WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,116 Member
    Options
    Lisa: You won’t regret your choice. The sense of freedom when you retire is priceless! Stay strong! You’re almost home and dry.
    Allie: Enjoy the time, but don’t let them put all the care on your shoulders. I hope you have that money in your bank.

☘️
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if a person can appear to be asymptomatic yet have a fever?

Lanette
    Sunny SW WA State

If you've got a fever, you're supposed to go get tested.

Our info says, "any Tasmanian with cold or flu-like symptoms such as a cough, sore throat, runny nose, or fever" is supposed to contact our GPs or the Public Health Hotline to register for the mobile testing units.

The mobile testing units haven't been in our suburb yet, but we may see about going when they get here. I always have some of those symptoms, mildly, because of allergies and my deviated septum ... but no fever ... so I highly doubt I've got it, but perhaps just for peace of mind. We'll see.

M in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, I don't plan to make any changes as our county "opens up" except that it will be great to get the dogs groomed. I don't have friends and family that I've missed but if I did, I'd be very careful about getting together. I know a lot of my line dance students are eager to get back to class but we'll have to wait until the facility opens up and allows us in again. After shopping at Costco with a mask, I know that teaching a dance class wearing a mask will not work for me. I am happy staying home and venturing out occasionally to shop for "essentials".

:) Too many people are seeing this situation as "binary"--either stay home or go do anything you want to with no restrictions. In fact it is a gradual process, a lot like starting to walk again after surgery.

:) Yesterday I expanded my boundaries slightly by going into WalMart to buy an OTC medication for Jake that I couldn't find the last two times at Costco or my grocery store. The pharmacy is near the garden entrance and I went in wearing my mask, bought a 200 day supply of the meds and came right out. I had just been to Costco so I knew I'd be washing all my clothes as soon as I got home and taking a shower.

:)Barbara, The line dance class I teach usually has about 35 students many of whom are over 80 years old. I have no idea when or if we'll be allowed to resume classes or what the restrictions will be. I am content to take life one day at a time.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,880 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Heather, I don't plan to make any changes as our county "opens up" except that it will be great to get the dogs groomed. I don't have friends and family that I've missed but if I did, I'd be very careful about getting together. I know a lot of my line dance students are eager to get back to class but we'll have to wait until the facility opens up and allows us in again. After shopping at Costco with a mask, I know that teaching a dance class wearing a mask will not work for me. I am happy staying home and venturing out occasionally to shop for "essentials".

:) Too many people are seeing this situation as "binary"--either stay home or go do anything you want to with no restrictions. In fact it is a gradual process, a lot like starting to walk again after surgery.

:) Yesterday I expanded my boundaries slightly by going into WalMart to buy an OTC medication for Jake that I couldn't find the last two times at Costco or my grocery store. The pharmacy is near the garden entrance and I went in wearing my mask, bought a 200 day supply of the meds and came right out. I had just been to Costco so I knew I'd be washing all my clothes as soon as I got home and taking a shower.

:)Barbara, The line dance class I teach usually has about 35 students many of whom are over 80 years old. I have no idea when or if we'll be allowed to resume classes or what the restrictions will be. I am content to take life one day at a time.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Absolutely!!

I'm quite happy and comfortable in our current situation and have been for the past 2 months. Best 2 months of my life since March 2018!!

Fortunately, our little state is opening very slowly and that suits me just fine. :)

M in Oz
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    A fever is a symptom so you aren't asymptomatic if you have a fever.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Two successes today! Just shows that if you don't ask, you don't get. :D
    I emailed Waitrose some time ago complaining that I couldn't get on their priority list. I then got an online form and filled it in. I didn't hold out much hope as the only thing that counted for me was that I am over 70. Sent it back anyway. I have just heard that I have priority booking for slots. :drinker:
    Then I bought some trainers on line and paid a little bit extra for an included returns label. I anticipated them not fitting perfectly and I thought it would make life a lot easier.
    When I got the acceptance email it stated that the form had to be printed out by me. :o:# I was not amused. I paid extra for the convenience, not to give myself work. Anyway I emailed them and wasn't nice. :o i asked for a proper label. I've got an email back to say they are posting me a returns label. :drinker:

