June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,442 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @rheddmobile (early). You are a young 52.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    06/01-06/07: 21.4
    06/08: 3.1
    06/10: 4
    06/11: 3.1
    06/12: 3.6

Have a good weekend everyone!!!

exercise.png
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've been reading but not posting - work is back to normal but I'm still in lala land and am scrabbling to find the motivation to sit at my computer. Also, as I prioritised running during lockdown, I'm still in that mindset where I can dedicate two-three hours a day to running, yoga and showering, but in reality, that's no longer possible. I'm adapting by taking shorter showers!

In inspirational news (please take it as inspirational and not bragging) I have a running event every month from now until April (excepting January). Most are road half marathons (I entered a series of five around the region, plus there's the 5th from last year's series that got postponed from April to September), but there's a couple of trail events in there too - a team of us are doing a trailnav event in two weeks - three hours to run to various markers spread over a regional park to collect points. The further you run the more points you get. I am chief organiser and snack carrier and am having nothing to do with map reading or directions otherwise we'll get lost. Should be a great day out.

My calves are still bugging me but seem to be much better if I start the day with yoga and remember to lift my legs with my hamstrings rather than pushing off with my feet - sounds weird, but works. It increases the stride without much extra effort so speed improves, and I realise now that it is how you get the 'kick your own butt' running gait which is much lauded and very unlike my usual nana shuffle. So progress, albeit, only a little.

So, pretty much, life has returned to normal here - excepting the mid-winter holiday to Fiji, and it will for you too, eventually!

Woooo hooo on all the events! Almost, but not quite, makes me want to move to Auckland. You thinking about rotorua or Hawkes Bay? Seriously considering Rotorua... Funny you say about the kicking your own butt cause I've been reading on just that! I intend to adopt that a bit when I start up again.

Thanks for the thoughts guys! Wore high vi's today, and as its a Saturday, there were fewer cars in the road, so no close calls.

I actually do enjoy the cycle to work, I really aught to keep it up.

Yep still frustrated at no running, but calf has improved today to the point that I barely notice anything, so that's only 3 days to get to this point after a run, as opposed to the week it took last time. I'm definitely feeling confident that if I wait till Wednesday I'll be fine. Roll on Wednesday!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I've been reading but not posting - work is back to normal but I'm still in lala land and am scrabbling to find the motivation to sit at my computer. Also, as I prioritised running during lockdown, I'm still in that mindset where I can dedicate two-three hours a day to running, yoga and showering, but in reality, that's no longer possible. I'm adapting by taking shorter showers!

In inspirational news (please take it as inspirational and not bragging) I have a running event every month from now until April (excepting January). Most are road half marathons (I entered a series of five around the region, plus there's the 5th from last year's series that got postponed from April to September), but there's a couple of trail events in there too - a team of us are doing a trailnav event in two weeks - three hours to run to various markers spread over a regional park to collect points. The further you run the more points you get. I am chief organiser and snack carrier and am having nothing to do with map reading or directions otherwise we'll get lost. Should be a great day out.

My calves are still bugging me but seem to be much better if I start the day with yoga and remember to lift my legs with my hamstrings rather than pushing off with my feet - sounds weird, but works. It increases the stride without much extra effort so speed improves, and I realise now that it is how you get the 'kick your own butt' running gait which is much lauded and very unlike my usual nana shuffle. So progress, albeit, only a little.

So, pretty much, life has returned to normal here - excepting the mid-winter holiday to Fiji, and it will for you too, eventually!

Woooo hooo on all the events! Almost, but not quite, makes me want to move to Auckland. You thinking about rotorua or Hawkes Bay? Seriously considering Rotorua... Funny you say about the kicking your own butt cause I've been reading on just that! I intend to adopt that a bit when I start up again.

Thanks for the thoughts guys! Wore high vi's today, and as its a Saturday, there were fewer cars in the road, so no close calls.

Yep still frustrated at no running, but calf has improved today to the point that I barely notice anything, so that's only 3 days to get to this point after a run, as opposed to the week it took last time. I'm definitely feeling confident that if I wait till Wednesday I'll be fine. Roll on Wednesday!

Apparently, the key is not to try and kick your own butt - that’s just extra work for no reward. However, if your gait is right - hamstrings, quads and glutes all firing properly - once you get up to five minute (per kilometre) pace, you’ll kick your own butt without trying.

As for more events - I have so many in the pipeline I'm not letting myself consider any more just yet. Those are both in April or May next year, right? I've done Hawke's Bay before and didn't enjoy it but the course has been changed. As for Rotorua, that's always been on my list but I have a clear memory of driving through there one year and seeing all the runners out there doing their thing and it was nearly sleeting!
  • Avidkeo
    Options

Apparently, the key is not to try and kick your own butt - that’s just extra work for no reward. However, if your gait is right - hamstrings, quads and glutes all firing properly - once you get up to five minute (per kilometre) pace, you’ll kick your own butt without trying.

