06/02/20 - 4.02
    06/03/20 - 7.02
    06/04/20 - 3.71
    06/06/20 – 15.35
    06/08/20 – 5.28
    06/09/20 – 5.13
    06/11/20 – 5.51
    Total – 53.18 miles

We had a thunderstorm and rain come through last night which cooled things off a bit. It was a nice 64F when I ran this morning. I was only going to run a couple of miles because I have a half marathon on Saturday but it was so nice I didn’t want to turn and go back home. I ended up running 5.5 miles and walking 1.5 miles. I just plan on doing some simple yoga tomorrow and then the half on Saturday. I’m so excited to be going to an actual race!

Monthly question – I think I’ve mentioned before that my work site offers fitness classes of all levels and variety. I try to do a few of those each week – yoga, strength, cardio. I do some hiking and cycling.

@Shortgirlrunning – Need details on the shorts please! I usually have to wear the skirts with compression shorts underneath or regular shorts with compression shorts underneath so that my thighs don’t chafe.
    @ABabilonia – Sorry about the broken running streak but hoping you are healing well from your procedure.
    @rheddmobile – I like running at dawn also but it’s just the start of the day for me. I don’t know how you can stay up all night! I wish I were more of a night person sometimes. I agree about less shoppers in the mornings. I’ve been to our Lowe’s home improvement store a few times since the pandemic and always go when they open at 6:00 am – usually it’s only me and the employees.
    @Avidkeo – Glad you are following the PT advice and hope you can relax and enjoy your cross-training opportunities.
    @Lexigraph – I love cycling and use it as a form of cross-training. Why running instead of cycling? I love the social aspect of running and feel like I can just go out the door and start running wherever I am. It’s hard to talk to friends while cycling and in my area there are no dedicated bike lanes and “sharing the road” is not a popular concept. For me to cycle, I have to load my bike rack and bike onto my car and drive to a trail or an area that has minimal traffic and I feel safe. Glad your shoulder is healing and love the party picture!
    @britannystebbins95 – maybe you can channel that extra energy into yoga or something less stressful on a pregnant body?? IDK – never had any children so I’m not great at that kind of advice!
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 - I think they are technically bike shorts. I found them on Amazon
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 Thanks!🙂 I am getting better and I was able to log 7 miles the last two days. Luckily I can keep the streak going on again
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    June Goal: 100 Miles

6/2: 6.55 miles
    6/3: 7.06 miles
    6/4: 6.72 miles
    6/7: 10.07 miles
    6/8: 7.04 miles
    6/10: 6.53 miles
    6/11: 6.05 miles

50.02/100 miles completed for June

613.24/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I ran 6 miles this morning and it was another lovely morning. It was 59°F with 70% humidity, a dew point of 49° and 3 mph S winds. It was so nice the last 2 days to have such nice running weather. June is usually not this nice so I will enjoy it while I can. In addition to the cool temperatures I've really enjoyed it not being dark for my runs.

Re: Monthly question - My other exercise besides running is yoga. I really love it and do it at least 5 days a week and sometimes more.

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks @bearly63 . AC part did NOT come in yesterday and I haven't heard from them today, so it is probably going to be tomorrow before they get it fixed. At least it's a little cooler today. Problem is that I had moved all of my appointments to Friday so I could be here today when they came to fix it. Now, I'll be gone and my dad will have to come up. He didn't seem thrilled about the idea, but he'll live. It shouldn't take them too long, I hope. That is, assuming, the part comes in today.

@Teresa502 Glad you had a good run. What HM are you doing this weekend?

@kgirlhart Glad you are having great runs and great running weather.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/1 – 4
    6/2 – 5
    6/3 – 4
    6/4 – 4
    6/5 – 4
    6/6 – 3
    6/7 – 3
    6/8 – 5
    6/9 – 4 with Champ
    6/10 – 2 with Macy and Champ – walking
    6/11 – 5

43 of 100 miles

@rheddmobile I know what you mean, we got some weather reprieve this morning 64F with low humidity nice breeze just awesome. That’s a crazy overnight heat index.

