30lbs to lose... Started AGAIN yesterday (Darn Lockdown Snacking)

Replies

• @clutterqueen I’d recommend Fitbit for general usage - I had three. The first was a present, then customer support replaced it twice. The second time they ran out of my obsolete watch, so they asked if it was okay if they upgraded me to a Charge 2.

It was okay. :)

Their customer service is great, so I would recommend. I only have a Garmin because I was planning to take my running more seriously and I didn’t want to keep switching between trackers.

Any Fitbit with a HR monitor will do you nicely - the Charge is a good all-rounder.

I’m still a little too groggy to write anything else coherent, but I detect a general current of not feeling good enough. We’re all trying, even when we don’t quite hit our goals, and it’s important we recognise that. All of us have made progress since the day we decided to put our health first - look how far we’ve come!

The weight loss may feel like it’s stalling, but weight loss isn’t linear, and sometimes the scales are just like that. If you look at my graph for the last month, honestly, it looks drunk. It’s a mess. I’ve eaten at a deficit every day and I do not have a nice downward straight line for my efforts.

But, we keep going. We keep going and we keep remembering we are awesome. It’s not a case of if we will hit our respective goals, it’s when, and we have plenty of time to get there. Being kind to ourselves is important.

Chin up, all - there are better days ahead.
  • kcd394
    kcd394 Posts: 391 Member
    @clutterqueen i should mention besides the original tracker all my fitbits poop after a year. One charge hr had that dumb band you couldn't change and it bubbled up all weird so I got a replacement. That one pooped in a year and would not charge whatsoever, so I got 30% off the Blaze for my troubles. The blaze dying may have been my fault. It was eventually shorting out, quit holding charge, and was zapping me on the wrist... I think that was from running it through the wash twice. I was at the time done with fitbit cause I was irritated they all only lasted a year... but I like the sleep tracking and the app and my friends and family on it so much that I caved and got another one. My next one when this versa lite crashes will likely be a general hr monitor fitbit that's less expensive. I'm apparently too tough on them.
  • MommaGemz
    MommaGemz Posts: 494 Member
    Day 91 (Wednesday) That is the day right? Hard to tell :D

I'm feeling much more 'together' today and felt pretty focused. I had an early wake-up call again today when the cat knocked something that crashed on the floor. I realized that I plan to go to bed at night expecting to sleep until my alarm goes off. Inevitably, something happens to wake me up early, so do I just need to go to bed earlier??

Tomorrow is weigh-in day and I don't expect a big loss, I was so distracted this week that I don't feel like I gave it a great effort this week. However, those weeks will happen and I just need to go with that flow.

I started working in some daily meditation followed by some daily writing so I can make some progress on this book. I want to be in a solid habit by the time I start meeting regularly with the publisher. It feels so good to be meditating again, even if just for 15 minutes a day.

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅

50323187181_6790b059e2_n.jpg
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    Thank you everyone for Fitbit/ HRM advice. I guess I’ll just keep my Polar for now.

I think this will end up being my first week without any weight loss( I weigh on Friday). I’ve eaten at a deficit( sometimes very small) every day and not missed a day of exercise. But, based on how tight my rings are, I’m retaining water. I really need to up my water intake to flush it out, but we were on the road today and so I didn’t. Try to minimize public bathrooms or public anywhere really during Covid. Oh well.

Exercise: ✅
    Tracked: ✅
    Under: ✅
  • MommaGemz
    Weigh-In Day - WEEK 13!!

Start: 196.2
    Last week: 178.9

TODAY: 177.7 ✔️

1.2 lbs lost this week - 18.5 lbs lost total!

50326570486_75d26f0778_n.jpg
  • MommaGemz
    @clutterqueen Potassium and Magnesium supplements help to release water retention. I had been taking both for sleep, then stopped because I was lazy, then I really started to hold onto water. I did some research on WT and low and behold, the supplement I had been taking were keeping the water down. I started taking them again and fewer days feeling puffy (and I do sleep a tiny, wee better) :smiley:
  • Have racked up over 13,000 steps so far, mostly as part of my five-mile round trip to/from the doctor's. I was so tired last night I fell asleep without eating, then had to skip breakfast for the blood test, then had my blood taken, and it was really warm... so the journey back was very slow and rambly. I have never been happier to eat lunch, I was starved!

