WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Michele- I hit the Walmart Neighborhood market weeks ago for the same reason. Doesn’t have some things but has others. Plus it’s the least crowded

Amber Tx

Watching Hulu hubby felt we needed a change a break from Netflix. So watching a show about Catherine the Great who was empresse to Russia. A comedy quite hilarious. Called “The Great” . Definitely one I recommend for a fun laugh. For once great actors that make you forget its a comedy twist about true people (some facts tossed in but lots of made up imagine running wild stuff).
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

Bike ride home 2 sumner station- 1hr 6min 28sec, 11.9amph, 141mhr, 13.23mi= 522c
    apple watch- 480c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.24min, 141mhr, 9.52min mi, .54mi= 54c
    apple watch- 57c
    jog wrk 2 sta, windy!- 4.18min, 9.29min mi, 148mhr, .45mi= 62c
    apple watch- 86c
    Bike ride dome 2 hm, windy!! - 20.18min, 7.6amph, 145mhr, - 2.57mi= 182c
    apple watch- 145c

total cal 820
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    3afqindn8rcx.png

Tell us about you and music.

Do you play an instrument?

Do you sing??

Do you dance??

Do you listen??

And generally speaking ... what kind of music do you like? :)

Machka in Oz

I got to Grade 3 piano but really didn't like the recitals so I didn't continue. I would like to continue now! And it may be something I do when I've finished my degree.

I have sung in a choir and enjoyed it. I'm an alto, but can also sing tenor sometimes. However, I am not confident of my voice by myself.

I have never learned to dance and aside from the odd twirl around the lounge room on my own, I've never danced. That's also something I'd like to take a few lessons for and see how I go.

I listen to music. :)

These days I've got ABC Classic FM on most of the time ... classical music. It makes great background music and in a way helps dull the noise of barking dogs and traffic outside. It also seems to help me focus on work and university.

When I'm not doing work and university, I like all sorts of music ... very eclectic!!

Machka in Oz
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Lisa – that painting is beautiful! I would love it as a phone case. I can just see the petals wrapping around.

I don’t play or sing, I can not clap in time with the beat, I don’t hear it

no

Do you sing??
    no

Do you dance??
    Barely only in private but when I do the dog howls or goes and hides

Do you listen??
    Some

And generally speaking ... what kind of music do you like?
    Because I don’t hear the beat/music like others do I like music with a story, so folk songs mostly

Kim from N. California
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: I love to listen to music. I’m much better at listening to music that I like than singing or playing an instrument. Classical music and classic rock and roll are two long time favorites. I took piano lessons as a girl but didn’t practice often enough and didn’t do well. When I took choir in school I was always put in a place where I wouldn’t be heard. I can't carry a tune in a bucket. :embarassed: My mother’s piano is sitting in my living room. It is the very same one that I practiced on for my piano lessons. Once in a while I play it, but not often. I love the instrument because it was hers and I grew up with it. I don’t want to part with it. :star:

Big local news—the beauty shop is open for business at last and DH has an appointment for a haircut this week!!! I trimmed my own hair and am happy enough with it for now.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Machka9
    Options
    2hqwkd3l3074.png
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Hi all!
    I keep catching up, but it's so late by the time I do, I really need to go to bed! But I do need to make a comment or two!
    Lisa, oh my, Levi's cuteness is starting to rival Athena's!
    Kim, sounds like you are rockin' the ranch! Good luck with all the presentations etc, my sincerest wishes for success!
    As for music, well, I played a bit in school, anybody remember the recorder? Then tried accordion, wanted to try guitar, but there was no local teacher, I would have had to basically learn on my own and I was not self disciplined enough for that. Or perhaps I just wasn't that interested.
    Do I sing? Well, yes, yes I do! However, if you want a room cleared out, just let me sing! lol So my singing is done in the privacy of my car! Need to be careful with the warmer weather coming, have to make sure I'm not belting something out while at a stop sign (with the windows down!), don't need the looks! Or to see the folks next to me frantically rolling up their windows....
    Music that I like to listen to, mostly 70's rock, but am also enjoying some of the new stuff that has come out in the last 20 years or so. Definitely a rocker at heart tho, can listen to country, can listen to classical too, but don't make me listen to jazz or blues!
    That's it for me, hope all is well with everyone.
    Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies! Please come back often and please don't feel that you need to reply to every post! You would never get anything else done, we are a chatty bunch! Also please sign with a name you would like to be called and a location - be as general or specific as you are comfortable with!
    I also wanted to mention that the photo that one of the Karen's posted "out my window" from an Evelyn in Nanaimo overlooking the ocean was not me. I would love that view, but I am further south on the island and have no ocean view, just a seasonal creek that is almost dry now.
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,491 Member
    Options
    Not yet posted May pg 71 me
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: budget meeting minutes, 46 mins grooming Tumble.