@quilteryoyo I’d defer too. Sorry. Our half was moved from April to October. We are actually having an inperson trail race next weekend. There was an inperson 5K here last week. The trail race they limited the number of people to half of what it was last year and will stagger start folks. I’ve always wanted to play tennis. Fingers crossed the AC part comes today

@Avidkeo sorry no running for another week, but you know what they say listen now or it’ll be longer.

@Lexigraph we have or had quite a few who do both cycle and run. I like to ride, but not enough to give up running. If I do cross train I ride my old lady bike. Great picture, hope the shoulder is 100% soon.

@Elise4270
    To answer the question of the month. Outside of running for my health. I try to eat good, that’s a hard one for me since I never met fast food or a hot dog I didn’t like. I like to walk the dogs and hike. When I had a pool I swam. For my mental health I try to turn off all the electronic stuff and just sit and listen to silence. Emotional health? I stop dating ha ha

@Tramboman those are some yucky side effects. Sorry

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June - Sept
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Got up early again this morning, intending to get out and run. But, it had rained last night and the humidity was pretty high and supposed to go down as the day went on. So, instead I got some mail ready to go in the box, ate, and then went out at about 10. I found a tree had fallen across my driveway in the storm we had last night. It was past my turn around point for my runs, so I left it alone. I'm going to go down in a few minutes and see if I can get it at least out of the way enough to drive around it if I need to.

The temperature was 70°F with 73% humidity, so not ideal, but much better than yesterday! Today's plan called for a Short Interval Run - 10 minutes easy, 6 x (1.5 minutes hard/2.5 minutes easy), 5 minutes easy. I went a little further to make an even 3 miles. I was a little disappointed when I saw my time/distance/pace for the hard runs. I really felt like I was pretty close to sprinting and doing about as much as I could, but my pace was between 10:30 and 11:30. I had expected it to be under 10 based on the effort I felt I was putting into it. I know the hills, which of course I had to run up every time, made a difference, and the heat and humidity. Still.... Anywho, I got it done.
    Elevation gain was 1,018 feet and my HR averaged 152. Also walked a mile.

exercise.png

I feel ya, there. On how the effort FEELS as opposed to what the measured results are. I think this is normal for this weather. I think we are all feeling it. I honestly haven't felt like I've improved in my capability in months. - Since COVID at least. Then the heat came. And the injuries. I think I've done well resting this week and working on PT and strength training - hopefully soon I can be normal. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Oh my gosh, I always feel like I'm working so hard in the humidity. And then I stop and see my actual pace and it's like "WHAT?" :s
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Another good run this morning. I’m not sure if my improvement is because I’m getting fitter or because I’ve lost a bit of weight and therefore getting up those hills is easier, but I’ll take it!

@Elise4270 - I try and do some yoga and/or Pilates for flexibility and core strength and I do circuit/strength training at home or HIIT classes at the gym under normal circumstances. I’ve tried spinning and cycling but just can’t find the love for it!!
    June goal: 75 miles
    June total: 31.3 miles

1/6: 5m
    2/6: Strength training
    3/6: 5m
    4/6: Strength training
    5/6: 5m
    6/6: Strength training and zoom yoga
    7/6: 6.2m
    8/6: Strength training
    9/6: 5.1m
    10/5: Strength training
    11/6: 5m
    May: 80 m
    April: 115 m
    March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Months like May sure make things hard to plan for...
    paq3kjrquqcp.png
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    noblsheep wrote: »

In my personal, anecdotal, and entirely unscientific opinion, I think running gives me a better cardio workout, since I just don't have the massive glutes needed to bring my heart rate up to a decent level on a bike. It also doesn't give me the same amount of endorphins, but this is probably linked more to the previous point than the mix of bad drivers, crazy e-bikes and blind pedestrians we have on our roads.

:(

LOL....Does this bike make my Glutes look big?

To be honest, I agree....but now that I am seeing some ahem, gluteal muscle improvement, shall we say, that I am actually getting better on the bike and my outputs are going up. Hoping to see this improve my running too.

