June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,024 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @katharmonic Looks like a nice place to hike. Not sure about running over all of those rocks and roots. You rock.

Yeah! @Avidkeo . Can hardly wait to see how it goes.

@coolblackcat You are doing great. Slow and steady is the way to go so you don't get injured in the process.

@hmaddpear Awesome virtual race!
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @hmaddpear Congrats on the 10K PR. I've been playing Zombies Run for a few years but this spring was the first time I did the Virtual Race. It was so fun! There is usually one in the spring and the fall. I'm hoping they will be able to do it again this Halloween.

Thank you! I've only done one ZR virtual race, the first one back in 2016. I did the 5k back then, but doing the 5k unlocked the 10k as well, so that's the one I did on Sunday. (Turns out it's the same story, but it's been a while since I listened!)

I'm definitely going to sign up for the next one. In the mean time, I'm inspired to find any other virtual races to do. Does anyone know if there a list somewhere? (Or should I just join a running forum or two?!)

• Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Okay, I made a schedule for the Aravaipa Summertime Binge. What do you think? Any ideas on moving the mileage around? Should I change anything?

venoe4663d2r.png
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @Teresa502 Love the medal. And yes, Yeah for us. I saw that yesterday. I got my 400 mile medal over the weekend too.

@skippygirlsmom Haha about being better today than yesterday. It's almost chilly, isn't it. Weird weather. I love that you are doing the virtual races to support St Jude. I wonder where she gets her medals made? I would love to sponsor a virtual race for the American Cancer Society/Relay For Life. I have been involved with them since my husband passes away from brain cancer in 2006. I was happy to find out they do donate quite a large sum of money to St Jude also.

@kgirlhart Glad you had a great run and that your weather is not unbearable yet.

@Camaramandy648 I think only you can schedule your miles, as you know what other obligations you have. I do like that you are planning some shorter mileage days, especially at the end. That way if you get behind, you wan't have an issue making them up.

@hmaddpear Just google virtual races. There are a few sites out there. Most give some of the proceeds to charity.

• quilteryoyo
    Options
    It was cool here again this morning, and is going to be all day, so I didn't have to get up early to run. That's a big win for me. I got out of the house at around 11 am with a temperature of 63°F and 63% humidity. Really nice conditions. Today's plan called for a Tempo run - 10 minutes easy, 15 minutes medium effort, 10 minutes easy. I did driveway laps and ran a little extra to get in 3 miles, plus one mile of walking.

I ran a little bit faster than normal for my easy pace, but my HR stayed where it should, so I will call that a win. However, I did have a little bit of a problem breathing today - felt more labored that it should have for the effort. I was coughing too, so there must have been something in the air this morning.

My splits were 12:54 (almost all easy effort), 12:17 (all at the medium effort), and 13:28. I'm happy with that.

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 I’m sorry I don’t remember your normal mileage, but I would personally not want to run 22 one day and 20 the next, I might want to move the lower days in the middle of them. Maybe 22 then 12, then 18, then 8 because I know my legs will be tired, but that’s how my brain works.
    @quilteryoyo I’m sorry to hear about your husband, hugs. I’ll ask her where she got them, they are really nice.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,110 Member
    Options
    03/06 2.55 miles
    04/06 2.02 miles
    08/06 2.34 miles
    11/06 2.05 miles
    12/06 2.06 miles
    16/06 2.58 miles

exercise.png

• Camaramandy648
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom @quilteryoyo i have already had to manipulate the schedule a couple of times since posting because of obligations to my kids and job... *sigh* I'm gonna make this happen!
  • Camaramandy648
    edited June 2020
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    6/1 15.45 miles
    6/2 20.48 miles
    6/3 19.34 miles, 765 days on the run
    6/4 20.12 miles
    6/5 20.21 miles
    6/6 26.43 miles
    6/7 1.38 miles Oh look! I rested!
    6/8 15.45 miles, 770 days on the run
    6/9 15.36 miles
    6/10 16.2 miles slog through humidity
    6/11 18.17 miles
    6/12 16.09 miles new shoes!
    6/13 16.15 miles, 775 days on the run
    6/14 31.28 miles beast mode engaged
    6/15 13.42 miles
    6/16 17.22 miles

@AlphaHowls The ones in bold are my favorite ones. :)

Okay so your log is actually inspiring to me. What do you do for fuel when you're running crazy consecutive days like this? I have never done what I am about to do and between the regular nerves and working to heal IT Band injuries (AGAIN), I am kind of freaking out. The clock starts on June 27 and I have ten days from the start to cram in as many miles as I can. It's supposed to be cumulative but I emailed the race director and she said it doesn't matter how many miles I do on which days since it is fixed time. I am currently set at 132 if I follow the plan above. I am working around my two kids' needs, their summer schedule with their dad, and working 10-11 hour days, so my weekday runs can't be too long, nor can they be long on days I have the kids.

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 I'm sorry I don't remember the particular challenge you are doing here, but that sounds brutal. I get what you are saying about your schedule, but I worry about your injuries with that kind of mileage. Be careful!

Great run to enjoy a cooler day @quilteryoyo!

Nice work on the 10k PR @hmaddpear! I've never done zombies run but the idea intrigues me a little.

@kgirlhart good run - always good when you feel like you could do more.

@skippygirlsmom that's very cool about the virtual races for St. Jude's. Great idea and sounds like a really successful fundraising effort. I always worry that not enough gets to the actual charities, but that sounds fantastic.

Just keep up the good work @coolblackcat! Consistency not the mileage is the key to improving.
  • Camaramandy648
    Options
    @katharmonic It is the Summertime Binge, put on by Aravaipa. It's a ten-day, fixed time, cumulative challenge. So. It'll be the hardest thing I've done in terms of running. I don't HAVE to do 132 miles - but that is what's on the calendar. It's a matter of how much healing and strengthening I am able to make my body do and how much running I can ACTUALLY fit in to the set days. It's a ton of mileage, yes. My nerves are getting shot just thinking about it but I'm already committed, so I think the best thing to do is develop a strategy, do the best I can, push myself without further injury, and be graceful if/when I have to say, "Okay, this is as far as these legs will go."

But ya know.... I'm pretty excited too!

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart cream crackered = knackered (really tired). At least I think so haha.

So haven't run yet. Was on call last night so only just woke up. Its miserable outside, very VERY wet. Perfect running weather haha.

I'm really nervous. Leg feels fine. If I end up in pain though I'm going to be really upset. I'm trying to settle my mind before go out cause it will be what it is. I know though I'm going to be really annoyed and frustrated if I need another week off.

Just finishing my coffee, then I'll go