Bonus: hour plus stroll with Barb and Tumble in Azalea park, read C-19 grant info, prep and forward request.
    Get to do: invest 10 mins cleaning Bedrooms, carry over 10 mins cleaning Dining Rm, Guest Bth, 20 mins cleaning office, mat work, BB&B, practice new dances (Read Deal, Get it Right, Quarter after one, Half Past Tipsy, Senorita), board meeting minutes, transplant oregano and parsley, make garlic almonds for Dan, transplant oregano and pineapple, prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes, finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed, finish cleaning and start de-rusting Aunt Elsie’s stove, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments, next week final? follow up for Joe’s labs, call for his Dr. appointment.

Whoops, missed my window. Joe went into town this morning for milk and instead of getting done any of the things that I do while he’s out (to minimize mutual annoyance)… I fell down the internet rabbit hole and ordered replacement jeans, hoodie and nightgown. My jeans are falling apart and not in the designer looking way. Noticed a cut and stains in the hoodie I wear almost every day. The nightgown is a treat. He’s back now, time to get up and be doing something quiet, declutter the office?!? :ohno: Whoopsie doopsie, he’s off again, taking Shadow by herself to the beach. Poor brokenhearted Tumble! Gave her all his away time, on the grooming table, removing mats. Not punishment, she’s actually very good and relieved to have them gone.

Julie think you made the right choice, but hope when the 100 km restriction is lifted your friend will renew the invitation.
    Karen the Day 16 meme made me chuckle. But then I shook my head. Today is day 68 of no line dance or BB&B class, grocery shopping only once a week or less and masked, no church 'til last Sunday. 68 days, whod’ve thunk it?
    Welcome @SueBarry1 Sue from Portland. Well done discarding pounds and all those inches!
    Lisa, Levi looks “not amused” ;)

Nothing for years. Piano lessons from 5-18, clarinet one summer, self-taught guitar in college.

Do you sing??
    oh yes, mostly in the car or when no one else is around. Only time I sing in public is at church, where they have to let you ;)

Do you dance??
    Ballet as a child but had to give it up when we moved away at 9 yo. Broke my heart. Like Barbie, finding line dancing was a life changer.

Do you listen??
    Mostly only as background while driving or cleaning, or to learn a new line dance. Used to just listen but got out of the habit in my late 30s.

And generally speaking ... what kind of music do you like?

All Rock and Roll, folk and protest songs, classical (except piano, some aversion there :} ), bagpipes, Renaissance, anything you can line dance to, show tunes, even some opera and even a very few rap songs.

Still just skimming, too sleepy to respond to all.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: better than April.
    daily: steps= yesterday:6200, today:5076  vits=20 log=21 CI<CO=19 CI<250<CO=9 Tumble & Shadow 5=14 mfp=21 clean 10 mins=20 outside=16 up hill=16
    wkly: BB&B x3= rx=3 dance=1
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=1 review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=11 play=0 sew=0
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️
  • Machka9
    Options
    Friday -- Slept lightly last night until near morning when I went into a deep sleep, then woke quickly. If you've done that, you might know how disoriented a person can feel and that's how I've felt all day. 4 tall cups of coffee only helped a little.

Worked today. I was hoping to get several things done in the morning and then spend the afternoon doing uni work (my paper) but it didn't happen like that. Too much work to do so I was at it all day. However, I think I've completed a couple largish projects.

I was going to get ready to run at 4 pm, but that didn't happen until about 15 or 20 minutes late, but that's OK ... I did finally manage to get out for a run! :) And because daylight was running out, I tried to pick up the pace a little ... and it turns out I was successful! My fastest run earlier this week had a pace of 8:22 ... this one was 7:49. But my calves weren't entirely happy. I need to do my calf exercises.

