How much is it possible to change body in 5 months?

Options

Replies

• footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    A lot...

January to May... look at my "ticker"... the 2 last pics.

U look amazing!

Thank you :) I cut out sugar and alcohol for lent this year and it worked wonders for me... I'm planning on doing that one more time after labour day weekend and then it's all maintenance.
  • brinsy
    brinsy Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I lost 40 something lbs in 5 months, and went from walking being easy but running being impossible to jogging 5 km and doing major cycling events
    [/quote

Running is impossible for me lol but I'm hopeful :)
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can accomplish a lot in 5 months of weight lifting to reshape your body even if you don't lose a high amount of scale weight. I highly recommend lifting. I have a progress picture on my profile comparing after my first month, second month, and third month of weight lifting. I couldn't do everything perfectly but I kept at it and got some results with no shin splints. I did 30 DS after that first three months of lifting and what I got was very sore knees-to high impact! I lost weight in the past with diet and only walking but it left me flabby. You definitely want weight lifting!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    totally depends on what you are looking to do. I did this in 4 months... I stayed the same weight and went from 25% body fat to 18%body fat.

4monthprogress.jpg
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot in 5 months. Maybe it's 20 lbs., maybe it's not, but you can make significant changes to your body in that time if you work hard. It sounds like you have a really good attitude about making a healthy life change, not just fitting X size dress for an event. Don't be in a rush to lose weight as fast as possible. Don't get discouraged if it is slow going or you stall. Eat good food, don't starve yourself. I'd encourage strength training to preserve your muscles while you lose fat. Body measurements and pictures are great tools for seeing real changes in your body.
  • brinsy
    Options
    A lot...

January to May... look at my "ticker"... the 2 last pics.

U look amazing!

Thank you :) I cut out sugar and alcohol for lent this year and it worked wonders for me... I'm planning on doing that one more time after labour day weekend and then it's all maintenance.

Lol I would have a slight tooth I need to control but after a week or too that will go (fingers crossed)
  • brinsy
    Options
    You can accomplish a lot in 5 months of weight lifting to reshape your body even if you don't lose a high amount of scale weight. I highly recommend lifting. I have a progress picture on my profile comparing after my first month, second month, and third month of weight lifting. I couldn't do everything perfectly but I kept at it and got some results with no shin splints. I did 30 DS after that first three months of lifting and what I got was very sore knees-to high impact! I lost weight in the past with diet and only walking but it left me flabby. You definitely want weight lifting!

Yeah getting rid of the flab is what I'm after lol!
  • brinsy
    Options
    You can do a lot in 5 months. Maybe it's 20 lbs., maybe it's not, but you can make significant changes to your body in that time if you work hard. It sounds like you have a really good attitude about making a healthy life change, not just fitting X size dress for an event. Don't be in a rush to lose weight as fast as possible. Don't get discouraged if it is slow going or you stall. Eat good food, don't starve yourself. I'd encourage strength training to preserve your muscles while you lose fat. Body measurements and pictures are great tools for seeing real changes in your body.

It's definitely a life change I'm after. Not just squeezing into a dress for a wedding I want a fitter and healthy toned me for the long term. :D
  • brinsy
    Options
    totally depends on what you are looking to do. I did this in 4 months... I stayed the same weight and went from 25% body fat to 18%body fat.

4monthprogress.jpg

Losing body fat and toning up is more important to me also. The scales are only part of it
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Due to been completely unfit and getting shin splints I'm thinking. Could barely make it up the stairs or down the stairs.

If a 30 day squat challenge involves doing squats every day, you could easily overtrain. Doing squats, and other strength exercises, two or three times a week, and doing them right, is better for you. That leaves you days for cardio, flexibility, and rest.

The 30 day shred caused the serious pain. But maybe doing the squat challenge every other day would be better idea. Could stop the chance of getting bored of routine

It doesn't have to hurt, too much. Some discomfort is to be expected. The worst thing is to get injured just when you're starting to see results. Take care, and best wishes on your journey.
  • USMCnetty90
    USMCnetty90 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Its only been a little over 2 months for me - I have only dropped 2 pounds but have lost over 6 inches... my clothes fit better and i feel stronger!!!
    You can make great changes in 5 months as long as you are dedicated... :)
  • brinsy
    Options
    Due to been completely unfit and getting shin splints I'm thinking. Could barely make it up the stairs or down the stairs.

If a 30 day squat challenge involves doing squats every day, you could easily overtrain. Doing squats, and other strength exercises, two or three times a week, and doing them right, is better for you. That leaves you days for cardio, flexibility, and rest.