I learnt years ago when I attended a personal development course that it is worth asking for something even when you think you might get the answer no. :D It has stood me in great stead. DH is the opposite, he hates asking unless he's sure they will say yes. I often prove him wrong.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Machka: The photos of Tasmania that you’ve shared are portraits of a beautiful place, and a healthier place to be than many others. I am of the opinion that the Covid 19 flu will eventually run its course. It appears that it will be a while yet. When it is in the pages of history, perhaps you can travel again. I hope so. :star:

Kim: I really don’t know what eating clean means, either. It seems like a buzz word that lacks clarity and definition. Eating healthy is much easier to understand. I want the right balance of animal protein such as meat, fish and cheese, plant protein such as tofu, grain & carbohydrates, and vegetables. Keeping within my calories limits and getting physical exercise are important to over-all health. :star:

Sharon: DH has been diabetic for since his late teens. He is an insulin dependent diabetic. His pancreas produces no insulin so he takes insulin injections daily. As I understand it, type 2 diabetes may be managed with careful dietary management by the individual, including exercise and/or pills. I am so sorry to hear that your daughter and her husband are having difficulties. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: Congratulations on your success at Costco. I’m glad you were able to get the things that you needed. :star:

Rebecca: Nudism doesn’t appeal to me but I have no judgmental views on it for others. Sunburns have been a huge problem for me in years past. Thank goodness we now have sunscreens that actually work! I wore a bikini as a teen and young woman and had terrible sunburns. I wouldn’t expose that much of my skin to anybody except DH in this stage of my life. :noway:

PeloMichelle: Welcome! :star:

Barbara: Thanks for your generous comments. I feel as though I’ve had a pat on the back. :flowerforyou:

Allie: Congratulations on your new career path. I am happy for you. Faith is lucky to have you as her care giver. :star:

I expect to go shopping this morning because we’re out of COFFEE! Yikes!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbie Do you think that gorgeous black iris is "Here Comes the Night"? I have been looking at black iris to plant this fall! I love the one you have.

>>>

Katla <3 American history teacher!<3 I have developed a late-in-life love of history. I have a lot of ground to make up. I abhorred history in high school, and took not one single history course in college. What was I thinking?

>>>

Dr Katie I'm trying to think what one does with a PhD in Curriculum Studies…?Principal or Superintendant of schools? College professor? Educational Researcher?

Such a sad end for your elderly neighbor. It's so painful.

>>>

((Hi Viv UK!))

>>>

Heather Pretty serious discussion about clean eating. LOL. I wash my veggies before eating them.

I used to be like your husband about asking for things. I am getting better about doing it; my spouse is a good role model. Sometimes she embarrasses me but she often gets what she wants and other people don't seem to think it's that annoying.

We have a sanctuary too. Blue herons eat frogs on our lawn and stuff like that. It's pretty cool.

>>>

Welcome Michelle Come often, and join right in! I'm in Virginia, too, near Richmond. We also have Debbie VA, although she hasn't posted for awhile.

>>>

Barbara It completely tickled me to be labeled as 'Unmanageable'. YASSSS! I will accept & wear that mantle proudly. What an honor to join those ranks! It made me sit up a little straighter when I read it. <3

>>>

Lisa Yes. Your bottom line is spot on. She made her choices and you made yours. We can't be responsible for other people's bad choices, with the exception of our minor children. Happy last day of work, Girl, you must be totally energized.

>>>

Lanette Asymptomatic people can have a fever if it's lowgrade, say between 100 &101 F. Most people will start getting chills over 101. There are also reasons for people to have a factitious fever - I scared my nurse at my brick & mortar urgent care one morning when I checked in with a temp over 100 and then realized it was probably due to the coffee I had been drinking in the car on the way to work. Exercise causes factitious fever for an hour or so. Being outside in hot temperatures, taking a hot shower, sitting in a hot tub…the list goes on. Likewise, a person can have a factitious subnormal temperature due to drinking cold drinks, being outside in cold weather, mouth breathing...

>>>

Beth I cleaned out my brother's apartment when he moved to a supervised living situation and it was grim. Old rotisseried chicken carcasses in cabinets. Eggs nestled in his bed (apparently they froze and he tried to thaw them in his bed)…cat litter and trash on the floor…but, on the upside the cat was well-cared for!

>>>

Karen in Virginia

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    A fever is a symptom so you aren't asymptomatic if you have a fever.

Annie - thanks for pointing that out, when I hit the "post" button I knew I should have been clearer. I should have asked do people who are showing no other symptoms (no cough, loss of sense of smell, feeling crappy, etc. etc.) show a fever as an initial sign of coming down with the disease.