Run
    Distance: 5.52km
    Elevation: 71m
    Moving Time: 43:12
    Elapsed Time: 46:53
    Pace: 7:49/km
    Calories: 559

Now I need to work on my current paper. I'd really like to finish it this evening.

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,104 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Already up and have prelogged for today.
    Completed so far: 65 mins exercise

Cardio: 20 mins aerobic dance; 30 mins HIIT Jog/walk
    Strength: 15 mins lower body circuits

Just thought I would do an update.
    Word for 2020: DEPTH
    For those who may not know me:

I’m Terri (AKA ☘️ Irish Terri ) from Northern Ireland, and I am working on improving my fitness and health.
    DH and I will celebrate our 54th wedding anniversary next July.
    We have 2 daughters, 3 grandkids. And live in a town on the coast near Belfast.
    fvnge6aw4qnn.jpg
    gz5iv694gdn4.jpg

22nd May Update:
    Achieved Revised Goal for 2019 and have maintained <150lbs since early January.

Just a few details on my personal journey to health and fitness.
    Aim for 2020 ~ maintain <150

SW: 227lbs (Mar 2014)
    CW: 149.2
    (78 lbs Discarded:- not lost, not looking for them 😂 😂 😂)

LW: 146.2: 11 April 2020
    Daily Health/fitness goals (evolving 😂)
    • Calories > 300 in the green ✅
    • Intentional exercise > 50 minutes ✅
    • Steps > 7500 ✅
    • Choose healthy snacks 😂 working on it!
    Some background info:
    • I use CI/CO and a variety exercise for extra calories.
    • Logic would suggest that I have found a natural comfortable weight, and, according to modern BMI calculation, I am in the upper range of normal for my age and height. However, logic doesn't always dictate our desires and feelings. 😂
    WHAT I HAVE DISCOVERED
    1. Getting and staying healthy and fit requires the development of a permanent lifestyle reset.
    2. Replacing unhelpful habits with more useful ones is key to to the process.
    3. Losing weight is only one of the elements.
    4. Eating healthy and staying actively is not OPTIONAL, but an ABSOLUTE ESSENTIAL.
    THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES OR SHORTCUTS to achieving permanent change.

REMINDERS One or two thoughts on weight which might give heart to some of you.
    • Daily weight fluctuations are normal, and can be several lbs a day for no apparent reason.
    • A general downward trend is what we are looking for.
    • Eating out can cause apparent weight gain because of high sodium levels, but usually goes quickly. Drinking extra water helps with this.
    • The human body does not react instantly to what we do to it. Sometimes it can take several days to see results.
    • Plateaus are a normal part of the process. The body is consolidating and adapting to your new way of eating/exercising.
    • The closer you get to your goal weight, the more difficult it becomes to lose weight, as your body becomes more efficient at using what you feed it.
    • When you exercise you build muscle, which takes up less space than fat, so use measurements as well as weight to assess your progress.
    • Getting/Staying fit and healthy requires a permanent lifestyle change for most people.
    Stick with the process. It DOES work! But it does take time, effort, and most of all, patience!

☘️ Irish Terri
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Options
    New cases today in Australia.

xi008w2v0i9g.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Well instrument dabbled in piano with lessons,the teacher talked more than he taught..then guitar and stupid me sold it should have kept it.and then in high school a little bit of trumpet..
    Do I sing.. maybe in the car but dont want to scare anyone..
    Music..except for Andrea Bocelli i dont care for opera or rap.love James Taylor and grew up on southeen rock.. but also love the old stuff Sinatra, Doris Day,Perry Como ,Bing Crosby.
    Last night was ok.. very hard sleeping on a bed that feels like a board even though I brought a sleeping bag and a light blanket.. though Alfie settled right in.
    We have to lock the kitchen door or Faith goes scavenging at night..boy let me tell you she can still put food away..
  • BeUncommon
    BeUncommon Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Lisa > he is so adorable :) He's like "What you lookin at" :)

Amber > That happens to me all the time as well, sometimes it is over the calories and I just leave it because sometimes they are not correct. I am not scanning but using the MFP food guides. I have found many of them to be incorrect though!