Tomorrow I have to go out for another appointment, but it's too far to hike, so I'm going to have to brave a taxi I think. It's either that or public transport, and I don't know if I'm ready to get the underground. We'll see how I feel in the morning.

I'm also out on Saturday - being brave and going out for lunch for the first time since lockdown. It's at a place where there is no nutritional info available, but it's all fresh stuff, I have to walk three miles in total, and I'm only going to have one dish, so that should limit the damage. I thought I'd try somewhere I know well, and at the weekend, which is bound to be less popular due to the ongoing Monday to Wednesday discounts in my city.

I still hate going out in public - there aren't many people wearing masks, and I have to fight a tide of anxiety each time.

My weight is firmly hovering around 173lb - I don't know why it won't just budge! But this week has been unusual with the skipped meals and walking, so the shake up should hopefully make the scales start moving again soon.

Today I am going to make an effort to eat every single one of my calories and get back on track.

Blood tests should hopefully come back within a week or so. Really hoping they'll shed some light.

@clutterqueen Sorry the scales are being stubborn for you too! The thing about water retention is it does eventually end, and that leads to a nice whooosh on the scales. It will happen in time... something to look forward to!
  • clutterqueen
    @MommaGemz. Thank you for the tip about magnesium and potassium. Supposedly, more people these days are low on magnesium and I take it every day. I take magnesium citrate because the body absorbs it easier. I took a little extra tonight to see if that helps. Had nothing to drink but water today.

@thelastnightingale I can’t imagine walking 5 miles round trip to see the Dr! And without eating! You are a tough one!
    I’m glad you are finally going to get to go out for lunch. I know what you mean about feeling anxiety when people are not wearing masks! I’ve finally eaten at a couple of restaurants, but only outside where we are at least 20 feet away from others. That means going at odd times like 2:30 or 3 for lunch but it’s worth it. Otherwise, it’s not worth the anxiety to me! Keep us posted on the blood test results! We all want you to feel 100%!

My day:
  • GabiV125
    GabiV125 Posts: 3,114 Member
    Nadiamayl- I hope yesterday was full of warm memories and you have been surrounded by love and kindness.
    Mommagemz- hurray for your incredible 3 months journey. I love your graphs, and 18.5 lb are a great accomplishment!
    Kcd394- don’t stress out for free lunches at work. Kind people are hard to find , especially in the business world. Learn what works best for you, to keep within the lines of your plan and enjoy.
    Thelastnightingale: nice long walk 13000, great workout. Your meal out sounds delicious. Love how well you planned it: something you truly missed, at a time when is not going be busy, and also the trip there. Wish nice places could be in walking distance for me too.

It seems like we all felt like we did not make terrible progress this past several days, but I think we were wrong. We messed up some, that’s true, but recalibrated, the scale is pretty stagnant, but it did not increase, in one form or another we’d been busier , but that only means we were more active and productive. Let’s tweak the bad, keep the good and continue marching.

Check in for Wednesday and Thursday
    Eat sensible : ✅ +100
    Steps: ✅
    Reading: ❌
  • MommaGemz
    Day 92 (Thursday)

The standout issue about today is that I was starving all day long! I was hungry between meals, during meals, and even right after. I am super hungry even now! And I ate all the same foods I normally do. So tomorrow I am re-feeding myself. My husband and I will get Indian take-out for lunch and I'll get a good meal in my belly.

I have also decided that it is incredibly important for my self-care to have one "No Work" day a week. It will be Saturday. No teaching, no work, and no errands. I will make sure it is all done during the week, so I can have a day of downtime to recuperate. I'll still have my weight loss goals, but I can sleep in and not worry about any tasks for the day.

Daily Goals:

Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅
  • MommaGemz
    @thelastnightingale I am so, so sorry you're having to go through all that testing! What a stressor! And the added stress of getting there safely. Good for you for deciding to have a nice lunch out on Saturday - I hope you enjoy it!
  • GabiV125
    GabiV125 Posts: 3,114 Member
    I went Thursday and Friday in the office and the week finished with a bang.
    I had at 9 what was supposed to be a 30 minutes informal meeting and it lasted 3 hours . I got home at 2PM super hungry and exhausted.
    Must have been the extra boring time, or the fact that I woke up at 5, because the other days this week I fasted up to 3 and was feeling fine.
    Got home and ate, and then ate some more, but after I logged I’m right on par. Not an accomplishment to stuff an entire day in one hour, but plan to walk the dog to bits, so I have a chance to finish the day in green.
    That’s my cautionary tale. Hope you’re starting the weekend better!
  • Blood tests came back quickly. Hilariously, I slept through my phone appointment to discuss the results. Luckily the nurse was running late and had cancelled anyway, so I didn't actually miss an appointment, but if you can't stay awake to discuss the results of tests for why you are so tired, there has to be something not quite right... Have rebooked for Sunday (the next available time).

