June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 I think I'm going to order the shoes as a treat for myself after my virtual marathon this weekend. I too make myself calculate how much I've spent on running stuff. I'm not one to spend a lot of money on clothes . . . unless those clothes are for running. Now I just remind myself that I've got plenty of stuff and try to only get it if it's meeting a genuine need and I don't already have one (like my hydration vest). I'm not perfect at it, but it helps!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile that picture is making me STARVING

@Faebert great job on the 5!

@janejellyroll I'm with ya. I need to exchange the sports bra I bought last week, so it's kinda like getting two new ones except I keep the one that works the best, lol.

@Avidkeo my sister was asking me last night about running and things I'm happy with and things I wish I had done differently - you came to mind as I was telling her, "LISTEN TO YOUR BODY, DO NOT DO WHAT I DO." You're doing so well letting yourself heal and I wish I were more like that.

I think this weekend I may just do a 15K. The Summer Binge is next week. Maybe I should even just do a 10K and then some shorter distances through the week. I'm not in a ton of pain today, but I can feel both IT bands want to start nudging me. Maybe focus on recovery, strengthening, and short distances for a week so I don't DIE during the binge. Surely somebody here is smarter than me and has had to figure out something similar - right? What do you all think?
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Hello runners and happy Monday.

@rheddmobile Happy belated! You make 25 look fantastic!

@quilteryoyo Excellent job on the distance PR....I would go absolutely nuts. You impress me!

@Avidkeo Love the article. She is a great leader.

@ContraryMaryMary Awesome that you got to see live sports and no masks! Adorable kiddo!

@mbaker566 Lol! That is the truth. So funny!

Welcome @kenti84

Hoping to get a couple of runs in this week....We have had pretty great weather for June. I'm coping with OCD on the dang bike that goes no where. Trying to finish this series of "tours" by end of June and I am behind so riding 2+ hours 4 days a week. Running is now my recovery day which is weird and silly. Look forward to getting back into it and working on improving.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,123 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Every year I set goals at Christmas and on my birthday. I did not make my six month goals this year. One of them was to revive my running mojo since I was feeling a little bored with running. Well, that went well... these days I consider it a victory just to put one foot in front of the other! Looking back at my goals from December 2019 I feel like, Oh you sweet summer child... you have no idea what 2020 has in store for you... but nevertheless I made it to another birthday, my blood glucose is under control, I am within 5 lbs of my goal weight, still running, still lifting... new goal: hang in there until Christmas.

Race report for Monday: this was the 2 week midpoint of the timed mile challenge, in which the point is to improve mile time for one timed mile, tested three times over a month. Honestly as much as my knee has been giving me fits, I was concerned my mile time would be getting worse, not better. We have had to cut back on both mileage and intensity to add extra rest. But my baseline mile two weeks ago was 8:38 and today’s mile was 8:24. I’ll take it!

The weather first thing in the mornings has been beautiful, although it gets hot by 9 am. Today we were under a bad air quality warning, which I didn’t read about until after we finished. So what seemed like perfect running conditions wasn’t, exactly, which explains why it seemed like my body was working extra hard. After finishing our mile we fartleked another three miles.
    I think you did pretty good with your six month goals. I had to laugh at your new goal! :lol: WTG with the decrease in your mile time. That's awesome. Oh, I should have left the top of your quote too. Anything with cheesecake is a yes for me! One of my favorite, if not my favorite, desserts.

@Avidkeo Funny article. NZ has done an amazing job.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @ContraryMaryMary – Any suggestions on how to engage the glutes more? I tried to focus on using mine this morning but I think they just basically were back there tagging along for the ride.

The easiest thing is to activate them before your run - I will do a few Pilates exercises like clamshells and bridges to get them firing then head out. They’re super lazy so this will turn them on. Literally five minutes worth, just Until you feel a burn then you’re good to go.

Thank you - I will give that a try!
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    06/01-06/14: 38.3
    06/15: 3.2

exercise.png
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Lesson learnt. A month in to working as a landscape gardener and I have put on another 8 pounds. It turns out feeling cream crackered at the end of a tough day working does no good if you stop tracking your food and eat crap and don't do any running. That is a full stone on since lockdown began. TIme to switch MFP back on!

I momentarily forget my cockney rhyming slang and thought you had a really random typo!

Wright gain sux, but you'll be back on track before you know it!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @marisap2010 I don't think I could run with a mask on either! Hope you can get out to do your runs in the cooler part of the day. Just take it slower and hydrate!

But most of us DO run in a mask, in the cold months. What would kill me is how hot it would be on in the summer! I mean in 20F I have to pull the mask down to cool off a bit, never mind 90F!!!! :o

Yeah, I don’t think I would care as much in the winter! Even in my gym, the track runs partially over the heated pool, so it can get quite warm. It was hot, wet with sweat, and stuck to my face, which is not helpful for breathing. 😓

Running outside is way safer in this pandemic than any indoor activity really so go for it :) Just remember sun screen!

I do 95% of my running outside, but if I am going to the gym to do other workouts, I’d rather get it all done in one place. I only weight train a couple of times per week, so outside it is!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It rained last night, and the temp dropped to 67F, so I got out about 8pm and got in 2 miles. It was nice to run when it was a bit cooler.

Tonight, my body pump class starts back! I am so...pumped. 🤣