Karen - thanks for your input. And that factitious fever is interesting, makes sense. Just wondered if the temperature taking is as effective of a virus screening tool as people hoped it would be. Looks like it's a start.

My walking partner's son, in his 40's, has had a 103-104 degree temperature for a week now. No appetite and he's already underweight. He hasn't tested positive for the virus, and the docs/ER have put him through a lot of tests but can't seem to figure out what's causing it. None of his family members - wife & kids - have it. Yet. DWP (dear walking partner, lol) is attending training in Seattle for a few days so I haven't heard the outcome.

She was a former nurse and I know she's terribly worried; if he wasn't halfway across the state she'd be accompanying him to the doctor's office.

Lanette
    SW WA State.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Margaret- Stay Safe been worried about you up there. It was not 1 Officer it was 3 on him with all their weight is why he perished. 1 officer stood by . Someone came forward with video from behind the vehicle 🚗.The first video shot by a child the vehicle was blocking the view of the other 2 officers next to the one on his neck..they were on his lungs y stomach the other two.I’ll pray for your good neighbor for their safety. Video from behind the vehicle

Here’s the view from the other side of the vehicle. 1 officer standing arguing with children a few adults - 3 on top of him.Could you breathe? I have asthma I wouldn’t have lasted as long. These 4 officers have lengthy similar violations in the past.Their police report accusing him of resisting arrest to fraud on money has been proven falsified. He was an innocent man they were dirty. Bad part is now the good cops are under attack thanks to these 4. I’m more worried about the good officers having troubles for months to come. Also if they don’t clean house at the station another crime against an innocent man could happen again . Be safe Margaret stay in doors as much as possible until it cools down. Order food to the house or groceries don’t go shopping for awhile
    agfo5auzd4tb.jpeg

Amber Tx
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "

Our bishop recommends NO SINGING to minimize aerosol virus dispersion. Strong resistance from many on council, so we’ll probably hold our paper bulletins in front of our mouths and sing away.

Our bishop says no paper bulletins either. Our small country church is spending a small fortune on a laptop, screens, lighting and camera, plus adding internet so that we can do live streaming for those who chose to stay home and project all of the liturgy, etc. for worship. We're going to plan some pretty calming slides to watch while we play music over the sound system. We are even removing two of the chandeliers and the spotlight in the chancel area and replacing them with three matching can lights so that we will have the lighting we need for live streaming yet it won't interfere with the screens.

I have a feeling we'll be having some humming and low singing along with what we choose. Maybe some swaying and dancing in our pews. LOL.

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    De Katie- Sounds like a good church investment since the future is more online but many places of worship to restaurants have not caught up yet.

Amazon link-I like both I couldn’t decide either

1950 portions vs Now
    xh8ce8sh0q2r.jpeg
    vhq9ynszko9h.jpeg
    htup808uu8v4.jpeg
    vh4bcl7jcufo.jpeg
    A lot of portion sizes are also due to fine china from long ago was smaller.Now everything bigger y not better for us. The USA food ingredients are horrible! I try to eat things With ingredients I can pronounce know what they are. Free range eggs to chicken y freash veggies nonGMO.vegan y vegetarian substitutes here are also less healthy more salt y unpronounceable ingredients in many which are higher priced defeats the purpose of eating some of them.

Amber Tx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,848 Member
    Options
    I’m with Heather UK! We are starting to open up around here and part of the park is opening for picking and trails bringing more clowns in that think the whole thing is open. My stress level climbing up and up!!

Making masks for the employees here and a summer frilly sunsuit for the Supervisor ‘a 11 month old baby girl. Sewing and gardening and crafting for me are relaxing, along with reading and Duolingo Spanish. Gotta do what I gotta do!

Have a great day/night/afternoon ladies!

Rv Rita
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Margaret- Also oopsie they arrested CNN news crew for being black oopsie on air to boot 🥾. That won’t help at all.Their no trust in the law enforcement that will make it worse. Here the video of mayor saying oopsie y the news crew darkest workers being arrested. Their falsifying that the news crew did not have documents to prove who they were. In the video y pics you will see his CNN ID badge attached to his pants fully visible. The cops of Minneapolis need to start telling the truth stop falsifying records on innocents. Now their attacking news crews even...dark essential workers better stay home or they’ll get arrested for grocery shopping . https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/29/media/reporters-arrest-minneapolis-first-amendment/index.html
    ^ CNN link to what happened look his ID is visible was on him the cops lied 🤥.
    Amber Tx

Reporter Omar Jimenez being arrested live oopsie arrested while Blk that will not stop the riots only fuel ⛽️ them . I have a Hispanic last name also so totally understand his situation https://youtu.be/vy5Tp2FM4v4
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Amber ... I've seen these other videos also... and the CNN newsman arrest ... it is absolutely unacceptable!!