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Months like May sure make things hard to plan for...
    paq3kjrquqcp.png

@PastorVincent That's like.... near Arkansas/ Missouri weather! Lord please help us!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I"m sorry about your HM too, and agree that I would defer or donate and sign up again next year. I am not big on virtual races at all and for your first especially I think an actual race would be so much more motivating. Personally I'd probably still train up to the distance and complete it but not call it a virtual race, just a distance PR.

@Lexigraph I like the idea of cycling but it freaks me out to go fast downhill and take corners. I like a nice beach cruiser type of cycling. We've had a few pretty active cyclists in this thread but they haven't been posting much lately.

Monthly question - My other activities are hiking, walking, strength training, and I guess obstacle course training. The strength training is definitely suffering a bit right now that I'm not able to go to the gym. My trainer keeps a group of us pretty active in doing things like mace workouts and the stairs with a weighted vest. Sometimes we do bucket or sandbag carries. Sometimes I do yoga, but I also haven't been great with that lately. For actual enjoyment it's the hiking and walking, and I would love to do more kayaking.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5
    06/02/20 :::: 3.3 :::: 6.8
    06/03/20 :::: 2.4 :::: 9.3
    06/04/20 :::: 3.4 :::: 12.7
    06/05/20 :::: 3.2 :::: 15.9
    06/06/20 :::: 6.8 :::: 22.7
    06/07/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 27.7
    06/08/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 30.8
    06/09/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 33.9
    06/10/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 38.9
    06/11/20 :::: 6.0 :::: 45.0

Today's workout was hill repeats. It was 80 degrees at 8 in the morning and it felt really hot when the sun was out. There was a bit more cloud cover in the second half but at that point it just felt hard anyway. It was a relief to be done. And then we took a few minutes rest and did a short mace workout. There was an attempt to learn a new sequence but I was not mentally or physically up to the task.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Excellent timing for the monthly question since I'm doing nothing but cross training this month.

I have a bike but rarely cycle outside of fun times with the kids. I intended on cycling too and from work as its only 3k, just under 2 miles but it doesn't happen often. I actually planned on cycling today and this had given me the impetus to actually do it.

And I bought a pass for the pools yesterday, so now I have to use that too.

Actually after yesterday's swim, my muscles are definitely feeling it. Not DOMS but sleepy haha.

I miss running. It is my anxiety and mental relief, so have currently resorted to eating. Need to fix that. Perhaps Yoga would be good. I've been walking but it's just not the same.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,972 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 I love the mask. I guess the wave start only works for smaller events. Glad you are getting to run a real race. We'll all be jealous and running with you in spirit. :lol:

@Faebert Glad you are having some great runs!

@katharmonic Hill repeats at 80 degrees? You can keep that one. LOL You do so much. I feel like a slug relatively speaking - but an active slug.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo @janejellyroll @Camaramandy648 Yes! I feel like I’m doing so well, and then I look at the garmin and it tells me uh I don’t think so. Ugh.
    I do like to bike ride. But yeah the super fast downhills and corners not so much. I used to love spin classes, I can’t fall over then. Lol. Have seriously thought about getting a spin bike though.
    I agree that it does help with the running.
    I also do body boss type hitt workouts and dumbbells strength training.

So update on running vest.
    I was worried it would fit...I ordered an xs. I shouldn’t have worried. It actually fits small, but at looking at pics it has to fit that way? Anyway. Filled it half way with water. Turned it upside down and sucked out the air. Seemed to work!
    I put my phone in one of the water bottle holders and it held quite nicely. This vest has a ton of pockets which is nice.
    Made adjustments.
    I was going to run on the treadmill as it was storming, which would also allow me to take it off if it got uncomfortable.
    And I tried with just that top in my profile pic to see if I had any chafing. No chafing!
    I also only filled half way.
    It wasn’t so bad. Definitely felt the weight though like everyone mentioned I should get used to it.The only issue I had was the hose. It’s awfully long (or It’s cause I’m very short). I couldn’t quite figure out the best place for it. Also the it seemed to leak from the mouthpiece - is that common, or something I can fix?
    Overall not bad. Did 5.5 miles total with some speed work intervals.