game.

Favorite food as a kid - my mom's apricot jam... like @hanlonsk I also loved peanut butter and honey sandwiches. We didn't really go out to dinner and never out for fast food. On our birthday though we could pick to go out or have something 'special' at home. Since we really only ever had venison, I always wanted to go out for a 'real' hamburger at A&W or Red Steer.

First movie... kind of like going to restaurants my mom didn't believe in spending money on going to a movie but our neighbor used to pile all the kids into her station wagon and take us with a huge pan of fresh popcorn to the drive-in. I am guessing here that the first movie I saw at the drive-in was Swiss Family Robinson (I would have been about 4 or 5 when it came out) but what I really remember is Old Yeller, I suspect it was on TV though.
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Why all y’all gotta be huggin’ me? I’m not a nice person and have no idea how to interact with people. Haha! I am nice. I do love all y’all, truly I do. And I’m naive that everyone else is just like me.

I got my 5th hip/leg surgery scheduled yesterday and think I might be loosing it. Remember the rod? It needs to be replaced, bone re-cut, and twisted ‘round. Oh don’t worry, it’s not the last one; we’ll have the 6th in December/January. And I wanna save the world but it seems hopeless. I have this fear that I’ll have a reaction to the bone cement and die. So, told ya so (if it happens). Oh I turned 50 last month... I could be dealing with my own mortality and trying to feel accomplished, stages of development and all. Life is weird.

I hug you because I love you.

You are one of the kindest, warmest most friendliest person I've ever met on the Internet. Your support and compassion is incredible, especially with what you are going through. I will never ever forget you and how generous you are.

So even though I've never met you in real life, I am honoured to have been able to get to know you, even if its just the little bit that we see here.

Thank you for being you.

I agree with everything @avidkeo said and couldn't have said it any better! You are amazing!
  • ImeldaOmom
    ImeldaOmom Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    35.1 /55 km Completed
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @elise4270 do not worry. I was considerate and did not hug you. You know social distancing and all that. ;)
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    My favourite food was anything with meringue on it, pavlova, lemon meringue, baked alaska yummm! My first trip to the cinema was on my 16th birthday. We watched Nuns on the Run, it wasn't even that good.

On the social distancing and restricted travel I'm quite liking it. We are usually over run with arrogant tourists who thing they are doing us backward locals a favour.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Favorite food as a kid: I really loved mashed potatoes. Still do!

My July half marathon was cancelled (AKA, it's now a "virtual event"). It still stings even when you know it is coming.

5/1: 2m
    5/2: 8m
    5/3: 18m
    5/4: 1.75m
    5/5: 5m
    5/6: 5m
    5/7: 5.25m
    5/8: 2.5m
    5/9: 8m
    5/10: 13m
    5/11: 2m
    5/12: 5m, 6.5m