The 30 day shred caused the serious pain. But maybe doing the squat challenge every other day would be better idea. Could stop the chance of getting bored of routine

It doesn't have to hurt, too much. Some discomfort is to be expected. The worst thing is to get injured just when you're starting to see results. Take care, and best wishes on your journey.
    Thank u :D u too
  • brinsy
    Options
    Its only been a little over 2 months for me - I have only dropped 2 pounds but have lost over 6 inches... my clothes fit better and i feel stronger!!!
    You can make great changes in 5 months as long as you are dedicated... :)

That's brill. I'm defo dedicated this time. Even to just feel better and stronger. Not to dread clothes shopping lol
  • Gettinfit242
    Gettinfit242 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    love that! and sooo true!!!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

4monthprogress.jpg

Photobucket sucks. You have exceeded your bandwith. Use www.imgur.com.
  • manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how much I could change my body in 5 months of healthy eating and going from no exercise to exercising or at least walking everyday. What is realistic? Also this I hope is going to be a life change for me not just a five month thing. I know it'll take determination but its obviously possible if you really want it-the success stories on here show that.

I think it will greatly vary on how your body reacts to the change... I started at 181 7 months later I am at 160... I have been super dedicated first month I didn't work out but for the last 6 months I have hit the gym or HIIT at least 5-6x a week about an hour to two hours a each work out session... I try to eat clean for the most part this summer has been challenging but I always stay with in my calorie count... I think I have suffered from years of starving myself and damaged metabolism... so maybe thats why my weight loss has been slower. But I am super fit my body has changed WAY more than the scale shows... I started at about a size 14-16 and now I am a comfy 10-12... Just remember its a lifestyle change and take it day by day... O also progress pics!!
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    So far Ive lost 15lbs in just 5 weeks, averaging 3lbs a week, I entered my age, height, weight into MFP and when it set my macros and daily calorie allowance, I have stuck religiously to that amount and not once gone over, Ive also not touched any treats or anything resembling cakes, crisps, biscuits or alcohol, Ive eaten clean and tried to stick to unprocessed foods. Plus I have walked for an hour a day despite having an artritic knee, ive wlaked through the pain and the surprise to me is my knee is getting better!
  • brinsy
    Options
    Just wondering how much I could change my body in 5 months of healthy eating and going from no exercise to exercising or at least walking everyday. What is realistic? Also this I hope is going to be a life change for me not just a five month thing. I know it'll take determination but its obviously possible if you really want it-the success stories on here show that.

I think it will greatly vary on how your body reacts to the change... I started at 181 7 months later I am at 160... I have been super dedicated first month I didn't work out but for the last 6 months I have hit the gym or HIIT at least 5-6x a week about an hour to two hours a each work out session... I try to eat clean for the most part this summer has been challenging but I always stay with in my calorie count... I think I have suffered from years of starving myself and damaged metabolism... so maybe thats why my weight loss has been slower. But I am super fit my body has changed WAY more than the scale shows... I started at about a size 14-16 and now I am a comfy 10-12... Just remember its a lifestyle change and take it day by day... O also progress pics!!

Thank u for sharing. A fit body is more important to me than seeing it on the scales lol I'd prefer to see it on me. 21lbs is still major weight loss so well done. To feel super fit and feel better in general and about myself is the target
  • brinsy
    Options
    So far Ive lost 15lbs in just 5 weeks, averaging 3lbs a week, I entered my age, height, weight into MFP and when it set my macros and daily calorie allowance, I have stuck religiously to that amount and not once gone over, Ive also not touched any treats or anything resembling cakes, crisps, biscuits or alcohol, Ive eaten clean and tried to stick to unprocessed foods. Plus I have walked for an hour a day despite having an artritic knee, ive wlaked through the pain and the surprise to me is my knee is getting better!

Wow well done that's really good. Good determination !!! I hope I can say the same in 5 weeks that iv stuck at it :)
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Losing body fat and toning up is more important to me also. The scales are only part of it

Definitely take measurements then. I really wish I had at the start but didn't until I was already 25lbs down. I've already had times when the scales haven't moved much but I'll find I've lost 0.5" off my thigh or 2" off my waist. Its a great motivator when the scales aren't telling you what you'd like!

For me this is a lifestyle change so I know I'm not giving up having a drink or a bit of chocolate so do still have them in my diet. In fact I have chocolate most days but I have a treat size rather than a full size bar.

Best of luck and do keep us informed as to your progress :)