June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile Happy Birthday!

I’m so behind on miles this week. It stormed a few nights, and then I went to my gym one evening, but you have to wear a mask inside, and I have decided running with a mask on is NOT going to work for me. I’ll have to deal with the hot weather and run outside until the mask requirement goes away. I felt like I was going to suffocate.

33.8/100 miles
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,127 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @katharmonic Yeah for the nice, cool run! It is crazy weather for June.

You are awesome @AlphaHowls .

Happy Birthday @rheddmobile . I hope you have a great day!

@marisap2010 I don't think I could run with a mask on either! Hope you can get out to do your runs in the cooler part of the day. Just take it slower and hydrate!

• noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    0614-6.6k, total-30.6k goal-100k

Shortish run after dusk. It was still 31 degrees out. Ugh.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    3.1 this morning, followed by the rowing machine.

36.9/100 miles
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 Yeah for a great run and glad you got your vest figured out.

Yeah for a great run for you too @kgirlhart . The cooler temperatures the last couple of days has been great.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I didn't get a chance to post yesterday after my long run, so I'll give my report today. It was 11 miles - PR for distance.

I got up relatively early, but not as early as I had planned. I ate a banana, had a couple cups of coffee, and headed out at 7:45. It was a near perfect morning for a run - 63°F and 72% humidity at the start. It was 73°F and 57% humidity when I finished. That's what happens when you take over 2.5 hours for your run. :lol:

I decided to do the entire run by doing laps on my driveway because it would be in the shade, as opposed to the sun beating down and reflecting off of the asphalt on the road. The downside to that is that it meant a LOT of hills. The lap is around 0.33 miles, so that meant I did 33 - 34 laps! Since I am talking about driveway laps here all of the time, I took some pictures, in the spoiler below, so you can see what it looks like.
    wyrgq1n775uh.jpg
    This is where I start - the area between my house and my shop.
    mmuvdsah1z2u.jpg
    Standing at the same spot as the first picture, just facing the other direction. This is the flattest part of the run.
    4lqgreeg6cf5.jpg
    The first and biggest hill.
    vn93igfvarrt.jpg
    This is a view of that hill from the bottom to try to show how steep it is. This is the reason I usually walk instead of run up this one when I am doing an "easy" run.
    6ltrtjyem3n6.jpg
    From the bottom of the big hill, it goes straight into this smaller hill. I have gotten to where I don't even notice it very much. I think because it isn't very long.
    0bmfottr0wfs.jpg
    There's another short, flat spot at the top of that hill.
    tfqvsifb8jid.jpg
    Then it is down another hill. I turn around about half way down this one, just because I don't want to run up the entire thing. It would be too much.

I did walk up the biggest hill all but one time, which takes about 30 seconds at a fast pace. Here are my thoughts as I ran yesterday.

Miles 1 - 2: This is horrible. I knew I should have hydrated better yesterday. This is going to be miserable. Sure am glad it's a little chilly this morning.

Mile 3-5: This isn't bad. I love that I'm running on the driveway. I can just zone out and know I am going to get to walk in just a few minutes. I can do this all. day. long.

Mile 6: Okay. Who poured lead in my legs? I think I need to break out the Gatorade.

Mile 7 - 8: This is a little better. I think I can. I think I can. I really need to get those headphones so I can quit singing "Wheels on the bus" over and over and over again. I'm pretty sure the original song didn't have a train on the bus. I need a new song. Oh, how about "Five Green and Speckled Frogs." (Can you tell I work at a daycare?)

Mile 9: You have less than a 5K left to run. You. Can. Do. This.

Mile 10: I really want to be done. Wonder if I can run faster to get it over with. I'd better not.

Mile 11: I REALLY WANT TO BE DONE. I am going to run just a bit faster so I can be through. Only two more laps.
    Only one more lap. YEAH! I DID IT! The last mile was my fastest mile, by about 30 seconds.

I was proud of myself. It was slow, but not half as ugly or hard as the 10 miles last week. I'll call that an improvement. My splits were all within 30 seconds of either side of 14:00 minutes. Average pace was 14:22/mile. Elevation gain was 3,370 feet! Avg HR was 149, which is good as I was aiming to keep it below 150.

exercise.png

Well done! This post had me in giggles. I truly feel like this a lot of the time! Thanks for posting the infamous driveway pics. Now I can understand!
    Great running!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,453 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @quilteryoyo fantastic run and PR. Thanks for the pictures. I can now imagine it when you talk about running on your driveway.

@ContraryMaryMary rugby match looks fun. Must be nice not to be in quarantine anymore. Hard to imagine when that will be for us 😒
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,035 Member
    Options
    Great run @quilteryoyo! And seeing yiur driveway it doesn't seem as crazy that you run your driveway as it seemed before. It looks like a lovely place to run.

@ContraryMaryMary How fun! Looks like y'all are really getting back to normal.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo Great run!!!
    And thanks for adding "The Wheels on the Bus" to my in-head repertoire.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary glad you had fun. It's hard to imagine being able to go to something with 40,000 people again!

@quilteryoyo congratulations on your distance PR. I too appreciate seeing your driveway pics and being able to picture it in my head. I can't believe the elevation gain - good for you! Totally relate to your thought processes. :)

@hamsterwheel6 sounds positive with the new vest. I have one I should give a better test run to.

@marisap2010 I can't imagine running with a mask either. I just wouldn't be able to do it. I'm worried about the mask requirements when our gym opens, which has not been announced yet.

Good job @Geneveremfp!

Good run @kgirlhart!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 3.5
    06/02/20 :::: 3.3 :::: 6.8
    06/03/20 :::: 2.4 :::: 9.3
    06/04/20 :::: 3.4 :::: 12.7
    06/05/20 :::: 3.2 :::: 15.9
    06/06/20 :::: 6.8 :::: 22.7
    06/07/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 27.7
    06/08/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 30.8
    06/09/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 33.9
    06/10/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 38.9
    06/11/20 :::: 6.0 :::: 45.0
    06/12/20 :::: 3.0 :::: 48.0
    06/13/20 :::: 10.0 :::: 58.0
    06/14/20 :::: 3.6 :::: 61.6

It was another cool day today, so I decided to take advantage and sleep late. It was lovely. I leisurely had my breakfast and coffee, did some useless statistics, and walked the dog. Got the run done about 11 am and it was a pleasant 63 degrees. Nothing to complain about with this one. And today marked 180 days in a row of running.

Because it was so nice, and I had a lot going on in my head, I decided to take Stella on another walk later in the day. Lots to contemplate about the world, and I didn't even know about the poison toads @PastorVincent mentions. The walk definitely helped. Stella and I walked about 6.8 miles total today so we should both sleep well.

• quilteryoyo
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @Teresa502 That looks like a really nice place to run. I love the start line. Looks like everyone was behaving themselves and standing where they were supposed to. Glad you got to race, even if it was a struggle.

@katharmonic Sounds like a really nice day.

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you appreciate the driveway pictures. Sorry about "The Wheels on the Bus" @Tramboman .

@kgirlhart My driveway would be a really lovely place to run if it weren't for that unforgiving hill. I do like that it is mostly shaded all morning long in the summer.