As for more events - I have so many in the pipeline I'm not letting myself consider any more just yet. Those are both in April or May next year, right? I've done Hawke's Bay before and didn't enjoy it but the course has been changed. As for Rotorua, that's always been on my list but I have a clear memory of driving through there one year and seeing all the runners out there doing their thing and it was nearly sleeting!

Both are September I think? I know Rotorua is because it's the first weekend of school holidays.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options

Both are September I think? I know Rotorua is because it's the first weekend of school holidays.

Oh right. 2020 delayed events. I have the Waterfront Half on Sept 20 - it’s an A race so I’ll be doing a proper taper and aiming for an impressive new PB.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Skimming and missing stuff as usual, busy busy busy. Hugs, congratulations, commiserations where needed!
    Having now moved into a new HM training cycle in preparation for the @RunsOnEspresso F**k the Sun HM I'm enjoying a couple of weeks of reduced mileage. Looking forward to my sports massage/physio session on Monday, despite the anxiety of another person touching me with all the current situation fears. My legs definitely need sorting out.
    Finally braved the outdoors for a run again this morning. The current law here is you must wear a mask in public, but those doing sport are exempt from that rule as long as they carry a mask and wear it while not actually running. That had put me off for a few weeks as I run-walk-run and with my luck the police are bound to catch me during on of my 30 second walk breaks and fine me for not wearing my mask.
    BUT I was getting desperate so got up at 6 this morning and went out round the back. Either all this speedwork on the treadmill is paying off, or it was just overexcitement about being outside, but I went WAY too fast (like almost a minute and a half per km faster than Hal told me to go). Even when I headed uphill towards the end I was still faster than He Who Must Be Obeyed wanted. That's probably gonna hurt tomorrow as my legs are not used to hard roads and pavements any more. Still, Hal didn't tell me off as I expected him to.

01/06: 3.75km fartleks
    03/06: 5.02km base
    04/06: 6.9km hill repeats
    06/06: 11.65km long
    08/06: 5.16km base
    10/06: 5.18km base
    11/06: 6.99km base
    13/06: 6.73km long
    June goal: 120km Run so far: 51.38km
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Happy birthday @rheddmobile (early). You are a young 52.

Very young considering she is still 51. :D
    Happy early birthday @rheddmobile!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Got my 10km done this morning but it was hot and the last couple of kms were a battle. But I averaged 10:10m/m which is the best I’ve done since surgery, and not so far off my old best! Had a few twinges in my right quad so was careful in my Zoom yoga afterwards. Fingers crossed it will be better before my next run on Monday.

Happy running all, and have a great birthday tomorrow @rheddmobile! Can’t believe you are 52, you seem so much younger! Quite the advert for running... 😉

June goal: 75 miles
    June total: 37.5 miles

1/6: 5m
    2/6: Strength training
    3/6: 5m
    4/6: Strength training
    5/6: 5m
    6/6: Strength training and zoom yoga
    7/6: 6.2m
    8/6: Strength training
    9/6: 5.1m
    10/5: Strength training
    11/6: 5m
    12/6: Strength training
    13/6: 6.2m and zoom yoga

May: 80 m
    April: 115 m
    March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    6-1 7k moderate
    6-2 7k moderate
    6-3 7k easy
    6-4 7k moderately easy
    6-5 7k easily moderate
    6-6 7k slow
    6-7 7k moderate
    6-8 rest
    6-9 7k moderately easy
    6-10 7k easy
    6-11 7k easy
    6-12 7k moderate
    6-13 7k thresholdy

June Total: 84k
    June Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k

2020 Total through May: 900k

Sunny, mid 50s F, with a cool breeze today. Hadn't intended to run as hard as I did -- it just happened.

Hope you have a wonderful birthday, @rheddmobile!!!!!

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    06/01/2020: 4.15 miles
    06/03/2020: 4.17 miles
    06/06/2020: 6.01 miles
    06/08/2020: 4.02 miles
    06/10/2020: 4.15 miles
    06/12/2020: 6.03 miles

June Total: 28.55/60 Miles

The first three miles of my run was pretty much all uphill today, probably won’t be doing that route again! 6 miles has been my long run for the past three weeks, bumping it up to 7 next week!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Happy birthday @rheddmobile - its Sunday here!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday @rheddmobile - its Sunday here!

Cheater.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    06/01-06/07: 21.4
    06/08: 3.1
    06/10: 4
    06/11: 3.1
    06/12: 3.6
    06/13: 3.1

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    6/1 – 4
    6/2 – 5
    6/3 – 4
    6/4 – 4
    6/5 – 4
    6/6 – 3
    6/7 – 3
    6/8 – 5
    6/9 – 4 with Champ
    6/10 – 2 with Macy and Champ – walking
    6/11 – 5
    6/12 - 5
    6/13 - 5 trail miles with Champ

53 of 100 miles

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May - done
    The Big Run - June 3 - done
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June - Sept
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach