June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner - Rocket City has been my slowest marathon to date! I wasn’t ready for that Alabama humidity.

@Teresa502 For me, the humidity wasn't bad (it was Dec. anyway...). I grew up in Iowa where the summer humidity and heat is some serious stuff. I'm now living in west Tennessee where the summer heat and humidity is pretty much exactly the same as Iowa. To be fair, Iowa can have brutal winters also. We skip winters here.

The month before Rocket City, I started experiencing injuries (non-insertional Achilles tendinitis, then peroneal tendinitis, and then an ankle sprain). The weekend before the Rocket City Marathon, I ran my 2nd slowest (at the time) marathon to date at the St. Jude Memphis Marathon... about 13 seconds faster than my 1st marathon IIRC (my Personal Worst / PW up until then). Finally, a little more than 2 weeks after Rocket City (my new PR), I ran a new PW by more than 12 min. at the New Year's Double - New Year's Eve Marathon in Allen, TX.

How I got a PR sandwiched in between 2 terrible marathons, I'm not entirely sure. My best guess is a combination of traveling for work that week to VT without much time or opportunity to run while traveling (i.e. a forced taper week?) and also that I started using an improved (custom) electrolyte replenishment strategy. I've continued to use that strategy, but haven't been able to duplicate those results. I usually end up slowing down significantly in the 2nd half of a marathon, but for some reason was able to just push and keep going strong all the way that time.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Been awhile since I posted my progress, so just catching up.

exercise.png
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,986 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo You were not out of line at all. I think you handled the dogs well by telling them firmly to get down. The owner should have done that himself. If it had been me I would have done the same except since I carry pepper spray I would have told the guy that if his dogs ever jumped on me like that again I carry pepper spray and I would spray them. But I am on Texas, not sure how NZ feels about pepper spray. But you handled the situation well and the dog owner was an *kitten*.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @Avidkeo You were not out of line at all. I think you handled the dogs well by telling them firmly to get down. The owner should have done that himself. If it had been me I would have done the same except since I carry pepper spray I would have told the guy that if his dogs ever jumped on me like that again I carry pepper spray and I would spray them. But I am on Texas, not sure how NZ feels about pepper spray. But you handled the situation well and the dog owner was an *kitten*.

Sadly...
    7jjo14vqz8a4.jpg

Pretty blunt there haha.

This happened on one of the little side streets by my house. Its not the first time I've had dogs jump me, had a couple of little Jack russle type dogs as well, and also responded by telling them to go home.

Might start just skipping this street, it's not worth the headache - being only around 300m long
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Just did 1.8 miles tonight, and it was intervals because I brought my husband along. I didnt mind having to walk with him. I was happy for his company. I did let him run ahead of me and the dogs, though, and with them trying to chase him, I had to work twice as hard to keep my pace slower and got some nasty Braxton Hicks from it. So I think next time he joins me, either I will take the lead with them, or they can stay home.
    Only ten more miles till goal for this month.
    We got our pictures done earlier this week. Only 9 more weeks until we meet our little man!
    rl97gx1tz8aa.jpg

412fpw9mgwdl.jpg

n5489bpqzmgf.jpg

Beautiful!!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    kgirlhart wrote: »

Sadly...
    7jjo14vqz8a4.jpg

Pretty blunt there haha.

This happened on one of the little side streets by my house. Its not the first time I've had dogs jump me, had a couple of little Jack russle type dogs as well, and also responded by telling them to go home.

Might start just skipping this street, it's not worth the headache - being only around 300m long

You did the right thing, and if that street is a reoccurring problem like it sounds, I would definitely skip it.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Just did 1.8 miles tonight, and it was intervals because I brought my husband along. I didnt mind having to walk with him. I was happy for his company. I did let him run ahead of me and the dogs, though, and with them trying to chase him, I had to work twice as hard to keep my pace slower and got some nasty Braxton Hicks from it. So I think next time he joins me, either I will take the lead with them, or they can stay home.
    Only ten more miles till goal for this month.
    We got our pictures done earlier this week. Only 9 more weeks until we meet our little man!