Did some more walking today - I'm really getting my steps in all of a sudden. Not sure how the scales are going to react to all to this unexpected exercise. I'm guessing some water retention to start with.

@MommaGemz How was the takeout?

@GabiV125 I find it super useful to record when I eat, not just what I eat. If you don't have MFP premium, you can make notes in a spreadsheet instead. A lot of my previous bad decisions have been made due to being stuck at work for longer than anticipated and being starving when making food choices! It was useful to review and confirm this.

Well done for recovering though and getting some exercise in with the dog. Do post a pic sometime if you get a chance - we love seeing animal photos. :)

Right, tomorrow is going out for lunch day. Let's see if I can get through it without freaking out.

Oh, and in other news, my dad's op went well. I haven't posted about his illness or the fact he had an operation coming up, but it's been a huge worry for me over the last few months. He's in a lot of pain, but the op seemed to do what it was supposed to do, so now we wait for him to recover, and for the doctors to review. I'm just grateful he's still alive.

I hope you're doing okay, @NadiaMayl and I'm sorry for not acknowledging the anniversary of your father's passing earlier. It was difficult for me to think of fathers and dying so close to my own dad's op, and it was a bit selfish to retreat. I can't imagine what it's like to be grieving the loss of a parent, and I hope you've managed to stay strong and step away from the snacks.

The only advice I can give is the generic advice I always give - and that's to be kind to yourself. Slip ups in times of emotional stress are normal, and okay. The important thing is we recover from them, and we keep going. Anyway, I haven't said it, but I have been thinking of you at this time and sending you my very best.
  • kcd394
    kcd394 Posts: 391 Member
    @NadiaMayl my thoughts have been with you too. Coming up on the third anniversary of losing my grandpa and my stepdad (who was my other dad growing up). Was close with both, and lost both within a couple weeks of each other during the most stressful period of my life (veterinary school) while being stuck 1500 miles away... it never hurts less, but know you aren't alone. I had planned to call my stepdad on a Sunday, and when I finished work at 730 that Saturday night I got the call from my stepbrother. I sure wish I had called more Sundays to chat. Those of you who still have parents and grandparents, don't forget to call them once in a while.

@thelastnightingale that's some serious increase in walking... hopefully you find out some useful information sunday. I feel sore all over just from my 1 mile powerwalk last night...

Yesterday i managed to say no to the fun sized candy bars on the break room table but i really had to work at it. Its like ive started all over retraining myself how much to eat and be ok with... I've been hungry... so hungry.
    Yesterday i did ok though and walked a mile on my treadmill while watching football. With steps etc i was at a deficit at least. Today i caved and had one fun sized twix bar. Its that TOM finally and I was still so hungry today... i also grabbed a fun sized snickers but i didnt eat it. Maybe tomorrow.
    Came to Matt's and his mom is cooking again so I have no idea how to go about logging dinner... it was a zucchinni tomato soup of sorts italian style with sausage in it. Plus some scalloped potatoes and beef roast. I tried to eat smaller portions and the soup I don't think was super dense with calories so I have no idea if I over or under did it but I still feel hungry, been battling a migraine since 2, and I'm exhausted.

Good news is I went from 188.6 when i got back to my scale Tuesday down to 187.5 this morning. Gonna get some good rest tonight and hopefully can figure out how to log what I get fed this weekend. Haven't been able to post for 3 days as I was one of the users not able to log in to post, but I could find and read the thread...
    I think I'll make Friday's my new weigh in date.
    Today 187.5
    Mini goal <180 by September 2nd

• clutterqueen
    @thelastnightingale If you were so tired you missed getting the results of your bloodwork, It sounds like there’s a problem. Hopefully it’s something easily addressed like just needing more iron.
    I hope you enjoy your lunch out tomorrow!

@kcd394 It’s pretty impressive you held yourself to eating only one fun sized Twix bar with probably having to walk by those treats multiple times a day!! Good job dropping another pound plus!

