July 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I think I prefer running in the summer, as long as it isn’t in the middle of the day. I don’t really like all of the layers you have to wear in winter.

That is another thing. During the winter I need like 14 days to bundle up to run for an hour or 2 and then have 50 loads of wash to do to clean all those layers.

In the summer I am running as close to naked as modesty will allow! :D
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    Definitely anytime other than summer for me. Like others though we don't have extreme winters in So CA but summers can be pretty miserable like today 98F feels like 102F but the humidity is only 25%. I am hoping it will cool off a little, at least back into a more normal pattern in the next few weeks and by the time I can actually start running again.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I was going to get up and do my long run this morning, but my friend wanted to play tennis again. So, I got up early to play tennis. The weather was much nicer today than it was on Wednesday...still fairly hot, but the humidity was way down and there was a breeze. I played singles tennis for almost 2 hours.

Then, I mowed the lawn this afternoon. It took me over 2.5 hours. It was in the low 80's, but the humidity was only 51% and the breeze continued, so it didn't feel too bad.

I did get a couple of boo boos. Something shot out from underneath the back of the lawn mower and hit my right calf. I looked and it had a small cut, but wasn't too bad, so kept going. I did say out loud, "That one hurt." I'm pretty sure my lawn mower took that as a challenge and said, "Hold my beer and watch this." :lol: About 3 steps later something bigger shot out and hit my left calf. It REALLY hurt. I looked down and blood was running into my shoe, so I had to stop, come to the house, clean myself up, and then go back to finish mowing. Both spots are swollen, like a pump knot. The left one is a lot worse. I'm wondering, from the medical people on here, and those who play doctor on MFP, should I run tomorrow if it is sore, or should I just ice it and rest it for a day? Pictures below. They aren't really gross and don't really show the extent of the knots. It's the best I could do.
    mn81fw3adcrv.jpg
    5cb5jc6x93le.jpg
    qemdt6irmz4k.jpg
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,708 Member
    Options
    I did get a couple of boo boos. Something shot out from underneath the back of the lawn mower and hit my right calf. I looked and it had a small cut, but wasn't too bad, so kept going. I did say out loud, "That one hurt." I'm pretty sure my lawn mower took that as a challenge and said, "Hold my beer and watch this." :lol: About 3 steps later something bigger shot out and hit my left calf. It REALLY hurt. I looked down and blood was running into my shoe, so I had to stop, come to the house, clean myself up, and then go back to finish mowing. Both spots are swollen, like a pump knot. The left one is a lot worse. I'm wondering, from the medical people on here, and those who play doctor on MFP, should I run tomorrow if it is sore, or should I just ice it and rest it for a day? Pictures below. They aren't really gross and don't really show the extent of the knots. It's the best I could do.
    mn81fw3adcrv.jpg
    5cb5jc6x93le.jpg
    qemdt6irmz4k.jpg

Yikes! I would keep an eye on them and make sure something isn't embedded in the wound. I imagine they will look worse tomorrow. I would definitely consider a rest day....
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I agree on making sure it is clean and that there are no foreign objects in that wound. If there are, grab some tweezers and an irrigation syringe to clean up well. Cover it and seal it off, changing the dressing at least daily and keep it very clean. If you feel fine running, just be sure it is covered well so that it doesn't get dirty while out.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Ouch @quilteryoyo ! The extent of the bruising shows just how hard that impact was! I bet you may be too sore to run. You ever find out what it was? I agree with The Carnivore, check it for something imbedded. Maybe you can run/walk tomorrow. I can’t personally imagine a reason not to get out, other than the discomfort. Definitely ice it all you want. And are you up to date on your tetanus shot? Watch the edges for any graying or oddness, seek medical attention if you are ever concerned about it.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I agree on making sure it is clean and that there are no foreign objects in that wound. If there are, grab some tweezers and an irrigation syringe to clean up well. Cover it and seal it off, changing the dressing at least daily and keep it very clean. If you feel fine running, just be sure it is covered well so that it doesn't get dirty while out.

Do all this, but I suggest you give it a rest day so the skin can bind over the hole.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - Yikes! Those look sore! I agree with @Elise4270 and others, make sure there is nothing embedded in there and keep an eye out for infection. If you haven't had a tetanus shot for a long while I would definitely see about getting one.

Note - this is one of many reasons I stay far away from lawn mowers 😂
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Ouch, @quilteryoyo! I would take a day to make sure it is clean and to let it heal a bit. Maybe go out into your yard today to the area where it happened to see if you see anything on the ground that may have been the culprit.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    7-1 7k slow
    7-2 7k slow
    7-3 7k between slow and easy
    7-4 7k ditto
    7-5 7k closer to easy
    7-6 rest
    7-7 7k slow
    7-8 7k easy
    7-9 7k slow
    7-10 7k slow
    7-11 7k easy
    7-12 7k slow

July Total: 77k
    July Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k
    June Total: 156k

2020 Total through June: 1056k

Sunny, upper 60s F and little wind today. Back popped during the night, so it was stiff today, but not particularly painful. Saw a gray squirrel, a rabbit, and a black chipmunk.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    It was a fairly pleasant 71 degrees when I headed out this morning. Today’s plan was to run an 8K to get this weekend’s virtual badge for the Rock n Roll virtual series. Took me a minute and a half longer than my goal time, which isn’t too bad. Now, I just want to take a nap, but I’m mentoring this afternoon, so maybe I’ll have a second cup of coffee instead...
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    That looks like a most excellent place to hike, @katharmonic
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I did decide to take today as a rest day in order to let it heal a little. I iced it last night. I was expecting it to look a lot worse this morning, but it's about the same. As soon as it happened, I did come to the house and clean it up and put hydrogen peroxide on it. I didn't see anything embedded, but will keep an eye out for infection, for sure. I am pretty sure it was a rock. I was mowing along the edge of the driveway where there is gravel from pre-pavement driveway days.

The more important thing is to take a sledge hammer to that lawnmower to teach it not to try those tricks again.

This will also get you the cardio you are missing out on because of it! 🤣
    HAHAHA So true!

@hamsterwheel6 Glad you had a nice vacation and got a little running in. Sounds like you had a nice run today.

Love the hiking pictures @katharmonic ! Again, amazing that you ran the next day.

• Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    Amazing hiking pictures @katharmonic!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Great pictures, @katharmonic !!!