Great picks!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Hmmm wondering if I was right in this interaction...

Doing a 5k run yesterday, on footpaths in my area. As I passed the 3k mark, a guy was outside with his two dogs, both were greyhoundish (I don't know dogs, am actually afraid of them after my cousin was mauled by a couple of dogs when I was about 9). It appeared to be his home he was outside of, but he was on the footpath not on his property.

The dogs ran at me, and jumped up on me. I stopped, and using my best mum voice told the dogs "down". They got down but the owner said "you don't have to talk to them like that" or something to that effect. I had earphones in so wasn't 100% sure, but he was definitely telling me off. I said what? Incredulous he was telling me off. He said something else, not sure what, but clearly telling me off still. I said. "look, im just running here. It's your responsibility to control your dogs" then kept running, ignoring what ever else he said.

Was I out of line? Or would you have done something similar?

For the record I'm a bit nervous about running past there again but damned if I'm going to let a situation like that scare me off.

You did the right thing, absolutely. Dog owners can sometimes be clueless and often simply can’t fathom that some people don’t like dogs as much as they do. The correct protocol (here in NZ), should it happen again, is to contact Animal Control. You may not be the first this has happened to and the animals may already have a record. Animal Control will can go and talk to the owner if they think it warrants it (they’re pretty good about this kind of thing), and if it happens repeatedly then they will confiscate the dogs or fine the owner.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,986 Member
    Options
    @avidkeo I thought that might be the case for pepper spray in NZ. I would probably avoid that street.

@brittanystebbins95 Beautiful pictures! And great run too.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Hmmm wondering if I was right in this interaction...

Doing a 5k run yesterday, on footpaths in my area. As I passed the 3k mark, a guy was outside with his two dogs, both were greyhoundish (I don't know dogs, am actually afraid of them after my cousin was mauled by a couple of dogs when I was about 9). It appeared to be his home he was outside of, but he was on the footpath not on his property.

The dogs ran at me, and jumped up on me. I stopped, and using my best mum voice told the dogs "down". They got down but the owner said "you don't have to talk to them like that" or something to that effect. I had earphones in so wasn't 100% sure, but he was definitely telling me off. I said what? Incredulous he was telling me off. He said something else, not sure what, but clearly telling me off still. I said. "look, im just running here. It's your responsibility to control your dogs" then kept running, ignoring what ever else he said.

Was I out of line? Or would you have done something similar?

For the record I'm a bit nervous about running past there again but damned if I'm going to let a situation like that scare me off.

No, you were not out of line at all. For the past couple weeks, I've had a dog come out and chase me every time. I've had to stop running to get the dog to stop chasing. Even when I'm walking slowly, it still barks and acts like it is going to try to bite me unless I yell and chase it in return. At first, I thought it was loose and far from home because I had never seen it before. But since, I have noticed it actually lives in the same yard as 2 other smaller dogs that I've seen before and just bark at me from the other side of the fence. This must be a new dog for them. Anyway, I've figured out how it is getting through the fence and keep thinking that I need to spend the time to knock on their door (which will screw up my run just as does having to stop and argue with the dog). My number 1 rule is to look out for number 1 (that's me). I don't want to, but if I must, I will stop the dog before it hurts me. It's safest for that dog to make sure it can't get past that fence.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    @pastorvincent - you can connect Alexa to your Spotify account too. I have many playlists set up in Spotify now and while I also have Amazon music at no cost, I rarely if ever, use it.
    @Avidkeo - I agree with everyone else that the owner was in the wrong and should have controlled his dogs. I am a dog person and I would have been frightened by them too. You can also put your knee up into their chest if you need to to keep them from jumping on you. Depending on the dog, turning your back to them can also work but often they will just come around you. I am much more afraid of the small dogs (Jack Russell terriers especially) because I don't feel like I really have much of a defense with them.
    @brittanystebbins95 - the pictures are beautiful!
    @skippygirlsmom - congratulations to you and the Skippy Girl! The race sounds like fun!