@Gabiv125 Great job of not scarfing down everything after having to wait so long to eat! That was a feat!

@MommaGemz. I think it’s a wonderful idea making sure you have one day a week with no work and no errands! That should be refreshing! Enjoy the Indian take out tomorrow!

My day:

As expected the scale showed a 1/2 pound gain this week. Hoping it goes the other direction next week as I haven’t gone over on calories and exercised hard for over an hour each day. The only other possibility is the loss last week was more than it should’ve been and things evened out.
    My first instinct was to think, what difference does it make- I’ll never lose these last 6 pounds! And just eat everything in sight. Luckily after I ate one cookie, I logged it and got control of my feelings, or more accurately my actions! I have to say, if I weren’t reporting in each day, I probably would’ve succumbed to the wallowing and then stuffing my face! So thank you everyone for checking in each day so I feel some accountability! It really does make a difference!

• @clutterqueen No matter what weight I am, there will always be a greedy, fat girl on the inside demanding more food and I just have to live with her. I'm getting better at winning the argument with myself and only eating when I'm actually hungry, but the fat girl inside is always going to be screaming 'but why not have seconds anyway?'

The last 6lb are often harder than the first 6lb. I think people who are closer to their GW often have a tougher time than those starting out, as they've already lost all the initial water weight and they've already scaled back their eating. It's difficult, but you will get there. You're doing so well - you're being consistent and accountable and you keep doing a tremendous job of not falling off the wagon despite being on a bumpy road.

@kcd394 I always struggle logging other people's cooking too! Today I'm just going to guess as close as I can, and aim to get in lots of extra walking (and not eat back the calories) to give myself a margin of error. I think that's all you can do really when you're not sure of the calories - eat mindfully (so enjoy each mouthful) and do some extra exercise.
  • MommaGemz
    Day 93 (Friday)

Indian take-out lunch was soooo delicious, and I finally felt satisfied. I had been feeling constantly hungry for a couple of days. I guess I have to remember that ultimately, food IS fuel. If I'm eating at a deficit for a prolonged amount of time, my body is going to start to deeply feel that deficit. Indian food is a good option for me, because it doesn't have the same MSG or sodium content that Chinese food does, and it's a food that I can't just make at home (like I can Italian food), so it's extra satisfying.

Saturday is sleep-in and "no work" day - Hurray!

Daily Goals:
    Calories - Nope
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅
  • MommaGemz
    GabiV125 wrote: »
    It seems like we all felt like we did not make terrible progress this past several days, but I think we were wrong. We messed up some, that’s true, but recalibrated, the scale is pretty stagnant, but it did not increase, in one form or another we’d been busier , but that only means we were more active and productive. Let’s tweak the bad, keep the good and continue marching.

For me this is incredibly spot on and such a healthy reminder. I can be my very own worst critic and I feel like I have done "terribly" this week. But actually, I hung in there a little gentler than normal and still made good progress. Also, the occasional "mistake" is not going to ruin the whole journey. Fantastic!

@thelastnightingale Hurry that your Dad's operation went well! Wishing him a swift recovery!

@kcd394 Great losses already! And cheers for passing up the candy bars! Eating at someone else's home is always hard, but I think you had the right strategy. Try to eat reasonable portions and don't worry about the logging.

@clutterqueen As has been said already - that last 6 pounds will be the hardest - hang in there! It shows great awareness and determination to have one cookie and stop. You can do it!!

• clutterqueen
    @MommaGemz Sounds like you were really depleted and really needed a good meal in you! Glad you got to have a meal that was so satisfying!

@thelastnightingale I can certainly relate to your talking about the fat girl inside asking for more! And yes, the last 6 pounds are the hardest!

• MommaGemz
    Day 94 (Saturday)

Sleeping in today was soooooo nice. And my husband and son even cooked me breakfast in bed 😍 Eggs and toast - a nice diet friendly breakfast. I took my "no work" day and it was really rejuvenating. But then our clothes washer busted and I had a some time of wanting to eat my feelings. It's all good. Tomorrow we get a new one.

I didn't have as much of a weight 'bump' after our take-out lunch today. I guess my body really needed that food!

Daily Goals:
    Calories - ✅
    Steps - ✅
    Water - ✅

50336004566_db15dc44b9_n.jpg