Reopening Church ... during my reopening discussions with the pastor we talked about singing. The answer was there would be none or only soft singing behind our masks. Definitely no choir or worship team. We also won't have anything in the pews (i.e., no Bibles (bring your own instead ... I guess you could call that BYOB ... LOL!!), pens, note pads, etc). And we will not hand out paper bulletins. Information shared through email and in church it will be projected on screens. Our church has also invested in new lighting. We also talked about sanitizing the restroom after allowing only one person at a time to enter?? As the sole cleaner, I nixed that idea. I'm not interested in becoming a restroom attendant. There is a huge emphasis on actions that limit our liability. Sadly, there are already law firms gearing up for coronavirus lawsuits. My husband and I have talked, and if this all gets out of hand at the church, I will retire with him in February. While we had planned on my working for a few more years, we can also manage without.

Clean eating ... I wash my produce too! :D And I always get distracted by the term "processed." Every time we chew we "process" something. It does make more sense to only eat things you can pronounce. Someone once said, don't eat it unless your great-grandma would have known what it was. My great grandmother was an immigrant from Poland ... she ate from her kitchen garden ... Potato chips? Cheetos? Nope. She wouldn't have known what those were.

Instead of enjoying my time with him, I am struggling with melancholy at the thought of my younger son leaving this weekend. I worry about him. He may think he's ready, but he's still such a baby. Really he is. But he's also 22 years old and needs to make his way. I just wish it wasn't so far away. I still have my older son with me for the time being ... although that will change eventually too. It's empty nest syndrome all over again.

Need to get off of here!

Beth near Buffalo

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Amber - I hadn't seen the video of the other side of the car. :'( I feel horribly sad about the whole situation. I do hope it can calm down and not hurt more innocent people. <3 Love to Margaret.

My paneer curry is nearly ready. Quite a lot of work, but I'm not in a rush! Friday night is wine night and we are having a spicy, rich Austrian wine with it. I've just had a glass as an aperitif.
    Vera repeat tonight. Other favourite things on record for tomorrow.

Rita - Hola! I love my Duolingo. I'm nearing the completion of the whole first level of Norwegian. I hope I get the chance to use it one day when cruises are safe to resume. ;) I also listen to Spanish and French on Utube. I don't always understand the Spanish because they speak so quickly, but it keeps my ear in. I am currently listening to a woman who has a slower delivery, which is better. 30 days to change your life. :D
    The best French course I have ever found is Français avec Pierre. He speaks slowly and clearly and has levels from beginners to intermediate/advanced. All free.
    I'm listening daily to Julie's Hugo Decrypte. Bit fast, but some helpful graphics.
    Have I ever said I LOVE my languages. :laugh:

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA: When you didn’t take history back when, it was likely because you had other interests. Don’t beat yourself up about it. Enjoy exploring history and let your curiosity guide you. In the middle ages there was a black plague. It seems very like the Covid 19 plague to me. Luckily for us, we have the hindsight of history and both better medicine and sanitation. :star:

Lanette: I hope your friend’s son gets better soon. :flowerforyou:

Amber: I watched the video yesterday and it broke my heart. :sad:

(((Rita))): Sometimes things are just crummy. I hope things straighten out for you soon. There is an island in the Columbia River that is directly across from us. The other day it was a day at the beach for anyone with a boat to get there. I worried about it at first, but I eventually realized that people were in family groups or friendship groups and staying a good distance apart. At the end of the afternoon they all went their ways. Ihope things work our well for your and your park.:star:

I went to the store looking for my favorite KIND bars and was not able to find just what I was looking for, so I bought a substitute. Next time the local stores may be left behind in favor of Amazon. :grumble:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Beth- Perhaps 1 person sings at home or there it’s recorded then played during services? Or put on a prerecorded Christian musicians CD. Leave cleaner y a brush in the bathroom they can preside before y after the toilet y sinks

Amber Tx

Margaret- Stay Sade heats library burnt down now the police stations a blaze.