Haven't posted my runs for a while. I have kind of slacked off on my strength training at home because of boredom but am working at getting back into it. The online class I was enjoying through my gym was discontinued so I have been trying a few new ones to see if I can find another one that I like.

Date..........Miles........Total
    06/01.......5.95..........5.95
    06/02.......0.00..........5.95 - Stretch and Roll Class
    06/03.......5.45........11.40
    06/04.......0.00........11.40 - Strength Training @ Home and Stretch and Roll Class
    06/05.......6.51........17.91
    06/06.......4.59........22.50
    06/07.......0.00........22.50 - Strength Training @ Home and Stretch and Roll Class
    06/08.......4.46........26.96 - Agility
    06/09.......0.00........26.96
    06/10.......0.00........26.96
    06/11.......5.30........32.26
    06/12.......6.40........38.66
    06/13.......0.00........38.66
    06/14.......5.86........44.52
    06/15.......3.79........48.31 - Agility
    06/16.......0.00........48.31 - Les Mills CX Worx Class
    06/17.......6.54........54.85
    06/18.......0.00........54.85 - Strength Training @ Home
    06/19.......6.98........61.83
    06/20.......7.63........69.46
    2020 Run the Year Team - 2020 R.I.O.T. (Running Is Our Therapy) 838.90/1000 miles (running and walking)

2020 Planned and Completed Races
    02/02/20 - Surf City Half Marathon
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @pastorvincent - you can connect Alexa to your Spotify account too. I have many playlists set up in Spotify now and while I also have Amazon music at no cost, I rarely if ever, use it.
    @Avidkeo - I agree with everyone else that the owner was in the wrong and should have controlled his dogs. I am a dog person and I would have been frightened by them too. You can also put your knee up into their chest if you need to to keep them from jumping on you. Depending on the dog, turning your back to them can also work but often they will just come around you. I am much more afraid of the small dogs (Jack Russell terriers especially) because I don't feel like I really have much of a defense with them.
    @brittanystebbins95 - the pictures are beautiful!
    @skippygirlsmom - congratulations to you and the Skippy Girl! The race sounds like fun!

Haven't posted my runs for a while. I have kind of slacked off on my strength training at home because of boredom but am working at getting back into it. The online class I was enjoying through my gym was discontinued so I have been trying a few new ones to see if I can find another one that I like.

Date..........Miles........Total
    06/01.......5.95..........5.95
    06/02.......0.00..........5.95 - Stretch and Roll Class
    06/03.......5.45........11.40
    06/04.......0.00........11.40 - Strength Training @ Home and Stretch and Roll Class
    06/05.......6.51........17.91
    06/06.......4.59........22.50
    06/07.......0.00........22.50 - Strength Training @ Home and Stretch and Roll Class
    06/08.......4.46........26.96 - Agility
    06/09.......0.00........26.96
    06/10.......0.00........26.96
    06/11.......5.30........32.26
    06/12.......6.40........38.66
    06/13.......0.00........38.66
    06/14.......5.86........44.52
    06/15.......3.79........48.31 - Agility
    06/16.......0.00........48.31 - Les Mills CX Worx Class
    06/17.......6.54........54.85
    06/18.......0.00........54.85 - Strength Training @ Home
    06/19.......6.98........61.83
    06/20.......7.63........69.46
    2020 Run the Year Team - 2020 R.I.O.T. (Running Is Our Therapy) 838.90/1000 miles (running and walking)

2020 Planned and Completed Races
    02/02/20 - Surf City Half Marathon

Good tips, I'll remember the knee one, thanks! And yeah, just going to avoid the street from now on
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

Yes, there is a level of Amazon music included with Prime, but it only gets you part of their catalog. If you want all the music (which you do not need since you pay for Spotify) you have to pay extra.

If your curious, you can read about it here: Amazon Music Unlimited