Do you get Orphan Black series on your netflix? I know the netflix is different in different countries etc. If you do get it, check it out, its pretty good :)

Michele
    > I used to say the same thing to my mum.. she so cute, how can she take a bad pic :) I love photographing children though :) We did move all the food to our outside freezer and some up to the inlaws but they are not getting someone to come in to look at it until June 3rd!!

Pip > Congrats on the calorie burn!!

Rebecca > I LOVE Linkin Park, I listen to them everyday :) It is so hard since Chester's suicide to listen to them. It makes me cry. I loved Chester Bennington so much and without him, I will never buy another linkin Park CD.. but will always listen to them when he was with them.

Just had my skinny food and graze order to sort out. Looks like another beautiful day here in the UK.. might sit outside for awhile and read after I sort everything else out.

Love Tonya UK xx

Hope I don't post any that I have already posted x

gdvvt4ovku2s.jpg
    x7ke782ntl9m.jpg
    w46266nr4vh6.jpg
    d73mv99e2r8g.jpg

• LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Welcome Newbies!!

Machka Love the Hallmark Covid movie and the Once a Days! Incredible photo of the baby carriage!

Lisa Love kitty’s favorite morning spot! So sweet! That Levi is a little doll baby!! What a pensive expression! Solving the world’s problems… Beautiful art!

Shona I have the same question…why does it take so long to come off but comes back on so fast?? I have officially gained my “Quarantine 15” as they have labeled it here.

Karen I’ve been really enjoying the “views from my window”!

Amber
    LOL…I love you flipping off the photographer. You were such an adorable baby!! My daughter got a shot of grand baby doing the same at her…that will be used for years to come when needed…lol!

Music I was brought up in a very musical home. My Uncle and Aunt were Joel Ryce and Yaltah Menuhin They were concert pianists (you can google them if interested). I was a professional violinist starting at age 16. I was able to play with: Tony Bennett, Henri Mancini, Yanni, Van Cliburn, some back up on Motown records, and for those of you in the states who know who Patrick Wilson (the actor) is, I played with him before he became a star! Many, many more, but I will not go on because it is embarrassing after a while. I played several instruments for fun: Piano, guitar, mandolin, flute, piccolo, French horn, recorders, clarinet, drums, cello and glockenspiel. I went to college on a full music performance scholarship.
    I cannot sing worth beans, but I sing all the time. Fortunately, Baby Iris is not a critic and listens intently to all my singing. 😊 I used to sing on the praise team at church. Once again, it was mostly because I could read music well and sing harmonies with no problem. Although I do not have a pretty voice, I am able to sight read well and carry a tune, so I always was placed next to the good singers in choirs to help them find the notes. Ha ha.
    I dance like a typical clumsy white girl from the 70s. I must admit I love it though, and if you give me a couple of glasses of wine, I will dance whether I look foolish or not.
    I enjoy all forms of music, although the screaming rock music is a bit much for me if I am stressed (which I often am). Believe it or not, even though I was trained as a classical musician (maybe it is because I live in the South) I listen to a lot of Country music. I guess I can relate to “leaving, cheating, drinking, truck driving, gun toting, dog dying, etc.” lyrics…lol. My first love was Glen Campbell…I was in 2nd grade, and I do not think a lot of people appreciated what a talented musician he was. That man could play anything on his guitar! I also listen to a lot of 80s music because of the memories singing with my children when they were young.

I pulled a muscle in my back cleaning out a higher cabinet in my kitchen last weekend. It has been so painful all week I have been near tears at times. I wish I could see a chiropractor or massage therapist, but I do not really want to go to the office and expose myself to possible virus germs. I love that I can live into my 60s…but I do not love the new pains that go with it! After all the injuries in my early 50s, I feel I have the body of an 80-year-old. If not, the thought of what I will feel like at that age is quite frightening!! I have a lot more work to do on the house so I am hoping I will be out of pain very soon!

Keep on keeping on, Everyone!! I am so impressed by those of you who have stayed on track! I adjusted my goals to my current weight and am making an intense effort to get serious again!

Stay safe and healthy!! <3 Luci in WNC